Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare's Manager 2014

Go down 
+64
steviegenius
ixus
learmus
Onhisboot
walsheman
Fear An Geata
Gaa1928
kelf
moatesports
TommyKeegan
lollypop
Big Full Back
if_in_doubt
shoutitout
Son of Sarsfields
lilywhites on tour
the young lad
bk 1
LillieLad
Lilywhite forever
lillyboy
Athyman
Cranky
Borderline
Taibi
kildaregaa365
Director
Cilldara_2000
jimmers
Kildare123
jj
Highball
stanley
Bad News Baba
kildarecat
Kildare98
jim
paddyr
flourman
Stonecold
Jimmy winning matches
peile
topcat
micky murphy
bag of white
Frankel
Admin
KILL BILL
Ogie
overthebar
lilysavage
BelieveToAchieve
MD
jobluts
Rex
naked-lilly
johnsmyth
bob12
OutTheGap
Westside
kickingking
murof
SeamusMurphy
Dinny Breen
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next

Kildare Manager 2014
McGeeney + Current Backroom Team
Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
McGeeney + New Backroom Team
Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_lcap62%Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 62% [ 33 ]
Cian O'Neill
Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 7 ]
Glenn Ryan
Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 8 ]
Anthony Rainbow
Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Ronan Quinn
Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Mark Brophy
Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 53

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 2:48 am

Lads, looking at all the posts and comments on this thread, the one thing I have noticed is that with all the various selectors, coaches/mentors we have had over the last 6 years maybe we have been looking at it from the wrong angle.....I would ask the question, why have we went through so many of these selectors/mentors and why did all these people leave.....???? and the one thing that is common is geezer himself, could these selectors not work with him, could they see his limitations in terms of tactics and switches (as has been highlighted many times here), was he to head strong in his own way  and was he slow to take other peoples opinion on board.....or maybe he was the glue that kept it all together and his way is gospel......I suppose with everything, there will be wide range of views on some the things that I mentioned but one thing I would like to see is that the county board ask all the tough questions and get the right answers where possible from the people who will
advise and recommend who should be in charge over the coming years.....IMO there should be change.....to what extent I'm not sure yet, but I will be at the next county board meeting with my clubs comments to put to the floor.....
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 4:05 am

From what I recall Grimley and O'Rourke left because of the travelling, Carew left due to a number of reasons not least his father passing away and needing a break, Ryan is still there as of today. The only one who moved on that I don't know the circumstances was Rafferty last year. Since all left on good terms your conspiracy theory of McGeeney being hard to work with holds little if no water.
Lads can have differing opinions but posts like that over the bar that accuse a lot with no facts is hard to read and lack any credibility.
I hope when you do go to the CB meeting you give your clubs view and not your own.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 4:12 am

That post is a head-wrecker OTB - Grimley and McGeeney have been tight for many years. O'Rourke and McGeeney even longer, since their Sigerson days. In fact O'Rourke had the Louth job but when approached by McGeeney about Kildare, plumped to be selector/coach instead. And Carew and McGeeney recently attended the Leinster final together.

John Rafferty is admired by most Armagh people I think. Unfortunately, his coaching wasn't up to the level that the players had been accustomed to - a bit outdated.

Like you said Rex, at least have a real reason and not a made-up one because you don't like the cut of a lad's jib. Like Joe Brolly pretending to go on a rant, all you're doing is discrediting your side of the argument with that mis(dis)information
Back to top Go down
jobluts
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 5:21 am

Edited by Admin.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 6:01 am

Leave off the blue smarties jobluts, by the way Rex I don't always agree with you but that is an excellent post......
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 6:10 am

jobluts wrote:
Edited by Admin
Jaysus Jobluts, if you read the forum charter you'd see that text talk is not allowed here. I have no idea what your first sentence is about. You say that if counties don't have the success they are accustomed to then they get rid of the manager. What success are we accustomed to? Two leinster titles in over 50 years and that with better players than we have now and the most successful manager in the history of the GAA. If you know what financial deal McGeeney has with the CB then share it with us or refrain from making accusations against him.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 6:21 am

jobluts as was already stated. No text speak.

Also what you are insinuating about our current manager is against the forum charter.

I suggest you have a read of it.

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 11:31 pm

So almost 70% of voters want McGeeney retained thus far.

That's pretty emphatic.
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 12:05 am

Walter White wrote:

That's pretty emphatic.
...and they want a new back room team. Just out of curiosity has McGeeney done anything wrong since he has become manager?

I think its at 70% because of a lack of a valid alternative on that list. I would like to see the percentages if a successful manager was on the list.

Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 12:15 am

Walter White wrote:

That's pretty emphatic.
I voted for mcgeeney with a new backroom team only because there are no credible alternatives. I wouldnt be happy with his management at all over the last couple of years but if we are going to get rid of him we have to be sure we have something better coming in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 12:38 am

But isnt that the point? there is a small minority in this county that want to see Mc Geeney replaced and then you say to these type of people sure who would you replace McGeeney with and thats when their silent!
THERE IS NOBODY AS GOOD AS MCGEENEY RIGHT NOW TO MANAGE KILDARE!
I dont see anyone that could replace him that could be BETTER! there is many counties that want McGeeney as their manager including westmeath and a few others and here's the all conquering mighty Kildare who have been competitive for 80+years and have All Irelands coming out of their pockets Rolling Eyes  trying to get rid of him!
Reading that Moorefield interview id nearly want McGeeney to walk himself and get great success with another county so the likes of that chairman and others will have to turn around and say we shouldnt have let Mc Geeney go.
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 12:42 am

Bill Gannon wrote:
Walter White wrote:

That's pretty emphatic.
I voted for mcgeeney with a new backroom team only because there are no credible alternatives. I wouldnt be happy with his management at all over the last couple of years but if we are going to get rid of him we have to be sure we have something better coming in.
I'd say that echoes the view of the majority of those votes.

McGeeney has a lot of good traits as a manager but he has got things badly wrong on the big days and without a strong character that knows their football beside him he has struggled.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 12:45 am

Is there any indication of whether McGeeney actually wants to remain on?

I would be very interested in what Cian O'Neill could bring to the table as a manager.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 1:50 am

Would he have not resigned by now IMO Kildare are LUCKY McGeeney didnt leave long ago he could have easily walked away.
This is the thing Kicking King if Oneill is only in his first year as coach with Kerry then would it not be common sense that he comes in either as a coach with Kildare in a view to take over in a couple years time or else as the manager only after McGeeney finishes and has been given the chance to rebuild.
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior
Dinny Breen

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 2:05 am

Westside wrote:
Walter White wrote:

That's pretty emphatic.
...and they want a new back room team. Just out of curiosity has McGeeney done anything wrong since he has become manager?

I think its at 70% because of a lack of a valid alternative on that list. I would like to see the percentages if a successful manager was on the list.

Who would have added to the list that's available and successful?
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 2:43 am

Dinny Breen wrote:
Westside wrote:
Walter White wrote:

That's pretty emphatic.

Who would have added to the list that's available and successful?
Bring back Micko
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 2:51 am

Lads,
Not sure how to do this but can anyone add Dermot Early + New Backroom Team for the voting list deffo get my vote
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 3:07 am

Westside wrote:

I'd say that echoes the view of the majority of those votes.

McGeeney has a lot of good traits as a manager but he has got things badly wrong on the big days and without a strong character that knows their football beside him he has struggled.
So he has had Grimley, O'Rourke, Rafferty and Jason Ryan beside him over the last 6 seasons.

At what point do we stop blaming McGeeney and start questioning the players here.

Armagh have Grimley managing them.
Louth have O'Rourke.
Ryan was with Wexford.
Niall Carew is with Waterford

So in effect we have had 4 Intercounty standard managers along with McGeeney over the last 6 years. But people seem to still point the finger of blame solely at him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 3:37 am

Didnt I tell yee they were after our management! Kieran got him to come to kildare and now is wanted to overtake Westmeath McGeeney never gets the credit he deserves and one day we will see himself nominated for other counties and its a day I dont look forward to.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=198830
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 3:48 am

whiteknight wrote:
Would he have not resigned by now IMO Kildare are LUCKY McGeeney didnt leave long ago he could have easily walked away.
This is the thing Kicking King if Oneill is only in his first year as coach with Kerry then would it not be common sense that he comes in either as a coach with Kildare in a view to take over in a couple years time or else as the manager only after McGeeney finishes and has been given the chance to rebuild.  
I posted about this earlier on in the thread. I don't think it is an option that would work or be desirable to those concerned.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 3:52 am

Well If Oneill wont work with McGeeney as said earlier on the thread no brainer for me McGeeney everytime.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 4:36 am

As I have said probably on another thread if Tony McEntee is available and interested, I would approach him about the job. I think 6 years is long enough for any manager, I know we may go back a long way if we get rid of McGeeney but there is nothing to suggest we will improve dramatically by retaining him. The lasts two big matches we have played in Croke Park have resulted in aggregate defeats of 29 points.
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 5:32 am

Saw McGeeney slipping to 68 so added my vote. Would like to see himself, Cian O'Neill, Hendy plus another. Agree with westside re Bryan Murphy, nice guy and heart in the right place but not assertive enough for seniors.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 5:50 am

I have questioned the manager in the past about tactics and S&C but have always supported him in general. There is no doubt he did remarkably well in 09-11 and was desperately unlucky with injuries and refereeing decisions in the last 2 years. However even allowing for us being in transition with a lot of young players my abiding memory of this year is our awful performance against Tyrone in the first half last month. After getting our season back on track against Louth I thought we would explode out of the blocks against Tyrone and really make our home advantage count. Sadly we did the opposite with a lethargic and ponderous display which gifted them a 5 point cushion. Can the manager's two biggest fans on here, Whiteknight and Walter offer any explanation for that display and give us hope that it wont be the norm if we retain the manager. The players should have been highly motivated that day and they clearly were not. Discuss!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 5:55 am

The HS Poll shows 68% against Him staying on..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare's Manager 2014   Kildare's Manager 2014 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare's Manager 2014
Page 2 of 29Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next