Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread

Go down 
+81
topcat
Oneill
Lilly07
daracill
niallos
abl
clonmullin
Frankel
johnsmyth
Misneach
lilywhite dancer
whitetop
Admin3
Derfil
lilly-exile
Ohtoohtobe
unlaoised
Yellow Pearl
GaaHead
kartman
MD
jim
Square Ball
tomoneillandhissisteranne
smokey
lastline
Flamingo
The Giant
snowman
midfieldmaestro
centreback
Always_White
KildareFan96
KILL BILL
Loads of Pints
tpos
tomcruise
shoutitout
TheBigFullForward
parcel
jj
analysis
howdoyoudo
White Bridge
steviegenius
FearBan
Kaiser Sóze
bob12
The Oracle
losthope
carburyman
Fear An Geata
overthebar
Big Full Back
faithfullily
ChopperDalton
hawker
learmus
bloodsub
SamMaguire
Sam1928
stanley
if_in_doubt
kickingking
Ogie
naked-lilly
flourman
Taibi
doubleagent
Chout34
Stonecold
peile
lilypremier
rgb
Son of Sarsfields
Lily8
Jimmy winning matches
Come on the Boys in Blue
Rex
walsheman
85 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
AuthorMessage
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 3:46 pm

carburyman wrote:
Peile Wicklow wont be a walk in the park,we all thaugh we would win up in louth,look what happened.We all thaught in 2008 we would beath wicklow,look what happened.
So as one poster said championship is a different ball game.
Will see over the coming weeks how training goes with kildare,and come the 22 may if we play the we did against louth, wicklow will beat us.Wicklow are scoring on avr 1.17 per game..

Carburyman sometimes I wish I was more like you, no sense of sarcasm or cynisim. I know Wicklow will be no walk in the park.
Back to top Go down
ChopperDalton
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 7:49 am

Lots of media coverage of the teams in Div 1 compared to Div 2. If you want to know how the dubs play you could have 7 videos of their games from the O Byrne cup and League so far this year. Would we have been able to have played Dowling and Mollick against Down, Kerry and Dublin?
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 10:05 am

Does anyone know if the lads will be able to play with there clubs this weekend I know someone said they can only play championship but that was with the old chairman did anyone hear any different?
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 10:33 am

Ogie, I see where you are coming from, however it is still a fact that most Championships are won by counties playing in the top tier, and McGeeney had said at the outset that promotion was a priority, and I think he was more likely to try out O'Sullivan and Fogarty (barring the injury) because our league status was pretty much decided anyway.

I know many wont agree with the following and I pray to god I'm wrong but I have a feeling that 2011 is going to somewhat of a transitional and development year, after the outstanding year we had in 2010 I just feel that with expectations, injuries, a dip in form in some areas etc I am not expecting us to reach the heights of 2010 again this year and think 2012 will be our real glory year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 10:33 am

steviegenius wrote:
Does anyone know if the lads will be able to play with there clubs this weekend I know someone said they can only play championship but that was with the old chairman did anyone hear any different?

What do you mean that was with the old chairman?
It was agreed at committee level with the clubs also. The chairman whilst being the highest officer on the board has only one vote like everyone else.
Anything already agreed upon cannot (should not) be undone.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 2:33 pm

fionnmccool this is Kildare Gaa we are talking about and saying (anything already agreed upon cannot and should not be undone) I'll wait and see what happens
Back to top Go down
Square Ball
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 3:02 pm

Was great to win against sligo, what was most pleasing was we did not settle for a draw pushed on got winner. tackling improved kicking still work to do. would love to see a training session is it open to the public. still a little worried about the first 15 that we have got to trust the managers, good to see Conor Brophy get a run could be cover for the midfield, I Did get accused of norther ism when mentioned Brophy would love to see Tommy Moolick given a chance wing back. well done lads
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 3:50 pm

Square Ball wrote:
Was great to win against sligo, what was most pleasing was we did not settle for a draw pushed on got winner. tackling improved kicking still work to do. would love to see a training session is it open to the public. still a little worried about the first 15 that we have got to trust the managers, good to see Conor Brophy get a run could be cover for the midfield, I Did get accused of norther ism when mentioned Brophy would love to see Tommy Moolick given a chance wing back. well done lads

How do you think Brophy done in his 7 minutes on Sunday?
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 5:01 pm

fionnmccool wrote:

How do you think Brophy done in his 7 minutes on Sunday?

I thought he looked very raw and over anxious to impress. He badly misjudged at least 3 kickouts by racing under them. However, he did get on the ball a number of times during that short spell where he laid it off by way of a short hand passes. I wouldn't expect him to feature for the rest of the year and think it will be O'Byrne Cup next year before we get a proper look at him. But then again Peter Kelly surprised a lot of people last year.
Back to top Go down
Square Ball
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 6:25 pm

To be fair he did run under 3 balls was trying to attack settled into game after them, supported the forwards well and supplied the ball for them to score maybe one or two other players may start doing this. Made more impact than his club mate in Tyrone or he would got some game time on Sunday
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Square Ball wrote:
To be fair he did run under 3 balls was trying to attack settled into game after them, supported the forwards well and supplied the ball for them to score maybe one or two other players may start doing this. Made more impact than his club mate in Tyrone or he would got some game time on Sunday

Why is Sully getting stick for his cameo up in Dungannon? I thought he did alright. At least he had a go and took on a few Tyrone defenders. He was also unlucky with one shot that came off the post. He made a greater contribution in his few minutes on the field than some of the more established members of the panel who were on the pitch for the full game.

Brophy showed plenty of enthusiasm when he came on last Sunday which was good to see. He was understandably nervous but having seen him play for NUIM, he definitely has something to offer. I remember when Rob Kelly first appeared against Armagh in the league a few years ago and he was a bag of nerves. As a result, he had an absolute nightmare. You can't judge a player until you have seen them a few times. These lads on the fringe of the panel need to be given time. Peter Kelly didn't set the world alight against Meath in Navan last year from what I remember. He came on as a sub and was replaced again himself, if I remember correctly.
Back to top Go down
ChopperDalton
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 7:42 am

Brophy showed plenty of enthusiasm when he came on last Sunday which was good to see. He was understandably nervous but having seen him play for NUIM, he definitely has something to offer. I remember when Rob Kelly first appeared against Armagh in the league a few years ago and he was a bag of nerves.

KickingKing you took the words out of my mouth!! I was going to use the same example, rob kelly was useless when he first started off for Kildare but he got progressively better the more games he got. Now he is contention for a starting spot. Brophy is a real talent, wouldnt be surprised if he features more as the year goes on.
Back to top Go down
Square Ball
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 8:00 am

Please dont take my comment to be against Mark O'Sullivan the question was how come this player was given only 15mins in Tyrone on a weekend he had a lot going on in his own life and gave a big commitment to Kildare GAA not be giving another chance last Sunday or in any other game
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 9:41 am

I think it's important to understand that we see these guys during games, the management see them at training and if there's any break at all between games they tend to pick their teams on what happens in Hawkfield. It's like the whole Kevin O'Neill debate that used to go on even though he was not playing well enough to make the team. Conor Brophy did okay the last day. Podge Fogarty was doing so well in training he was going to start on Sunday. Rob Kelly came on a ton for being involved... I remember it was really touch and go in '08 if he would make the cut - he ended up scoring almost a point a game in the championship from 15-20 minutes substitute cameos, including in the Leinster final. Hugh Lynch is another who looked a dismal failure on a number of league occasions, taken off in the first half in one game and never finishing a game he started. He was outstanding against Meath in teh championship last year and held his own against Down. If the boys are doing the business, they'll get the chance.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:50 am

Interesting to see the rise of the young Fogarty. From Junior to Senior starter in the space of a couple of weeks bar an injury. He must have been in serious form in training to move to the top of the starting queue. Almost Peter Kelly like and another pointer to the importance of the Junior panel. It's a pity we did not see him play.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 11:04 am

Rex wrote:
Interesting to see the rise of the young Fogarty. From Junior to Senior starter in the space of a couple of weeks bar an injury. He must have been in serious form in training to move to the top of the starting queue. Almost Peter Kelly like and another pointer to the importance of the Junior panel. It's a pity we did not see him play.

After returning from the u21 set up.Fogarty trained and played 2 challenge games with the Junior Panel.
He got 30 minutes against Carlow where he scored 4 points from play, he then started the next game against Offaly where he scored 8 points from play.
8 points from play at any level is a excellent. Some players excel with good players around him.

He and fionn dowling didnt set the world alight in the u21's. Both are pushing for starting positions in 6 weeks time.

I also think that Darroch Mullhall would be a huge addition to the Panel. He has been flying with the Juniors also and has been on fire for Athy in
the opening rounds of the League. I would say is only a matter of time before he gets a chance also.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 11:12 am

Good stuff fionn, I had read heard about the 8 points he got against Offaly and as you said at any level thats a fine days work. Good to hear about Mullhall, he was one of the players I had tipped to make a move this year.
Back to top Go down
rgb
All-Star
All-Star
rgb

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 11:26 am

We will have to be patient with these young players, lads. We are not talking about ready-made senior inter-county championship first 15 players here.

Give them time to adjust (and by time, I don't mean the next 5 weeks before the Wicklow match).
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 11:35 am

While Kildare have firmly established themselves as one of the game’s market leaders over the last three years under Kieran McGeeney, the Armagh man’s reign has yet to yield the most tangible indicator of success – silverware.
“We’re four years with this management and we have nothing to show for it. You can’t get any clearer that that."
Johnny Doyle
McGeeney has undoubtedly brought some colour to the Lilywhites’ cheeks, guiding them to successive All-Ireland quarter-final appearances in 2008 and ‘09 before they came within Down midfielder Kalum King’s finger tip of a place in the final last summer.
However, as veteran forward Johnny Doyle points out, the last significant trophy Kildare won was the Leinster Championship in 2000. In the intervening ten years, Doyle has been named a GAA All Star (2010) and has twice topped the scoring charts in the All-Ireland Championship (2008 and 2010), but further team honours have eluded him.
It’s all well and good winning admirers, Doyle says, but he is adamant that, ultimately, McGeeney’s reign and this current Kildare crop will be judged more clinically.
“That’s what you are judged on regardless of the football you play,” says Doyle. “Every team in the country goes out and will judge their year on what they have to show for it.
“We’re four years with this management and we have nothing to show for it. You can’t get any clearer than that.
“It’s going to be tough again. You try to win every competition that you are involved in. Our next competition is the Leinster championship. We’re no different than any other team. That’s your goal, to win a Leinster Championship.
“We’ll stand here at the end of the year and we’ll be judged on what we have to show for it and if we have nothing to show for it, it’s not a good year. It’s plain and simple.”
Kildare didn’t have as much as a tin hat to show for last year’s toils. It was a curious season, bookended by an inglorious Leinster Championship defeat to Louth and an agoinising All-Ireland semi-final defeat to Down.
Is that where Kildare are at now, one of the top four teams in the country? Doyle believes they got where they did on merit last year, but stresses that it would be unwise to assume that they will be back there again in 2011.
“It’s hard to know. You get to an All-Ireland semi final on merit. Everyone has their own opinion. We’d like to think we’re as good as any team on our day, if we perform to our ability," he adds.
“You can do all the training we want but it comes to a stage where you have to perform. You can be up and down with that, our Championship last year was a bit like that. We performed well some days and the days we didn’t we just got over teams.
“It’s funny the way people assume you’ll get back and go one better this year. You would love to be in that situation. Every other county in the country looks the same and there can only be four in a semi final.”
Kildare looked anything but one of the top teams in the country in their Round 6 Allianz Football League game against Tyrone, losing by 0-13 to 0-5 and incurring the wrath of the manager, who described his forwards’ performance as ‘pathetic’.
“In fairness to Geezer he calls a spade a spade and if you don’t agree with him you can argue you with him, there were no arguments, he called it as it was,” says Doyle.
“It was just one of those days you like to forget. It happens to every team I suppose. The game seemed to just snowball away from us. No matter what you did or tried to do you just couldn’t… I find it hard to explain. It happens to every team. It’s just hard to explain.
“You can analyse it until the cows come home. At the end of the day you just draw a line in the sand and keep going.”
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Last 6 years 10 counties have won championship silverware be it provincial or all-ireland.

4 of those 10 counties are in Connacht each winning their provincial.

Oustide of Connacht only 6 counties have won any type of championship silverware in the last 6 years. (1 new county a year wins a trophy out of 4 being availiable)

That is not good for all the rest of us!!!!!

The likes of ourselves, Laois, Donegal, Derry, Down etc should be claiming more provincials at least.

Munster and Connacht are completely flawed provinces and its hard to compare them with Ulster and Leinster.

I dont know what Im trying to say??????
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Sam don't look at your avatar when you're writing a post....then you'll be able to say what you mean.

I find it difficult to read your posts of late Very Happy
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 3:45 pm

Sam, if you dont know what your trying to say what the fcuk chance have the rest of us making sense of your last thread............................... fairly confusing statements for sure, give it another go and see what comes to mind......!!! any panadol, what at brain teaser...... confused
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Sam1928 wrote:
Last 6 years 10 counties have won championship silverware be it provincial or all-ireland.

4 of those 10 counties are in Connacht each winning their provincial.

Oustide of Connacht only 6 counties have won any type of championship silverware in the last 6 years. (1 new county a year wins a trophy out of 4 being availiable)

That is not good for all the rest of us!!!!!

The likes of ourselves, Laois, Donegal, Derry, Down etc should be claiming more provincials at least.

Munster and Connacht are completely flawed provinces and its hard to compare them with Ulster and Leinster.

I dont know what Im trying to say??????

What you're saying is that expectations should be more realistic in a county with no tradition of winning championship silverware... for some reason now Sam, I'm thinking that I need to hang up my coat.................
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 12:25 pm

Sam the one point that I take out of your post is that it is very hard to win any title. The experience that a team gets from winning a title puts them in the best position to win that title again the following year. If Kildare were to go and win a title this year, AI or Leinster, they would be very hard stop in retaining that title.
The hard thing to do is win the first one.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 1:12 pm

Yeah thats it lads. I think the expectations on counties like ourselves may be too high plus its obvious how bloody hard it is to win any type of silverware.

Of course you should always aim to win trophies but should the likes of Kildare be judged as failures for not winning All-Irelands and to a greater extent Leinster championships?

2 Leinsters in 50 odd years means we are a county not used to winning so is the pressure and expectation on the team each year too high??

Just putting it out there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread   Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread - Page 35 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Allianz NFL Div 2 Fixtures and Results 2011 - Official Thread
Page 35 of 36Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36  Next