Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Next manager: Suggestions.

Go down 
+75
fargo
Big Full Back
clonmullin
Dido
johnsmyth
kelf
Highball
Flyer
lilly-exile
Lilywhite forever
Onhisboot
BelieveToAchieve
All down the line
BigG
squires1
shortgrass1928
Son of Sarsfields
lomond
if_in_doubt
white boy
KILL BILL
totalgaa
Borderline
Botch
Rex
OutTheGap
moatesports
reichenhall
Ois
Shergar
shortgrass
ixus
Dinny Breen
tpos
Cilldara_2000
lilysavage
jimmers
bag of white
Cassanata
jj
lily4fr
Kildare98
milltownmary
inexile
billylilly
jim
greyfox28
flourman
Radley Park
Frankel
Cill Dara Mick
Loads of Pints
bob12
lilywhites on tour
Taibi
Sam1928
lillyboy
Stonecold
micky murphy
ripvanwinkle
Flamingo
topcat
TommyKeegan
SeamusMurphy
tomoneillandhissisteranne
steviegenius
murof
Gaa1928
Ogie
kildaregaa365
Lillydreams
Lily8
LillieLad
Ohtoohtobe
Bad News Baba
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 8:25 am

Can see it being an in house type appointment given financial constraints. Bryan Murphy would be favourite in my view
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 8:26 am

McEntee for me....if we go internal Murphy has to get it.
Back to top Go down
Son of Sarsfields
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 8:46 am

It is vital that we get the right man in. We have the best crop of young players we have had for a long time. Financial considerations should be secondary. I know that we are not flush with cash but I would believe that if we do things on the cheap we will never have the financial support of a major sponsor and also if we have a high profile manager it will make fund raising a lot easier

Internal candidates
Glenn Ryan
Brian Murphy
Cian O'Neill
If we go outside the county we have to go for someone with a proven record at this level
Jack O'Connor
John Evans

Back to top Go down
shortgrass1928
Junior A
Junior A
shortgrass1928

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 9:03 am

They should move heaven and earth to try and get jack o'connor
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 4:12 pm

No surprise Ryan had to go, new manager has a huge task ahead in uniting players, clubs and fans.
Talented pool of players available no doubt.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 5:50 pm

Eagerly awaiting the follow up to 'Ding Dong the witch is dead.'
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 5:57 pm

flourman wrote:
No surprise Ryan had to go, new manager has a huge task ahead in uniting players, clubs and fans.
Talented pool of players available no doubt.

This will be his biggest issue. There is a serious disconnect in the County now between all sides and to be anyway successful you need everybody pulling in the right direction.

I think aside from being a good manager the man needs a bit of Charisma or aura to get people back interested enough to put the time and effort back in to the County.

It will be interesting to see who they go for. Lets hope it's the right decision or we will be back here in two years saying the same things.

Ogie, I'll think you'll be waiting a while for that. The phrase "don't sh*ite on your own door step" springs to mind, these things tend to come back and bite you in the ass.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 6:41 pm

shortgrass1928 wrote:
They should move heaven and earth to try and get jack o'connor

Jack O'Connor would be my first port of call as well. It's probably unlikely as he's agreed to be Kerry Under-21 manager next year but maybe something could be worked out if we can make a persuasive argument. We won't know if we don't try.

I agree with Rex that it's got to be somebody with a bit of charisma that can put some belief back into the players (and supporters) after the hammerings we have taken recently.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 7:02 pm

I'm think, from what I am hearing at local level, it won't be Jack O'Connor or Cian O'Neill.
Back to top Go down
squires1
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 7:03 pm

I cannot for the life of me figure out why peoples first instinct is to start looking outside the couunty for a new manager. Salvation lies within!!!! Our minor and under 21 footballers have all been competitive in the last few years. All of this has been down to people living within the county.Our new manager has to come from this group. There is one stand out candidate in my opinion. Anyone who has watched the development of kildare football at under age level in the last 5/6 years knows who I am talking about. We need to appreciate our own!!
Back to top Go down
BigG
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 8:19 pm

I cannot see what the fascination is with outside managers. I would prefer to see us in Division 4 if we had a Kildare man managing a Kildare team. I feel that it will take one of our own to unite the players in a common cause. For me Glen Ryan is the obvious candidate as he brought an under 21 side to an All Ireland final and was good with Longford. He has also played at the highest level. He knows what it is to represent Kildare and that is something that Jason Ryan & Co will never know. His team can be made up of any number from Rainbow, Earley, Cribbin, Murphy, Carew and Doyle.
PS - Tyrone took Mickey Harte from within and look what he achieved.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Yes I think we have to stay in the county for the next Manager for me I would leave Brian Murphy with the 21s and either Glenn Ryan or Dermot Earley for Manager or both part of the management team.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 9:23 pm

BigG wrote:
I cannot see what the fascination is with outside managers. I would prefer to see us in Division 4 if we had a Kildare man managing a Kildare team. I feel that it will take one of our own to unite the players in a common cause. For me Glen Ryan is the obvious candidate as he brought an under 21 side to an All Ireland final and was good with Longford. He has also played at the highest level. He knows what it is to represent Kildare and that is something that Jason Ryan & Co will never know. His team can be made up of any number from Rainbow, Earley, Cribbin, Murphy, Carew and Doyle.
PS - Tyrone took Mickey Harte from within and look what he achieved.

Jaysus...

Regarding Mickey Harte, he managed Tyrone minors and under 21's for over a decade before he took over the senior team and won plenty of titles along the way before taking over the seniors. If we had an internal candidate with a track record like that then they'd be the obvious choice.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 9:26 pm

Harte had a pretty stellar level at under age to be fair. There's not many in Kildare (above ground) who've led us to All Ireland's at any level.

It's a fair point though about looking inside the county. In my 40 years watching football I can only recall two outside managers winning All Irelands - O'Mahony and McGee. Correct me if I'm wrong..
I know the bigger counties tend to employ their own more but we do have quite a few candidates. I'm not sure Cribbin is going to step down from Westmeath to be a selector for Glen Ryan mind you, BigC.

I think Murphy and Ryan are credible candidates. I don't think Carew has the tactical nous to improve us defensively which is what we need first and foremost so "I'm out" in his case. I would have no problem with any combination of Rainbow, Earley, Sweeney, Doyle being involved despite relatively little experience.

I'm inclined to go for Murphy or Ryan although a combination of the two would be ideal. I think Glen could sort out the defensive structures while Murphy knows the young guys well.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 9:44 pm

any word on the selection committee?
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 10:02 pm

lillyboy wrote:

I have no doubt that the next manager has already been selected.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Would Murphy have the time for Senior Intercounty. did he not give up on the Minors due to lack of time required.

For me heaven and Earth should be moved for Cian O'Neill. He ticks all the boxes. A kildare man, has won All Ireland's with multiple Counties, has been understudy to some of the best managers around at the moment. Has expertise in strength and conditioning so knows what is the level needed. Had experience with Kildare under age a few years ago.

No doubt in my eyes he is the man for the job, he will get the patience we will need in the next couple of years, unlike a non native.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Didn't know that about Murphy. Might be willing to come in alongside G Ryan perhaps? Would be unsure about O'Neill as a Manager at inter county level. Different ball game to being a no.2. Hasn't played at a high level as far as I know either which could be seen as a draw back compared to say Ryan, Murphy, Rainbow, Doyle etc..
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 10:38 pm

Agree he hasn't played at the highest level but in sport the best players don't always make the best managers. He can always bring in a couple of players beside him like J.D or Dermot who know what it takes to play for Kildare.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 10:47 pm

I think Murphy should be left with the U21's for a few more years and let us have a bit of continuity. It was a pity Glen left the U21 team after getting to a final as we ended up with a very poor manager who couldnt win a game for a few years.
I dont think O'Neil is a runner due to location and work but hopefully one day will be. Of all the recently retired players the one who has some experience in management is Roli. He would be a good no. 2 to some one like Glen. Dermot and JD are still to close to some of the older players on the panel to make hard decisions imo.
The next manager will have some hard decsions on who is still good enough for the panel. With plenty of fine young players who have won Leinster available and Div 3 he should have an oppurtunity to put his stamp on the team if he is given time.
I swear if they appoint some journeyman I dont think I would have the stomach to go watch them play again. Please God it wont happen.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 10:50 pm

murof wrote:

I swear if they appoint some journeyman I dont think I would have the stomach to go watch them play again. Please God it wont happen.

Tomas O Flatharta and Tommy Carr are not pleased with this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 10:52 pm

Think some of the players or recently retired players would serve us better getting involved with development squads first perhaps!
Don't get me wrong, Earley would be my hero and favourite sports person but apart from media work I think his involvement in the game since retiring has been more ambassadorial rather than hands on! JD will be cutting his cloth with NUIM let him at that! If we go internal Ryan and Murphy are the stand out candidates, perhaps if we lift a minor all Ireland Hackett comes into the equation!
External, think guys are deluded if they think Jack O'Connor would be interested!
In a fantasy land my ideal would be James Horan but that'll never happen. Tony McEntee might be the more realistic outside candidate!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 10:54 pm

Gaa1928 wrote:
lillyboy wrote:

I have no doubt that the next manager has already been selected.

I don't know whether this is the case but they have been working on it... one Kildare man was approached a couple of weeks ago but was unavailable as he had another job.

The thing about "moving heaven and earth" for anyone be it O'Neill, McEntee or O'Connor, even though he spends so much time in Kildare, is that this entails finance. There's what they'd get themselves but the overall package. And that has been reduced drastically in recent years, from the last couple of years of the McGeeney era to the threadbare look it has now. I think there are some accustomed to having it all that would find it hard to slum it in that way. There is no doubt that either of those three would appear to be good appointments if they were possible.

James Horan gave up Mayo because he has a young family. He is on record as saying he will never manage another county and if he comes back, it will be to do Mayo again.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 11:26 pm

Rex wrote:
murof wrote:

Tomas O Flatharta and Tommy Carr are not pleased with this.

I hate this saying ' Journey Men'.   Does this make Glen Ryan ( Longford and Laois club team ), Niall Carew and Roli, ( Waterford and Sligo ),  Rainbow ( Carlow and Sarsfields ) and Cian O'Neill ( Mayo, Tipperary and Kerry ), all who are been mentioned for possible roles in the Kildare management set up job, ' Journey Men ' also. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 11:42 pm

Interesting article by Tommy Callaghan in this weeks Leader which contrasts the funding available to the Kildare senior team (€300k per annum) with that of Kerry (€800k per annum) and suggests that changing the manager won't solve all Kildare's problems.

The first priority for the new manager has to be to come up with some sort of effective defensive system to make us more difficult to score against. This proved to be Jason Ryan's downfall because he might have got another year if we were competitive against Dublin or Kerry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next manager: Suggestions.
Page 11 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19 ... 27  Next