Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Next manager: Suggestions.

Go down 
+75
fargo
Big Full Back
clonmullin
Dido
johnsmyth
kelf
Highball
Flyer
lilly-exile
Lilywhite forever
Onhisboot
BelieveToAchieve
All down the line
BigG
squires1
shortgrass1928
Son of Sarsfields
lomond
if_in_doubt
white boy
KILL BILL
totalgaa
Borderline
Botch
Rex
OutTheGap
moatesports
reichenhall
Ois
Shergar
shortgrass
ixus
Dinny Breen
tpos
Cilldara_2000
lilysavage
jimmers
bag of white
Cassanata
jj
lily4fr
Kildare98
milltownmary
inexile
billylilly
jim
greyfox28
flourman
Radley Park
Frankel
Cill Dara Mick
Loads of Pints
bob12
lilywhites on tour
Taibi
Sam1928
lillyboy
Stonecold
micky murphy
ripvanwinkle
Flamingo
topcat
TommyKeegan
SeamusMurphy
tomoneillandhissisteranne
steviegenius
murof
Gaa1928
Ogie
kildaregaa365
Lillydreams
Lily8
LillieLad
Ohtoohtobe
Bad News Baba
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Borderline
Senior
Senior

Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 11:47 pm

Ryan is with Arles Kilcruise in Laois, they were beaten in the second round of the championship by their bitter rivals Arles Killeen. This team have been in the shakup for the past few years and if Ryan couldn't get them up for a game against their neighbours then it dont say much for him as a manager.

They were also very lucky to survive their first game which if they had lost would have seen them fighting a relagation battle. Leave him where he is I say.....
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 11:50 pm

Gaa1928 wrote:
Rex wrote:
murof wrote:

I swear if they appoint some journeyman I dont think I would have the stomach to go watch them play again. Please God it wont happen.

Tomas O Flatharta and Tommy Carr are not pleased with this.

I hate this saying ' Journey Men'.   Does this make Glen Ryan ( Longford and Laois club team ), Niall Carew and Roli, ( Waterford and Sligo ),  Rainbow ( Carlow and Sarsfields ) and Cian O'Neill ( Mayo, Tipperary and Kerry ), all who are been mentioned for possible roles in the Kildare management set up job, ' Journey Men ' also. Shocked Shocked Shocked

No it does not include any of the above. I am referring in particular to a group of 5 or 6 managers who seem to go from club to county and back again.
Roli and O'Neil have never managed as no. 1 so why you include them I dont know.
We all know the group I am referring to, no need to name them as I'm sure they are all well meaning and dedicated but limited imo.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 12:03 am

JohnnyC wrote:
Interesting article by Tommy Callaghan in this weeks Leader which contrasts the funding available to the Kildare senior team (€300k per annum) with that of Kerry (€800k per annum) and suggests that changing the manager won't solve all Kildare's problems.

The first priority for the new manager has to be to come up with some sort of effective defensive system to make us more difficult to score against. This proved to be Jason Ryan's downfall because he might have got another year if we were competitive against Dublin or Kerry.

Precisely - I don't think that should cost € 500,000 either..

I accept there is a funding gap which impacts somewhat but there's plenty that can be done without spending fortunes to make us competitive. We seem to manage fine of late at underage level for example.
Back to top Go down
lily4fr
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 12:35 am

Borderline wrote:
Ryan is with Arles Kilcruise in Laois, they were beaten in the second round of the championship by their bitter rivals Arles Killeen. This team have been in the shakup for the past few years and if Ryan couldn't get them up for a game against their neighbours then it dont say much for him as a manager.

They were also very lucky to survive their first game which if they had lost would have seen them fighting a relagation battle. Leave him where he is I say.....

Arles were almost relegated last year (but dont let the facts get in the way of a good story)!

They had a decent enough run in the league, beating portlaoise along the way, and were beaten by two late points in their championship game last weekend. A championship that they are still in, by the way.

Back to top Go down
shortgrass1928
Junior A
Junior A
shortgrass1928

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 12:51 am

Crofter wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:
Interesting article by Tommy Callaghan in this weeks Leader which contrasts the funding available to the Kildare senior team (€300k per annum) with that of Kerry (€800k per annum) and suggests that changing the manager won't solve all Kildare's problems.

The first priority for the new manager has to be to come up with some sort of effective defensive system to make us more difficult to score against. This proved to be Jason Ryan's downfall because he might have got another year if we were competitive against Dublin or Kerry.

Precisely - I don't think that should cost € 500,000 either..

I accept there is a funding gap which impacts somewhat but there's plenty that can be done without spending fortunes to make us competitive. We seem to manage fine of late at underage level for example.

We need to put the cart before the horse here. Appoint the big name and the support will follow. if we get the next manager wrong we will be down for years.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 3:42 am

How many Kildare players from the last twenty years have managerial or coaching experience?

Glenn Ryan (Kildare u21, Longford, Arles Kilcruise)
Bryan Murphy (Kildare selector, Kildare minor, Kildare u21)
Anthony Rainbow (Carlow, Kildare u21 selector, Sarsfields selector)
Johnny Doyle (NUIM)
Dermot Earley (Defence Forces)
Ronan Sweeney (Sligo selector)
Damien Hendy (Kildare selector, Kildare u21)
Ronan Quinn (Confey, Kildare selector)
Enda Murphy (Castleknock)
Padraig Brennan (Kildare u21 selector, Sarsfields minor)
Tadhg Fennin (Kildare minor selector)
Christy Byrne (Rheban, Kildare goalkeeping coach)
Karl O'Dwyer (Coolkenno, Old Leighlin)
Brian Lacey (Nurney, Limerick, Kildare minor selector)
Alan Barry (Kildare u21)
Eddie McCormack (Kildare u21 selector, Straffan)
Jarlath Gilroy (Kildare minor, Ballymore, Two Mile House)
Davy Dalton (Kildare selector, Maynooth, Meath minor)
Paul McLoughlin (Wexford minor, Clane)
Sos Dowling (Moorefield, Allenwood, Kildare u21 selector)
Peter McConnon (Kildare u21, Round Towers, Palatine)
John Divilly (NUIM, Kildare ladies)
Cormac Davey (Kilcock)
Kenny Duane (Moorefield)

Probably missed out a few more. A few guys there have been relatively successful at underage and/or club level. The lack of former players taking over their own clubs in Kildare says a lot about the football culture in this county.
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 8:32 am

I'm hearing John Evans is very keen on Kildare. So is Macstay what they story on Evans seems to bra good league man ? I say the players would buy into him ?
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 8:36 am

"Probably missed out a few more. A few guys there have been relatively successful at underage and/or club level. The lack of former players taking over their own clubs in Kildare says a lot about the football culture in this county."

Not a very accurate statement.
Sarsfields and Moorefield have 2 ex players as managers.
Apart from a sponsor driven flirtation with for one season a few years ago Sarsfields have always had an ex player as manger, John Crofton, Sean and Ray O'Sullivan (who also won a champioship with Allenwood), Paul Doyle. John Courtney, Dermot Earley etc.
Sos Dowling has also managed Moorefield.
Mickser Condon is with St Kevins.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Rex wrote:
murof wrote:

I swear if they appoint some journeyman I dont think I would have the stomach to go watch them play again. Please God it wont happen.

I see Tommy Carr is favourite to take the Tipperary job. I rest my case!
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 10:51 pm

murof wrote:
Rex wrote:
murof wrote:

I see Tommy Carr is favourite to take the Tipperary job. I rest my case!

Years and years of great work at underage developement destroyed by 1 clown
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 10:55 pm

Dermot early could be part of new kildare setup
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2015 10:45 am

Dublin have a select group of former players who are awful coaches/ managers: Carr, Bealin, Magee, Sheedy!
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2015 11:08 am

This minor match tomorrow could have a big say in who's to take over . If. We win and get into a all Ireland itt mite just pull one of the big names our way and with with bu /21 this year the job looks a lot more attractive
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2015 9:12 pm

Jack O connor has no interest in Kildare.
Ryan getting well paid in Laois (although I would say he would be interested)
Rainbow might be better as a selector
Early has a bit more about him but now has a nice tv job.
Sweeney might be better as a number 2 imo.

AS we see from most managers in most successful counties they always have good lads with them.
ie. Good trainers, Good selectors. Good medial teams.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 6:16 am

McStay nominated in Roscommon.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 6:17 am

white boy wrote:
This minor match tomorrow could have a big say in who's to take  over . If. We  win and get  into a all Ireland itt mite  just pull one of the big names our way  and with with bu /21 this year  the  job looks  a  lot more attractive

Well that certainly didn't happen. Don't think it has too much bearing honestly although there might have been some support for Hackett if we want on and did the unthinkable.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 8:30 am

Dave Matthews might be available for the backroom team now that Jimmy Barry Murphy is done with the Cork hurlers.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 8:52 am

lomond wrote:
Dublin have a select group of former players who are awful coaches/ managers: Carr, Bealin, Magee, Sheedy!

The same Sheedy that did so well with Moorefield and did better with Longford than ur white haired boy??

The disgraceful treatment of managers by this county and poor quality players will not attract any high profile managers. Do the guys on here spouting Cian O'Neill, James Horan & Jack O'Connor's names, really believe those fella's would drop down this low? I think not.

If its to be a local fella why not Bryan Murphy, Tom Cribben, Sos Dowling or somebody in that mould.
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 9:22 am

who's dave Matthews when he at home ?
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 9:41 am

Former international middle distance runner, from Leixlip or Celbridge? Got to two Olympics and has been involved with the Cork hurlers for the last couple of years.

As far as I know he's working in Cork IT so might not could be a question mark over whether he'd be able to commit. If possible though it'd be a pretty good appointment.
Back to top Go down
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 9:55 am

Dave Matthews, Irish Olympian, and Ireland 800m record holder, and a Kildare man, Jimmy Barry Murphy brought him in as fitness coach to cork hurlers for last 3 years as he reckoned fitness required for inter county hurler was similar to 800m athlete
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 10:25 am

if_in_doubt wrote:
Former international middle distance runner, from Leixlip or Celbridge? Got to two Olympics and has been involved with the Cork hurlers for the last couple of years.

As far as I know he's working in Cork IT so might not could be a question mark over whether he'd be able to commit. If possible though it'd be a pretty good appointment.

I read a few articles around the time of the 2013 All Ireland in which he said he was commuting to Cork from home. I don't know if his circumstances have changed in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 11:08 am

John Doyle on the whole situation:

"Just a quick word on the news that Jason Ryan stepped down as Kildare boss this week. I wasn’t surprised when I heard because I think Jason only wanted to commit to one more year whereas the team is in transition and it was felt that maybe having the same man in place for three or four years would be the best course of action.
"I think that makes a lot of sense and I feel there’s a desire to get someone from inside the county on board as manager now to bring the young lads on — and there are some good players coming through.
"The name on everyone’s lips seems to be Glenn Ryan and I can see why because if you cut Glenn, he bleeds white and that might be what Kildare needs now."
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior
Dinny Breen

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 5:05 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
John Doyle on the whole situation:

"Just a quick word on the news that Jason Ryan stepped down as Kildare boss this week. I wasn’t surprised when I heard because I think Jason only wanted to commit to one more year whereas the team is in transition and it was felt that maybe having the same man in place for three or four years would be the best course of action.
"I think that makes a lot of sense and I feel there’s a desire to get someone from inside the county on board as manager now to bring the young lads on — and there are some good players coming through.
"The name on everyone’s lips seems to be Glenn Ryan and I can see why because if you cut Glenn, he bleeds white and that might be what Kildare needs now."

Saw that, it's either a canvass or everything is in place already. Not my first choice but I would take it. Composition of his backroom team will be very important. There isn't a more passionate Kildare man out there, sacrificed an awful lot physically and mentally for Kildare football a lot more than anyone on this forum.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 5:07 pm

I'd take it too. We don't have many options.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next manager: Suggestions.
Page 12 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next