Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Cork

Go down 
+51
bob12
walsheman
smokey
Flamingo
if_in_doubt
kelf
Lily8
Ois
Carburyhill
shortgrass
Stonecold
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Taibi
LillieLad
lilysavage
onthewayup
shortgrass1928
theemperor7
tpos
Westside
Cilldara_2000
kickingking
Dinny Breen
Rex
white boy
teedee
stanley
kildaregaa365
reichenhall
Jimmy winning matches
inexile
johnsmyth
SeamusMurphy
Ogie
Onhisboot
lilywhites on tour
jimmers
steviegenius
Gaa1928
Ohtoohtobe
OutTheGap
fatherted
Shergar
topcat
milltownmary
intheback
murof
Bad News Baba
jj
flourman
bag of white
55 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 11:19 am

e.s.b. wrote:
murof wrote:
True O2, we would have learned more playing Fermanagh or Roscommon. But a win with a big score does a lot for the confidence of some players.
Have we ever scored more in the championship than we did against Longford?

I heard after the Laois replay that our score that day (3 18) was our record score in ch'ship, so 2 24 against Longford beats that again, if that's correct that is our 2 highest scores in championship in this campaign, not that that counts for a lot when you get a 19 point hammering from Dublin, but it shows we are getting something right in our forward play

By my reckoning the Longford total is our second highest ever in championship.

List of the top ones:

1st: 9-8 v Carlow 1921
2nd: 2-24 v Longford 2015
3rd: 3-20 v Cavan 2012
4th=: 3-18 v Laois 2015
4th=: 4-15 v Louth 1978
4th=: 5-12 v Wexford 1962
4th=: 4-15 v Cavan 1906
4th=: 4-15 v Laois 1902
9th=: 3-17 v Meath 1997
9th=: 5-11 v Wicklow 1937

So two of our top 10 record scores in championship this year. Shows we're creating chances but you have to bear in mind that there are higher scores in football in general now than ever.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 7:21 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
e.s.b. wrote:
murof wrote:
True O2, we would have learned more playing Fermanagh or Roscommon. But a win with a big score does a lot for the confidence of some players.
Have we ever scored more in the championship than we did against Longford?

I heard after the Laois replay that our score that day (3 18) was our record score in ch'ship, so 2 24 against Longford beats that again, if that's correct that is our 2 highest scores in championship in this campaign, not that that counts for a lot when you get a 19 point hammering from Dublin, but it shows we are getting something right in our forward play

By my reckoning the Longford total is our second highest ever in championship.

List of the top ones:

1st: 9-8 v Carlow 1921
2nd: 2-24 v Longford 2015
3rd: 3-20 v Cavan 2012
4th=: 3-18 v Laois 2015
4th=: 4-15 v Louth 1978
4th=: 5-12 v Wexford 1962
4th=: 4-15 v Cavan 1906
4th=: 4-15 v Laois 1902
9th=: 3-17 v Meath 1997
9th=: 5-11 v Wicklow 1937

So two of our top 10 record scores in championship this year. Shows we're creating chances but you have to bear in mind that there are higher scores in football in general now than ever.  

And you still have people giving out about 'negativity' i.e. defending.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 10:27 pm

Interesting that we've had our biggest defeat since 1897 and our second biggest score ever all within a couple of weeks.

I think it's down to the fact that with teams being fitter and with the rules now favouring the forwards, when a team gets a run on another team - they can rack up big scores.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 12:09 pm

Yeah JC I remember growing up that 10 points was considered an awful beating seems more scope for teams to really rub it in now and we've been on both sides of it this season.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 1:29 am

Cant see Cork turning over the Kingdom the next Day.. and as a previous Post stated, this would be a perfect Time to get a Cork Team that can be very brittle.. Im actually looking forward to this Test now, and dare I say it, "we have a settled look about us". confused
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 10:59 pm

Hearing Fergal Conway has good chance of being ready the next day. With Peter Kelly back also we suddenly have a few options in defence. Hoping whoever it is we play that we go out and give it a good rattle
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 2:41 am

If we played Westmeath and beat them it wouldn't tell much and we'd be in a 1/4 final having beaten no one. Not sure that we can beat either Cork or Kerry but I think it is a good draw. Its what its all about and it comes down to this game. For J.Ryan its a must win and for the players, they would surely have to be up for it.
Encouraging signs are there for the future with the likes of P.Cribben really showing that he is capable of been an outstanding and influential midfielder. Moolick needs to improve on the wider spaces, he is great on tight pitches but may have to adapt his game for the wider spaces, either way I think these two should be the midfield pairing for the next day and beyond. The more senior players also deserve respect and Flaherty & Leper have stood up in the last couple of matches.
We have shown we are better than division 3 but for now that can wait til next year.
Back to top Go down
inexile
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 6:57 am

It's Cork. While it was a terrible evening for football, Cork seemed to fail during the second half, do. we have the beating of them next week?
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 7:02 am

Kildare v cork winners play dublin
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 7:06 am

inexile wrote:
It's Cork. While it was a terrible evening for football, Cork seemed to fail during the second half, do. we have the beating of them next week?

Yes. If we can get off to a good start Cork mightn't have the fight left in them
Back to top Go down
inexile
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 7:09 am

fone wrote:
Kildare v cork winners play dublin
I'd love a go at the Dubs again - give us a chance to redeem ourselves. If we can get over Cork, and I think we can, though it won't be easy, The players I think would be a lot tougher mentally than the last time we played the Dubs and the heads wouldn't go down as quickly or as completely.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 7:14 am

Completely jumping the gun but I don't think it is set in stone that we play Dublin should we win. It could change should Fermanagh beat Westmeath. Anyone know for definite ?
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 7:26 am

A draw would be needed if we beat Cork and Fermanagh beat Westmeath.

I don't give us much chance of beating Cork, to be honest. Even when we were going well under McGeeney we couldn't beat one of the top teams in the championship. This year we have been relegated from Division 2 and lost by 19 points to Dublin. The gap is too big, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 8:45 am

Only saw the 2nd half and the conditions were dreadful but thought Cork looked clueless. Tough week for them knowing they should have won last time.
Would actually give us a good chance of winning this one but the prospect of Dublin again is not appealing. I'm sure the players will only be thinking of the next game and no farther.
Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 8:50 am

A good start is vital,Cork will be a bit demorolised,especially after their second half display tonight..........but also a bit stung.........so lets get stuck in early doors..
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 9:16 am

Lads need to get a grip and some perspective. We're playing a Cork side we've an awful record against at all levels - last championship win at senior was 1928. We've just beaten the two best teams in Division 4 to get here having shipped our worst ever beating against the last Div 1 team we played. If Cork looked clueless against Kerry in the last 20 minutes how did we look for 65 against Dublin?

Given the manager we have, the thin squad we are left with, the psychological scars of the Dublin defeat, not to mention the 2012 quarter final debacle, and our general performance level this year I'd be delirious if we get within 6 or 7 points on Saturday. That would give us something to build on in feckin' Div 3 next year.

It would be the shock of the year if we pulled this one off, with the 7 day turnaround the only real factor that's in our favour. Unless there's a mass defection or some other implosion in the Cork ranks this week - they're capable of doing that too down there.

Hope I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
stanley
Intercounty
Intercounty
stanley

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 9:47 am

Well said Crofter, the last time we were capable of beating the top teams in the country was under Micko, hopefully we can build on the success of the minor and under 21 teams and produce those results again in time to come.
Back to top Go down
inexile
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 9:56 am

Crofter wrote:
Lads need to get a grip and some perspective. We're playing a Cork side we've an awful record against at all levels - last championship win at senior was 1928. We've just beaten the two best teams in Division 4 to get here having shipped our worst ever beating against the last Div 1 team we played. If Cork looked clueless against Kerry in the last 20 minutes how did we look for 65 against Dublin?

Given the manager we have, the thin squad we are left with, the psychological scars of the Dublin defeat, not to mention the 2012 quarter final debacle, and our general performance level this year I'd be delirious if we get within 6 or 7 points on Saturday. That would give us something to build on in feckin' Div 3 next year.

It would be the shock of the year if we pulled this one off, with the 7 day turnaround the only real factor that's in our favour. Unless there's a mass defection or some other implosion in the Cork ranks this week - they're capable of doing that too down there.

Hope I'm wrong.

Living in dreams of yesterday, we find ourselves still dreaming of impossible future conquests.
Charles Lindbergh

Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 10:12 am

jayses Crofter it seems like there's a fair hole in the bottom of your glass.... i wouldn't get too hung up on records...sure they are only historical references really....

Cork will be expecting to beat us.......so this is our real chance to take them....

Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 1:02 pm

jj wrote:
Completely jumping the gun but I don't think it is set in stone that we play Dublin should we win. It could change should Fermanagh beat Westmeath. Anyone know for definite ?

Let's say we beat Cork, it would depend on the Fermanagh v Westmeath result. If Westmeath win, I think it means we'd play Dublin as Westmeath played the Dubs more recently. If Fermanagh win we'd be playing Kerry as the priority would be to avoid a repeat of Kildare v Dublin. That's my understanding anyway.

Biggest if in all of that is of course us beating Cork.

I don't expect us to win but for some reason I expect us to give it a good rattle. It's kind of like our game against Offaly in reverse and I expect a similar outcome, the favourites to pull through after a difficult game.

Like they have the best forward in the country (imo) and I think that extra class will tell in the end.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 4:14 pm

inexile wrote:
Crofter wrote:

Hope I'm wrong.

Living in dreams of yesterday, we find ourselves still dreaming of impossible future conquests.
Charles Lindbergh

Don't remember Lindbergh gracing Croke Park ?

Of course we all dream - I've been doing it for 40 years. I wouldn't frequent this place otherwise. I'm just saying it's incredibly unlikely on all evidence that we beat Cork.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 4:25 pm

reichenhall wrote:
jayses Crofter it seems like there's a fair hole in the bottom of your glass.... i wouldn't get too hung up on records...sure they are only historical references really....

Cork will be expecting to beat us.......so this is our real chance to take them....

When we have a group of players who don't get hung up on past history I might ignore it too. Beaten before they went out against Dublin and unwilling to put a hand on a Dublin player until the game was well over, let's hope they've had a courage transplant since then. As I said above I dream of Kildare success the same as everyone else but football can be a cold, hard game where in championship shocks are few and far between. The last time we beat someone of real significance in championship was the 2000 Leinster Final. That was the last Kildare team (McGeeney's included) who had the mental attitude and cussedness to believe they could beat anyone.

I look forward however to having this thrown in my face next Saturday night if we do pull off a shock win.

To be clear the team have already gone further than I expected after the Dublin shambles although being drawn against two Div 4 teams helps.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 5:45 pm

To put things in perspective, this season Cork have beaten Dublin, Monaghan, Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo and Donegal in the league and drew with Kerry in the championship. They've had a couple of disappointing games against Dublin (league final) and Kerry (yesterday) but those defeats have been against the best teams in the country.

Kildare have beaten Laois and Cavan in the league and Laois, Offaly and Longford in the championship and lost by 19 points to Dublin. Even when we were going well under McGeeney we couldn't take out one of the top teams so it seems unlikely now.

The main things we have going for us is that Cork have a 7 day turnaround and we seem to have regrouped well after the Dublin game. I'd be expecting a competitive performance from us but it's hard to see us beating Cork.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Martin Duffy is ref
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 8:25 pm

If Duffy is referee the defenders better practise non contact defending during week.
Any idea when the jokers in Croke Park are going to tell us where it's on?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Cork
Page 2 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next