Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

5 all star nominations

Go down 
+36
The Oracle
FearBan
bag of white
midfieldmaestro
daracill
carburyman
flourman
Fear An Geata
shortgrass
shoutitout
centreback
jj
if_in_doubt
Ogie
stanley
Sam1928
steviegenius
ripvanwinkle
tomcruise
Rex
gaaweb
analysis
KILL BILL
Highball
Lily8
GaaHead
Onhisboot
mrblobby
Stonecold
bloodsub
kickingking
lilypremier
hawker
Jimmy winning matches
browser
kartman
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

5 all star nominations - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 8:04 pm

I think clarke will get player of the year,brogan a close second.Would have thought doyle third but who knows after sunday.

Peter kelly must be in with a shout for young player? a good shout i'd say.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Great news for the lads and the County as a whole. The turn around in the level of performance in the last three years is something to behold.
J.D must get one. A complete farce if he does not. Out of the other four I think Peter will get one and an outside chance for possibly Emmet.

I love the fact that there are lads who are coming from nowhere and turning out to be superstars.
Hank, P.Kelly, R.Kelly and Hugh Lynch where on no ones list of possible starters two years ago.
I look forward to the coming years to see what other gems are discovered.

Great times to be a lilywhite, as the supporter in the Nationalist put it "we don't know how lucky we are".

Player of the year will be B.Brogan.
Back to top Go down
gaaweb
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 8:20 pm

supersub wrote:
I think clarke will get player of the year,brogan a close second.Would have thought doyle third but who knows after sunday.

Peter kelly must be in with a shout for young player? a good shout i'd say.

Would agree that Peter has to be in with a shout, which would be great for him.

As for player of the year I think Brogan will get it though would love to see JD.

How often have players who are not from the All-Ireland winners gotten player of the year?
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Last player to get player of the year and not an All Ireland winner in the same year was Steven McDonnell in 2003.

Bernard Brogan is cert for player of the year in 2010.

I think the fact that JD was nominated in the half forward line nearly guarantees him his place there.I hope so.The full forward line will be Gooch , Brogan and Goulding.

The more I look at it makes me think that Kelly and Bolton will be picked also.Their names are appearing on every team that I have seen so far.

Time to go off and have the O'Flaherty's babies ( Fionn McCool that was a bit uncalled for :lol! ): If you look at my previous posts , you will note that I have praised JD more than the Flas this year but I do not see anything wrong for praising your own clubmen who are both young and will have their day in the sun.
Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 8:53 pm

I think we are overlooking the influence of Eamonn Callaghan on the turn around in Kildare's season......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Ah sure its only a bit of craic TC, dont take it personal...

I agree that i think we will get 3 in Peter Kelly, Emmet Bolton and JD.

What a year its been for Peter Kelly. Not even on the panel for the Louth game, he's now looking at an All Star, playing for Ireland in the International Rules and he's still only 21.
I seen him play against Westmeath in the U21's in Mullingar early in the year in midfield and he looked just an average intercounty player.
He's certainly made the step up.
Back to top Go down
ripvanwinkle
Senior
Senior
ripvanwinkle

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Funny thing is i think johnny has had better years.... I think he deserves an all star but if he got player of the year i think it would only be out of sentiment, bit like the year giggs got it in england!!! I know brogan has time on his side but he was the outstanding player in the championship. I thin we will at least get 2, kelly and jd. Would be very suprised if bolton got one, either kav or leper for third
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 9:12 pm

I think we are going to get 3 with Peter Kelly Emmet Bolton & Johnny Doyle with Johnny on the half forward line he is more of a cert to get one and what a year for Peter Kelly fair play to him.
Bernard Brogan is a cert for footballer of the year no doubt there.
Back to top Go down
analysis
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 9:23 pm

Yep, can;t see eamonn being overlooked, the fact that he wore 15 and has been nominated at half back shows that he was noticed ,genuinely think we deserve at least 2 considering we were semi finalists. has to be JD AND EAMONN
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 9:52 pm

It wasnt long ago that Darryl Flynn and James Kavanagh had people slagging them off saying they werent good enough for Kildare. One is now an All star nominee and the other we talk about him as should have been nominated.

I think its fantastic the levels these two players especially have jumped in the last year or so. Credit to them and management.

I think we will end up with only 1 all star. Some questionable inclusions there based on number of games this year i.e. the O' se's, the limerick midfielder and Pauraic Joyce especially.
Back to top Go down
stanley
Intercounty
Intercounty
stanley

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 10:44 pm

If I was in charge of the allstars we would have six with Flynn at midfield but looking at the nominations we have a good chance of getting three, Kelly in the full backs , JD in half forwards and either Callaghan or Bolton in the half back line. If Kildare had got to the final Kavanagh would have been assured of his place in full forwards but I reckon it will be Coulter and Goulding because their teams contested the final and Brogan because he has had some great games this year and the media have already awarded him player of the year, The winning team always get the most so Cork will probably get five players with Down picking up three or four, Kildare two or three and Dublin probably two. I hope John Galvin gets one as he was immense in the games I saw him playing.

Mc veigh Down

Kelly Kildare
Shields Cork
Gordon Down

Canty Cork
O leary Cork
Callaghan or Bolton Kildare

Galvin limerick
M D Macauley Dublin

Clarke Down
Kerrigan Cork
Johnny Doyle Kildare

Goulding Cork
Brogan Dublin
Coulter Down
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:21 pm

Leper was nominated at half-back because that's where he played through most of the qualifiers. Johnny got nominated at half-forward because - well there's no third line of 2 in the All-Stars - so he was obviously the contender for half-forward. He has a great chance... it's very tough but he should get it.

I think Peter Kelly should get it because he's one of the few nominations who's been top in every game he's played.

If you got two I'd say you'd have to be very happy - as you would have to be with five nominations.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:54 pm

Top Scores last 5 seasons:

Some haul by Johnny in fairness.

2010 John Doyle (1-49)
2009 Colm Cooper (1-34)
2008 John Doyle (2-26)
2007 James Masters (3-30)
2006 Conor Mortimer (1-35)
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 1:10 am

Before the nominations came out I was feeling that JD would be our only All Star, but after seeing the list it looks like we have a great chance of getting at least 2, and very possibly 3.

Peter Kelly - almost a certainty

Bolton and Leper - very strong chance of one of them

Doyle - has to be a certainty

Jimmers - will miss out to Brogan, Coulter and a Cork forward.

Peter Kelly was one of the stand out corner backs in the country this year, and transformed our full back line after the Louth game, sure even the idiots on the Sunday Game were able to see this and pick him.

Callaghan being nominated at half back seems to be an effort to try and accomodate him into the final team. Regardless of the number he togged out in a lot of us know the role he played for us and the areas he operated in. If they were going to nominate him on the basis of a man of the match and player of the month award he would have been nominated in the forwards. Putting him in as a half back makes me think he'll battle with Bolton for the third half back spot after McKernan and probably Kissane.

If Johnny Doyle isn't a cert for an All Star this year then God knows what is wrong with the GAA.

Jimmers deserves his nomination alright but would probably have more of a chance of winning one if he was picked in the half forward line.

Anyways who would have thought that only a few months after the defeat to Louth, and the slating that the team and management took from some quarters, that we'd be here debating over 5 possible All Stars and still have time to argue that more should have been nominated?
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 1:38 am

JD and leper getting one each is a strong possibility and would round off a brilliant year.
I'm sure Kieran will be secretly delighted for them
Back to top Go down
analysis
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 1:49 am

I'm sure he'll be publicly delighted for them too!!!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 4:20 am

Paddy Power

Peter Kelly 2/5
Emmet Bolton 1/2
Éamonn Callaghan 16/1
Johnny Doyle 2/5
James Kavanagh 11/2

I'd be tempted to have a punt on Leper at 16s. He was the All-Star's player of the month for July and the fact that he is nominated in the half-backs suggests to me that he is under serious consideration for a place.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 4:56 am

Surpprised to see Bolton so short in the betting to get one
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 5:10 am

where ya get them odds
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 6:12 am

Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 6:32 am

Looking at that betting it seems Kelly and Doyle will get them so.
We'd only get one in the halfback line, no chance of the 2 in my opinion.
By the looks of them prices Bolton has a good chance of getting it.
Back to top Go down
lilypremier
Senior
Senior
lilypremier

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 8:34 am

Well done lads. Hope Johnny gets one as it is well deserved.
However I cant see how cork got 11 nominations? If they were picking the team on the basis of PERFORMANCE, cork would get much less. Sure they played brutal for most of the championship this year, if we all remember?
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 9:00 am

Marty Clarke not quoted. Too short maybe?
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Well done lads hope all 5 win one but we will prob get 3 JD, Kelly and Bolton.

Does anyone remember how many All stars we got in 98?
Back to top Go down
shortgrass
Senior
Senior
shortgrass

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 6:47 pm

i think this was the 1998 all-stars

Martin McNamara (Galway), Brian Lacey (Kildare), Seán Marty Lockhart (Derry), Tomas Mannion (Galway), John Finn (Kildare), Glenn Ryan(Kildare), Seán Óg De Paor (Galway), John McDermott (Meath), Kevin Walsh (Galway), Michael DonnellanFOTY (Galway), Ja Fallon (Galway), Dermot Earley (Kildare), Karl O'Dwyer (Kildare), Pádraic Joyce (Galway), Declan Browne (Tipperary)

so that made 5 on that year

but open to correction.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 all star nominations   5 all star nominations - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5 all star nominations
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next