Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2015 season

Go down 
+38
lomond
Flamingo
lillyboy
Frankel
reichenhall
hawker
micky murphy
Big Full Back
lilly-exile
shoeshine
Gaa1928
Onhisboot
lilysavage
flourman
paddyr
Ogie
Fear An Geata
lilywhites on tour
Shergar
kelf
jimmers
Morrissey
if_in_doubt
topcat
johnsmyth
kildaregaa365
kickingking
murof
OutTheGap
shoutitout
Ohtoohtobe
Kildare98
Rex
jj
SeamusMurphy
losthope
LillieLad
Jimmy winning matches
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

2015 season - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 5:09 am

flourman wrote:
Sounded like a great game on KFM (despite the numerous clangers dropped, not least calling Dublin the winners after normal time), just ran out of puff in the end by the sounds of it.
Hope Kelly and Doyle are both OK : sounds like they were both missed in extra time.
Dubs were missing some serious fire power in Brogans(*2), Flynn and Connolly. But Kildare were missing a few too : with Conway, Bolton, Kelly all hopefully to come back.
Be interested in the views of those lucky enough to be in Newbridge today.

I was in Newbridge but was listening to KFM commentary also. That commentator is just atrocious. He literally gets every second player wrong on the Kildare team and wasn't a lot better with Dublin. Was the same in earlier games. Awful - would hate to be relying on commentary..
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 5:09 am

That's good about O'Flaherty, Hyland and Niall Kelly - they'll give us a major boost.

Agree that we were far too slack for the first 25 minutes. I was tearing my hair out because there was this huge gap between the full forward line and everyone else. Dublin's defensive set-up is not rocket science - the centre back was covering the full back line and had far too much space to himself. We were making aimless passes and getting outnumbered too easily.

But fair play to Jason Ryan - once we committed more to attack we settled into the game nicely. The transition between defence and attack is something we need to improve and our forward play has to get more clinical.

But I'd rather be working on that than trying to rectify the gaping holes in our defence that were appearing last year. Once you have the fundamentals of a good system in place you can work on tweaking and improving it.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 5:13 am

flourman wrote:
Sounded like a great game on KFM (despite the numerous clangers dropped, not least calling Dublin the winners after normal time), just ran out of puff in the end by the sounds of it.
Hope Kelly and Doyle are both OK : sounds like they were both missed in extra time.
Dubs were missing some serious fire power in Brogans(*2), Flynn and Connolly. But Kildare were missing a few too : with Conway, Bolton, Kelly all hopefully to come back.

I was in Newbridge but was listening to KFM commentary also. That commentator is just atrocious. He literally gets every second player wrong on the Kildare team and wasn't a lot better with Dublin. Was the same in earlier games. Awful - would hate to be relying on commentary..
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 5:22 am

Also agree about the killer instinct - with that last gasp Mulhall free, you just know if Dublin got that in the championship Cluxton would bang it over. All areas for improvement.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 5:28 am

It's amazing that ridiculous rule about red cards not carrying over to extra time still exists. Has there ever been a motion to change it at congress?
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 5:31 am

Crofter wrote:
flourman wrote:

I was in Newbridge but was listening to KFM commentary also. That commentator is just atrocious.  He literally gets every second player wrong on the Kildare team and wasn't a lot better with Dublin. Was the same in earlier games. Awful - would hate to be relying on commentary..
Agree fully on commentary point.  He is awful. Actually called Dublin winners at end if regulation time and had to be corrected by Peter McConnon who told him it was a draw ....
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 5:31 am

Thought we played well enough, the defence were very good at times Mick O'Grady, Peter Kelly and Fitzpatrick we're all class. One negative I have is we lose the ball well to easily coming out of defence by fucking around with it and it led to a few scores.

Our forwards were isolated with the counter attacking system we were trying to play it worked well in limiting goal chances as they had feck all, but in terms of forward play it wasn't great but we have the likes of Daniel Flynn, Paul Cribben, Alan Smith, Flats and Niall Kelly to come back and this will improve things massively. We also have the likes of Emmet and Fergal Conway to come into the half back line.

Onto the league if we play to our potential and keep injury free we can get promoted.

One last thing I wasn't mad about O'Gara's antics!!
Back to top Go down
lilly-exile
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 5:33 am

3 things that I noticed today. we're very reliant on fitzy , p kelly and eoin Doyle for a solid defence. Once they went off we were vulnerable.
The second thing is our midfield is very slow. Hughie lynch looked like he was running in mud at times and chalky's no sprinter. Moolick and paidi are a bit more mobile but that's not saying a lot. Wonder if a Daniel Flynn in there would give us more. Was watching mdma and the dublin no18 when they came on and they easily moved past our lads, especially on
Lastly as much as I love Thomas, podge has to be full forward from now on. Much more threat from him.
Back to top Go down
lilly-exile
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 5:36 am

Anyone see in the warmup, emmet bolton, mikey conway and cathal mcnally were warming up together. Who was the 4th player in the group? Looked like smithy but the eyesight ain't what it once was...
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 5:44 am

Yeah it was Smith.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 5:47 am

Saw Daniel Flynn in the crowd today.

When is Paul Cribbin likely to return?
Back to top Go down
lilly-exile
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 5:51 am

LillieLad wrote:
Yeah it was Smith.

Thanks lillielad. Is he far off a return do u know?
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 5:55 am

lilly-exile wrote:
LillieLad wrote:
Yeah it was Smith.

Thanks lillielad. Is he far off a return do u know?
He's back in training in 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 6:07 am

plenty to learn from today so I'd imagine J Ryan will be happy enough overall with the O Byrne cup. It is still a work in progress but hopefully if the league starts well confidence will grow.

using players who didn't play today we could line out as S Connolly, D Hyland,H McGrillen, S Campbell, E Bolton, F Conway,M Conway, T Mollick, D Flynn, C McNally, E Flaherty, P Cribbin, N Kelly, C Bolton, A Smith, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 6:12 am

Smith was the fourth.

The match was decent enough although where I was in the stand the atmosphere was poor. Hard to get worked up about the O Byrne cup final when we seen how we did after winning it the last couple of years.

Overall happy enough, it was perfect preparation for next Sunday. Tactically we were at sea until we pushed up on their kickouts. When we gave them possession they cut through us too easy. Good to see the manager make the right tactical switch even if it was 10 minutes too late.

Backs did well. Peter Kelly looks lean and quick, Fitzy gave it everything and Eoin Doyle once again showed how  important he is. His substitution I hope was for injury as a straight swap with Cribben was not the way too go. Murnaghan and O Grady did well.

Midfield as has been said has a distinct lack of pace. Hugh works his socks off but his speed over the ground is  poor. Paudi for me is not the answer either. Chalky did well I thought when he came on and I would start him next week.

Leper scored a few lovely points but gave possession away 5 or 6 times with silly passes that were never on. A few times they resulted in scores for Dublin.  Forwards did OK but the habit of running towards goal only to double back out the field is frustrating.  Podge for full forward next week with Tomas as an impact player looks the way to go. Mulhall did well from frees but in typical Kildare style the one to win it never had a chance.

We are still doing silly things at vital points of the game. We need to cut out the stupid hand pass or taking the ball into contact when the pressure is on. It only takes one small thing to change games and we seem to give other the chance all too often.

Next week is what counts. A win against Down and this week will be well forgotten.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 6:16 am

would paul cribben be other option at midfield, keith from earlier in week that he would get a run today
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 6:25 am

kickingking wrote:
It's amazing that ridiculous rule about red cards not carrying over to extra time still exists. Has there ever been a motion to change it at congress?

It's effectively because extra-time is deemed to be a new game, isn't it, which is in itself a bizarre rule. So it's probably more complicated than just changing the rule regarding the red card.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 6:25 am

jj wrote:
Crofter wrote:
flourman wrote:

I was in Newbridge but was listening to KFM commentary also. That commentator is just atrocious.  He literally gets every second player wrong on the Kildare team and wasn't a lot better with Dublin. Was the same in earlier games. Awful - would hate to be relying on commentary..
Agree fully on commentary point.  He is awful. Actually called Dublin winners at end if regulation time and had to be corrected by Peter McConnon who told him it was a draw ....

While on the subject, having Barney Rock analysing when his son was playing is a bit ridiculous. And it was somewhat cringeworthy to hear Costello call McConnon a legend for Kildare in the same breath as calling Rock a a legend for Dubs. I'd say Pete himself was squirming just a little.
Back to top Go down
lilly-exile
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 6:35 am

fone wrote:
would paul cribben be other option at midfield, keith from earlier in week that he would get a run today

Good call. We definitely need legs in there. Think the day of the big hard midfielder is disappearing. Speed over high fielding seems to be the order of the day
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 6:41 am

fone wrote:

Paul wasn't listed on the programme today. Is he training and available for selection? He'd give us more mobility there but would he be strong enough? The Dublin midfielders did a lot of running over and back to get free for the kick-outs and we couldn't keep up at times.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 6:48 am

JohnnyC wrote:
fone wrote:

Paul wasn't listed on the programme today. Is he training and available for selection? He'd give us more mobility there but would he be strong enough? The Dublin midfielders did a lot of running over and back to get free for the kick-outs and we couldn't keep up at times.
in kildare gaa at moment the selection of midfielders so we cannot fussy , worth a go should strong after his oz trip
Back to top Go down
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 6:51 am

The game was a perfect warm up for the league, and really gave our defence its first test, It took 25 minutes to get to grips with Dublin but I thought we defended excellently in the second half. I though the management were correct in substituting Doyle, Kelly & Fitzy, who each took knocks, with a view to next week although it may have cost us the game in the end.

Big plus for me was the form of Mick O'Grady who was really excellent in defence and breaking out with the ball, negatives was our inability to find our forwards in 1st half, or the inability of the forwards to find space, Fionn Dowling looked nervous in full forward line (kicked one good point) but fumbled a lot of ball, he did better when he moved out the field, Tomás was totally ineffective, he will have better days but Fogarty did far better. The only positive about Tomas and this maybe clutching at straws was he kept O'Carroll occupied and meant Dublin had no one else of that stature to mark Fogarty. Mulhall kicked some fine frees but didn't get the freedom he got in previous games, he contributed well though.

Murnaghan did well again, it was good to see Keith Cribbin back as well, Donnellan maybe had his best game for Kildare, Callaghan is really frustrating, his quality is obvious and he kicked some great scores but he turns over too much ball. O'Flaherty to me is a better option for centre forward if it comes down to a choice between them.

All in all a positive display and competition for places should be intense with quality players returning, Hopefully we can hit the ground running in the league, and keep adding players to the team, improving our system and the accuracy of our play, while winning matches.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 7:27 am

One other point I'd like to make - it's more about Dublin but it's something Kildare can take encouragement from. I hugely admire Jim Gavin's commitment to attacking football but he really is not the most tactically astute of managers. Certainly not in the same league as McGuinness or Fitzmaurice.

I was very interested to see how Dublin set up today after they were so ruthlessly exposed by Donegal last year. The wing backs were a bit more cautious about attacking and the centre back played a sweeping role, and... that's it. I think they still have a lot of the same vulnerabilities defensively.

It's debatable whether ourselves or Meath really have the quality to exploit this but I think it could - again - prove their undoing later in the year. I think Kerry would have had their measure last year, but with Gooch and Tommy Walsh back in the team I could really see them taking that defence to the cleaners. I'm sure Mayo, Donegal and even Tyrone could cause them problems too. Maybe even Cork as well if they get their arses in gear.

Anyway, long way to go obviously. But just an observation I made today.
Back to top Go down
lilly-exile
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 7:34 am

What did people think of daryel obrien? Thought the speed of dublin might have shown him up but I thought he did very well. Seems to read the game very well which makes up for lack of speed. good user of the ball too. Still think fergal Conway is ahead of him though
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 7:41 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
One other point I'd like to make - it's more about Dublin but it's something Kildare can take encouragement from. I hugely admire Jim Gavin's commitment to attacking football but he really is not the most tactically astute of managers. Certainly not in the same league as McGuinness or Fitzmaurice.

I was very interested to see how Dublin set up today after they were so ruthlessly exposed by Donegal last year. The wing backs were a bit more cautious about attacking and the centre back played a sweeping role, and... that's it. I think they still have a lot of the same vulnerabilities defensively.

It's debatable whether ourselves or Meath really have the quality to exploit this but I think it could - again - prove their undoing later in the year. I think Kerry would have had their measure last year, but with Gooch and Tommy Walsh back in the team I could really see them taking that defence to the cleaners. I'm sure Mayo, Donegal and even Tyrone could cause them problems too. Maybe even Cork as well if they get their arses in gear.

Anyway, long way to go obviously. But just an observation I made today.
at moment kerry only team able trouble dublin .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2015 season   2015 season - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2015 season
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next