Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

league 2011

Go down 
+6
Lilylady11
walsheman
lilylady
kelf
TheBigFullForward
centreback
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

league 2011 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 7:02 am

Haven't heard, wasn't talking to anyone since Sunday.

Tracy, with a chest infection, should be fine for Sunday but Stacy could be a doubt. Would be great if one or both are fit.

Kildare have not beaten Galway in my time (2000 to date) but did they ever?
Would have met in League in Nienties, when both were Junior.

My memory of 2000 in Tuam when the Bull grabbed Janice by the pony tail as she was in full flight. Never saw the like before or since. Galway are generally, like their men, a stylish football team but do defend hard.
Messi just missed a sitter
Back to top Go down
Lilylady11
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Didnt bother with the game yesterday, was in Newbridge for the Derry game. My God what a terrible state that grounds is in!
Anybody got any thoughts on the ladies against Galway? Was it a decent performance or was it another hard luck story??
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 1:50 am

Galway probably feel hard done by. Leading 2 mins into injury time as Kildare kick 2 wides. Then try a short kick out to left corner back . Under pressure from COM, she plays it well indide the 20 so free in very near the side line. Catherine just kept the cool and slotted it.
Not the best display. Not getting the breaks but held Galway ( who had the strong wind blowing straight down the field) to 1 points in 20 mins. A Yellow card (after 15 min) gave GY a chance and they kicked a few pts and the goal came just after Kildare back at full strength. 1 - 5 to 0 - 3 at HT..
On resumption4 points before Gy flurry yielded a point, then a goal when a ball left to go wide held up. 5 Ke points to level with 3 mins left and a sitter free not awarded for the lead (Noelle again the victim !!!) and GY broke for first score for 20 mins before COM did the bussiness.
Stac & Donnay did not start but Donna came on while Mary H had to go off at HT and Kate had to retire injured near the end.
First time we ever got " a result" v Galway so a positive and in top 4.
Monaghan next in 2 weeks. They are Top of the League
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:21 am

I wasn't there but my initial reaction when I heard the result was disappointment... LL was obviously right that Galway are tough but they are nothing like the force of old... I guess maybe because we were never a force at this level, that puts us on a par with each other.

Looking at the scoreline, it seems obvious again that one side of the field is doing its job but that they cannot stop conceding goals. It is a problem that has cost them some pile of games over the years.

You'd have to be happy with the fact that they snatched the draw in the end but I'd say that's a point lost. What were the other results?
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:40 am

All Results & League Tables on

www.ladiesgaelic.ie

Donegal beating Tyrone in Tyrone the most notable.
Back to top Go down
lilylady
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:30 am

Here`s a quick brief on how i think the girls did.

Lily ray 5 kickouts weren`t the best and didn`t do much to stop the 2 goals either.
Trish Deelahunt 7.5 cleaned both her markers out of it.
Ash Savage 5 never really got to grips with the number 12 who seemed to cause a good bit of damage
Niamh Quinn 5 also under pressure gave away alot of frees too.
Brianne Leahy 8 as usual one of our better players she is really flying at wing back
Kate Leahy 6 not her best game her opponent was good and kate seemed to be fouling an awfull lot aswell.
Ash Holton 8 another girl enjoying playing wing back great option going forward also cleaned her woman out of it too.
Joanna Timmons 5 ran out of steam again taking off in 2nd half her replacement was no good either not sure who she is, missed Joanna not winning ball in the middle which she done well against cork and laois hopefully back to her best next week.
Maria Moolick 7.5 done well going forward and worked hard.
Dee Gately 6 never really got into the game.
Noelle Earley 7 brilliant driving forward just didnt get on the ball enough
Mary Hulgraine 5 struggled to get out in front missed a good goal chance early on too.
Aine gately 8 almost like she had a point to prove and she did with 5 or 6 points i`d say.
Tracey Noone 7 played well always looking for the ball and got a few scores too.
Catherine O`Malley 8 great point at the end to level the game shes turning out to be some footballer.

Last edited by lilylady on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:50 am

i`d be happy with that result considering galway were in league final last year but again like last week we failed to take our goal chances we had two very good goal chances and missed both need to be putting these away cause we will need another win if we are to stay up.
with tough game against monaghan i cant see us getting anything here but mayo and tyrone would be the games i can see us getting them points out of. donegal will be hard up there they are going well so cant see us getting anything up there either.
there was a few decisions yesterday that puzzled me what was up with donna being dropped i thought it strange even to take her off last week as she done better on valery mul than niamh did when she came in. also joanna seems to be a 50min player so why not hold niamh to come on here for the last 10mins i can see that position suiting her more. the tierney girl that came on has gone back a good bit i seen ciara hogan warming up surely she would be better option there i`m suprised she hasn`t got a run yet.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:47 am

Scorere were

Catherine 0 - 4 (all frees)
Aine 0 - 3 ( 2 frs)
Moo 0 - 2
Tracy 0 - 2
Mary H 0 - 1 (fr)
Noelle 0 - 1
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:02 pm

I heard Trish Del was awesome, I'd have her on any team
Back to top Go down
lilylady
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:52 pm

I wouldn`t go that far ogie she has been doing well this year does a good marking job not many girls get scores off her which is good to have a player like that in every team but she lacks confidence on the ball but shes very young still so might grow in confidence with age.

Centreback Tyrone wont be easy at all they were in the all Ireland final last year and beat Cork on the way i think we would have a more realistic chance of beating donegal but wont be easy either.
Laois and Mayo might not get another point so if that happen we stay up but it would be insurance to get another win.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 10:08 pm

lilylady wrote:
I wouldn`t go that far ogie she has been doing well this year does a good marking job not many girls get scores off her which is good to have a player like that in every team but she lacks confidence on the ball but shes very young still so might grow in confidence with age.

Centreback Tyrone wont be easy at all they were in the all Ireland final last year and beat Cork on the way i think we would have a more realistic chance of beating donegal but wont be easy either.
Laois and Mayo might not get another point so if that happen we stay up but it would be insurance to get another win.

You're right LL, that will come - but the biggest problem in ladies football, especially for defenders, is the lack of aggression. Trish has no fear. The problem is that she is so aggressive, some refs and onlookers consider it unladylike and think it's a foul whereas in fact she just showed no regard for her own safety and was willing to get hurt to win a ball... I've seen it countless times and I'm not a Castlemitchell clubperson I might add. She is a round slot for a round hole i.e. she's a proper, natural defender, not a made defender. Her first job is to stop her player scoring, to mark a player, especially if she's in the full-back line... so that's not just good, it's imperative. It's lovely having your two best footballers wing-back, providing attacking impetus but if you have that, you need a really solid full-back line and a rock at centre-back.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 6:13 am

Ogie, I totaly agree with your point regarding ref's and I would go as far as to say some of the law makers in the womens game have the same dare I say it sexist view. Trish is a proper out and out defender, no quarter asked or given, if Kildare had another one like her in the fullback line they would not concede as many goals
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 10:03 pm

she is brave for the size of her but the best thing about her for me is she doesn`t dive in all the time she knows when the ball is there to be won and she knows when to stand up her woman aswell, some of the defenders dive in an awfull lot and end up on the ground leaving an easy score for the opposition. this sunday will be a huge test for the team against the best team at the moment i just hope stacey is back to knock in another hat-trick and we also have to keep a clean sheet if we are to cause an upset
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 10:08 am

A good number 2 or 4 will always know when to attack the ball or not and when to shadow and cut off the angle, she does all this well
Back to top Go down
littleSam
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Anyone know why donna berry was left on the bench for the last game?
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 5:39 am

I for one dont know but in the Cork game Donna got injured early but did come back on at the end.

I suspect only Donna & Paul know the answer.

She did well when introduced (twice) v Galway and Stacy should be fine for the Monaghan game, she was ok but not risked v Galway.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 5:45 am

Anyone at the Monaghan game?
Back to top Go down
lilylady
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Yea it was the same story as the cork game right in the game up till the last quarter and were beaten well in the last quarter i`m really starting to believe in this team where as i would have been critical of them in the past i`m beginning to see them make big strides forward this year in the way they play i can see them winning there last 3 games and pushing for a high place finish
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 1:39 am

one question i have to ask is why did they change a winning team against laois who beat tyrone last week we played a normal 15 with no sweeper over the last 3 games the management team has resorted to playing ash holton as a sweeper playing corner forward this was a tactic tried last year and didnt work in my view, the best football ive seen this kildare team play was against laois and cork this year the basis for this was the strong half back line playing the sweeper lets the half forward line and midfield think they don`t have to track back as much and yesterday we were slaughtered from the counter attacks and over laps all over the field they really have to go back to the way it was working the next 2 games are vital for survival now or a chance at a semi final.
have to say best game ive seen ash savage play she was excellent yesterday
Back to top Go down
Lilylady11
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 6:17 am

centreback wrote:
your very hard to talk to at all. i explained why i thought it wasn`t a penalty and you just state it was a penalty do ya care to explain what you seen?

Have a look at 1.12 on the clock and don't ask anymore silly questions!
http://www.kildaregaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=288&Itemid=257

I said at the beginning that I didnt see any massive change in this team from last year or the year before, and I stand by that.
The basic elements are badly missing from the team. An overlap in senior intercounty football is criminal and its constantly happening. This is a direct result of a player not doing her job.

I dont share any optimisim for the Summer, especially if the likes of Noelle are going off on their travels after the league.
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 1:19 am

yea looking at that it was a penalty but i still believe that kildare were every bit as good as cork that day just a few decessions went against us that video doesn`t show where noelle was through for a definite score and was pushed from behind and gets no free at a crucial stage in the match il also point you to 6:47 in that match where kildare win a free where the girl is fouled in the box you can clearly see from the video and from where the free is taken from(the edge of the box) that the foul happened inside the box but no penalty given.

i wouldn`t agree that there hasn`t been a change in this team from last year the laois and cork games there was huge change but the management have gone back to there old ways with playing a sweeper and its not working i hope he goes back to the best team for the donegal game with no sweeper and everyone knowing there job is to get back and support. looking at that cork game again cork didnt create much overlaps at all maria brianne holton and joanna were causing problems for there defenders though.
Back to top Go down
Lilylady11
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 2:29 am

The only change I have seen in the team is the intensity in their tackling, they are that bit more aggressive than before but they're not benefitting enough from this because of a lack of cuteness.
The defenders MUST be seen to attack AND WIN the ball FIRST. If any part of the player in posession is touched first, then its a free in. Now if the defender win s the ball and happens to catch the player in a follow through motion, well thats not a free.Classic examples of this are Donna Berry and Trish Delahunt.

I dont see these players being coached anything. I see them being trained physically but wheres the one to one coaching? The little things that managers spot - or should spot? The same mistakes are being made week in week out.

I spoke of a tactical ineptness after the first game and you accused me of having a vendetta CB. I'm glad that you have now seen this.
I suspect the reason they have started playing Holton as a sweeper is to try and cut out the killer goal concessions. To put it bluntly, this team is not good enough to go man for man with the top teams in the country.

You say there wasn't many overlaps in the Cork game??
I disagree, everytime the Cork midfield attacked, they did so freely with their direct markers still standing in the centre of the field.
Remember again, this wasn't even haf a Cork team that ran out 8 point winners in the end.
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 1:56 am

you say you spoke of tactical ineptness after the first game first of all you never posted anything after the first game your very first post came after the cork game when you had a chance to put this team down again. you said in that post that the galway game would tell us more about this team as if to say galway will kick the shit outta them then when kildare got a result against them you still didin`t let up also ive read your 8 posts you never spoke once of tactical ineptness.

i would like you to point me to a stage in the video of the cork game (which shows all of corks scores) and show me an overlap. thats not including niamh quinn diving in and causing overlaps in the full forward line
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:38 am

Must be a long list......
Back to top Go down
Lilylady11
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Ogie wrote:
Must be a long list......

Sorry smart arse but some of us have lives outside of computer screens and football.

It seems I owe you an apology CB, the overlap may not have been as frequent in the COrk game as they were in the Laois one.
There are a number of players on this team who are constantly allowing their opposing marker to raid up the field unmarked.

I still maintain that management have reverted to playing Holton as a sweeper because they realise the team is nowhere near good enough to go man for man with the stronger teams around.

With 2 games left against Mayo & Donegal, there is still s threat of this team being relegated. Mayo will have better, more clinical players than Kildare and Donegal..........well we all saw what Donegal did to this team last year. Donegal have improved, have Kildare?

Worrying times ahead for this county team. More annoying is the fact that this group are being given preference over the huge number of genuine hard working club footballers in Kildare.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: league 2011   league 2011 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

league 2011
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next