Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Arguing about former , current and future managers thread

Go down 
+46
naked-lilly
lomond
learmus
Dido
lilywhites on tour
White Bridge
reichenhall
Gaa1928
Frankel
Westside
Ahlethimout
Kildare98
jobluts
jj
kickingking
Onhisboot
bob12
micky murphy
overthebar
rgb
KILL BILL
jimmers
Ohtoohtobe
losthope
Ogie
Rex
Stonecold
Caprea
Sam1928
kildaregaa365
LillieLad
johnsmyth
murof
SeamusMurphy
Flamingo
if_in_doubt
Bad News Baba
jim
Taibi
TommyKeegan
lineball
hawker
Jimmy winning matches
lillyboy
topcat
The observer
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 6:22 pm

jimmers wrote:

Not much worse than last year so

Agree. Until David Brent came on board we regularly made quarter and Semi finals.

Actually if I'm correct in the league and champship we've played Dublin 3 times since he's became involved and lost by a combined 40+ points.  affraid 
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 9:05 pm

Keep going your postcount will hit 3000 before the championship starts.Maybe we could all chip in and buy you a polo shirt for being No. 1 poster better still that skirt you badly need.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Stonecold wrote:
Keep going your postcount will hit 3000 before the championship starts.Maybe we could all chip in and buy you a polo shirt for being No. 1 poster better still that skirt you badly need.

My post count is high because I contribute to all areas of the forum not just discussion on intercounty football matters.

Being a club member, a footballer and a mentor I attend a lot of games both adult and underage level and have a good knowledge of all things Kildare GAA including hurling albeit I will admit that would be limited.

It's some thing I have an interest and a passion in similar to you and wrestling.

So yeah my post count is high and I need a skirt for calling it like I see it.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 10:13 pm

Anybody hear how the team got on against Antrim last night?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 2:29 am

Ogie wrote:
I have never heard another manager, ever, point to the advantage the opponents will have in having had a game. Never. Ever.

He was the only One to say it in the Programme.. and thats all He said !!
Of course its an advantage to have a Match Played.. tell us something We dont know.
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 4:47 am

topcat wrote:
Anybody hear how the team got on against Antrim last night?

Antrim won the game with two late goals topcat. However the second half was very ragged with a raft of Kildare changes and at least 7/8 players that will not see championship time this year but in the first half when we were strong we totally blew Antrim away - was 2-12 to 0-4 at one stage.

Lads, we're getting worked up over challenge game results.......most of these challenges are a joke and I don't know what any team gets from them. There was a time we were the challenge game champions of Ireland. Even last year we had a 'great' challenge game win over Mayo before the Dublin game and we all know what use that was. This is not a new thing.........I remember being present in Carbury one fine evening in the late eighties to see us beat All-Ireland champions Meath where the royals didn't even score against us. 1-7 to 0-0 was the final score that day. Who won the All-Ireland later that year? Meath did. Basically all bets are off til the 8th June
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 7:30 am

Jayson Rhine wrote:
Stonecold wrote:

My post count is high because I contribute to all areas of the forum not just discussion on intercounty football matters.

Being a club member, a footballer and a mentor I attend a lot of games both adult and underage level and have a good knowledge of all things Kildare GAA including hurling albeit I will admit that would be limited.

It's some thing I have an interest and a passion in similar to you and wrestling.

So yeah my post count is high and I need a skirt for calling it like I see it.

Mentor, jaysus I've read it all now, I'd say your some inspiritional leader and motivator, I can just see you rallying the troops at half time alright, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 6:47 pm

Stonecold wrote:

Mentor, jaysus I've read it all now, I'd say your some inspiritional leader and motivator, I can just see you rallying the troops at half time alright, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king........

Sums up your ignorance perfectly really. Get off your couch and join a club it just might give you a better understanding of the GAA.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 7:29 pm

Jayson Rhine wrote:
Stonecold wrote:

Sums up your ignorance perfectly really. Get off your couch and join a club it just might give you a better understanding of the GAA.

I am a member of a club. Next....
This is you
http://www.livegaelic.com/craic/rorys-gaa-stories/every-gaa-club-sneery-aul-lad-like/
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 8:53 pm

+1
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 11:29 pm

Jayson Rhine wrote:
jimmers wrote:

Not much worse than last year so

Agree. Until David Brent came on board we regularly made quarter and Semi finals.

Actually if I'm correct in the league and champship we've played Dublin 3 times since he's became involved and lost by a combined 40+ points.  affraid 

You post this crap and then you can go on to say someone else is ignorant.  pig pig 
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 11:37 pm

Serious questions need to be asked about what sort of fool would bring David Brent into the set up to begin with so.

Fergie fucked up by picking Moyes as his successor after all...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 2:30 am

if_in_doubt wrote:
Serious questions need to be asked about what sort of fool would bring David Brent into the set up to begin with so.

Fergie fucked up by picking Moyes as his successor after all...

McGeeney certainly made mistakes in his time with Kildare. Don't think anyone will deny that. I would agree that was one of them.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 12:25 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Ogie wrote:
I have never heard another manager, ever, point to the advantage the opponents will have in having had a game. Never. Ever.

He was the only One to say it in the Programme.. and thats all He said !!
Of course its an advantage to have a Match Played.. tell us something We dont know.

Just like Jim Gavin and James Horan do!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 12:29 am

tomoneillandhissisteranne wrote:
Ogie wrote:
You're absolutely right Ogie - Micko, for one, never, ever, ever talked up the opposition......ever!

Cork were the second best team in the country every year sure before Kerry put 20 points on them! Hoor.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 3:43 am

Im sure JR will be delighted to be mentioned in the same sentence as Micko, Horan and Gavin..

I just think He comes accross as very negative Ogie, and not just His RTE News piece.. I have listened to His post Match interviews during the League, and thought the same.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 3:53 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Im sure JR will be delighted to be mentioned in the same sentence as Micko, Horan and Gavin..

I just think He comes accross as very negative Ogie, and not just His RTE News piece.. I have listened to His post Match interviews during the League, and thought the same.

A striking resemblance to some on here you might say.

Although on here it's instead referred to as being realistic for some reason.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 5:51 am

I don't understand why it's negative to judge something on results, performances, improvements and issues. Surely negative is taking the truth and putting a bad spin on it. There's been no bad spin put on any of the above so surely people on here are very realistic?
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 6:04 am

I just don't understand why different standards have to be applied to Jason Ryan.

How come if he talks like that it's negative yet if a poster on here does it it's realistic?
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 6:09 am

Well I wouldn't mind his words to be honest and he may have said a lot more and it was probably a soundbite. To be honest, I thought McGeeney was very poor early on too, remember the Wicklow game and his tactics were the diagonal ball into a two man inside-forward line that Armagh used to use and it didn't suit the players at all. But he did prove people wrong over the following years even if he wasn't perfect, Johnston was a mess and his in-game management was poor. But as has been said (and awkward situation for Ryan to come into but he knew that and made the call) when you replace a manager it has to be for better and not for worse. They are the standards any county that takes itself seriously sets. Now it's up to Ryan to prove us wrong, so far no sign of it, hope I'm stunned this season, but until there are positives, we can only judge him on what's gone and they were all negative.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 6:30 am

In fairness Tommy he was badly hampered with the amount of injuries in our defense and the very poor form of Foley and McGrillen.
We can only speculate how well we would have done had Bolton, Kelly, Lyons, Doyle and O'Flaherty been available.
We all saw how McGeeney had problems in midfield for many years and had to resort to using our best forward and defender to fill in for a few years.
Time might show that Ryan is not as good as we hoped but we could have sacked McGeeney in 08 and luckily we did not!
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 8:30 am

To a point but McGeeney was a recently retired great player who had never managed but had huge potential and needed time to fulfill it, that was the trade off. Ryan is an established manager with less potential so the trade of there should be more consistency and fixation of issues quicker. He might well do that come our championship, just personal opinion is he won't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 8:42 am

People continue to compare McGeeney and the team in 08 to Ryan and the team now in 2014.

And like you allude to TK they couldn't be further apart.

The more I think about it the more I think Ryan actually might be a good manager but maybe doesn't fit the bill for Kildare, there is just something not right about the set up. Maybe it's the hangover from last years saga taking a toll on the players and between that and injuries this year was going to be a write off from day 1. And possibly the job and particularly the expectations are a level above what Ryan can offer.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 9:06 am

To be honest Tommy when I mentioned the negativity side of things I meant it just in relation to the interviews, comments on here and the expectation side of things.

We could go over plenty of old ground and end up going around in circles no doubt if we were to start talking about what's happened so far this year, what happened last year, what happened in 08 or what happened in 2010 or whenever.

As far as Jason Ryan's managerial ability goes, I made a point on here about two months ago that McGeeney may have had us punching above our weight regarding the regular quarter final appearances and the semi final in 2010. You countered that by arguing that he actually brought us up to the level we should have been at to begin with, and then mentioned things like population, large support, a lack of competition from other sports within the county and some very good underage players coming through (I'm sure I'm paraphrasing there so apologies if I'm wrong).

The point I'm trying to get at though, is that Wexford has a smaller population than Kildare, hurling is arguably just as strong or even stronger and more popular than football there, the support wouldn't traditionally be as big as ours and there wasn't as many talented young players coming through. Yet Ryan managed to achieve similar things there to what McGeeney did here, an All Ireland semi (beating the Ulster champs along the way) and a close fought game against the Dubs in a Leinster final.

If McGeeney brought Kildare to the level they should be at then surely Ryan brought Wesford beyond where they should ever have been?

Obviously the circumstances which led to him getting the job were far from ideal, and with the fallout between the players and the county board, multiple injuries, the back of the Seanie affair and all that hasn't exactly helped make it a smooth transition from coach / selector to manager.

I just think he's proven to be a good manager in the past, working with a better pool of players and more than likely better resources I don't see any reason why he can't prove to be a good manager again going forward.

There's enough around to give me a bit of hope however misplaced some may think that is.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 9:58 pm

I have said it before i think Jason's problems have been many
-taking over a team with a divided county board behind
-plenty of injuries and he tried to do the right thing and get guys ops etc at the start of the year
-misguided levels of expectations levels even though we have won no adult Leinster's or All-Ireland for donkey's years and have a misguided level of expectations through runs through the back door but still when we came up against a top class side we failed and have lost Leinster Championship games in the recent present to Wicklow and Louth
-retirements and a few aging players

I always said it was the time for Kieran to go and i feel we would have been in a worse position had he still been in charge however Jason probably has not done himself any favours in a few area's
-only being installed for a 1 year period with an option for a 2nd
-he has tried to come in and play a nice brand of football when he should have gone more defensive and tried to stop the other teams first and then think about our own scoring
-he has tried to be too nice in interviews, appearances, the famous trial games etc.

I still have hope for this year and think we will have as good a run as we have had over the last few years however like someone said when Alex Ferguson retired it was always going to be the manager after the first manager that was going to be the key appointment!!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arguing about former , current and future managers thread
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next