Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Moorefield v Portlaoise

Go down 
+30
FearBan
CountyChampions10
Mooreman
ElGuerrouj
GaaHead
Oneill
wingback
kickingking
rgb
Stonecold
Yellow Pearl
paddypower
sillycow
The Oracle
johnsmyth
Lily8
walsheman
kildarecat
Loads of Pints
Sam1928
backatlast
Ogie
Big Full Back
nowornever
Rex
abl
centreback
realmoore
Jimmy winning matches
peile
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
realmoore
Senior
Senior

Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 12:05 am

it was a cracking game of football played by two well matched teams and the result could have gone either way, with a bit more luck for us.

Felt a few Key Decisions went against us yesterday.

1. No Penatly for Roli when clearly being Mauled by three portloaise players
2. Corley had a ball thrown up for delaying kick outs, but yet when the portlaoise Keeper was doing this, the ref done nothing,
3. Is it not a throw ball when the ball hits the Ref and obstructs its course?? he played on and Portlaoise got a point.
4. Ref called a pick up on Keith Duane when the ball was bouncing and from this play portlaise got their second goal.

I have no problems with Bad referee's as long as their decisions are consistent for both Teams.
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 1:48 am

sour grapes there from the county final newbridgefan?

one big question that came into my mind was why hannify started anyone know the reasoning behind this??
Back to top Go down
nowornever
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 4:00 am

The penalty claim was a close call but Roli went down easy enough but still it looked like a good shout. Corley shouldn't have being called for time wasting on that kick out why would he want to waste in the 1st half anyway that was a very strange decision. The ball did not hit the ref at all so i don't know why he would have stopped the play. Rogers was standing on his own 20 yards from goal who was marking him the pick up had nothing to do with that. The goals won the game but Moorefield deserved something after they played some great football from start to finish.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 8:17 pm

I didn't think it was a penalty and what's more, not one Moorefield player looked for it - but there were a couple of other incidents where they might have had frees, and the Corley thing was ridiculous and for Flynn to get sent off for that was brutal. I thought Moorefield did themselves great credit and they did much better than I thought they would. Should really have been 10 points down at half time though - what a clearance off the line by Ger Naughton! and good double save by Corley too. Kicked some great points in teh second half though - obviously worked on the shooting during the week! I presume Moggy was hurt? Big loss.
Looking at Portlaoise there and the influence of Touhy, I reckon they'll lose to the Crokes as he'll be gone back to Oz - he gave Kev a bit of a torrid time although Naughton did much better.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 10:49 pm

Portlaoise are a decent side I was fearful of their forwards before the game and they didn't let me down unfortunately in that respect, first half in particular.
Ogie those two saves Corley had to make hardly came from wonderful Portlaoise play, Lolly slightly mistiming a jump getting his hand to the ball but somehow it broke inside to the unmarked Portlaoise player behind him, and Corleys second save came from nothing as well because Moorefield were attacking and our good friend the ref decided to get in our way to give them an overlap, but it says one thing Tom Corley is the best keeper in Kildare and for him to be dropped by Geezer has many a Kildare supporter still scratching their heads, are you watching GEEZER??..

To say I was very disappointed walking out of O'Moore Pk Sunday is an understatement, as I said I thought we played some wonderful football as did Portlaoise, if you played the game again next week you'd just as easy get a different result, two evenly matched teams.

I can't let this post go without having a little pop at our bitter Sarsfields supporter who goes by the name Newbridgefan? does that user name cover Moorefield too?, obviously still seething after Moorefield steamrolled them in the last 10 minutes, I might of been disappointed Sunday but hell man I was on CLOUD 9 last Sunday week, the Sarsfield supporters walking out with their tails betweeen their legs as the Moorefield fans celebrations were still echoing around St Conleths Pk, they really thought they had us, a lovely thought to bring with me into these cold winter months until we start again next year.

Before I go can I say a very well done to our hurlers who won the intermediate to secure senior status, I wish them all the very best for the future and not to rest on their laurels because they know themselves Senior will be a whole new ball game!.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 11:20 pm

kildarecat wrote:
but it says one thing Tom Corley is the best keeper in Kildare and for him to be dropped by Geezer has many a Kildare supporter still scratching their heads, are you watching GEEZER??..

Having gone to 80% of the league & O'Byrne cup games and all bar Derry in the championship I disagree. And did Corley not walk away from Kildare? So maybe he too thinks he's the best, but its one thing thinking you are an another acting like you are.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 11:43 pm

I often get accused on here falsely I may say for been deliberately provocative, if I have a fault is I always have an opinion, whats that they say? there's no rights and wrongs only opinions!, can we not accuse my good friend Stonecold of been deliberately provocative? really does like to wind me up,

“I'm not the greatest; I'm the double greatest. Not only do I knock 'em out, I pick the round.”

A Muhammed Ali saying, I can't for the world of me think that Tom Corley would be as brazen as Ali, comes across as a quiet unassuming guy to me.
Or maybe its because he plays with one of the most hated teams in the county?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 11:49 pm

I agree Corley is probably the best keeper in the county but if his application isn't up to scratch well then does he deserve the No 1 Jersey?

Another thing on the game that i noticed, Kevin O'Neill was absolutley roasted by Touhy, i hope he was carrying a knock. if he not, his county days are well behind him.

I think if Moorefield were to play them again next week, it would be a completely different outcome.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 am

fionnmccool wrote:
I agree Corley is probably the best keeper in the county but if his application isn't up to scratch well then does he deserve the No 1 Jersey?

Another thing on the game that i noticed, Kevin O'Neill was absolutley roasted by Touhy, i hope he was carrying a knock. if he not, his county days are well behind him.

I think if Moorefield were to play them again next week, it would be a completely different outcome.

I agree Fionn Kevin did struggle early on and the Moorefield selectors were quick to rectify it, moving Ger Naughton in and Kevin out to the half back line, both players then putting in sterling performances after, maybe his county days are behind him, but from a club point of view he still has a lot to offer if used around the half backline he can use his vast experience and football brain where pace is not as much as an issue.

Something that hasn't been said so far on this thread, how much of a loss was Brian [Moggy] McGrogan for Moorefield on Sunday?, he was very influential in Moorefields come back against Sarsfields using the ball cleverly and unselfishly!.
Back to top Go down
rgb
All-Star
All-Star
rgb

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 12:03 am

Hold on there KC, what did Stonecold say that was provocative?
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 12:08 am

rgb maybe accusing a player of been arrogant and full of himself when he couldn't be further from the truth.
Back to top Go down
rgb
All-Star
All-Star
rgb

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 12:11 am

He didn't say that. He said that if Tom Corley thinks he's the best, he has to go and prove it. It's one thing thinking it, it's another thing proving it.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 12:50 am

Personally, I have no problem with Tommy not playing for Kildare - I've seen plenty of mistakes from him but they were two good saves from Cahillane... He didn't make the other save, Ger Naughton did, the one where the ref got in the way as you rightly say KC. As for Geezer watching, he's been watching three times a week for three years... combined with what I've seen myself, I have no problem with Tommy not playing for Kildare.

As for whether or not Portlaoise played well in the first half, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I thought Moorefield were second best for most of the first half and considering they were five down and had Tommy's double save and a shot cleared off the line (okay the ref got in the way but that was in midfield - a lot happens between there and the other end of the field) - I think it's fair to say they were lucky to be still in the game at half time. Okay, Lolly made a mistake but there is no doubt that Portlaoise targeted Moorefield's full-back line.

Moorefield were by far the better team in the second half though, with midfield, Roly and Kelly all outstanding. Naughton too.

I'd agree that Kev has plenty to offer at club level - I thought he won some important dirty balls in the last 10 minutes of the county final too before being taken off. Tuohy is a very good player with 12 months full-time training and resting behind him - anyone who's been watching football for the last while knew why Kev wasn't playing for Kildare though plenty did bang on that he should be there for some reason. Definitely think he can do a job at club level though.

And I did say in my post that Moggy was a big loss - given the margin in the end, possibly the difference between winning and losing.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 12:50 am

kildarecat wrote:
rgb maybe accusing a player of been arrogant and full of himself when he couldn't be further from the truth.

As I keep telling you 1 plus 1 equals 2. I don't know Tom Corley from squat but Kildare tried 3 keepers last year and none were anything to write home about. All 3 had the same weakness as far as I'm concerned and they are weak under the high ball. All 3 let howlers in over the year. They are all great shot stoppers, but that is only one aspect of their game. I've always said that its a position we have been weak in since Christy Byrne retired.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:31 am

Corley has had ample opportunities to prove he's the best goalkeeper in Kildare and he's never totally convinced. As Stonecold says, he is weak under the dropping ball. He made a very bad error against Donegal in the League last season which cost us a goal if my memory is correct.

He also has a bad habit of taking an age over his kickouts - cost us big time in '09 against Dublin and Tyrone (particularly the Leinster Final in '09 when we had the extra man yet he persisted in driving the ball long to an already crowded midfield instead of going short to Mikey Conway who was our free man).

Shorty and Paul Flood both have their weaknesses too. For me, both Connolly of Larries and Eyres of Clane are better long term prospects between the sticks but I'll trust Christy Byrne's and McGeeney's judgement. Both know a lot more about what makes a good inter-county goalkeeper than I do.
Back to top Go down
wingback
Senior
Senior

Location : Two Mile House and Poulaphouca, Blacktrench, Cutbush and Boolea

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:41 am

Stonecold wrote:
kildarecat wrote:

As I keep telling you 1 plus 1 equals 2. I don't know Tom Corley from squat but Kildare tried 3 keepers last year and none were anything to write home about. All 3 had the same weakness as far as I'm concerned and they are weak under the high ball. All 3 let howlers in over the year. They are all great shot stoppers, but that is only one aspect of their game. I've always said that its a position we have been weak in since Christy Byrne retired.

Maybe dermot early could do a job for us in goals Smile I heard he is decent under a high ball
Back to top Go down
Oneill
Junior A
Junior A
Oneill

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:57 am

kickingking wrote:
Corley has had ample opportunities to prove he's the best goalkeeper in Kildare and he's never totally convinced. As Stonecold says, he is weak under the dropping ball. He made a very bad error against Donegal in the League last season which cost us a goal if my memory is correct.

He also has a bad habit of taking an age over his kickouts - cost us big time in '09 against Dublin and Tyrone (particularly the Leinster Final in '09 when we had the extra man yet he persisted in driving the ball long to an already crowded midfield instead of going short to Mikey Conway who was our free man).

Shorty and Paul Flood both have their weaknesses too. For me, both Connolly of Larries and Eyres of Clane are better long term prospects between the sticks but I'll trust Christy Byrne's and McGeeney's judgement. Both know a lot more about what makes a good inter-county goalkeeper than I do.

I'd add young Donellan from maynooth to that list as well..
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:08 am

Is Tom Corley the new Kevin O'Neill that people will use to bash McGeeney over.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:17 am

Oneill wrote:
kickingking wrote:

I'd add young Donellan from maynooth to that list as well..
also shane connolly
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 6:20 am

From all the Kildare matches this year and the last couple of years I don't think Corley's the best man to be in goals for Kildare. I would rate McCormack better than him, I think he gets a hard time because of his height but I'd pick him out of the 3 goalkeepers we tried this year. I agree that Shane Connolly from Larries deserves a chance though. Don't know much about the other ones mentioned here.
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 6:27 am

the athy keeper seemed to have a good kickouts, he wasn`t slow with his kick outs and seems to be commanding also kept his full back line on there toes its def a position we will need to improve in for next year
Back to top Go down
realmoore
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 7:43 am

[quote="Ogie"]I didn't think it was a penalty and what's more, not one Moorefield player looked for it - but there were a couple of other incidents

[img][/img]Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 21f56611

Hate to argue with you ogie but this might suggest otherwise, i suppose its not conclusive.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 7:52 am

did look like penalty from stand on sunday could had shout other one roly was foul later in frist half, the ref gave moorefield notting in frist 20 minutes of match , on corley i seen his last 6 matches u could fault him once in those games ,
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 8:35 pm

[quote="realmoore"]
Ogie wrote:
I didn't think it was a penalty and what's more, not one Moorefield player looked for it - but there were a couple of other incidents

[img][/img]Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 21f56611

Hate to argue with you ogie but this might suggest otherwise, i suppose its not conclusive.

No worries realmoore, you wouldn't be the first to argue with me! I was actually think of the earlier one that I'd say fone is talking about... I'd forgotten about that one - hard to tell from the pic but it's a possible alright. The question is, is Roly falling as a result of a legal tackle, an illegal tackle or of his own volition as he gets some contact - there's a Laois player's legs between his legs so there might have been a trip... impossible to predict if refs give those or not, more half-rules as Geezer says... anyway, it is more a potential penalty than the one early on coming in from the other side that I was thinking of - supporters went ape but players didn't - supporters were going ape cos they weren't getting a thing though, so it was understandable
Back to top Go down
realmoore
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 1:24 am

Yeah like i said its not conclusive, ah supporters will always shout for anything for their team.

Anyway no point harping on about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Moorefield v Portlaoise
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next