Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

kildare v derry

Go down 
+43
reichenhall
micky murphy
Sam1928
Shergar
ixus
Cranky
jj
Dido
Athyman
Wonder48
Dinny Breen
Bad News Baba
kickingking
kelf
Taibi
abl
Gaa1928
LillieLad
OutTheGap
flourman
shortgrass
The observer
Westside
overthebar
kildaregaa365
TommyKeegan
if_in_doubt
murof
Ogie
shoutitout
Ohtoohtobe
totalgaa
KILL BILL
topcat
Botch
tomoneillandhissisteranne
lilywhites on tour
lineball
lollypop
Stonecold
SeamusMurphy
lillyboy
Jimmy winning matches
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

kildare v derry - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:25 am

Baba O' Reily wrote:
Stonecold wrote:
Baba O' Reily wrote:
Ogie you sound like a man who has seen little or none of Kildare these last five matches. I could accept losses if the improvement was there, or the passion or some game plan.

Ha! That made me laugh, you've been sharpening your axe for the last 6 months and been non stop with your view and wished outcome.
Laugh it up chuckles, no Axe needed.  Ryan is doing a better job of getting himself binned off than I ever could.
Give a person enough rope and they will hang themselves. Ryan has been given plenty of rope.

Ogie glad you love it, kelf says your from Waterford but you seem to love all things Langer. Weird.

And love it the most! All I know is I'm making my comments here with you and most people knowing who I am... if you want to come up to me and have the discussion face to face any day, away from your veil of anonymity, and still make your snidey little three-year-old comments, you know where you can find me. And it won't matter if I'm from Zanzibar wanting to be from Munich!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:30 am

Baba O' Reily wrote:
Taibi wrote:
Baba O' Reily wrote:
Stonecold wrote:
Baba O' Reily wrote:
Ogie you sound like a man who has seen little or none of Kildare these last five matches. I could accept losses if the improvement was there, or the passion or some game plan.

Ha! That made me laugh, you've been sharpening your axe for the last 6 months and been non stop with your view and wished outcome.
Laugh it up chuckles, no Axe needed.  Ryan is doing a better job of getting himself binned off than I ever could.
Give a person enough rope and they will hang themselves. Ryan has been given plenty of rope.

Ogie glad you love it, kelf says your from Waterford but you seem to love all things Langer. Weird.

Does your Mammy know you're up this late on a school night?
Oh the brain of Ireland is back. 

When I visit her I'll ask her. She's not a fan of technology, unlike yours who I've heard down Nurney way is happy enough to get her hardrive checked by anyone who showed interest. Could do with virus protection though.

Did I just read this right?
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:37 am

Hmm lets raise funds for the county by having a forum white collar boxing nite............ raaaarrrr

Ogie I dunno who you are in real life.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:55 am

Stonecold wrote:
Hmm lets raise funds for the county by having a forum white collar boxing nite............ raaaarrrr

I've always been The Undertaker.... from neither Cork, Waterford nor Kildare. Death Valley.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:57 am

Does the division recently in here not say much about what's happening Kildare though, is that not a sign things are in an awful place. Always been debate but people so frustrated with what's happening it's boiling over. Amusingly so!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 6:33 am

Stonecold wrote:

Tom Cruise, only taller.

John Fogarty, only better.

Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 7:37 am

Ogie wrote:
Baba O' Reily wrote:
Stonecold wrote:
Baba O' Reily wrote:

And love it the most! All I know is I'm making my comments here with you and most people knowing who I am... if you want to come up to me and have the discussion face to face any day, away from your veil of anonymity, and still make your snidey little three-year-old comments, you know where you can find me. And it won't matter if I'm from Zanzibar wanting to be from Munich!

Keep your frilly knickers on boyo. I always thought you cork lads used Langer as a term of endearment. Obviously wrong. 

As for meeting you, sure your taking the old Internet far to serious there. Plus the fact that anyone who does "meet" tend to end up in a basement with a gimp mask on them.
The only reason I know who you are is the articles you post from your website. Other than that I don't know you from Adam. 

A lot of lads fierce precious about a bit of slagging. Sure I'll delete it if you feel violated. Don't want to upset your fragile little minds.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 8:42 am

Anywho..

Anyone read The Nationalist's interview with Jason Ryan today? He said there was no players dropped for disciplinary reasons. He was quite adamant about it too. He just felt the team needed changing.

I find this hard to believe.

Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:18 am

He'd be better off admitting the truth but saying was over with and no mentioning names. That's because everyone already knows so you kind of feel not that he's being clever or keeping it in-house, but he's treating those who are getting fed up of results like complete morons.

Last edited by TommyKeegan on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:22 am

Taibi wrote:
Anywho..

Anyone read The Nationalist's interview with Jason Ryan today? He said there was no players dropped for disciplinary reasons. He was quite adamant about it too. He just felt the team needed changing.

Bit insulting how obvious a lie this is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Taibi wrote:
Anywho..

If you were to take things at face value and believe what he says how wrong was he with his team selection?

We were 15 points down at one stage and looking pretty pathetic.

So maybe his team selection should be questioned.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Its a pity some of the Kildare players can't match some of the 'bite' and 'passion' on here towards the cause.
I have said on numerous occasions that i believe that it was right for the old manager to go and i had my doubts about Jason coming in after being so close to me it needed a full overhaul.
I will keep saying however that no matter who a new manager that goes into a job in GAA / Rugby / Soccer that the successful ones on most accasions have gone in and built from getting the defence right and increasing the workrate and intensity and then working out an attacking plan from there.
The O'Byrne cup doesn't count for anything in my opinion but the cracks were there to be seen when even some of the college teams ran down the middle at us however most supporters taught it was brilliant to be racking up big scores.
Now if team doesn't get back to basics in the next few weeks it is going to be a short summer and we probably won't even make a Sky Sports broadcast!!!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Taibi wrote:
Anywho..

Defo... you'd be better off just saying there were disciplinary issues, kept in-house etc etc. It'll be like Jack Charlton wheeling out Maurice Setters and Roy Keane next!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 8:53 pm

Read his interview as well. He came across very naive and genuinely dismissive of supporters concerns. The dogs on the street knew why those players were dropped. To suggest it was a tactical or planned decision is a bit insulting. 
He is doing himself no favours and my concerns for the summer are getting larger everyday. There is certainly a change in attitudes towards him. When that happens it's hard to reverse. The only way is to win matches.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 9:34 pm

I take that point but I think supporters expect too much that the county set-ups are motivated by their following. They'll say it, but I don't think it's a factor at all. I think it has become like that because players/managers/coaches have become pretty amazed/appalled by the level of scrutiny and abuse they get at games, social media, radio shows etc. McGeeney referred to it last year. He made no attempt to pretend he was motivated by doing his best for anyone other than those within the four walls of his dressing room and I think he paid for that. Jason Ryan launched a PR blitz, helped by the fact he's a very engaging individual and asking the clubs to send anyone they think was good enough was greeted positively, though I thought it was an utter joke at senior level! But now, that is all forgotten. So McGeeney got it right in the first place. Ryan's responsibility is not to the supporters, no matter how much we'd like to think it is. But by doing his best with the team that he can, he is ultimately doing his best for the supporters. Whether you agree his best is good enough or not, is a whole different herd of cattle. And as you say Rex, winning matches is the way to do that. I'd insert the word 'championship' before 'matches' is all.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 9:48 pm

I see what you are saying but it does him no good to blatantly dismiss it when it was plainly true. It makes him look weak. He should have just said lads were dropped and it's done now and we move on as a group.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:06 pm

I'd agree with that.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:19 pm

Jaysus I didn't read the Nationalist but the Indo interview was just dire uninspiring stuff.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:23 pm

Rex wrote:
I see what you are saying but it does him no good to blatantly dismiss it when it was plainly true. It makes him look weak. He should have just said lads were dropped and it's done now and we move on as a group.

Agree Rex.. And poor ould Towers were the Ones to suffer From those so called tactical decisions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:47 pm

Ogie wrote:
I take that point but I think supporters expect too much that the county set-ups are motivated by their following. They'll say it, but I don't think it's a factor at all. I think it has become like that because players/managers/coaches have become pretty amazed/appalled by the level of scrutiny and abuse they get at games, social media, radio shows etc. McGeeney referred to it last year. He made no attempt to pretend he was motivated by doing his best for anyone other than those within the four walls of his dressing room and I think he paid for that. Jason Ryan launched a PR blitz, helped by the fact he's a very engaging individual and asking the clubs to send anyone they think was good enough was greeted positively, though I thought it was an utter joke at senior level! But now, that is all forgotten. So McGeeney got it right in the first place. Ryan's responsibility is not to the supporters, no matter how much we'd like to think it is. But by doing his best with the team that he can, he is ultimately doing his best for the supporters. Whether you agree his best is good enough or not, is a whole different herd of cattle. And as you say Rex, winning matches is the way to do that. I'd insert the word 'championship' before 'matches' is all.

In a tactical sense and caring only about the team and not supporters his tactical decision really backfired, would you agree?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 11:36 pm

**JR** wrote:
Ogie wrote:

In a tactical sense and caring only about the team and not supporters his tactical decision really backfired, would you agree?

McGeeney? Definitely. If he'd have presented a few more medals and kissed a few more babies, he might have gotten another year, though like I said at the time, it might have been a blessing in disguise for him. As Jason Ryan is finding out!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 12:41 am

Ogie wrote:

McGeeney? Definitely. If he'd have presented a few more medals and kissed a few more babies, he might have gotten another year, though like I said at the time, it might have been a blessing in disguise for him. As Jason Ryan is finding out!

I was actually referring to JR and his "tactical" decision to omit Paul Cribben, Sean Hurley, Fergal Conway and others.

Derry was a must win game if we were to keep our slim hopes of survival alive. Jason Ryan made a tactical decision to try something different after losing 4 games on the trot in our most pivotal game away from home.

Whatever about his managerial ability, I couldn't tolerate a bluffer.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 1:16 am

**JR** wrote:
Ogie wrote:

I was actually referring to JR and his "tactical" decision to omit Paul Cribben, Sean Hurley, Fergal Conway and others.

Derry was a must win game if we were to keep our slim hopes of survival alive. Jason Ryan made a tactical decision to try something different after losing 4 games on the trot in our most pivotal game away from home.

Whatever about his managerial ability, I couldn't tolerate a bluffer.

Oh right. Well, I don't think too many people believe it WAS tactical. Or that it was for some of them anyway.

As for Derry being must-win, I never thought that myself though you'd definitely like to have been more competitive, no arguments there.

Kildare have too many players unavailable through injury. And that will be a problem come the championship because a lot of them will be undercooked. We've see the perils of that in the last few years. Not that anyone will bring that into account if it all goes Pete Tong.

Back to top Go down
Shergar
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 8:44 pm

While his joke about John Doyle coming on was extremely disrespectful and he obviously enjoyed rubbing it in, there is an element of truth about Joe Brolly's article in Gaelic Life last week about the Derry game and how we view Jason Ryan.

Joe Brolly: Lessons in Leadership

The manager is a critical figure in team sport. Teams are moulded in his image. His key tasks are to inspire the players and set the public tone. Good emotional intelligence is crucial.

A conspicuous example of a manager with none of the required attributes is David Moyes, floundering desperately at a club which just a year ago were strolling to the Premiership.

Before Liverpool played United recently, Moyes said publicly that Liverpool, “Possibly do come here as favourites.” Unsurprisingly, Liverpool justified the United manager’s pre-match billing, stuffing the home team. When City destroyed United a few weeks later at Old Trafford, Moyes said the City standard of play was what United must aspire to. This is a club Fergie insulted ceaselessly, memorably describing them as, “A small club with a small mentality.”

In a brilliant article this week in the Slate, journalist Ken Early critiques Moyes’ leadership qualities and writes, “Imagine Winston Churchill had promised not, ‘Blood, toil, tears, and sweat,’ but to, ‘Hopefully try and work hard to make life difficult for Mr. Hitler.’

Watching the Derry Kildare game at Celtic Park on Sunday, it wasn’t hard to see which school Jason Ryan falls into. After seven minutes the score was 1-3 to zilch and the overwhelming feeling was that Kildare were in the wrong division. Aimless, lacking urgency and devoid of any sort of fighting spirit, they looked like a group that had arrived in Celtic Park by mistake.

Beforehand, there was a worry amongst our crowd that this could be a very difficult game. That worry turned out to be groundless as Derry ended the game within ten minutes. In the context of a glorious, highly enjoyable league to date, this game quickly became a stinker. After the initial blitzkreig, Fergal Doherty was injured and had to be taken from the field. This killed Derry’s momentum, though that probably had as much to do with the fact that the Derry lads were thinking, ‘These boys are crap,’ as it did with losing the best midfielder in division one this year.

By half time, Derry were four up, but this was an illusion, since the game was in truth over. After Brian McIver spoke to the troops at half-time, they came out like the Magnificent Seven in the last shoot-out in the village. Mark Lynch, all 15 stone and 7.5 percent body fat of him, ran riot for a while, scoring a brilliant goal which made us cheer and laugh. By the 45th minute, the game was over again, on a scoreline of 2-9 to 1-3.

For a while we chatted amongst ourselves in the crowd and bantered with a few Kildare supporters who were, for some reason, extremely unhappy with the linesman. The announcer said, “Substitution on the Kildare team…” and I shouted, “Everybody!”

That made them even more angry, exhorting me to, “Go back to f*** ing RTE you bollox.”

Their ignominy was complete when Johnny Doyle began warming up and the Derry support began making jokes. “Are you coming on Brolly?” “I see big Tohill’s warming up.” An interesting feature of Kildare’s play is that they shoot from long range without looking. Out the forwards raced to the ball, then danced about for a second with their backs to goal before launching one over their shoulders. Every one of these went wide. Perhaps they operate on sonar, like bats. If so, they need to ensure in future that sound boards are placed directly behind the goals.

When the final whistle went, it was a relief. As I said to my father on the way out, “Thank God that’s over, it was nearly as bad as a Cavan match.”

Derry are not a great side or anything like it. We are however passionate, together and ambitious. In short, we reflect our leader, Brian McIver. In 2002, he brought Ballinderry to a club All-Ireland. Since then, every team he has been involved with has played the right way and played with the right spirit. He deserves much credit for patiently transforming this squad into a good competitive team.

Against Cork they were miles behind and rallied to almost win it at the death. Against Tyrone, they were eight behind at one stage and forced a draw. Fergal Doherty’s shot looked to have won it for us before Morgan got a fingertip to it and it ricocheted off the post to safety. Kerry beaten in Tralee. Half a Dublin team at home. Progress has been really really pleasing. Brian has also expertly handled the problem caused by Eoin Bradley. The team is playing with great unity. Which is the only thing that matters. Meanwhile, on sunday, Jason Ryan stood there surveying the wreckage like poor old Moyesey, commenting afterwards that Kildare would have to up their performance for the championship and other stock phrases from the cliché box-set.

We will not be fighting them on the beaches, but whatever the outcome, come June in Celtic Park against Donegal, McIver’s group will expend its blood, toil, tears and sweat. Jimmy can bank on it. -
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 9:00 pm

Christ, the man is a parody of himself now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: kildare v derry   kildare v derry - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

kildare v derry
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next