Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare vs Mayo

Go down 
+40
bk 1
Flamingo
KILL BILL
kildarecat
if_in_doubt
Lily8
Stonecold
losthope
Taibi
LillieLad
fatherted
BelieveToAchieve
smokey
jimmers
Jimmy winning matches
Ogie
Rex
SeamusMurphy
lillyboy
micky murphy
Dido
disano
moatesports
Gonzo
overthebar
Loads of Pints
TommyKeegan
Kildare98
MD
flourman
kickingking
johnsmyth
midfieldmaestro
OutTheGap
murof
standhimup
Westside
kildaregaa365
topcat
Frankel
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:44 am

yeah I thought O'Grady played well, made a super block in the first half too.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 6:05 am

umpireonditch wrote:
sometimes i can't believe my eyes with some of the stuff I come across on this.

"to make someone look or feel young and energetic again"

I am after looking up the word rejuvenated in an online dictionary. thats the result.

JohnnyC wrote of one of our best players last year that
"On the plus side, Paddy Brophy looks to be totally rejuvenated this year"

Straight out of minor, main man for a provincial winning u21 team. Scores a goal in leinster senior champ v Dublin.
Plays super stuff in O'Byrne Cup final last weekend.

Madness.

I just thought he lost a bit of sharpness towards the end of last year and he seems to have it back now. He was also playing further out the field in certain games and I think he's better in the corner. I certainly didn't mean to criticise the lad, who I think is a great talent.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 6:53 am

umpireonditch wrote:
sometimes i can't believe my eyes with some of the stuff I come across on this.

"to make someone look or feel young and energetic again"

I am after looking up the word rejuvenated in an online dictionary. thats the result.

JohnnyC wrote of one of our best players last year that
"On the plus side, Paddy Brophy looks to be totally rejuvenated this year"

Straight out of minor, main man for a provincial winning u21 team. Scores a goal in leinster senior champ v Dublin.
Plays super stuff in O'Byrne Cup final last weekend.

Madness.

To be fair a lot of the U21's faded last year which is not surprising considering the long year they had and the ups and (ultimately) downs. I wouldn't under-estimate the mental tiredness side of it either which is a problem no matter how young you are!
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 7:58 am

From a Kildare perspective I should be delighted to hear that Johnny Doyle committed himself for one more year?, but why do I feel a sense of deja vu?

If we want to grab hold of the future the likes of Johnny Doyle have to let go...
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 10:05 am

What do you mean "the likes of Johnny Doyle"? - there are no such thing!

I think we should use Johnny more sparingly - possibly as an impact sub when games have opened up a bit. If you mean it's time for others to step up as the leaders then I agree with you and I think some have already started to do so, particularly Eoghan O'Flaherty who has been a real leader in the attack both last year and this.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Eoghan Flats staring to remind me of a certain Declan Kerrigan in the way he is now playing.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Stonecold wrote:
Eoghan Flats staring to remind me of a certain Declan Kerrigan in the way he is now playing.
He even looks remarkably similar to Kerrigan as well. We never had anyone since who could win breaks around the middle of the field like he could. He would be a huge asset to the present team and make it a lot easier for Connolly to kick out the ball each time.
Back to top Go down
bk 1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 10:39 pm

flats is doin well in the cf roll,brings players more into the game and took his goal well,connolly nearly did us at the end,great pint by paddy
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 10:50 pm

Crofter I would like to see a big changing of the old guard and at 37 I think the time was right for Johnny to step down and get involved in the background.

Yes you can never fault his desire and commitment but lets be honest the Johnny of old you almost expected him to put the ball over the bar but in recent years his shooting be it from frees or from play has become more erratic that you're hoping rather than expecting it to go over.

But I presume that Jason Ryan wanted him back? so I respect that, just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 11:03 pm

kildarecat wrote:
Crofter I would like to see a big changing of the old guard and at 37 I think the time was right for Johnny to step down and get involved in the background.

Yes you can never fault his desire and commitment but lets be honest the Johnny of old you almost expected him to put the ball over the bar but in recent years his shooting be it from frees or from play has become more erratic that you're hoping rather than expecting it to go over.

But I presume that Jason Ryan wanted him back? so I respect that, just my opinion.

as opposed to any other Kildare forward? In fact the only player in the country that you would 'expect' to score every time is the gooch imo

Ridiculous statement, JD was probably one of Kildares best forwards last year.
Back to top Go down
teedee
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 12:16 am

we have enough young lads on the team now to do the running, i think johnny, kept in close to goal, saving his energy for short sharp bursts, then slotting the ball over the bar, whether in the 1st 15 or off the bench, is the best way to maximise johnnys undoubted class. unlike the past when johnny would be chasing the length of croke park to get in a tackle or a block. glad the legend is back for 1 more yr. form is temporary, class is permanent.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 1:40 am

Great win indeed, and to score 2 - 19 was just brilliant..last Season I recall we beat Mayo by a point also, down in McHale PK.. but I suspect we will have it very tough versus the Rebels at the Weekend, they looked very comfortable against Westmeath.. Great news on Johnny, One most will welcome.. but I suggest He has a lot of catching up to do on the rest as regards training, and at 37 thats a huge ask imo.. especially as Jason said in a recent interview that "most of the hard graph has been put in at this stage".
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 2:19 am

kildarecat wrote:

Ah jaysus that must have been a clone of Johnny who was our best forward against tyrone and scored like 7 points thats day, Johnny still has it and should be played in the corner.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 3:51 am

Kildarecat the future is the next game as far as I'm concerned and that's all that matters. Next year is a lifetime away. Johnny will still out run the vast majority of the panel. His fitness levels are unreal. He's nothing to prove to anyone. Ask anyone who has been part of the panel what playing for kildare means to him. I'm delighted he's back.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 6:13 am

jim wrote:
Kildarecat the future is the next game as far as I'm concerned and that's all that matters. Next year is a lifetime away. Johnny will still out run the vast majority of the panel. His fitness levels are unreal. He's nothing to prove to anyone. Ask anyone who has been part of the panel what playing for kildare means to him. I'm delighted he's back.

Exactly the man is an out and out hero, he's carried Kildare for pretty much 13 years, he works his ballox off in games no matter if were winning or loosing, the man is something else the catch against down in the middle of croke park was immense!! I remember getting hammered to cork and Johnny was the one running back trying to win the ball back and then when we broke up the other end he was the one tapping the ball over the bar!! as long as JD wants to play there shouldn't be a word about it, he's a legend and still one of our best players, hopefully the young lads help him out!!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 6:43 am

Stonecold wrote:

Spooky - I had the exact same thought on Sunday. Only difference is he carries a greater scoring threat.
Back to top Go down
naked-lilly
Senior
Senior
naked-lilly

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 10:10 am

Lads johnny just turned 36 not 37 and anyone that thinks he's past it obviously didnt watch much football last year
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 6:52 pm

Spot on, Johnny deserves his place on merit alone, and would only come back if he knew he could do it so that is good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 12:25 am

Here Here Here........anyone who would question the ability or value of having JD as part of the senior squad is only looking for a excuse to get at the present management. I'm sure Kerry or Cork would love to have the players who recently retired as part of their senior panel to help integrate the younger players into senior team. There seems to be real buzz at the minute around the senior squad and long may it continue......there will be negatives with some games and results, but the typical Irish thing is to begrudge and find as many problems as possible just in case we are lucky enough have a bit of success....lets try and be happy that a player of calibre JD is prepared to commit to the cause for another year even with all his other work and family commitments......CILL DARA ABU...
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 1:53 am

JD could prosper if used sparingly this year. He has never been used as an impact sub before but is the best man to kick a point to win or save a game. Looking forward to having him back, he deserves another Leinster medal at least.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 2:38 am

I don't think anybody is questioning JD's ability - my concern is that he can't produce it for 70 minutes on a warm day in Croke Park - he will need to be used sparingly, whether thats letting him start or coming on as a sub - that's for management to decide. Maybe ala Harte and Canavan - start him take him off and then re-introduce him if needed.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 3:27 am

Ah jaysus I would say he would much rather a warm day in croke park, than a wet windy day in fucking Aughrim, of course he can do it from the start he was one of the fittest on the panel last year and I see no reason why he still can't be age is just a number Wink
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 4:08 am

Using Johnny the same way Tyrone used Canavan towards the end of his career is also an option available to Jason Ryan. I don't know about anybody else but if Kildare got as free in the last minute of a championship match this summer to win or even draw the game Johnny is the first man I would want taking it!
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 4:36 am

Ah the difference was tyrone had Mulligan Dooher and Steven O'Neill Johnny is still one of our best players, but we will see what happens I suppose Smile 
Back to top Go down
B'side blues
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 11:40 pm

Great win on Sunday,some great attacking play,excellent scores taken by Kildare which was good to finally see. However we still seem to be opened up at ease in the last 2 games against top forwards. Some wayward finishing,saves and a bit of luck helped us immensely. Im sure this will be worked on over time especially before we hit the wide open spaces of Croker.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare vs Mayo   Kildare vs Mayo - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare vs Mayo
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6