Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

McGeeney & County Board close to deal.

Go down 
+33
Flamingo
archie
Ohtoohtobe
lastline
Come on the Boys in Blue
parcel
egocentric
tomcruise
nuxer
shortgrass
murof
Ogie
flourman
KILL BILL
losthope
kelf
kickingking
jim
steviegenius
Botch
Loads of Pints
BelieveToAchieve
Stonecold
swingfly
ripvanwinkle
topcat
lillyboy
Taibi
SeeTheStars
overthebar
Athyman
Bad News Baba
Jimmy winning matches
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Spot on Stonecold. Although your last line I presume is about O'Neill. I was suggesting a change there not adding.

Still let me ask this, can anyone remember the last major fund raising initiative organised by the County Board and it's different sub boards. All I can remember apart from the Punchestown day (which I may add was discarded this year for no apparent reason even though it was a success and Longford made a mint out doing the same) ,is the players raising their own money. They just don't do it.

Off the top of my head the players/Club Kildare have done
Boxing nights X2
Night at the K Club
Race day at Naas racecourse x2 (one coming up)
Club Kildare Golf days every year
Club Kildare raffle every year

Every other CB in the country runs things all year to bring in the cash, ours it appears sits back and lets Club Kildare and the players organise and raise everything. Then they wonder why we have no money. But I'll tell you why, It's because the money the players raise they keep and spend themselves and since you are not doing any financial generation you have none for yourself, but you still have to pay off Hawkfield and other bills, thus you are in debt. That's the situation in a nutshell.

Not McGeeny's fault, Club Kildare or the players but your own.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 10:41 pm

I am open to correction on this Stonecold but I beleive last year we were in the top 5 in terms of expenditure on our county teams, we were certainly in the top 10. I think the only teams ahead of us we Dublin, Tipp, Kerry and Cork, Cork are a dual county and the other 3 all reached All-Ireland Finals.
Back to top Go down
SeeTheStars
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 10:56 pm

No one is blaming the manager, I can't see one comment in this thread castigating Kieran McGeeney. His job is to do the best he can for the team, which he has done. However he cannot be given a blank check, which clearly has happened, because the executive has not given him a set of parameters in which to work. He clearly has been giving a blank check in pursuit of an All Ireland which seems further away than ever.
Then when the bills have to be paid the CB turn around to the clubs and expect them to pick up the tab.
No one is mentioning Conleths Park, that is a separate issue. These are two separate things;
1. Day to day expenditure to run the various county teams and other running expenses.
2. Capital expenditure to improve facilities (Newbridge, Hawkfield etc)

On the income side, if a GAA supporter has 20 euro in their pocket and someone approaches them to buy a ticket for a raffle, for example, it doesn't matter to them whether that ticket is for a raffle to:
a. fund a development in their local club,
b. pay to a players trip to portugal for a training camp or a new gym.
c. pay for the day to day running of the county team
d. redevelop Conleths park
The still only have the one 20 euro, there is only one pool from which to take money irrespective of what the GAA at local, county or national level is going to do with it.
There was talk of Kildare running a lotto, who do they think that is going to hurt only the local club lottos.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 11:48 pm

Lads this thread was not suppose to descend into a Money arguement.

It was meant to be about McGeeney staying on Board for another year and what changes he is making to his philosophy and thinking in order to improve us next year. What plans has he in place to improve us footballing wise next year is something I'm more concerned with.

Are we getting a change in personnel on the coaching side of things. New conditioning Coach?

Can we keep the topic on footballing rather than the money side of things. The country is depressed enough as it is without bringing Football ( the last sanctuary ) and Money together. Lets let the county board worry about that for the time being please. If not lock the thread that I started admin.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 12:22 am

Fionn, i dont think a change with S&C coach is needed. she has been with the lads over the past 5 years now, she knows their bodies inside and out (refrain from smart comment) It took her 18months to a year to get to that point with the core of players - many of who are still there and will remain there next year.

what she can do is adapt her programme in line with the way the game is gone ie more focus on explosive power and speed. She would still be in the top 3/4 coaches in the country in this area and would no doubt be snapped up by a rival (Armagh prob) if she were to be let go. I would say bringing in a new coach now and having to overhaul completely how they train/physically prepare would have a negative impact.

imo Carew needs to go, one of the good young coaches/managers in kildare need to be brought in, he is only a yes man
Back to top Go down
ripvanwinkle
Senior
Senior
ripvanwinkle

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 12:57 am

Loads of Pints wrote:
Fionn, i dont think a change with S&C coach is needed. she has been with the lads over the past 5 years now, she knows their bodies inside and out (refrain from smart comment) It took her 18months to a year to get to that point with the core of players - many of who are still there and will remain there next year.

what she can do is adapt her programme in line with the way the game is gone ie more focus on explosive power and speed. She would still be in the top 3/4 coaches in the country in this area and would no doubt be snapped up by a rival (Armagh prob) if she were to be let go. I would say bringing in a new coach now and having to overhaul completely how they train/physically prepare would have a negative impact.

imo Carew needs to go, one of the good young coaches/managers in kildare need to be brought in, he is only a yes man

how can you honestly say keep julie davies and get rid of niall carew, what a load of utter tripe about stuff you dont have a clue about. a s & c coach isnt going to make the lads kick the ball over the bar better!!!! mcgeeney had gone through 3 different guys already who were brilliant at what they did so things have been freshened up constantly. take the blinkers off and see that were not good enough this year.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 1:06 am

A fresh face in the management team would not be a bad move. Evans did wonders for Meath when he came in. I dont think S and C is teh problem with theKildare players imo. They ned to work on their speed. Tjhey are strong enough. It was the agility and movement and of the other teams that beat us this year not strength.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 1:22 am

Afineyoungman wrote:
Loads of Pints wrote:

how can you honestly say keep julie davies and get rid of niall carew, what a load of utter tripe about stuff you dont have a clue about. a s & c coach isnt going to make the lads kick the ball over the bar better!!!! mcgeeney had gone through 3 different guys already who were brilliant at what they did so things have been freshened up constantly. take the blinkers off and see that were not good enough this year.

Jesus Niall - relax will you Rolling Eyes

Maybe people are readint his one wrongly. Maybe Carew is the CB insistance? Perhaps Geezer wants a change?? Worth considering.

As for Strength and Conditioning. There are many years or qualification and study required to become the best at what they do. What qualification do selectors have??

Change is needed - that there is no doubt. Its where the change is made that is the crucial point!
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 1:36 am

Afineyoungman wrote:
Loads of Pints wrote:

so my opinion is utter tripe? charming. I would say much of my above statement would mae sense to someone working in the field. Never once did i say a S&C coach is responsible for coaching players to put the ball over the bar. It is obvious a change in approach is needed as regards preparation yet i think an underlying problem lies with the choice of selection/tactics.

By the way i have been fairly open in my assessment that Kildare were not good enough this year, so no need to hand over my 'blinker' just yet. The thread as Fionn has mentioned is about what changes people would consider overall for next year.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 1:47 am

Cut down on the number of nights the county teams train have the players play more with there clubs. This will help in some small way towards the money problems.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 2:04 am

Loads of Points we haven't been good enough since 1928.......yes i said 1928.
but were not in a bad place either and not as far away as people think imo.

Yes fresh blood is needed yes the management might need to be freshened up but imo kieran McGeeney will look at all these things and if he stayes, (which I hope he does) will make the changes.

I think that the managemant of money in this county has to improve. I wasn't at the meeting of the clubs on Wednesday night but the running of all county teams thats both hurling and football was just over 500 k.which isn't too bad.

If we as a county want to be winnings all irelands at minor U21 and senior in both grades it's going to cost money. Thats a fact..
Or we dicide we don't want to spend money and we don't compete. Thats the two choices we as a county have. ( only my opinion of course)
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 3:23 am

steviegenius wrote:
Cut down on the number of nights the county teams train have the players play more with there clubs. This will help in some small way towards the money problems.

I hope this is one stipulation that the county board have insisted on but I won't be holding my breath.

The players looked fatigued and flat during so many matches this year. I think the reports of training in the mornings and almost every day in January contributed in no small part to this. Such a workload is counter productive and the players must be sick of the sight of each other. They'll also fall into bad habits when they're marking the same players in training night after night. More club matches will add much needed variety and help keep things fresh.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 3:28 am

Agree Kicking King. No wonder they look disintersted eehn tehy go back to teh clubs. They are sick of football at that stage with all the training.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 3:39 am

I know we should stay on topic & off the gossip but I have a question from something said by See The Stars

When did John Bannon move back to Longford ?

Hw was living in Tullamore for years so his exes to Hawkfield would have been minimal !!!!
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 4:17 am

I see Donegal played a round of their club championship yesterday. Not a hope in hell that would happen in this county if Kildare were in an AI final.

County players need to train and play more with their clubs, we have a strong local football scene in this county so it wouldn't hinder them IMO.
Back to top Go down
SeeTheStars
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 5:07 am

OK, So he was living in Tulamore, there are a lot of referees between Tullamore and Hawkfield. I am going to respect FionnMcCools point and not comment further on the money thread, tomorrow night will tell the tale anyway.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:39 am

The figure given for team expenses this year is circa € 525k, that was for, 2 senior, two u21, 2 minor and 1 junior. There will be a breakdown per team given tomorrow night
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 5:55 pm

When all is said and done I will be delighted if he stays (and even beyond next year if thats a possibility). Bottom line is he has improved Kildare no end.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 7:35 pm

I also hope he stays on / but don't think he Aidan O'Rourke was replaced wisely. His tactical nous was obviously missing this year, particularly from a defensive point of view. As stated in an earlier post I don't think Rafferty had any positive effect on this group of players.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:25 pm

flourman wrote:
I also hope he stays on / but don't think he Aidan O'Rourke was replaced wisely. His tactical nous was obviously missing this year, particularly from a defensive point of view. As stated in an earlier post I don't think Rafferty had any positive effect on this group of players.

And you know this how?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:31 pm

ballyboy wrote:
The figure given for team expenses this year is circa € 525k, that was for, 2 senior, two u21, 2 minor and 1 junior. There will be a breakdown per team given tomorrow night

So the previous poster who said the senior team spent half a million was inaccurate. As it happens, my understanding is that McGeeney wants the detailed breakdown publicised.

I have a question. Why can't Kildare increase income when plenty other counties can? Tyrone have just gotten a new sponsor for big bucks. Kildare is a very attractive brand, have been involved until August the last five years, on television plenty of times, have a high profile and is one of the most populated counties in the country. Could they get more from sponsorship? Should they be relying on the players/management to fundraise and organise kit/equipment deals?
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Ogie, I raised the point about sponsorship here a few months ago and wondered why we hadn't one of the big pharamaceutical or computer firms from Kildare as our main sponsor. Tegral have been great supporters of Kildare gaa for many years but they have been hammered by the collapse in the building trade and cannot match the power of a multinational like Vodafone. We have seen what has happened in Dublin at underage with the financial backing they have. I feel that there is a major oppurtunity there which should be explored. Maybe someone will come on here and tell me that those big firms are not interested and if so fair enough.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 10:36 pm

Ogie wrote:
flourman wrote:

And you know this how?

1. Results this year.
2. The high scores we conceded this year as opposed to when O'Rourke and Grimley were assistants.
3. Watching training sessions.

Obviously the failures this year can not be placed solely at one man's door step and I am not saying that Rafferty was to blame. But I believe the spirit of the group was much better when Grimley and O'Rourke were driving training sessions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 10:37 pm

I know i stated this thread should not be about money but Can someone tell me what Tegral bring to the pot on an annual basis please.

I've asked this question a number of times but no one seems to know?!
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Increasing the revenue must be a priority. The Shop in the Whitewater was a start but that's survival depends on a successful team.

Why not try something form left field. Look for local graduates in marketing, Pr or Business that may like to gain experience. Then tell them to go out and represent Kildare GAA and find new revenue lines, ie increases in sponsorship. Now for every extra amount they bring in they get a percentage. Bring in nothing get nothing, bring in a large amount get a good percent of that. Not only does the person doing the looking get the chance to make money but they get decent experience straight out of College and a name for themselves in the right circles. Kildare GAA lose nothing if they get no money in but they will reap the rewards if they do.

It might not work out but it just may be lucrative to both parties. New ideas must be tried now to capitalise on the increased profile. You can't keep doing the same things over and over and hope it changes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McGeeney & County Board close to deal.   McGeeney & County Board close to deal. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

McGeeney & County Board close to deal.
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next