Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Cork

Go down 
+51
bob12
walsheman
smokey
Flamingo
if_in_doubt
kelf
Lily8
Ois
Carburyhill
shortgrass
Stonecold
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Taibi
LillieLad
lilysavage
onthewayup
shortgrass1928
theemperor7
tpos
Westside
Cilldara_2000
kickingking
Dinny Breen
Rex
white boy
teedee
stanley
kildaregaa365
reichenhall
Jimmy winning matches
inexile
johnsmyth
SeamusMurphy
Ogie
Onhisboot
lilywhites on tour
jimmers
steviegenius
Gaa1928
Ohtoohtobe
OutTheGap
fatherted
Shergar
topcat
milltownmary
intheback
murof
Bad News Baba
jj
flourman
bag of white
55 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage
murof
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 10:30 pm

No sympathy for Cork, they had the Munster final won and stupidly kicked a late free short which led to to the Kerry equaliser. They knew since that it was a 7 day turn around if they lost the replay.
Had a look at a couple of the Cork forums last week and they totally dismissed Kildare and were more concerned about Dublin when the won.
If we had started slowly and let them into the game it could have been different but they have been playing Div 1 football for a long time now and have far more experience playing at a higher level than we have.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 10:49 pm

stanley wrote:
The way some of the Cork supporters were going on in the week before the game, Kildare were just a minor distraction, and Cork were already preparing for the quarter final.

You'd wonder if the players felt the same.

Kerry fans saying the same kinds of things, which to be fair since they are Champions they can get away with. Hopefully though deep down their players feel we are an inconvenience and have one eye on the Semi final as Cork did the quarter.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 10:53 pm

Most times when you see a Division 1 team take on a team in a lower division, the pace of the game catches out the team in the lower division. That wasn't the case on Saturday, we were the ones trying to up the pace by taking quick frees etc and Cork looked laboured and like a team that wasn't up to the pace.

We'll see how we do against Kerry but it was very encouraging. It means that playing in Division 3 next year mightn't be the disaster that we feared but obviously we'd want to be getting promoted as quickly as possible.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 10:55 pm

Whatever about the Cork players, the Cork management came with a game plan to face Dublin this week rather than get over Kildare first, it was very dismissive of us, basically using our game as a training game for Dublin. They got what they deserved for that attitude.

As we are not seen as one of the perennial powers of Gaelic Football, every team we beat will have some excuse or other - Cork short turnaround - Kerry won't have been tested enough before playing us etc.

None of these are our concern at all. We can give Kerry a right rattle on Sunday, if we are good enough great but they won't be as dismissive of us as Cork were.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 11:29 pm

topcat wrote:
Whatever about the Cork players, the Cork management came with a game plan to face Dublin this week rather than get over Kildare first, it was very dismissive of us, basically using our game as a training game for Dublin. They got what they deserved for that attitude.

As we are not seen as one of the perennial powers of Gaelic Football, every team we beat will have some excuse or other - Cork short turnaround - Kerry won't have been tested enough before playing us etc.

None of these are our concern at all. We can give Kerry a right rattle on Sunday, if we are good enough great but they won't be as dismissive of us as Cork were.

Doesn't sound like Fitzmaurice is that worried about Kildare to me Topcat .

Quotes:

"Now, if Cork had played like they can play, and played the way they played against us the first day, you would have expected Cork to beat Kildare, but they did not reproduce that form on Saturday night, for whatever reason."

"Usually it's six days - Cork had seven days alright - but they obviously put a lot into the Munster Championship, and had placed a lot of store in beating Kerry in that Munster Championship.
"I think from that point of view there was definitely a hangover the following weekend.
"Having said that, if Conor Dorman's palm off the bar had gone in - there was a six-point swing there in two minutes - but it hit the crossbar. Niall Kelly went up and got a goal two minutes later, and it was effectively game over after that" .

Neither of the above are dismissive of Kildare's performance but it certainly doesn't sound like a man overly worried.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 11:32 pm

bag of white wrote:
stanley wrote:
The way some of the Cork supporters were going on in the week before the game, Kildare were just a minor distraction, and Cork were already preparing for the quarter final.

I hope we prove to be more than just a minor distraction for Kerry and we can bring more of the young lads from the past few successful minor teams through and start to build a quality squad again over the next few years.

Spot on.. and maybe Div 3 isnt the worse place to be to start bringing them in and get used to life at Inter County level.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 2:03 am

Lads believe you me Kerry are well-warned. I have connections with their backroom team (no not Cian) and they were hugely impressed with us on Sat night. The issue with Cork is an underlying mental one that Kildare made hay with. If you think Kerry will get caught the same way you're going to be disappointed. That's not to say we don't have a chance - I think we and the entire country have to re-evaluate our potential after Saturday night when lads like Doyle, Cribbin, Moolick, Kelly and Donnellan few into men. The bookies don't really fancy us and you can see why given pedigree but hooefully our guys will be able to produce at least the same level of effort, are as well organised and get a bit of luck along the way. Then we'll just have to see how far it gets us. Will be lambasted as usual no doubt by the positivity police but I would be very shocked if we won this one.
Would be happy to be competitive.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 2:18 am

Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 5:53 am

I was an enthusiastic member of the positivity police the last day but sadly think this is a step to big for us. Kerry have always been the most naturally gifted team and always had forwards to get the vital scores. I cant see us outscoring them even though we have the means to run up a decent score ourselves.
Their midfield pairing are superb ball winners but not as mobile as ours. Moolick will have to spend a lot of time in the air competing with them. Would be very happy if we could be competitive, put in a few thumping tackles and move the ball at speed.
A bad defeat would take a lot of the gloss of the Cork win, I hope it doesn't happen and I don't think it will.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 6:12 am

murof wrote:
I was an enthusiastic member of the positivity police the last day but sadly think this is a step to big for us. Kerry have always been the most naturally gifted team and always had forwards to get the vital scores. I cant see us outscoring them even though we have the means to run up a decent score ourselves.
Their midfield pairing are superb ball winners but not as mobile as ours. Moolick will have to spend a lot of time in the air competing with them. Would be very happy if we could be competitive, put in a few thumping tackles and move the ball at speed.
A bad defeat would take a lot of the gloss of the Cork win, I hope it doesn't happen and I don't think it will.

+1

In saying that I don't believe Kerry are as good as the media would have us believe. Yes they have some fantastic footballers but a lot of these are in their twilight years of their footballing career. Because of their history and tradition they have an immediate advantage over most teams which on the day can be worth a few points.

If we can break even in middle I see no reason why we cannot be very competitive.

Stopping the supply of ball in is more important than our back 3 being touch tight. Our half forwards and midfield will decide how competitive we are.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 9:57 pm

For all the geniuses in the media who are spouting the short turnaround did it for Cork at the weekend I don't seem to remember many of them tipping Kildare in lead up to game . Just saying ....
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 6:40 am

[quote="shortgrass1928"]http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other/kildares-emmet-bolton-could-unhinge-cork-687899.html

Author was on d money . Does he know what the future holds. We were laughing at the article last week
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 9:16 am

One thing that extremely bothers me about the whole 6 day turnaround talk is that there have been many times throughout the years where teams like Kildare and others have played a provincial semi final or something similar and are out the next Saturday, and we have won! Nothing is said about that in the build up about how little time we had to to get our heads straight etc. Sure this year we played Dublin and six days later we played Offaly. I remember a couple years ago when the Dubs sneaked past us with the handy free and six days later we were in Portlaoise and beat Laois out the gate with one of our best performances under Geezer. There has been plenty of times where teams have one with their own 6 day turnaround but it only seems to be a matter when its a final. To me, the excuse of 6 day turnaround is bullshit and its exactly that, an excuse. I dont for one second think a Cork player went out on Saturday thinking about the Kerry game the weekend one before. Granted, it may of been hard to pick their heads up for it but I dont think it should be ever used as an excuse. Every soccer team in every league have a 6 day turnaround for their games no matter their result previously, Eg, When Man United lost 6-1 to city at home they won their game the next week and the next 11 after. I know its not related exactly but the point I am making is that in most sports every team play big games and lose in various circumstances and make amends the week after. The 6 day turnaround is not something that should ever be used for losing a game by Kildare, Dublin or whoever wants to use it.
Back to top Go down
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 11:22 am

......another thing that bothers me is that it was actually a 7 day turn around, Saturday to Saturday, not a 6 day turn around. Also Kerry & cork decided to give themselves 2 weeks between the drawn game and the replay, meaning the losers would only have a 1 week turn around, so I would have no sympathy on that count.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 4:00 pm

bob12 wrote:
shortgrass1928 wrote:
http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other/kildares-emmet-bolton-could-unhinge-cork-687899.html

Author was on d money . Does he know what the future holds.  We were laughing at the article last week

Did you read it Bob? How was he on the money?
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 6:08 pm

Chalky White didn't even play until the last minute.. Emmet was good but I doubt many on here would put him in their top 5 last week. It was largely his comments on Callaghan and White that people had an issue with. I dont see how any of those were shown to be "on the money".
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 7:15 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
bob12 wrote:
shortgrass1928 wrote:
http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other/kildares-emmet-bolton-could-unhinge-cork-687899.html

Author was on d money . Does he know what the future holds.  We were laughing at the article last week

Did you read it Bob? How was he on the money?

Stop will you that's my opinion. Looking to start an argument. Love the old keyboard warrior's
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 7:18 pm

Just still think the article was terrible
Back to top Go down
Radley Park
Intermediate
Intermediate
Radley Park

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 10:41 pm

The article was anything but on the money...it was a typical piece written by a national journalist who honed in on the obvious choice of Botlon and Leper.
Not that I am taking away from either, as both have been brilliant servants and have contributed greatly to Kildare's cause over the years. And as Kildare have built momentum, the form of the two has improved greatly.
But national journalists genuinely go with the safe bet...his examples to back up his opinions on the two were from games against lesser opposition and against beaten teams who either caved in under pressure (Laois) or never got going at all (Longford)...he didn't mention how they fared against Dublin, the biggest game Kildare played in this year before last weekend's clash with Cork.
For me, when Kildare have performed this year and gotten their act together, O'Flaherty, Cribbin and O'Doyle have been the standout players, so too Niall Kelly and Moolick either when sprung from the bench or when started against Cork. Alan Smith has also impressed at times too - he probably doesn't get the credit he deserves outside of this county.
To me that piece was written off the back of some promotion event or promo for the game, rather than the journalist going looking for either because he had a great idea for an article. It was easy copy, albeit well written, for him to supply without having to break too much sweat in compiling it.
#justsaying
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 3:19 am

In fairness the standard of sports journalism these days is pretty muck anyway. TK nailed it in this article.

https://ewanmackenna.wordpress.com/2015/07/28/once-a-passion-now-merely-a-job/
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 4:03 am

LillieLad wrote:
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kildare-find-strength-in-the-face-of-adversity-31408465.html
Best article yet.

Writing by numbers - take this wonderfully inane paragraph:

"However, just prior to Kildare going on a decisive scoring burst in the second half, Tomás Ó Flatharta’s outfit had missed two guilt-edged goalscoring opportunities with the tie hanging in the balance."

"guilt-edged"????? Mad FFS................ Evil or Very Mad

The rest is just about as brilliant as that!
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 8:09 am

They were guilt edged, one was a penalty, the other was a one on one!!
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 8:12 am

topcat wrote:
They were guilt edged, one was a penalty, the other was a one on one!!

.. Yep
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 8:45 am

Lads I think Tom is referring to the spelling of gilt-edged
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 8:52 am

Shite - my ignorance knows no bounds, never noticed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Cork   Kildare v Cork - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Cork
Page 11 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11