Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

St Conleth's Park

Go down 
+72
bigball
Ned
learmus
KILL BILL
really_unofficial_kildare
Thin Blue Line
Strangler
TheGreatof1928
FlourBag_1
MickosMen
Lilywhite forever
Caprea
*Southernsupporter*
NorthernLily89
bloodsub
Carbury legend
lily92
Kildare98
Ryan legendary
Anyonebutthedubs
CillDara71
bite the pillow
GoDownOnIt
CILLDara 1998
Flamingo
Badger85
Curraghplains
BearintheSquare
FearBan
if_in_doubt
Cassanata
Sorrynotsorry
Liffey Likes
LillieLad
hawker
fatherted
jimmers
lillyboy
topcat
moatesports
kelf
Hated in the Nation
Cilldara_2000
intheback
Highball
shortgrass
Botch
lily4fr
TommyKeegan
steviegenius
Sam1928
All down the line
Rex
All_right_in_white
Hurlerbehindtheditch
Jimmy winning matches
Gaa1928
Lily8
Taibi
kildaregaa365
lilysavage
micky murphy
Ogie
walsheman
jim
Big Full Back
kickingking
Fear An Geata
smokey
lilywhites on tour
SeamusMurphy
White Bridge
76 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
AuthorMessage
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 28, 2023 9:26 am

The match programme references that there was a greyhound track up to 1968

TommyKeegan likes this post

Back to top Go down
All down the line
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 9:04 am

Dog track around the pitch.
Not sure if the factory type building is BNM or a previous industrial occupant. Any idea on the date of the aerial photo?

Back to top Go down
All down the line
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 9:14 am

The photo I am told is late forties to early fifties. It is cut from an aerial photo of the entire town.
The 2 houses at the Kilcullen end were not yet built.
The "factory" type building is the BNM Central Stores, some offices and workshop. Ex BNM employees might have more detail.

Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 12:38 pm

On my first visit to St Conleth's Park, in 1960, I like hundreds of others especially us children ( I was 12) sat on the Dog Track so congested was the stand side. The game was Leinster Championship Carlow v Offaly........

Was what is now the Bord Na Mona building a factory in earlier times or did BNM build it ???

Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 9:11 pm

I know some of the early buildings at the changing room end were army houses built by the British like the old Curragh soldiers residances, my parents lived there for a short time before I arrived!
Back to top Go down
Hurlerbehindtheditch
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 9:58 pm

Has anyone noticed any work going on or any sign of activity on the site ??
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 7:21 am

Yes, thee is a temporary fence on the pitch about 25 metros in from the stand.
Lots of temporary offices.
Seats have been removed.
Some of the cladding from the stand at the Kilcullen end is also gone.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 9:02 am

Heard some of the old seats are being shipped to Athy.
Back to top Go down
MickosMen
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 7:03 pm

Big Full Back wrote:
Heard some of the old seats are being shipped to Athy.

Surprising Athy want them. They must be in bits.
Back to top Go down
Hurlerbehindtheditch
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 7:17 pm

I presume they will only use the best of them and keep what left over for spares. Better than just chucking them all in the bin. Glad to hear of a bit of progress already.

OutSideOfTheBoot and MickosMen like this post

Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2023 12:30 am

Would be great if someone on the forum could take a photo of works being carried out on say on a weekly basis ,and we will all club in and get you a 100 voucher

White Bridge likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Hurlerbehindtheditch
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2023 1:23 am

Just to be topical, why not fly a drone over once a week. I'm sure the county board don't have drone jamming devices since it took till last year to get a working tannoy  St Conleth's Park - Page 18 1f609 bounce

Gaa1928 likes this post

Back to top Go down
bite the pillow
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2023 11:19 am

I'm willing to give a 100 euro voucher to whoever captures the moment that the wrecking ball knocks down the toilet under the stand. No light, no hot water, no soap, no loo paper (just to cover myself for legal reasons the last time i was in there was circa 2014...i trained my bladder to hold out till i got to Johnsons after that) it was a health and safety no-go area !!! Thankfully we will move up (when it's finished) from 32nd worst county ground in Ireland to ?????... nominations on a postcard.

Back to top Go down
learmus
Intermediate
Intermediate
learmus

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2023 6:49 pm

Onhisboot, lilywhites on tour, Hurlerbehindtheditch and NorthernLily89 like this post

Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 26, 2023 6:14 am

Not sure if anything like this planned or if it might spark an idea, as it's a nice idea.

Not suggesting the Louvre, but some old Kildare jerseys with a history of them, history of stadium, few models, trophies, club info for all past and present, and intercounty photos and memorobilia over years - donations aplenty would flow I bet as a place to loan them to and keep them in good nick.

We've a storied history and maybe don't flaunt it enough. At worst, a nice visit before a game and some education for schools; at best might restore a little pride of place too.

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2021/04/14/museum-for-kingspan-breffni-as-part-of-tourism-hub-plan/

KILL BILL and Thelillywhites like this post

Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 26, 2023 8:44 am

Excellent idea
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 26, 2023 6:22 pm

Just a bit further on that, what would be needed to have this suggestion put forward to the powers that be?, it would have a better chance of happening if presented early

TommyKeegan and moatesports like this post

Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 29, 2023 9:29 am

Good question, happy to send ideas, anyone know who best?
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 8:11 am

Update on stand demolition. The wall in front of the terrace opposite the demolished stand has been removed as well presumably to do with widening the pitch.

https://twitter.com/KildareGAA/status/1653866228685971456?s=20

The flour bags likes this post

Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 6:25 pm

Some great footage captured so far. Hope there is more of this and they keep supporters in the loop.

Those toilets getting knocked.. We all sighed a relief

bite the pillow and The flour bags like this post

Back to top Go down
Ned
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 7:41 pm

@TommyKeegan I put in a request to get one of the old speakers from the stand in Conleths as a memento (I got it too. The one and only survivor!) and Kildare PRO Lorraine O’Connor was a brilliant help. Lorraine could have completely ignored my request but was extremely proactive and she would be a good place to start with any suggestions for what you are talking about

lilysavage likes this post

Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 7:48 pm

Is the terrace on the opposite side of the pitch remaining in place? It’s along way from the pitch and should be moved closer ideally . There’s no need for that roadway around the pitch
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 8:29 pm

I was what that ground tremor was last week. It was now in hindsight the toilets being demolished. Some demons were released there I'd say.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2023 1:32 am

Last week from a friend.

St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Conlet10

Rex, lilywhites on tour, lilysavage, Gaa1928 and really_unofficial_kildare like this post

Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2023 5:14 pm

Thanks for sharing this ! Good progress being made
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: St Conleth's Park   St Conleth's Park - Page 18 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

St Conleth's Park
Page 18 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next