Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Cork

Go down 
+51
bob12
walsheman
smokey
Flamingo
if_in_doubt
kelf
Lily8
Ois
Carburyhill
shortgrass
Stonecold
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Taibi
LillieLad
lilysavage
onthewayup
shortgrass1928
theemperor7
tpos
Westside
Cilldara_2000
kickingking
Dinny Breen
Rex
white boy
teedee
stanley
kildaregaa365
reichenhall
Jimmy winning matches
inexile
johnsmyth
SeamusMurphy
Ogie
Onhisboot
lilywhites on tour
jimmers
steviegenius
Gaa1928
Ohtoohtobe
OutTheGap
fatherted
Shergar
topcat
milltownmary
intheback
murof
Bad News Baba
jj
flourman
bag of white
55 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
teedee
Junior A
Junior A

Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 9:27 pm

hopefully portlaoise! next week is our 6th game in the championship and is possibly 4 more than a lot of us would have thought. its about giving it our best shot (unlike the dublin game) and playing the strongest 15 we have available, and i include mark sherry peter kelly and fergal conway in the 15 but i know ryan wont start any of them. ryan should and will be gone more than likely after next week but theres so much talent coming through that next week is a stepping stone back to where we want to be, so giving cork a good rattle, will give us great belief for the future, and who knows? that rattle could be enough to get us an unlilely win. we are a young panel of players with a few older heads around at the moment, but the older legs will be replaced by the likes of mark sherry next yr and div 3 will give us the chance to bed these lads in and with the right manager, our future is looking very bright. as i said in an earlier post, its great to be looking forward to next yrs championship while still in this yrs. will take that anytime!
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 10:07 pm

Lads cork ain't Dublin we should run at them they way Cribbin and Lyons did in the Longford game ,. There midfield ain't as Moble as ours . We need to take every chance up front no 16 wides . There there for they taking bad start and we gone
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 10:15 pm

Cork have been over run by Dublin in recent years also including losing an 8 point half time lead last year. They are much better than any side we have met so far this year apart from Dublin but you would have to question their morale for this game after the games against Kerry.
They had a wonderful opportunity to win the first day and blew it and now have a 7 day turnaround to play a side that is improving after a good win last time. History shows that a lot of teams really struggle in that scenario.
It is a great chance for Kildare to have a real go and run at them. I wouldn't think the 2012 game is any way relevant, that was a Kildare team in decline who had scraped past Limerick.
We are allowed to be optimistic on here occasionally I hope, its been tough going since Jason came on board.
Back to top Go down
teedee
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 10:42 pm

exactly. go at them from the start with pace. bolton. and lyons getting forward at every opportunity. ogrady well able to come out with the ball at pace. eoin doyle, as well as been a tight marker, is not too slow either. cribben and moolick have shown already how well they can get forward as well as winning enough ball around the middle. with the pace of sherry and smith, industry of oflaherty and the flair of niall kelly (when he doesnt take the ball into a 3 man tackle), callaghan, who hasnt got the legs anymore, but can still come up with vital scores along with fogarty, who, with the right ball, can cause major problems. of course we have a chance. think ive said enough now before i have us certainties for sam!! only sayin though.......
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Quote :

Like they have the best forward in the country (imo) and I think that extra class will tell in the end.
They might but they still resorted to putting O'Connor at full forward last night and hoofed balls down on top of him. Not the most innovative of tactics.

If and it's a big if we can stop the runs up the middle I think we can give them a rattle. But I think like 2012 they will get joy by running hard up our center. 

What is definitely in our favor is the emotional baggage that they carry from last night. They had that game won last week but found a way to lose it. Then they get well beaten last night. We need to hit them hard early and see if they have the stomach for it.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 11:37 pm

I think the difference between Cork and the other potential provincial runner-ups is that Cork will feel that they can still go on and win the All-Ireland. On that basis I really expect them to be fully focussed and not carrying any emotional baggage.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 11:43 pm

murof wrote:
Cork have been over run by Dublin in recent years also including losing an 8 point half time lead last year. They are much better than any side we have met so far this year apart from Dublin but you would have to question their morale for this game after the games against Kerry.
They had a wonderful opportunity to win the first day and blew it and now have a 7 day turnaround to play a side that is improving after a good win last time. History shows that a lot of teams really struggle in that scenario.
It is a great chance for Kildare to have a real go and run at them. I wouldn't think the 2012 game is any way relevant, that was a Kildare team in decline who had scraped past Limerick.
We are allowed to be optimistic on here occasionally I hope, its been tough going since Jason came on board.

Ah lads you'll have me dreaming again if you're not careful... go easy on the optimism
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 11:46 pm

Bad News Baba wrote:

We need to hit them hard early and see if they have the stomach for it.

Agreed. But which Kildare players are capable of hitting hard? Eoin Doyle - definitely. Emmet Bolton and Paidi O'Neill - possibly. After that I'm struggling to come up with any. In Kildare we always tend to pick the most skilful players whereas the successful teams will always have a few physical players. I'd definitely pick Peter Kelly and Fergal Conway from the start if they are available.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 3:32 am

JohnnyC wrote:
Bad News Baba wrote:

Agreed. But which Kildare players are capable of hitting hard? Eoin Doyle - definitely. Emmet Bolton and Paidi O'Neill - possibly. After that I'm struggling to come up with any. In Kildare we always tend to pick the most skilful players whereas the successful teams will always have a few physical players. I'd definitely pick Peter Kelly and Fergal Conway from the start if they are available.

Really good point. I'm not even sure I'd put Conway in that category. I indulged myself by watching back Kildare v Kerry from '98 yesterday and the physicality of our team and the defending in particular struck me. We used to produce such good defenders back then. Different game nowadays of course but we don't have the physicality to adopt the "hit 'em early" approach as evidenced by the Dublin game not to mention some league disasters the last couple of years.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:32 am

A lot of that 98 team were the young lads who were regularly bullied by Dublin from 91-94. They grew up and were well able for Dublin and Meath in the late 90's. This is a young Kildare team also and will improve physically and mentally in the years ahead.
Cork are better than us and have been playing better teams but I would sooner be a Kildare player going training this week than a Cork one.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 8:55 am

murof wrote:
A lot of that 98 team were the young lads who were regularly bullied by Dublin from 91-94. They grew up and were well able for Dublin and Meath in the late 90's. This is a young Kildare team also and will improve physically and mentally in the years ahead.
Cork are better than us and have been playing better teams but I would sooner be a Kildare player going training this week than a Cork one.

That's a fair point about that team - they were raw and easily bullied in Micko's first visitation.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 9:44 am

To be honest I'm not talking about the physical side, we won't win that battle. I'm talking about going hell for leather and trying to get the most scores in as early as possible. See how they react to going behind, see if they really want it as much as I hope the Kildare players do.  

Reading some comments online from Cork supporters, they see us as a blip, awful Kildare I think one put it. We know we are not world beaters but let's test them. See what they got left. If it's too much so be it, but test them we need to.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 12:29 pm

Crofter wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:
Bad News Baba wrote:

Really good point. I'm not even sure I'd put Conway in that category. I indulged myself by watching back Kildare v Kerry from '98 yesterday and the physicality of our team and the defending in particular struck me. We used to produce such good defenders back then. Different game nowadays of course but we don't have the physicality to adopt the "hit 'em early" approach as evidenced by the Dublin game not to mention some league disasters the last couple of years.

The things is lads that the best teams' big men are all very comfortable on the ball too - think of the likes of Neil Gallagher, Paul Flynn, Aidan O'Shea, etc. Whereas every time Fergal goes to solo or kick-pass the ball your heart is in your mouth because anything can happen.

That's not to run him down, he's improving the last two years and will keep doing so, I'm just saying that size and strength on its own is not enough and he, like the majority of our players, is a long way from the finished article.

And anyway I'd be hesitant to start players with no match practice under their belts.

I'd be very surprised if we don't go with the same again. Only one I'd have under pressure is Murnaghan. I didn't see the Longford game but he was poor against Offaly. In fairness maybe he struggled with the six-day turnaround.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 6:04 pm

I just hope the match isn't on in Thurles, apparently the whole town is booked out with the 3 Hurling games scheduled for Sunday.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 6:44 pm

I'm sure the GAA will let us know sometime around Saturday morning where the game will be played. Ridiculous carry on when there were only two possible opponents as of a week ago !

Seriously I'm told they'll announce the venue this afternoon.

In a similar vein I suppose we'll be waiting another week before hearing of the timing / venue of the minor quarter final on the bank holiday week end.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 7:23 pm

On the long list of Priorities the GAA have supporters can be found down at the bottom. It's always been that way.

Think we might have a squeak here, no pressure on us, huge pressure on Cork. If you go by the law of averages we are due a win against a better ranked team. Maybe this is the week. It's a small bit of hope to grasp onto.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 9:09 pm

If we somehow managed to beat Cork. We meet Dublin. That is all.
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior
Dinny Breen

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 9:38 pm

Freddy Krueger wrote:

Only if Westmeath win other wise it's Kerry Mad
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Crofter wrote:
I'm sure the GAA will let us know sometime around Saturday morning where the game will be played. Ridiculous carry on when there were only two possible opponents as of a week ago !

Seriously I'm told they'll announce the venue this afternoon.

In a similar vein I suppose we'll be waiting another week before hearing of the timing / venue of the minor quarter final on the bank holiday week end.

It's scandalous at this point. We should have been told that it was x if Kerry or Y if Cork. It's really not that difficult. Doesn't bother me greatly but feel for people who maybe wanted to make a night away out of it.
On a positive note, it's Monday and I still think we've a chance to win match
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 11:10 pm

Thurles
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 11:47 pm

Having weighed everything up I think that Cork are probably about 10 points better than us, that said I would love to be proved wrong.
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 12:53 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
Having weighed everything up I think that Cork are probably about 10 points better than us, that said I would love to be proved wrong.

Yeah I agree with you on both counts.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 1:01 am

I think this game will be similar to the corresponding one against Monaghan last year where we play well and put ourselves in a position to win. Whether we are good enough at that stage to kick on and actually win is debatable but it will tell us a lot about where we stand for next year.
If we lose playing really well that is encouraging enough for me considering what went on in the first half of the year.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 1:51 am

Dinny Breen wrote:
Freddy Krueger wrote:

Only if Westmeath win other wise it's Kerry Mad

That seems to be the case. See QF options from gaa.ie:

Quarter-Finals (A)
Option 1
Fermanagh v Kerry
Cork v Dublin

Option 2
Fermanagh v Dublin
Kildare v Kerry

Option 3
Westmeath v Kerry
Cork v Dublin

Option 4
Westmeath v Kerry
Kildare v Dublin
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 2:27 am

Cork 1/5, Kildare 9/2, Draw 12/1.. Spread is 5 Points.
PP not given us much of a chance.. Big Pitch will probably suit Cork better imo.. but a Big Performance from us against what can be a very soft centered Cork side, and we can Win.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Cork
Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next