Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Next manager: Suggestions.

Go down 
+75
fargo
Big Full Back
clonmullin
Dido
johnsmyth
kelf
Highball
Flyer
lilly-exile
Lilywhite forever
Onhisboot
BelieveToAchieve
All down the line
BigG
squires1
shortgrass1928
Son of Sarsfields
lomond
if_in_doubt
white boy
KILL BILL
totalgaa
Borderline
Botch
Rex
OutTheGap
moatesports
reichenhall
Ois
Shergar
shortgrass
ixus
Dinny Breen
tpos
Cilldara_2000
lilysavage
jimmers
bag of white
Cassanata
jj
lily4fr
Kildare98
milltownmary
inexile
billylilly
jim
greyfox28
flourman
Radley Park
Frankel
Cill Dara Mick
Loads of Pints
bob12
lilywhites on tour
Taibi
Sam1928
lillyboy
Stonecold
micky murphy
ripvanwinkle
Flamingo
topcat
TommyKeegan
SeamusMurphy
tomoneillandhissisteranne
steviegenius
murof
Gaa1928
Ogie
kildaregaa365
Lillydreams
Lily8
LillieLad
Ohtoohtobe
Bad News Baba
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
AuthorMessage
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 2:37 am

jim wrote:
I can confirm that a management team of Glenn Ryan Johnny Doyle Dermot Earley and Anthony Rainbow was rejected   Ger Donnelly Alan Dunny  and Mick Gorman of the  county board. 100% fact . They have just confirmed that they don't give a shit about  football in this county. I feel sorry for poor Cian O Neill.

So what? It was an interview process to find THE best possible man to fill the Kildare managers job. The managerial position is 1 name so why is are the waters being muddied by throwing in Johnny & the lads? Or was it to be a joint 4 management team?

Pound for pound Cian O'Neill is hands down a better candidate than Glen. No if's buts or ands. So if a fella is beaten in an interview by a better candidate why then start pissin & moanig about the interviewers?

Kildare have somehow managed to attract one of the top coaches in the GAA. Lets not fool ourselves by saying any different.
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 9:56 am

I hope people don't expect miracles on the first season ? Kildare gaa team was like the Irish economy after Bertie. Left the country in a mess . We are in div 3 and o Neil is not going to learn much about lads playing some of them teams . It a pity we ended up there if he got us this year in div 2 we not 3 we have lost a year trying to get us out . Best thing he can do play loads of challenges game against div 1 and 2 teams . It goning to take time
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 6:03 pm

My concern is the expectation in some places that Kildare will piss out of Division 3. With the fragility that's returned to the squad in the past three or four years, that's no guarantee. Coming out on the right side of a few dogfights would do them the world of good but I just fear how some will react if promotion isn't achieved.

The management will need time. We have a man who has never managed so he will learn and make mistakes, as McGeeney did. And while he ticks so many boxes himself, he cannot do everything and make sure the details are attended to. It is very noticeable in Mayo how the players were unhappy despite saying that the coaching and S&C were excellent. But the details weren't such as communication and organisation, compared to what they were accustomed to.

That's the challenge and it's why having a right team around him is imperative. Hopefully he will know the areas he needs attending to and get the personnel in to fill in the blanks. He strikes me as capable of doing that. Whether or which, if Cian gets to coach, there will surely be a benefit from that because his credentials in that area are unquestionable. But he and his management team needs time. The raw material is there to return to being a top eight side but a lot of counties like Cavan, Tipperary and Roscommon would be saying the same, having achieved more at underage in recent years.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 7:25 pm

I would have been happy with Glenn but acknowledge that Kildare would have got the same old same old even though he would have put his all into it . . . and would have ended up dividing a lot of opinion and clubs again. . .
This appointment is probably the best Kildare could have got bearing in mind where we are at but is a good starting point for someone like Cian who is starting on the management road as the only way is up #hopefully.
He seems like a very driven and smart man who will put his all into making this a success for him personally and his home county. Like he said he will be able to put the best team available for S&C as well as sports science and medical.
But will be interesting to see who he will get on board or who is willing to get on board as selectors / Nr 2. or what way he is going to organise it. Glad to hear its a 3 year term think any shorter wouldn't have worked especially if he is going to try and build a newish team.
I am excited for the first time in a few years, hopefully the clubs will ratify it!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Aside from his coaching pedigree the man has a top job in a Third Level institution so communication and organisational skills must be needed to achieve that in his professional career.
He was there to see the two semis and it's fair to ask who would he pick out as genuine county men? Lads who stand up and are counted at club level is something that doesn't happen enough in recent years. The players need to stand up this year and I know there was some talk on here in relation to reservations with them re Glenn, but I don't think they can complain with this man. And if they don't work for a new man with a clean slate then it's their problem.
O'Neill should get full support and there are no petty gripes that I'm aware of. He will need time but as Ogie says we have to not be as cocky to think we will piss back to Div 2. We will need to slog it out and then we will see if our lads have the stomach for it.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 11:16 pm

I have divided Emotions, Its well known I wanted the Role to be Glens, but if it wasnt, then I certainly had no issues with Cian getting it, and agree it could be an exellent appointment, and I wish the Fella all the best.

On Murph, I dont see Him having a Selectors Role, as He is the U21 Manager for 2016.. but I wouldnt be surprised to see MR Rainbow being involved with both Teams, as a link, bearing in mind He is currently involved with the U21's.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 12:24 am

I can't see Anthony being involved. He was part of a proposed management team that was not successful. So i couldn't see any of that group being involved but we'll wait and see.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 12:47 am

Being part of an unsuccessful outfit should not exclude any of those former players from being involved in the new set up if asked. I hope O'Neil has an open mind on this and gets the best people in. Would love to see Dermot involved in some way as he could be a future manager I believe.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 1:25 am

Listening to the interview he gave KFM it sounded very much like he had someone lined up from outside the County. Maybe I was reading too much into it but I definitely got the vibe it would be external.

I am delighted he has taken the job. He was the stand out candidate, it was only a matter of if he wanted to leave Kerry. His interview about wanting to change the Culture of Kildare GAA was very articulate and that of a man who knows what he wants and how to get it. I was very impressed with it.

He will be a unifying manager, get the supporters back onside, get some interest generated, get the players interested and willing to go again for another year. For too long we have been a divided County. Finally we might heal the rift and drive on.

We have good players, what we needed was direction and leadership, both I think we will get from Cian. It will take time but I hope to have seen the back of the maulings we've taken in the last couple of years.

Roll on the Club finals and 2016.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 6:30 pm

It's reported in the Independent today that Brian Murphy is set to form part of  Cian's backroom team. Hope it's true - we'll find out tonight I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Congrats to Cian on getting the job. And in fairness, its an excellent appointment by the county board. In my opinion, the best we could have wished for.

Listening to the KFM interview, he comes across as an intelligent and articulate individual who knows what he wants and is driven to improving Kildare football. This is what we are looking for. Interesting to hear he is fully committed to it being a 3 year plan. Also interesting how he talked about engaging with the supporters to get them on side and how important they are to improving the finances etc.

Overall a very promising interview and I am so much more optimistic than when JR took over.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 1:12 am

I still cant believe he took it on. He had a handy one down in Kerry so fair play to him for taking on the challenge even though its a no loose situation. The only way in up in the league in my opinion. And as for the championship if we got anyway near a quarter final would be a bonus. He is a good choice.

There is no way anyone that was going forward on the Glen Ryan ticket will get involved with the new management. No chance. Brian Murphy would be good imo. He knows a lot of the younger players weather they are on county panels or not so he would be important in selecting lads would might make the step up.

I feel there may be a small clean out of players. Not massive but some players that have been on the panel over the last few years but are not really contributing need to be culled. Again I feel Murphy will be important here as he will know players that with some coaching will be good enough to add into the panel.

Time will tell. O'Neill is now in he front line. Not behind the scenes. So he will be under more scrutiny than he has been before but I expect that with all the experience he has picked up working all over the country at the highest that he will improve us and will be a success.
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 2:07 am

Who's do yea think will get the chop off they panel ? I say at least 6 of the lads will be moved on !!!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 3:55 am

Botch wrote:
I still cant believe he took it on.  He had a handy one down in Kerry so fair play to him for taking on the challenge even though its a no loose situation.  The only way in up in the league in my opinion.  And as for the championship if we got anyway near a quarter final would be a bonus.  He is a good choice.

There is no way anyone that was going forward on the Glen Ryan ticket will get involved with the new management.  No chance.  Brian Murphy would be good imo.  He knows a lot of the younger players weather they are on county panels or not so he would be important in selecting lads would might make the step up.

I feel there may be a small clean out of players.  Not massive but some players that have been on the panel over the last few years but are not really contributing need to be culled. Again I feel Murphy will be important here as he will know players that with some coaching will be good enough to add into the panel.

Time will tell.  O'Neill is now in he front line.  Not behind the scenes.  So he will be under more scrutiny than he has been before but I expect that with all the experience he has picked up working all over the country at the highest that he will improve us and will be a success.

Not picking a fight... just that that doesn't tally with actually getting to a quarter-final this year and that not being sufficient. So I don't think it's as straightforward as that.

I would agree that there will be a small turnover, as there inevitably is when there's a new regime. And there are a couple of readymade guys from the underage ranks that will strengthen the 30. And a couple that will strengthen the 20.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 6:21 am

Would love to see Brian Murphy involved. He would be great I feel. Hopefully Cian will wipe the slate and start with an open book...... And I'm talking about the backroom crew JR had. Some to this day I still can't fathom how they got in their positions......

The Kildare county board have ratified the appointment of Cian O'Neill as the new manager of their senior football team.

O'Neill, who had been working alongside alongside Eamonn Fitzmaurice in the Kerry set-up as a coach and selector, has agreed a three-year contract with Kildare.

A native of Kildare, O'Neill takes over from Jason Ryan who stepped down after two years in charge of the Lilywhites.

O'Neill is looking forward to meeting his new squad and said: "My first job is to get a management team and a backroom team in to support me," he told the Irish Examiner.

"In the meantime, I’ll work on my own individual connections with players. We obviously need to scour the county to see what’s out there.

"I'm not interested in the players who just want to play for Kildare. I’m looking for players who want to win with Kildare. And there’s a big difference between the two."
......www.rte.ie
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 12:10 am

I like that last paragraph..
Roll on the new season.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 12:50 am

He's the same as ever other kildare supporter so Seamus. ....
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 12:51 am

I like that last paragraph as well Seamus. Do we have any Philly McMahons in the county? Not that they need to resort to all of Philly's tactics of course but that will to win like Glen Ryan in 97 and JD in 10 in particular. I have a feeling that things might be going to get a lot better in the next year.
Good to be facing the new year with a little optimism after the last two.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 1:05 am

But maybe not all kildare player's eh Jim..

I see where JD is being linked with a selector role. Would he be a bit too close to some of the current players ?.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 1:17 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
But maybe not all kildare player's eh Jim..

I see where JD is being linked with a selector role.  Would he be a bit too close to some of the current players ?.

I don't think so - would love to see him involved ...
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 1:21 am

That's the big challenge isn't it. Sound bites are fine but getting the players to do as you want them to do is a difference matter altogether.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 1:34 am

Great to have him at the helm
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 2:28 am

I believe Seamus Aldridge had a right go at the Ger Donnelly last night. Did anyone else hear anything?
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 2:31 am

If he did there was no need to. I think we all would of been happy with either Glen or Cian. Both have their strong points and I just hope we picked the right one.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 3:23 am

I agree botch both very good candidates in a head to head. But it's with the extras that have me confused. . So its Cian O Neill plus (by his own admission ).....no body. Or Glenn Ryan plus Anthony Rainbow Dermot Earley and Johnny Doyle .
like yourself botch i hope we made the right decision but I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. - Page 23 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next manager: Suggestions.
Page 23 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next