Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PLAYER WATCH

Go down 
+35
Bad News Baba
murof
White Bridge
ElGuerrouj
ripvanwinkle
analysis
egocentric
kelf
lillyboy
tomcruise
losthope
BelieveToAchieve
patw14
archie
Ohtoohtobe
flourman
Ogie
johnsmyth
samhog06
Fear An Geata
lilywhites on tour
bob12
lomond
Botch
Big Full Back
Taibi
overthebar
realmoore
Highball
Athyman
Horsebox
topcat
SeamusMurphy
lastline
Flamingo
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 3:11 am

SeamusMurphy

You seem to know a bit about the Kildare minors. I was talking to a Meath man who has a son on the minor team and he told me that Kildare did not play in the Leinster League this year but played challenges only. Is this correct ?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 3:34 am

Officially they did play in the Leinster League TC, But in truth I believe it was mostly the panelists mixed with the u 17 dev squad from what I was told anyway, and not actually the first 15. One would imagine it would be better to play in this League, as their competitive games, and I think it was (the final) contested by dublin v meath ironically.
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 1:44 am

Strange decision by the Kildare minor management all right

Any chance of Kerry minors beating Dublin on Sunday ? It has been a strange championship.

Player Watch - unquestionably Daryel O'Brien the no.6 for Carbury.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 1:49 am

The Leinster League is a nothing competition... None of the top teams either play in it or play their best teams. The last time Kildare won it, they got milled in the championship - and if I remember, they got milled by the team that they beat in the final of the league. Don't take that latter part to be gospel. But suffice to say, it is like the junior reserve grades, useful for blooding the U17s and giving those outside the first team games/opportunities to impress, while the first team plays Cork, Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone etc in proper competitive games.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 2:57 am

Why is it a nothing competition Ogie?? Would they not be better off playing in it (all the top teams played in it this year), and by the way it hasnt been on for a few year.
Maybe I am wrong, but competitive games are far better than challenges, and FYI, the challenge matches you mention still included all or most of the panel, which meant it was harder to develop a settled team.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 6:49 pm

All counties participate, but not all the best teams, you will never see a true Dublin, Meath or Kildare in this competition. Rightly or wrongly an awful lot of cat and mouse goes on at this level, you can always make the argument for the other point of view, but this is usually done in hindsight after we have been beaten
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 7:31 pm

The whole structure of minor inter county needs to be looked at. the current situation where a back door exists in leinster and munster but not elsewhere along with the obvious difference in numbers in the various provences needs to be addressed. Kerry loose twice in munster and yet are in the AI semi tomorrow, Mayo beat Sligo to reach the connaught final and thereby make the AI series but in leinster you need to win 3 matches. loose 1 in ulster and its all over.

re the leinster league, there's only a six week window from the start of the minor inter county season until the 1st round of championship and for most of this time the club league is also running so its a pretty tough schedule for young lads

Last edited by lillyboy on Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 7:55 pm

LEINSTER MINOR FOOTBALL LEAGUE
ROUND I
2nd March - Dublin (3-18) Wicklow (1-9)
2nd March - Meath (3-11) Louth (0 - 6)
2nd March - Wexford (1-13) Carlow 0 - 8
2nd March - Laois (6-15) Kilkenny (0-1)
3rd March - Longford (1-2) Kildare (2-6)
4th March - Offaly (2-9) Westmeath (1-3)
ROUND 2
9th March – Louth (1-9) Carlow (0-5)
10th March – Westmeath (3-11) Wicklow (05)
10th March – Longford (1-23) Kilkenny (0-9)
10th March – Laois (1-12) Kildare (1-12)
10th March – Meath (0-19) Wexford 0 - 8
12th March - Offaly (3-6) Dublin (1-12)
ROUND 3
14th March – Dublin (4-16) Westmeath (0-08)
16th March – Meath (1-18) Carlow (1-13)
17thMarch – Wexford (1-07) Louth (0-10)
19thMarch – Longford (0-11) Laois (1-08)
19th March – Offaly (2-15) Wicklow (1-09)
Kildare (W/O) Kilkenny (SCR)
SEMI FINAL
25th March – Meath (1-16) Longford (0-08)
FINAL
31st March – Dublin (2-10) Meath (1-09) 
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 3:02 am

Regarding back door: See plenty Ulster moans on HS as well. It s simple.

Each province decides on how to run its own championship and the 9 Ulster counties decided NOT to have back door. Their decision, their loss
Back to top Go down
egocentric
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 6:29 am

Taught I was gonna log in here and see different names been talked about from the club action? whats all this crap about minor team and lads returnin from OZ..

stick to the topic..

l"ots of comments about the county team etc so we could use this topic to highlight any standout performers in the SFC, IFC and JFC in the coming weeks."

Taught Ray Cahill was very good but got to do what he wanted but cant take away too much from his performance. I was impressed with Chalky's performance as well.

James Kavanagh was excellent for Ballymore, Brophy won some good ball for Celbridge.

Watched one other game with nobody impressing.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 3:29 am

Missed the games at teh weeknd. Anyone stand out?
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 3:33 am

Wasn't at the game but I heard Paddy Mahon scored 10 points for Castledermot against Ellistown. Anyone that was there care to comment ?
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 4:06 am

Two fairly average sides on last nights showing, Ellistown could have won had they taken their goal chance in the second half. Freetaking was excellent especially the one from 50+ yards in the closing stages, but from open play it was hard to pick a standout performer. Best team won but I doubt JTB will be quaking in their boots.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Was at the Ballymore v Laurences game in newbridge. Noone was oustanding but shaun Fahy looked accurate in his score taking. Ballymore fulll forward Shane.. cant think of his surname looked a handfull as did Fogarty for laurences.
Back to top Go down
analysis
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 10:31 pm

ballymore full forward is shane kavanagh, brother of james, the 3 kavanagh bros were the only scorers for ballymore in that game.
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Was at Alllenwood v St Kevins game on Friday last. Best team won. I thaught that Jonathan Byrne was very good for Allenwood. SJ was quiet. I note that a lot of Kildare supporters have already made up their mind about him but he needs to be given a chance. You cannot judge him on his performances in 2012.

Was at Athy V Clane game last night. It was a super free by Murphy to draw the game. He could be a big player on Wednesday evening. David Lyons was good for Clane and I thaught that no 5 was good for Athy.The county players did not stand out but the conditions were sliippery. Athy might have gone back from last year but time will tell.

Everyone is telling me that the Sash will win the champ but there is a lot of football to be played yet.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 10:45 pm

Agree Tomcruise. A lot of football to be played yet. The sash are playing well at the minute alright but when it comes to knockout anyone can beat anyone on the day
Back to top Go down
ripvanwinkle
Senior
Senior
ripvanwinkle

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Was over at the allenwood kevins game too and thought johnston was good. It was also evident that the referee was not a fan of his as he was pulled on two outrageous decisions early on that would have lead to a completely different game but allenwood were the better team on a whole. Johnny byrne was very good but did find himself completely unmarked at times. I felt athy missed a few vital chances to kill the game off and could regret that. No team has stuck out yet and i hope the championship gets going in the quarters.
Back to top Go down
egocentric
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 3:27 am

why wasnt murphy starting for Clane??
Back to top Go down
ElGuerrouj
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 4:46 am

egocentric wrote:
why wasnt murphy starting for Clane??
He was only back from America during the week I think. Missed the game against Moorefield cos he was still over there
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 12:13 am

How did Paul Cribben fair out last night for JTB?
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 6:58 am

flourman

Obviously I will be biased but probably if Paul hadn't come on for his 20 min cameo we'd be out of the championship today. He made that much of a difference. He looks very fit and strong and he doesn't look to have lost any of his pace. He ran at Castledermot and caused all sorts of problems horsing lads out of his way in the process.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 7:52 am

Couldnt make any games this weekend, any players stand out? Heard Fogarty was good for Larries.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:54 am

I thought Tiernan and chalky where best for sarsfields today, Cahill looked dangerous in patches.
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Tiernan was excellent again for Sarsfields, serious pace and he can kick a score. He should be given a run at the start of the year with Kildare to see how he gets on. The Sarsfields no.4 did a great job on Mellett.

Podge Fogarty was the standout player in the first game kicked some great scores. The 2 O'Neills were good too. Conor Brophy made a big difference to Celbridge when he came on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PLAYER WATCH   PLAYER WATCH - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PLAYER WATCH
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next