Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012

Go down 
+83
cilldara07
Stekhli
lillyboy
kartman
Bān go Lēir
totalgaa
totheline
bob12
Bad News Baba
lilysavage
fargo
wingback
smokey
Son of Sarsfields
Lilly07
Admin3
parcel
trueblue
ElGuerrouj
SamMaguire
lomond
losthope
Dinny Breen
Loads of Pints
shoutitout
Horsebox
peile
topcat
Lily8
Frankel
abl
Highball
FearBan
Botch
Stonecold
rgb
jj
Sam1928
tomoneillandhissisteranne
kelf
Fear An Geata
lastline
KILL BILL
BelieveToAchieve
Flamingo
KFSAM
carburyman
midfieldmaestro
overthebar
analysis
Onhisboot
steviegenius
naked-lilly
hawker
standhimup
johnsmyth
Ohtoohtobe
murof
bag of white
nuxer
Jimmy winning matches
Rex
centreback
Ogie
Come on the Boys in Blue
Could'nt Trap Cement
Big Full Back
bluetown
Taibi
FreshMixer
milltownmary
Oneill
kildaregaa365
TommyKeegan
MD
lilywhites on tour
stanley
kickingking
Athyman
flourman
tomcruise
if_in_doubt
Gaffer
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
fargo
Senior
Senior

Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Ogie wrote:
fargo wrote:
Ogie wrote:
Staggering how more or less 80 years of anonymity is conveniently forgotten, that this discussion is taking place. Sometimes you get what you deserve and sometimes you don't deserve what you've got. Things may go stale and they may never win another game under McGeeney. Surely that would never cloud where this team has improved from, at a point when Kildare were regularly embarrassed, to where getting to an All-Ireland quarter-final is not considered good enough. Fuck me sideways.

This is the nub of all this drivel .You come out with some rare ones ,but this is a new departure . For these continuing quarter final appearances on foot of qualifier victories over weaker counties to be presented as sucess you have you make us out to have been an absolute football backwater Like who are you putting us in the same category as when you refer to the anonymity ?, Clare ,Waterford ,Kilkenny .
Im following Kildare a long time now and they have always been a really well supported county with a rich and proud history and rich culture of their own .How many anonymous counties appeared in an all Ireland Final inside the last 15 years ,won their provincial championship twice in the same period . Inside the last decade we won two provincial u-21s and appeared in the all Ireland at the same age grade . What other anonymous counties are matching that ?.
We featured players of the quality of JD and Dermot for more than the last Decade . Before that Lynch ,Glen, Nuckser.....God they were very anonymous , sure who ever heard of Kildare in that era .
Youre going back 80 years then in your assertions , Throughout the 70s Kildare were regular Leinster Finalists in the only province that could provide teams that actually were beating Kerry .
In the 60s they won the all Ireland U-21 .In the Fifties they won the Leinster .All this time they were renowned for the support they brought .
Underachieving maybe ,anonymous ? By no stretch of anyones imagination .

It would be nothing new for me to have my spouting described as drivel but new departure is a real compliment, thanks fargo. I'll stick with my drivel though against your genius. And let's be accurate in quoting what I said here "more or lee anonymous". Outside of the county, no-one knew Kildare existed until Mick O'Dwyer came here. That might offend you, but it's the truth. As for beating Kerry - you must be talking about the league because you're not talking about the championship apart from 1998. So really, it's embarrassing in itself bringing that into the argument.

There have been some outstanding players, no question. I But over the 80 years, Kildare have had little impact on wider consciousness, a few Leinsters in the 30s, '56, (the U21 teams would have had no impact on the wider GAA world), a couple of heady years from '97 to 2002. And then 2009-?

Murof, the players may be good enough to get to a final, maybe not, but you're actually making my point for me. Because they certainly weren't at the beginning of 2008, or even at the end of 2008.

Like I said, if things are gone stale and a change is needed, that's life. But it should never detract from what has been achieved before that, which on a consistent basis, is a lot more than MOST Kildare eras of the past 80 years and has had the wider GAA world talking about them in a positive light as contenders in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. They're not playing well enough right now though. Hopefully they'll ramp it up again on Saturday but if they don't, the sad thing is there will be people here who will be happy.
Look i went a bit far with the opening sentence there Ogie .
What you actually said was "more or less 80 years of anonymity "....that was the point i was debating with you .And if you read the post youd see that i was referring to losing leinster finals against counties who went on to be competitive against Kerry as opposed to competing directly against them.
I know my county and i know its standing , and its always been a prominent football county .A bit off the Aristocrats obviously but certainly never anonymous.
As for second guessing what way people will feel on Saturday evening , thats not really on now is it ?. The events of the last few months have tested some Kildare supporters in many ways but i dont think theres a sinner who will ever wish to see JD , Dermot , or for that matter any of the Kildare players achieve the most they can .
Fionn , i wasnt actually circling or anything of the sort , amazing the way every statement is brought back to Mcgeeneys Future. And as a matter of interest what time of the year are you referring to ?.
Ohtoo , i Know the Margins were high but they were the all Ireland Quarter finals of their day as well , being no back door at the time .

Last edited by fargo on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 11:51 pm

It wasn't long before the magic of Micko disappeared. Nolan kept the fire buring for one year, where if it wasn't for a prick of a ref 2003 could have been a 3rd leinster in 6 campaigns but as a Kildare fan from 2004-2007 there was nothing to be positive about.

Defeats over the last few years v Donegal, Down and Tyrone have been heart breaking because we have been so close, and an if only here or a refereeing decision there have been the difference.

The nature of such defeats is much harder to tolerate then going out to Louth in Newbridge, or to Derry by a cricket score up there or by Sligo in Sligo or at home to Offaly. The overriding feeling after these defeats is that now at least we can get the club championship on the road again and we look on from afar at the bank holiday weekend feast of football that is the all ireland quarter finals.
Over the last few years I did not enjoy watching the closing stages of the championships play out thinking it should have been us.

Thats where we are now. okay we haven't beaten yet one of the top teams but beating the top team is now a realistic target. When we couldn't take advantage of a home draw the in the qualifiers against a poor Louth outfit if seemed a million miles away that we were a disallowed goal of a semi final or a square ball of a final.

McGeeney has done such a job at this stage that I believe he is entitled to decide his own tenure at Kildare. Regardless of Saturdays result i for one hope he is involved in 2013 and beyond inspite of my apathy towards Johnsongate
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 12:17 am

You can run but you can't Hyde..................... I'll get my coat.............
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 12:35 am

fargo wrote:
Ohtoo , i Know the Margins were high but they were the all Ireland Quarter finals of their day as well , being no back door at the time .

Yes, and now we play All-Ireland quarter-finals every year - as opposed to every two or three years - and lose them by a point if we lose them at all. Just looked up our losing margins in 70s Leinster finals: 11, 14, 7, 14. No comparing the two eras in my book.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 12:38 am

Think Kildare fans are still rock solid behind McGeeney but its inevitable that there will be rumblings of discontent after a defeat. Kerry came close to ditching Micko after the defeat to Dublin in 77 and he admits himself that it was the emergence of Liston and O'Shea which saved him. Sometimes it only takes a few new players to revitalise a team. In our case it could be a fully fit Flynn and Leper and moving Foley to fullback. As for new players how about giving Seanie and Fogarty a chance to show what they can do, they combined well for a lovely point last saturday. I honestly believe we are good enough to beat Sligo and no team will want to draw us later that night.
ps any news on how close Dowling is to getting some game time, he is the forgotten forward on the team it would seem.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 1:05 am

Dowling played full part in training Tuesday night - and looked very sharp
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 1:15 am

Dowling has been having persistent trouble with his hamstring (I think) this year. Be a good option to have if he's back fully fit.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 1:36 am

Thanks for the update on Dowling lads, he kicked a wonderful point from the sideline on the stand side in a league match last year, certainly a good option to have on the bench.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 3:04 am

can see early making an appearance at some stage tomorrow. People say sentiment has no place in sport but no doubt he will be itching to get a final run out in the Hyde like his father before him. Be class to see him and O'Hara knocking the shite out of each other for the last 5 minutes....zimmer frames and all!!
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 3:10 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
fargo wrote:

Yes, and now we play All-Ireland quarter-finals every year - as opposed to every two or three years - and lose them by a point if we lose them at all. Just looked up our losing margins in 70s Leinster finals: 11, 14, 7, 14. No comparing the two eras in my book.

Grand bit of reasoning as long as you ignore the minor elephant in the room that two of them quarter finals have come around as a result of losing to Leinster opposition which would have traditionally lower rankings. Along with disregarding the aspect that those times they actually had to win all their games to be at the same quarter final standing .
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 3:15 am

Best of luck to Kildare on Saturday night.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 3:23 am

fargo wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
fargo wrote:

Grand bit of reasoning as long as you ignore the minor elephant in the room that two of them quarter finals have come around as a result of losing to Leinster opposition which would have traditionally lower rankings. Along with disregarding the aspect that those times they actually had to win all their games to be at the same quarter final standing .

So you're genuinely suggesting that the achievements of the 70s rank alongside the achievements of 2008-2012? That a team that lost by 14 points to a Dublin team that were All-Ireland chamions ranks alongside a team that lost by a point to a Dublin team that went on to become All-Ireland champions?

And, by the way, in the six years of that decade that Kildare weren't being humiliated in Leinster finals, they lost to plenty of lower-ranked teams as well.
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 3:46 am

The achievements of 2008-2012 ? , whats the requirement for the word genuinely there ? . Have i missed something ,if achievements are getting to certain Parts of the Knockout phases now , weve established that Kildare got to the same stage when there was no recourse to the back door to achieve the same thing . If youre prepared to reference Dublin they also beat them in at least one semi final if im not mistaken, and the Hammerings were by the eventual all Ireland champions in another couple of Instances .
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 4:28 am

It always amuses me to hear old fogies refer to that team of the 70's as if they were some sort of dream team. And if you happen to be in any of said players, they would have you believe it aswell.

Fargo you can say what you like about McGeeney & his tenure but the majority of football supporters in this county are more than happy with the teams ACHIEVEMENTS so far. Yes things can improve as they have done every year since his arrival.

You carry on believing ur heroes of the 70's were better. If that's what makes you happy. The rest of us will move with the times
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 4:49 am

In fairness to fargo I think all he is trying to say is that Kildare were in that 6-12 bracket of counties before in and out of div 1 and that its not just the last 15 years that we rubbed shoulders with the big boys. In the mid 70's Dublin and Kerry were frequently winners by big margins against all oppositions due to preparations as much as anything else.

and its normal to look back through those rose tinted glasses and remember the great players and forget the bad days, your time will come to BTA and i'm hoping when you get to the fogy stage that your looking back on an all ireland win.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 5:38 am

Hyde and seek...................seek and you shall find!
This time tomorrow night we'll be in the home stretch.
Up the Lilies!
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 7:33 am

Thanks Lillyboy ,thats essentially what im saying . But are they as rose tinted as is being portrayed ?in that decade Leinster provided the All Ireland Finalists in around 8 of the 10 years and the winners on at least 4 of those occasions , Kildare were getting to the equivalent of AI quarter finals on a Knockout basis in the Strongest province .Albeit they had lapses in between as Ohtoo mentioned .
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 8:16 am

Best of luck lads! Come On Kildare!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 9:51 am

All the best to the lads tomorrow. Behind them all the way! Jersey and flags all set to go! This is what the championship is all about.
KEEP THE FAITH..COME ON THE LILYWHITES! cheers
Back to top Go down
stanley
Intercounty
Intercounty
stanley

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:10 am

Best of luck to the lads tomorrow, go out and give it your best shot. C'mon Kildare. cheers
Back to top Go down
KFSAM
Senior
Senior
KFSAM

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 7:22 pm

All the best to the lads today. Huge improvement required today but we're well capable of winning this one.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 7:48 pm

Please god we get the result we want and deserve today!Up Kildare
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Best wishes to the lads later. Long journey home without a favourable result.

I remember the Roscommon journey few years back, counselling was nearly sought.

Leave everything on the pitch lads. Cilldara Abu
Back to top Go down
carra2323
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Best of luck lads today, shit weather!!
Back to top Go down
Stekhli
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:55 am

Best of luck to the lads , I have serious faith that they'll do it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012   Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012 - Page 38 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare Qualifier Campaign 2012
Page 38 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next