Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

McGeeney & County Board close to deal.

Go down 
+33
Flamingo
archie
Ohtoohtobe
lastline
Come on the Boys in Blue
parcel
egocentric
tomcruise
nuxer
shortgrass
murof
Ogie
flourman
KILL BILL
losthope
kelf
kickingking
jim
steviegenius
Botch
Loads of Pints
BelieveToAchieve
Stonecold
swingfly
ripvanwinkle
topcat
lillyboy
Taibi
SeeTheStars
overthebar
Athyman
Bad News Baba
Jimmy winning matches
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 6:36 pm

afineyoung man your last line sums it up perfectly, well said.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 7:50 pm

kickingking wrote:
umpireonditch wrote:
I hope McGeeney stays on for at least 2 or 3 more years.

As a Liverpool fan the words of a journalist who's name i've long forgotten haunts me to this day. He said Liverpool fans would not realise how good they had it with Rafa Benitez until he was gone. How true that has proved. I have a feeling that thoose knocking Geezer will be feeling that way when ever he does go again and we are back to loosing to Offaly In Newbridge in a 1st round qualifier.

While I would be of the opinion that maybe the time is right for a change, I agree that if we are to retain McGeeney it should be for 2 or 3 years. That probably sounds like the most paradoxical statement ever made but I think there is some logic behind it.

I don't think anyone would dispute that things went stale this year. The problem is that once that decline sets in, it can be very hard to arrest it. I think we need a change both in terms of personnel and approach in order to at least remain around the level that we're at. That will take time and it's not realistic to expect that to be achieved in one year. We need to look at 2013 as an opportunity to blood a number of younger players and let them gain experience. There'll likely be a few bumps along the road but that's what happens when you're experimenting and developing a new team. We'll be the better for it this time next year.

My fear is that this is just going to become a case of "one last hurrah." If that's the case then we'll be all sat here this time next year arguing the exact same points and there'll be a handful of young lads another year behind in their development. I hope I am wrong but I would not be optimistic if it's just a case of McGeeney seeing out his final year and maybe thinking about what managers might be available next year rather than now.

But there is only one year left on the agreed term. Who's to say if it's a last hurrah or not? The term is there. All that was being discussed was whether Geezer felt he wanted to go on, or felt he still had the backing to go on. After that, it was budget and a few other things that agreement would be reached on. It'll be next year when there'll be discussions about two or three years, if the desire for such a discussion exists.
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Players are 100% with Geezer on staying on with a few changes to the backroom team.
And if Geezer does stay,which im sure he will as he believes in this group of players.and believes that they can and will win something big,he will be here for a while as the Dublin Job will have been taken,and were no fools dublin would take him
Back to top Go down
shortgrass
Senior
Senior
shortgrass

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:48 pm

I knew he was in the sights of the Down County Board, didn't realise he was in the frame for the Dublin job too...
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Down? - has "wee James" departed?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Is the down position vacant?
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 10:02 pm

More interest from the dublin camp i would say
Back to top Go down
shortgrass
Senior
Senior
shortgrass

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Nope, and form my sources he won't step down unless pushed.. Apparently after the defeat v Mayo he went for a long holiday (3 weeks) and there was movement at CB level against him, with that movement suggesting McGeeney & Mickey Linden.. I heard this about 3 weeks ago, but nothing since except that James will not step down even and as far as I know is seeking another term... thats all I know really
Back to top Go down
ripvanwinkle
Senior
Senior
ripvanwinkle

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 10:46 pm

jesus they couldnt give mcgeeney the dublin job, hed have vodafone bankrupt after a few years according to a few plonkers on here. Anyway on a serious note i know for a fact hed like to stay on for more than one year as long as hed wanted.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 12:40 am

Well the players certainly want him - fact, and I would be happy for a longer stint for him too, and to finish, what was it they said about the begrudgers again?
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 12:59 am

KILL BILL wrote:
Well the players certainly want him - fact, and I would be happy for a longer stint for him too, and to finish, what was it they said about the begrudgers again?
Come on lads its a forum and that means you will have to read post with opinions that you dont agree with or like. Begrudgers are entitled to thier viewpoint as well. Personally I think threads are more interesting when when there is disagreement on players, managers, teams and tactics. Sometimes it feels a bit like an old boys club with posters tripping over each other to latch on to some poster who has had a go at people who dared to question the manager. He is a fine manager and I would say an honourable man but he is not above criticism from people who pay to support his team.
ps I'm delighted he is staying on for another year.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 1:16 am

For the record murof I have been to every Kildare match this year, OB cup to Cork hammering, and I am well aware of the many mistakes made on the sideline this year, and would not attempt to hide from them (neither would McGeeney for that matter), he is certainly not above critisism but on the bigger picture he has dragged Kildare out of the gutter and people blaming him for issues ranging from the financial situation to global warming is a bit much, there has been some very valid opinions totally opposite to mine which I respect however others have already decided on Jason Ryan, Pat Gilroy etc. which is just drivel.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 2:11 am

I wasn't having a go at you personally Kill Bill and I admire your attendance record which is a bit better than mine. The posters who blamed the manager for the financial woes were answered in the best possibe way by producing figures from the CB. Anyone looking for a new manager who probably is not interested in the job, Gilroy, are just being silly and people shouldn't over react to them. I tend to ignore silly comments as a rule, there are enough good posters here to keep this forum informative and enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 2:26 am

lads it was me who mentioned Gilroy if my memeory serves me correct and mention is all i did. if you go back and read the post it stated "IF" geezer was to go who might be possible candidates. i never sais i wanted or wished for someone like Gilroy. while on one side there is anti geezer and the other pro geezer everyone needs to meet somewhere around the middle and not be so head stroong on the topic one way aor the other. i personnally think we should keep geezer as long as possible. dont forget the most successfull manager of all time in english soccer was a game or two away from being sacked when he won an fa cup. the role then started and look how much he has won since. like i sais lads whichever side of the wall you are sometimes its best to look at things from both sides.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 8:54 pm

[quote="kickingking"]
umpireonditch wrote:
I hope McGeeney stays on for at least 2 or 3 more years.

As a Liverpool fan the words of a journalist who's name i've long forgotten haunts me to this day. He said Liverpool fans would not realise how good they had it with Rafa Benitez until he was gone. How true that has proved. .

Can't help laughing at this one. Benitez stumbled accross the CL in 95. But for a freak collapse by Milan in the second half, he would still be ridiculed at Anfield and not just by the rest of English football fans. He's admired more for shedding tears at the Hillsborough memorial than his football achievements. I'm an Arsenal supporter & even I've she'd a tear at that memorial.

I hope geezer will make the required adjustments and getthe show back on the road next year. If Paul Cribben is available it will be a huge help.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 10:46 pm

Laugh away, and this is not the place for it but Benitez has won two Spanish La ligas during the Galcticos period and a Uefa cup with Valencia, the FA cup, Champions league and Super cup with Liverpool. He won the Italian Cup and World Club championship with Inter. He was European manager of the year twice.
As for stumbling to a Champions league win your joking, but then you are an Arsenal fan who when it comes to Europe would give their left testicle to "stumble" to any Champions league win never mind a fifth European cup. As for aforementioned stumbling they beat Bayer Leverkusen, Juventus, Chelsea and then AC Milan.

I expect the these posts to be deleted soon enough but it needed to be said.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 11:01 pm

so your saying rafa is the tactical genius Kildare are missing? surely we couldnt afford him though?
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 11:15 pm

No offence lads , maybe i picked it up wrong??? But some posters say Geezer was been eyed up for the Dublin Job , he wouldnt get within a asses roar of the job to put it politely , and i dont think Gilroy would take the Kildare job either !!
As been clear stated by the media and by Gilroy , runs Dalkia and now he give time and commitment with his company and staff of 500 , this partly decided his tendure this time, and the facts are that he is well aware that Change in mindset and ideas from another dublingaa man is the way forward in Dublin , and to be honest we have enough people within our ranks more than capable of taken the job without going outside the county in regards to Football anyway , The Hurling job , Daly i would consider right as he has the experience , thats not to say we have not great hurling people , but experience is where we lack in this field, so our choices are limited , and he is considered the best person for the job , Daly has stated he needs to clear the decks and start afresh .

Back to topic as such , Either Geezer Needs makes some radically changes in tactic's style , play , personel on field and off field or its going to be predictiable as always , its just going to be the same old same old !! as it has been for the last 5 years , I wish him luck , but you can make a silk purse out of a old sow's ear , change is enevitable and the county has to bring in youth now or face many year been cuaght back at square one

Last edited by vodafone2012 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Lol good one Vodafone, that cheered me up no end..... get it off yer chest man!
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Stonecold wrote:

ehh ok scratch
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Loads of Pints wrote:
so your saying rafa is the tactical genius Kildare are missing? surely we couldnt afford him though?

Oh God no, not at all, I'm saying he has stumbled to win more European cups than Arsenal have in their entire history, in fact he has won the exact same number of European cups than the all the teams in London have for their total existence put together.

Plus I don't think he would work well with the County Board and club Delegates. His budget would be lacking to say the least.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 11:38 pm

vodafone2012 wrote:
Stonecold wrote:

ehh ok scratch

Shur its one big long dig at Kildare CB set-up & team management.... I thought it was funny. But anyway we hadn't a Joe McQuillen on our side Sad
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 12:32 am

Stonecold wrote:
vodafone2012 wrote:
Stonecold wrote:

ehh ok scratch

Shur its one big long dig at Kildare CB set-up & team management.... I thought it was funny. But anyway we hadn't a Joe McQuillen on our side Sad

Your entitled to your opinion , But i can assure you your wrong Shocked I fail to see where you can construe the contents of my comment as one big long dig at the KCB or KTM it was a opinion , if you feel its wrong debate it

But anyway we hadn't a Joe McQuillen on our side

And what has this got to do with the topic or have any revelance in reply to my comment scratch , i put this down to your ideal of the concept of debating

Let me put it to you !! your reply is one big long dig but what new with you , if a poster doesn't tow your political line there wrong your right !! Suspect sure condescension is your form of wit with everyone here , but i could use a more appropiate definition but i am sure you !! and others would take offence !!
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 12:47 am

Quote :
No offence lads , maybe i picked it up wrong??? But some posters say Geezer was been eyed up for the Dublin Job , he wouldnt get within a asses roar of the job to put it politely , and i dont think Gilroy would take the Kildare job either !!
And you know them facts because?? They are both shrewd business men.

Quote :
and to be honest we have enough people within our ranks more than capable of taken the job without going outside the county in regards to Football anyway
Unlike Kildare

Quote :
Back to topic as such , Either Geezer Needs makes some radically changes in tactic's style , play , personel on field and off field or its going to be predictiable as always , its just going to be the same old same old !! as it has been for the last 5 years
Wow and I thought we made serious progress up until June this year. Only thing I think is missing is making decisions in the heat of battle.

Quote :
but you can make a silk purse out of a old sow's ear
2 class forwards and 13 greyhounds is whats needed to win Sam, Dublin have proved it and Donegal are about to.

Quote :
change is enevitable and the county has to bring in youth now or face many year been cuaght back at square one
Well he has and thats plain to see, but are the qulaity players there is the question I'd be asking.

So plenty of generalisation and WUM comments.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 1:12 am

Stonecold wrote:
Quote :
And you know them facts because?? They are both shrewd business men..

Never, ever thought I'd write this, but Vodafone is clearly correct on these two points Stonecold.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

McGeeney & County Board close to deal.
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next