Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013

Go down 
+23
Highball
TommyKeegan
tomcruise
Big Full Back
losthope
overthebar
kartman
Bad News Baba
NK
Fear An Geata
SeamusMurphy
Jimmy winning matches
lillyboy
Stonecold
flourman
White Bridge
steviegenius
johnsmyth
Ogie
if_in_doubt
MD
kickingking
Taibi
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
NK
Junior C
Junior C

McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 10:16 pm

lillyboy wrote:
Well the county board certainly can't be accused of lacking loyalty to their managers

We shall see how wise this decision is...
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 11:14 pm

NK wrote:
Cryan was not approached about the Minor position although he was very interested. Murphy was asked to take it again and said he would if no one else wanted it.

Jaysus that's heartening / isn't it - "I'll do it if nobody else wants it".

Whatever happened to "right man for the Job" / is it no wonder we haven't won a provincial minor title in 21 years.

Its that kind of attitude that saw Gilroy left in charge for 4 years without winning a game.

Imagine some young footballers would have played county minor under Gilroy and then county U21 football under Barry. Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 11:18 pm

I wouldn't read too much into the "if no one else wants it" quote. That's Irish for I want to do it but I'm not going to be rejected by you so I won't be forward in asking for the job.
Back to top Go down
NK
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 11:34 pm

Nothing against Murphy as think he has done a fine job and was very unlucky to run into a fairly exceptional Dublin group but surely as he said himself others should be given a chance. Trevor O'Sullivan with Celbridge is another who could do a good job or Pat Winders who really deserves a shot as well.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 12:30 am

Maybe some of those mentioned will be asked to join the minor set up this year
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 1:39 am

From what I understand Declan Cryan was / is interested in the Minor Job, but hasnt been approached ( as of yet ), to me he is the right Man, with the experience needed. Yes Murphy was unlucky as such, but I cant believe the CB would even consider giiving him the Job again, for what another 4 Years, FFS Lads do we really not care about our Minors??, All the effort that goes into the Development Squads should be geared towards a successful Minor Team, with the right people at the helm, with the right experience, not just," ah sur leave your man there, hes doing all right, a grand job " , doing all right is not f - - -king good enough for the talent we are creating, and as for unlucky, unlucky my a - - e, dosent cut it.
Sorry for the rant..
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 2:58 am

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't get it but what i will say is any of the young fellas who played under him (that i have talked to) speak very highly of him and his coaching.Also the parents of those kids seem very happy with how he handled what is a hard age group to train.

I feel its a game of inches and if dublin had not been awarded that soft free in croke park we may be speaking of him very differently.
It may be time to freshen things up but personally i'll still think of him as a very good manager and i'd like to see him involved with kildare teams in some capacity in the future.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 3:16 am

Of what free do you speak off Kartman, please tell us?
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 3:27 am

The first leinster final in 09. We were a point up with the game almost over.Dublin were given a free that for me was never a free but thats football. I'm not complaining about the free as such, just saying we may have a different view if it wasnt awarded.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 3:39 am

I think that goes back to the 2009 leinster and the free that Dublin scored at the end to draw the match. You'd hope that the county board have looked at all the pros and Cons before making this call . On the plus side and keeping things positive I was reading Micky Harts book recently and it took him a nice few years before landing a provincial title. So hopefully in a years time we' l be looking back with only good things to say. Either way good luck to all involved in 2013
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 4:03 am

What i would like to know from the CB is how the the pick these managers and what criteria the use in this selection process.......have these managers done the relevant coaching coarses, have a proven track record as manager with a club team or experience as a selector with another more experienced manager and served their time and learned the trade so to speak...... It seems that alot of these so called managers are nominated by there club or some county board delegate and in some cases have little or no experience to do the job........would it not be more professional to have one of our coaches (who are well qualified in all aspects coaching/managing young players) over a certain team and grooming a few possible lads who may make a manager in the future......you dont have to be a ex-county player to make a good coach or manager and this seems to be one of the main reasons why alot of these men get the job in the first place........IMO of coarse....
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 7:10 am

As far as I know the county coaches are not allowed take charge of a minor side and can only work with development squads. Most if not all of last years minor selectors came up through the development squad route. Of course if regulations such as above were in place could a certain Mr megeeney have taken over the senior team?
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 7:34 am

I wouldn't be a big fan of your man Seamus. imo his number two was the key last year and is doing the same job this year. My gripe regarding the minors is that is not sorted yet, regardless of who is getting the job
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 8:11 am

Cormac O'Malley‏@cormacpro

As revealed in the Liffey Champion last weekend Bryan Murphy will remain on as Kildare minor manager for 2013. #KildareGaa

Expand Reply
Retweet

Favorite
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 11:19 am

Spot on you are BFB..........B. Murphy in for another year........CB chairman would not allow a proposal for another name from the floor at county board meeting tonight....a bit strange I think.......
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Ah Lads tell me your joking please?, I have nothing against the Man himself, and I am sure he put in a massive effort over the last 4 Years, and maybe was a bit unlucky, but how in the name of God can the CB do this. I know for a fact he stepped down after the Dublin game. So whats going on, please can someone explain to me, as I am totally baffled, and losing all faith.
Again I repeat, this is not a personal attack, as I dont even know the Man, I am only going on whats been achieved in 4 Years, or the lack of, and a bit of common sence.
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 2:42 am

Was talking to a Kildare player today and he mentioned to me some names of players called in to panel. For a supporter who goes to many games during the year , I was in shock and actually laughed at some of the names.

Believe me these are token gestures to clubs to bring in players because there is not a hope in hell of most of these lining out for the Liilies next summer. As it will almost certainly be the Managers last year , I can see him going out in a blaze of glory with the players who have won so much in his time as Manager. Roll on 2013 Sad
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 4:38 am

Why don't you name them tomcruise?
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 6:05 am

In fairness, he's right not to name them. They are kids.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 6:22 am

Tomcruise, I always thought you were a fair and knowledgeable poster but recently you are coming across as a typical bar stool manager. You think from the comfort of the stool you know it all. If you did you would be in a position to act on your choices.
The closest you will get is if you put the names of the players you would pick so we can judge your self proclaimed knowledge.

Tommy Keegan I think he is referring to the senior panel if not he should still name players he would choose, without naming hose he disapproves of.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 11:25 pm

Wonder are Donegal fretting now over McGuinness after he took this new position with Celtic....
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 1:55 am

Big Full Back wrote:
Wonder are Donegal fretting now over McGuinness after he took this new position with Celtic....

Yes id imagine so. Celtic wont want him to be splitting his time surely. A massive distraction.
Reported 150k p/a salary for a 3-4 day week. Great offer for him and best of luck to him!
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 2:14 am

Best of luck to him, it'l be very interesting to see how it works out especially if the same degree of discipline and self control can be developed in the young soccer players the way it is in Donegal and indeed top level gaelic footballers in general
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 4:01 am

Its only 2 days per week in Celtic's Academy so looks as if it wont change much with Donegal.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 5:17 am

Three days a week, and the commute from Glasgow to Donegal is quite awkward. Throw in the fact it goes against a big part of Donegal's success and McGuinness' success and you've a problem. Aside from his and the teams obvious talent, total, unerring commitment and time was a key part of it. McGuinness essentially stopped his sports psychology and motivational speaking work in that time. He spent several hours a day on the phone to Rory Gallagher. In that sort of a system you have to lose something and it could come crumbling down. Personally cannot see it working. What happens, he heads off after a league game on a Sunday and doesn't see his players until Thursday night? This isn't Gaelic games in the 1980s, much more is needed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013   McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

McGeeney confirmed as Kildare Senior and U21 Manager for 2013
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next