Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Moorefield v Portlaoise

Go down 
+30
FearBan
CountyChampions10
Mooreman
ElGuerrouj
GaaHead
Oneill
wingback
kickingking
rgb
Stonecold
Yellow Pearl
paddypower
sillycow
The Oracle
johnsmyth
Lily8
walsheman
kildarecat
Loads of Pints
Sam1928
backatlast
Ogie
Big Full Back
nowornever
Rex
abl
centreback
realmoore
Jimmy winning matches
peile
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 3:46 am

If rumours are to be believed, Moores enjoyed their County Final success a little too much....

Considering they have won the Dermot Bourke Cup a number of times in recent years, shouldn't they be looking beyond the County at this stage?????

Very disappointed in the County Champions.... Portlaoise had no centre-field and won because they were potent and offered more of a threat going forward...

Maybe Moorefield aren't as great as they think they are???????????????????????
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 4:11 am

A bit harsh to say the least. They are county champions fair and square. I don't think for one minute Moorefield think "there great". Sometimes you need a rub of the green and they didn't get it on Sunday. Lets face it, if the county board could structure things correct, they should have had two weeks between the final and last Sun. If the county final was a draw, the replay would have been played on fri night in Athy. This is not an excuse but its typical what goes on in the county... They are entitled to celebrate their victory but I don't think the celebrations went on for a week... Moorefield haven't being in a Leinster Club match for 3 years but Portlaoise almost went the whole way last year.
Back to top Go down
ElGuerrouj
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 4:36 am

Will ya stop GaaHead, not Moorefield's fault they had to play 6 weeks in a row and play Leinster a week after winning their county title!! That would take it's toll on any team. I don't know how hectic Portlaoise's run up to the match was, but can't imagine it was anything like that! They were well entitled to celebrate their win too!

Jesus, I moan a lot but giving out about Moorefield losing to a team with a pedigree like Portlaoise as if they have let Kildare people down or something is a bit much!
Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 5:06 am

Portlaoise played the same amount and had to deal with a suicide as well....

What I was trying to raise was, shouldn't Moorefield be looking beyond Kildare at this point and aiming to win Leinster and possibly an All-Ireland???????????

As far as I can see, they were just happy to beat Sarsfields....
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 7:28 am

GaaHead wrote:
Portlaoise played the same amount and had to deal with a suicide as well....

What I was trying to raise was, shouldn't Moorefield be looking beyond Kildare at this point and aiming to win Leinster and possibly an All-Ireland???????????

As far as I can see, they were just happy to beat Sarsfields....
thought they were unlucky sunday?????thats what i thought i heard anyway and didnt lye down for a second,maybe they just wernt good enuf
Back to top Go down
Mooreman
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 8:04 am

GaaHead wrote:
If rumours are to be believed, Moores enjoyed their County Final success a little too much....

Considering they have won the Dermot Bourke Cup a number of times in recent years, shouldn't they be looking beyond the County at this stage?????

Very disappointed in the County Champions.... Portlaoise had no centre-field and won because they were potent and offered more of a threat going forward...

Are you saying that we cleaned out Portlaoise at midfield because they were poor and nothing to do with ours being outstanding?
Anybody that was at the game, which you obv werent, will tell you how a combination of poor play in the first half, disgraceful refereeing and overall playing a better team was the beating of Moorefield. Not lack of effort or endevour.
How the hell can any club look beyond winning their respective county final, thats a statement from a man who hasn't had any playing experience.

Our lads played and trained hard all year to win that final, yes they celebrated for a day or two. Thats has nothing to do with you or anybody else!
We don't think we're anything great, we just work hard to be the best we can be on any given day.

Maybe your not the expert you think you are????????????????????
Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 10:01 am

where did I say anything about being an expert?????

was at the game. watched it on video. Have played too.

My point was that if Moorefield are serious about being a good team, they shouldn't be celebrating a county final success until Wednesday, with the first round of Leinster on the following Sunday. The fact that they only had a week, is down to the County Board, but look at what was achieved in 2006. They should be looking to build on that.

Of course you can look beyond your county final - your goals at the start of the year as one of the top clubs in Kildare, should be a crack at Leinster. Portlaoise set that target every year.

Portlaoise have been poor at centrefield for years, yet despite the top class display of the Moorefield lads, it wasn't turned into scores. That was down to luck and some odd referee decisions, but I think both sides were evenly matched....

I don't doubt those guys trained hard - but why settle for a county title....

Aim high.....

The 2006 Moorefield team set a standard for all other Kildare clubs to follow and sadly they haven't. I think that is a sad indictment on Kildare clubs...
Back to top Go down
CountyChampions10
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 10:32 am

I don't know where some people get their information from, Moorefield celebrated until closing time Monday night and were back training Tuesday evening.
As Jack Sheedy said, it was important to celebrate such a win...it's not everyday you beat your rivals in such fashion in a county final. But don't think for a second that those lads were content with beating the Sash...they had their eye on the bigger prize and in fairness could've bet portlaoise Sunday.
County board need to sort themselves out this year and put a proper plan into place regarding the championshhip being run off smoothly, giving every team a fair crack at it. To me, they send out a message that they have little faith in how far the Kildare team will progress as they don't plan with the idea that Kildare will be reaching All Ireland stages.
Back to top Go down
paddypower
Junior A
Junior A
paddypower

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 7:19 pm

GaaHead wrote:
they shouldn't be celebrating a county final success until Wednesday...

Where to hell did you hear that one GaaHead?? Moorefield rightly so celebrated until Closing time on Monday night and I'm telling there were a lot of gutted lads in that dressing room on Sunday afternoon! So please dont come on here with false information.

I also can't understand how a Kildare Club team can look beyond their own country title before the start of the season. It's bloody very hard to win Kildare titles and lets hope that continues because its good for the game...
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 8:44 pm

Big Full Back wrote:
Lets face it, if the county board could structure things correct, they should have had two weeks between the final and last Sun. If the county final was a draw, the replay would have been played on fri night in Athy. This is not an excuse but its typical what goes on in the county... .

What are you talking about? Laois were out of the championship 6 weeks (at least) before Kildare and only played their county final on the same day as Kildare. Credit where its due, I think the county board did a good job at playing the championship off as well as they did.

Some people just have to moan about something....anything...
Back to top Go down
Mooreman
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 9:27 pm

Its not Moorefield people on here complaining about naything Marcus, it was a brainless comment by some clown that feels celebrations are not deserved after winning a county championship. Anybody involved in football realises what an enormous achievement it is to win one. Moorefield loss on SUnday was nothing to do with our celebrations.

It was only a few weeks ago you were on here telling anybody that would listen to you " perhaps people forget what Sarsfields did to Moorefield the last time they played".

Its obvious your Kildare bandwagon ticket has now expired and your back on the Portlaoise hobby horse. Good luck to Portlaoise, they were the better team on the day. Nothing more, and nothing less.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Moorefield hadn't won a county title for three years and they made no bones about the fact they were going to celebrate it. They won the county final by two points but were eight points the better team.

Portlaoise were Leinster champions last year. So I think it's fair to say that Moorefield, given how they dominated the second half, are actually very good, however good they think they are. In fact they showed themselves to be better than I was giving them credit for.

And don't make the mistake of writing the performance off when Kilmacud beat Portlaoise (a clash of two All-Ireland favourites)... Zach Tuohy's absence for Portlaoise will play a big role in that.
Back to top Go down
TheBigFullForward
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Mooreman wrote:
Good luck to Portlaoise, they were the better team on the day. Nothing more, and nothing less.

That's the long and the short of it.

Moorefield simply didn't have forwards of the quality of Portlaoise. Moorefield gave away two goals, the second in particular was a bad one to give away, and never really looked like they would get one themselves apart from a couple of half chances near the end. If Alan Smith had been born at the other end of Newbridge, this Moorefield team would probably challenge for All-Ireland's but until they unearth there own Smithy, and I don't really see anything that will be outstanding any time soon on their underage teams, i can't see them living with the Portlaoise's and Kilmacud's of this world.
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 11:20 pm

Mooreman wrote:

It was only a few weeks ago you were on here telling anybody that would listen to you " perhaps people forget what Sarsfields did to Moorefield the last time they played".

Its obvious your Kildare bandwagon ticket has now expired and your back on the Portlaoise hobby horse. Good luck to Portlaoise, they were the better team on the day. Nothing more, and nothing less.

I presume your not still talking about me here Mooreman or else you have mistaken identity cause I never said anything remotely like that....
Back to top Go down
wingback
Senior
Senior

Location : Two Mile House and Poulaphouca, Blacktrench, Cutbush and Boolea

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 11:21 pm

TheBigFullForward wrote:
Mooreman wrote:
Good luck to Portlaoise, they were the better team on the day. Nothing more, and nothing less.

That's the long and the short of it.

Moorefield simply didn't have forwards of the quality of Portlaoise. Moorefield gave away two goals, the second in particular was a bad one to give away, and never really looked like they would get one themselves apart from a couple of half chances near the end. If Alan Smith had been born at the other end of Newbridge, this Moorefield team would probably challenge for All-Ireland's but until they unearth there own Smithy, and I don't really see anything that will be outstanding any time soon on their underage teams, i can't see them living with the Portlaoise's and Kilmacud's of this world.

Smith was born and lived for years down the 'Moorefield end' of the town...
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 11:22 pm

Marcus Laois might have only played their Championship Final on the same day as Kildare, but don't forget the Laois county board could afford to give a two week break inbetween games, if my memory serves me Moorefield were out 7 of the last nine weeks playing?, don't forget they also played the league final against the Larries within that period, the only two week break they were afforded was after their semi final win.

Maybe GaaHead is a little bit detached from what a Senior Championship win over Sarsfields means to both Moorefield players and supporters especially when they dogged us in the semi final in 2008, but I think calling GaaHead a clown is a little much he only gave an opinion about something he probably felt genuine about, the Club Championship is a great Competition, but I have to agree with most that your own county championship has to be your main focus when your season begins, to me the club championship is a possible bonus at the end if you're fortunate to bag your own championship.

As for these so called celebrations, what constitutes OTT celebrations??, yes they partied till closing time Monday, good chance Portlaoise did so too? [stand to be corrected on that], back training on Tuesday, how long does it take for these young men to shake a few pints out of their systems?, basically they had Tuesday, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat right up to 3 O Clock on Sunday to shake off a few pints, they were hardly drinking Poteen from the neck!!!, considering they have been on the go from say February right into the middle of October they're hardly lacking in physical fitness, even though for some it would be forgiveable if a few showed a little mental fatigue after such a long hard slog, and don't forget of course, for many who were on their senior panel the under 21 has just got into swing, never ending it seems?..
Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior
midfieldmaestro

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 11:47 pm

Leinster club championship is a very hight standard of football. Moorefield played out of their skins in 06 to win it with a few very tough games. No shame at all in losing to Portlaoise.

On a positive note for some of Moorefield players it will give them a chance to train and play with Kildare in the league. In 06 the leinster and All Irelands went on into Feb meaning the players couldn't train fully with the county and had to miss quite abit of the league. Flynn especially I think could do with a break now.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 12:59 am

If you cant celebrate winning your co championship then theres something wrong. Playing in the Leinster club championship is a bonus after winning your own championship. At the start of the championship every team try's there best to win and are thinking of nothing else. Fair play to Moorefield they were the best team this year and were unlucky against Portlaoise.
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 5:42 am

TheBigFullForward wrote:

i would disagree with this big14. moorefield did out score portlaoise 14scores to 13 also they were missing 2 of there best players and captain in ross glavin and james lonergan and i said it before the game that james would be a huge loss, if he was playing i could see him taking a good notch out of the 1-3 craig rodgers scored
Back to top Go down
HoA
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: not so sure   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 7:48 pm

GaaHead wrote:

i completly disagree GaaHead, i know for certain from talking to Daryl Flynn and Ross Glavin that they had huge focus on doing extremely well in Leinster long before the senior county final, call it big headed of them for doing this but im am in no doubt quietly this year Moorefields objective was a leinster championship at least.Regardless of how much anyone likes or dislikes this bunch of players, they have grown up being winners from u/8 to senior so i have no doubt they had long term objectives for the year just like they do every year.my opiniuon is they where hugely hindered by Kildares success and the county boards decision to run the championship as a blitz, the county final took so much out of them after beating their arch enemies that they needed the extra week to prepare for the Leinster campaign just like Ballymore have had afforded to them. i think that if Kildare clubs are to do well in Leinster and further and there is continued success of the county team , i feel the only way forward is to nominate a team to compete in Leinster, this would also mean the championships would also not have to be rushed like this year...

Also on Tom Corley,,, from attending 27 championship matches this year, HE is the best we have currently available... from knowing him and Shorty pensonally , Shorty does not come close to Corley in terms of commanding the square and keeping your defence unit organised. we all know that Shorty does not work as keeper due to his lack of height, we all know that the controversy over the square ball goal against Down would not have happened if Shorty had of been bigger and done what everyone was thinking, left Coulter lying on the ground unable to resume the game cause Shorty left his knees in his back, whether it be a square ball or not, Coulter should of been let know only 1 person dared go for a ball in that small square.. both are great shot stoppers but i think because he has got the height advantage and huge experience, remember Shorty was a corner forward and only turned into a keeper at 18, while Tom has been number one for Kildare at all grades and even professionally in soccer, we have to persist with Corley to get further success with the county team in the instant future... The big problem i feel with Corley is concentration, he has all the natural abilities to be the best, surely gettin his concertration right is something that Geezer can get perfected...
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 pm

i hate this excuse of moorefield playing so many games in so many weeks its total rubbish it was like kildare this year against meath when we were 1-3 to 0-0 the commentators were saying kildare are burnt out after playing 6 weeks on the trot and when kildare won they changed there tune altogether saying kildare had great momentum having played 6 weeks in a row.

moorefield had great momentum going into the leinster and to say the county final took so much out of them is ridiculous, remember portlaoise also played there county final the week before too.
imho the reason moorefield lost was the loses of ross glavin james lonergan and mcgrogan against a real quality team you need all your best players on the field
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moorefield v Portlaoise   Moorefield v Portlaoise - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Moorefield v Portlaoise
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4