Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare Manager

Go down 
+13
lilysavage
Botch
Stonecold
Kildare98
kickingking
SeamusMurphy
Gaa1928
midfieldmaestro
Radley Park
Ohtoohtobe
LillieLad
bag of white
Dido
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dido
Senior
Senior

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 7:02 am

Just thinking to myself watching the all-Ireland final why we cant have a Home grown kildare Manager, We have enough guys from kildare with other counties getting on well in Management of teams and i cant see why we cant have our own. To me its the only way forward.....
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 7:18 am

Like Padraig Nolan or John Crofton?

Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 7:24 am

Id love to give Cian O'Neill ago seems to have something about him Smile
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Imagine he took it on in 2016 with Feely and Flynn back from their travels...
Back to top Go down
Radley Park
Intermediate
Intermediate
Radley Park

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 9:23 pm

This argument that a county manager should be an in-house appointment is ludicrious...if Glenn Ryan or Anthony Rainbow were the Kildare manager would that necessarily mean that Kildare would automatically be a better team for it? Absolutely not.
The fact that Dublin, Donegal and Kerry are successful is not because Jim Gavin, Jim McGuinness or Eamonn Fitzmaurice are one of their own - it's because they have some excellent players at their disposal, as well as the fact that these managers just happen to be out of the top drawer.
It frustrates me reading some of the shit on here that Kildare should supposedly be challenging for the major honours year in, year out when in fact, apart from the fact that they have no tradition or even recent history, of doing such that they simply are not producing the players or teams to do just that.
Kieran McGeeney worked wonders when he was at the helm and it's probably the case that he got a lot more of the players during his time than most others would have, but the simple fact is that Kildare are not producing enough top quality players at any one given time that should in theory make them a top, top side.
A manager can only work with the hand he is dealt.
Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior
midfieldmaestro

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 12:51 am

Radley Park wrote:
This argument that a county manager should be an in-house appointment is ludicrious...if Glenn Ryan or Anthony Rainbow were the Kildare manager would that necessarily mean that Kildare would automatically be a better team for it? Absolutely not.
The fact that Dublin, Donegal and Kerry are successful is not because Jim Gavin, Jim McGuinness or Eamonn Fitzmaurice are one of their own - it's because they have some excellent players at their disposal, as well as the fact that these managers just happen to be out of the top drawer.
It frustrates me reading some of the shit on here that Kildare should supposedly be challenging for the major honours year in, year out when in fact, apart from the fact that they have no tradition or even recent history, of doing such that they simply are not producing the players or teams to do just that.
Kieran McGeeney worked wonders when he was at the helm and it's probably the case that he got a lot more of the players during his time than most others would have, but the simple fact is that Kildare are not producing enough top quality players at any one given time that should in theory make them a top, top side.

Disagree with your final comment - good managers have shown over and over that they can consistently get more out of players and with good tactics improve a team and continue to do so over time. I personally think the manager has a huge role.

As a conversation point, I'm wondering - what if the GAA made a rule that said that a manager of a county had to be from that County or living / working there for a few years previously?

That'd be interesting. Might get rid of some of these mercenary managers now a days that you see turning up all over the place with limited success. It might also force counties to focus on coaching structures to bring through good managers.

Last edited by midfieldmaestro on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 12:59 am

midfieldmaestro wrote:
Radley Park wrote:

Disagree with your final comment - good managers have shown over and over that they can consistently get more out of players and with good tactics improve a team and continue to do so over time. I personally think the manager has a huge role.

As a conversation point, I'm wondering - what if the GAA made a rule that said that a manager of a county had to be from that County or living / working there for a few years previously?

That'd be interesting. Might get rid of some of these mercenary managers now a days that you see turning up all over the place with limited success. It might also force counties to focus on coaching structures to bring through good managers.

Maybe we should try this at club level in Kildare first    ( i.e. local club managers ) Laughing Laughing Laughing[/quote]
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 1:41 am

Were Donegal not an AVERAGE Team before Jimmy ??
Eamon Fitz took over a "so called Team in transition"..
If we have that attitude of " sur how can we compete with them, or sur we dont have a tradition of Winning".. well how the f_ck are we ever gonna win anything ?
I recall Glen taking, what was a very average Minor Team, and turning them into an AI Final competing Team at U21!!...
Are We always going to have this attitude, that the Players arent good enough because their from Kildare, and sur how could a Manager from Kildare be any good.. Why the Hell not ?
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 1:55 am

It appears to me like there is clear progression in other counties for managers/coaches.

Jack O'Connor was managing the Kerry u21s while he was one of Paidi's selectors. He was groomed to take over in 2004 much like Fitzmaurice was a few years ago when he was manager of the 21s and one of O'Connor's selectors. It looks like Darragh is now being groomed as the next Kerry senior manager.

Similarly with Dublin. Gavin had the u21 gig and was the straightforward choice after Gilroy. Dessie Farrell has progressed from the minors to the u21s and is probably odds on to take over once Gavin steps aside. Interesting to note that Paddy Christie is over the Dublin minors next year.

We don't seem to trust our own to the same extent here in Kildare. Glenn had one great year over the u21s where they really overachieved. It's a pity he went straight to Longford after that year because I'm certain he would have maintained the Kildare u21 team at a decent standard. It's great that Murphy has been appointed for next year. He knows the players coming through and all the young lads involved under him seem to have huge respect for him.

Whenever the Kildare senior job comes up again would a combination of Murphy and Cian O'Neill, who have worked together before, and possibly Brian Lacey thrown in as well, be palatable to the county board or would we be looking for a big outside name again?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 2:26 am

That might sufice KKK, as Murph and Lacey would probably still be classed as outsiders.. as for Cian O Neill, God know sur He is from Kildare, Hed be shi_e.. confused

Heard a rumour a former Kildare Great with Management experience may be joining the U21 Management Team..

Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 2:42 am

I should add that clubs have to take some responsibility for this culture within Kildare football. Look at the amount of mercenaries milking huge expenses in Kildare club football.

Anyone know is Brendan Hackett staying on as Kildare minor manager for 2015 now that Murphy has been announced as u21 manager?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 2:47 am

I believe MR Hackett was given a Two Year Term..

Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 7:58 am

KK is right on the money - we need to start producing our own coaches and those structures need to be put in place, fast. Every year we're not doing it we are losing out.

The system in Kildare has been all over the place. Glen Ryan gets the U21s to an All Ireland final and then turns up in - of all places! - Longford. This is the kind of guy you want working with young players in Kildare. Ditto Anthony Rainbow. Surely if there was a proper development system in kildare someone like Anthony rainbow would not be managing Carlow.

I think we have a core of experienced, dedicated players supplemented by emerging youth from last year's Leinster underage treble. My honest appraisal is that there is at least as much potential there as in Donegal when jim mcguinness took over (or for that matter when James Horan came onboard with mayo). Oh for a master tactician of the mcguinness/fitzmaurice calibre!

Looking on the bright side, Cian O'Neill is enjoying one hell of a learning curve and I have no doubt he will one day manage kildare.

If I was put in charge of kildare football next week - and I'm sure you'd all love that - I would make the development of coaches, with a clear line of succession, an absolute top priority. Meantime I would get Tony McEntee's phone number.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 7:57 pm

I think this year more than any proves that a system reaps more dividend than a football team. Take Armagh this year poor league, going nowhere, Geezer parachutes in gives them a system and they run Donegal to a point. Kerry poor league almost relegated going nowhere, "stars" injured or retired and they win Sam with that tripe. I pity the neutral that paid €80 and who in the future pay €80 for watching that rubbish, I for one won't.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Even with the team in transition Kerry have better footballers than we have imo. We definitely do have enough good coaches in this county to take on the senior team and do just a good a job as Jason Ryan. Like him or loath him Kieran Mcgeeny did a very good job for Kildare and showed the players a new level of professionalism etc. I think the new methods will bring benefits to every county on the end as all the training now seems to involve the ball a lot more. A lot more emphasis is on the skills at an intense level instead of the dreaded laps. Dublin do blocking exercises in every session. Kerry do kick passing with both feet before every session.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 9:35 pm

Thats it Botch.. there is no secret as to why almost every Kerry Player can kick with both feet, and are expert Ball passers, they practice, and from an early age too..
I was at a recent Underage Match between Kildare and Kerry, and the Kildare Lads did their warm up as if doing so for the 1,500 metre Race, not a Ball in sight.. The Kerry Boys warm up was all involving the Ball..

Im just curious as to why some on here are so against Glen Ryan for the Kildare Job ?
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Wouldnt rule that out. Dan Flynn will be playing in the county u21 championship next month and Feely has been involved with Athy since he went pro soccer . Surely O'Neill will give Kildare a go at some stage. His CV is excellent for someone so young.   Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Imagine he took it on in 2016 with Feely and Flynn back from their travels...
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 12:43 am

Think ya got rose tinted glasses, Kerry 2014 wouldn't lace the boots of any of their previous All Ireland winning teams. They beat Donegal playing northern style football no skill, no flair, and as for the warm up look at what Kerry were doing before the throw in. It's a system, we bemoan Dublin but they actually play football and feck the begrudgers I hope they are back next year and wipe the floor with that tripe.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 1:09 am

Kerry in fairness were forced to play like that in order to beat Donegal. They played open football as Mayo did in the semi. Its very hard to play open attractive football against Donegal with the way they play. Ask the dubs. The fact was that Dublin were good enough to kick amazing points in the first 20 minutes of that game that very few teams would be able to do.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 9:31 am

Well it's another county making the headlines instead of us. It's a right mess in Mayo at the moment. Listened to Liam MacHale tonight on Newstalk and you could hear the disappointment in his voice. He said it was always a dream to win an All-Ireland either as a player or manager and he said the later is gone and he would never consider the job again. It also means Kevin McStay won't be jumping at the bit again. McHale said both contenders had to present their vision for the post and team and according to him the selection committee felt the McStay/MacHale vision was too radical for the county board and then to be told there was an interview for the job but don't bother as we are happier with the Holmes/Connelly duo. It really has turned into a messy scenario.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 10:15 pm

Spectacular balls-up, the county board meeting tonight should be pretty entertaining.

Never ceases to amaze me how counties shoot themselves in the foot - we've obviously historically achieved quite well in this regard. Apparently the McStay/McHale vision was "too radical" - apparently it involved Mayo being more tactically adept and not being serial All Ireland losers anymore, so naturally that was going to be a non-runner. Colm O'Rourke failed to get the Meath job for the same reasons last time out and tbh Mick O'Dowd was out of his depth this year.

I think McStay/McHale would have been/would be an interesting choice in Kildare actually. Jesus I must have listed every available manager in the country at this stage. Ha! In fairness I think Jayo did enough in the latter stages of the championship to earn another crack next year. We were flat out robbed with that last minute free v Monaghan.

Promotion next year an absolute top priority though.

Actually interesting as well this is the second year in a row someone from Newbridge was in the All Ireland winning back room team with John Courtney with Dublin last year. Would be nice if it was actually with Kildare one of these years!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Maybe im being ultra negative HG, but I dont see us being promoted.. I just dont have faith in this Manager to deliver.. Hope Im a Million Miles out... Regardless I will look forward to His Post Match Interviews. tongue
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 11:03 pm

I know Seamus - trying to summon some positivity here! So much for Kildare to learn from this summer but very little faith Ryan will pick up on the lessons. Just don't think he's in the McGuinness/Fitzmaurice league.

Yes the post-match interviews should be good - certainly the AI final this year would appear to be somewhat at odds with his "top teams don't play defensively" theory!!
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 1:05 am

I really hope we can push for promotion and go to div 1 again. As I said before the higher the level we play at the better for our players imo. Jury is still out on J Ryan. Only time will tell.

Also I did think Glen Ryan did a great job with Longford but he was clever too. He took over when they were in div 4. Longford is a good footballing county with plenty of good players and a strong club scene. So it was a good job for him to take.

The Kildare job is an attractive one but a difficult one. It is going to be a massive task for any Leinster team to win a Leinster title in the next couple of years with Dublin around.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 1:55 am

MOTM in the AI Final, Paul Murphy wasnt even on the Panel last Year.. surely the fact that Kerry had a Kerry Manager was a factor in this Lad being spotted ?

Im sorry if Im coming accross as being so pro Glen, but wouldnt He have the nessecary qualities for our Job ? .. ie. Leadership, Passion, Experience, Players respect and would know every and any Player that might have the ability and desire to wear the White..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kildare Manager  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare Manager    Kildare Manager  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare Manager
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next