Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare V Mayo

Go down 
+56
Fizzer
Twentyeight
fatherted
squire
DONTPULLOUT
Big Full Back
Borderline
jimmers
ixus
steviegenius
Sam1928
bloodsub
Blue lilie
The Lillywhite
lillyboy
if_in_doubt
smokey
FearBan
Highball
TommyKeegan
kickingking
Flamingo
hawker
Gaa1928
Ohtoohtobe
Dinny Breen
inexile
learmus
shoeshine
Kildare98
Ogie
LillieLad
Liffey Likes
Xavi
Rex
Taibi
Cranky
micky murphy
Cilldara_2000
Fear An Geata
topcat
moatesports
flourman
SeamusMurphy
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Jimmy winning matches
kildaregaa365
Onhisboot
murof
bigball
intheback
Frankel
MD
jj
KILL BILL
Onechance
60 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 10:56 am

Possibly the best week ever..............
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 11:08 am

Borderline wrote:
Let me be the first to congratulate all concerned for that display last night. I didn't see a performance like that coming, not in a million years. I was so wrong in my assesment of the whole situation this week and i never thought we'd get a reaction like that. Well done again lads, I'm feeling very humble and happy at the same time ....

Sorry for doubting ya buddy, fantastic win, Hon the Lilies cheers
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 11:10 am

jimmers wrote:
Today we are playing a team who on 4 occasions in the last 5 years (one of them a replay) have played for the Sam Maguire - in the 3 games they lost, they did so by just a point and in each of them to what is arguably the best team ever. So yes we are playing a top, top team - some may call them bottlers, but in any other generation they would have won a few All-Irelands. So it will not be easy but in each of the last couple of summers they have appeared vulnerable and on some occasion they will be caught. Why not this evening?

It has been the most bizarre week ever - why not end it with a win and what would be an incredible end to a tumultuous week?

No apologies for repeating my earlier post - lets not understate the achievement this evening - we have played and beaten a top, top team. Now lets kick on and show what this team can achieve!
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 11:21 am

Yeah I hope to god we put in a performance next week this win will be worth feck all if we play shite next week. I don't think we will play shite though, something happened after the Carlow game and it seems like it could have been the best thing ever. Everyone on here including me questioned our teams desire and bottle when it comes to close matches, with the wins the past few weeks we are going in the right direction. Hon the Lilies.
Back to top Go down
Twentyeight
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Has CON just saved his job or is the Carlow debacle too much to come back from? It will be interesting to see if that performance can be replaced in the next game/games or was the performance just a reaction to the weeks events
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 4:55 pm

We won a tight Game against a top Team.. Now let's get a win in Croker next Day and make the last 8.

A proud Day for all of us.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 6:29 pm

All Kildare supporters must be prone to becoming bi-polar, surely no other county displays such wildly varying performances, talk about a roller coaster season, but last night was so good, almost tears of joy last night and I am going to Kildare matches for almost 50 years now, and this is the best since 2000
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 6:46 pm

Still too much of an emotional wreck to fully process that but 2 quick points.
1. Our man to man tackling and tenacity was the best I've seen in a long long time. Players were tight and they rarely opened us up for a goal chance.
2. Paddy Brophy's pass to Paul Cribbin and his subsequent finish after 14 minutes. Sublime.

Will try and take rest in at some stage over next few days...
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 8:43 pm

Looking at the below it appears that the qualifiers for the super 8's will play each other in Croke Park and will have one home game against a provincial winner and one away game against a provincial winner, just saying:

Super 8 Group One

Teams: Kerry, Galway, Fermanagh or round four qualifier, Laois or round four qualifier.

Phase 1 July 14/15

Kerry vs Galway @ Croke Park

Fermanagh/Rd. 4 qualifier vs Laois/Rd. 4 qualifier @ Croke Park

Phase 2 July 21/22

Fermanagh/Rd. 4 qualifier vs Galway

Laois/Rd. 4 qualifier vs Kerry

Phase 3 August 4/5

Kerry vs Fermanagh/Rd. 4 qualifier

Galway vs Laois/Rd. 4 qualifier

Super 8 Group Two

Teams: Donegal, Dublin, Cork or round 4 qualifier, Roscommon or round four qualifier.

Phase 1 July 14/15

Dublin vs Donegal @ Croke Park

Cork/Rd. 4 qualifier vs Roscommon/Rd. 4 qualifier @ Croke Park

Phase 2 July 21/22

Cork/Rd. 4 qualifier vs Dublin

Roscommon/Rd. 4 qualifier vs Donegal

Phase 3 August 4/5/6

Donegal vs Cork/Rd. 4 qualifier

Dublin vs Roscommon/Rd. 4 qualifier
Back to top Go down
Cranky
Junior A
Junior A
Cranky

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 8:51 pm

As a man once said, how can you talk logically and analyze a game when Kildare are involved, they just defy all logic Very Happy So happy for the lads and management, has been so frustrating knowing they had this level of performance in them and not delivering, but finally they have arrived. So so proud of them, going to savour this and worry about next opponent in a few days
Back to top Go down
Fizzer
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 8:58 pm

What a week, what a match, what an evening and what a summer! Carlow first and now this. There’s hardly any sense to it, hardly any point trying to rationalise it. It’s about emotion not logic. Right now it feels we can achieve anything and beat anyone. And why not, we stood up for ourselves, and suddenly everything has changed. Fear has gone, and whatever lies ahead bring it on.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Just gonna pick out a few players.

Hyland - what a warrior. His tackling was immense and whenever he gets on the ball, he always takes the right option. Excellent.

P Kelly - Brilliant. Ive no idea how he has done it but he is back to his very best. His interception near the end was massive!

Doyle - very good, marked his man instead of sweeping. Made a huge difference.

Feeley - A great footballer. One of the best I have seen in the famous white jersey.

Conway - gets my vote for poty so far. Strong, quick and can score. His driving runs were crucial. Got in o sheas face and he didnt like it one bit.

Paul Cribben - we've always known the talent he possessed but yesterday was the best game he has had at senior level for me. 4 massive points from play.

Neil Flynn - His comeback to the team has been so important. Lovely footballer and seems to have bulked up this year.

Well done all and thanks for giving us memories that will last a long long time.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 11:50 pm

I still cannot type. No idea what to say. Pride. Pride. And more pride.
Back to top Go down
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 2:18 am

Well done all, from top to bottom a great week for Kildare, some brilliant displays yesterday. Lets try and keep the feet on the ground, some dangerous opponents lying in wait in 1 weeks time, but if we maintain and build on that performance i'll be a happy man
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 2:52 am

Been very critical of this current Kildare team but yesterday they finally matured. Paul Cribbin was simply outstanding. Conway, Flynn x2 and Feely all stood up too.

A proud day that'll live long in the memory.

Back to top Go down
Tadhgín
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 4:16 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
We won a tight Game against a top Team.. Now let's get a win in Croker next Day and make the last 8.

A proud Day for all of us.

Don't think it will be Croker. Michael Bublé there next Saturday AFAIK.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 4:22 am

I've been critical as well on here about our lack of progress this year so only too happy to give credit where it's due after a great performance. Great to see a return to form for Paul Cribbin. His point to bring us level at 8 points each was crucial as Mayo were after scoring 6 in a row before that. Anyone who saw Paul score 5 points from play against Dublin at minor level a few years ago knows how good he can be so it was frustrating to see him drift in and out of games.

I like the way the team is set up now. The wing backs are happy to go forward knowing the likes of Keith Cribbin or Fergal Conway will fill in for them. Neil and Daniel Flynn are gelling well and are dangerous when the ball is kicked in quickly. The subs yesterday made a big difference when we were tiring.

Still lots of room for. Improvement. We were cleaned out at midfield for long periods yesterday and there was nobody to break the ball away from Aidan O'Shea. Our free-taking has improved with Neil Flynn but he did miss a few as well. Our tackling has improved but we still give away some soft ones.

We have to push on now. The last time we were celebrating on the pitch after a match was when we beat Cork a couple of years ago and then got hammered by Kerry in the next match. Yesterday's win won't mean much if we don't keep it going and make the Super 8s.
Back to top Go down
squire
Junior C
Junior C
squire

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 4:43 am

Nice article today TK. Not sure I would have been able to hold back as much with the criticism of the comments of the Top Brass. They deserve to be called out.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 5:07 am

Catches the atmosphere ......
https://youtu.be/vqGxMtGpz7o
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 7:18 am

To use a well worn phrase in films "that's what I'm talking about " is my first feeling about yesterday. This was the performance that we all had hoped was in this group of players. It is also why we get so frustrated watching them because we know that's ia what they areally capable of.

The week leading up to this game was manic. A lot of shite talked by people who should know better. I'm looking at you David Brady and Dick "dick" Clerkin. The County was united as one and it shows how powerful we can be if everyone gets on the same bus. We need more of this from now on. The CB must get huge praise for conveying the feelings of our supporters and standing firm

As for the game what can you say that hasn't been said already. 21 warriors who gave everything they had played brilliant football and out gunned, out ran, out tackled, out fought and out Mayo'd Mayo. Those last twenty minutes were the best football we have played since the Donegal game in 2011 and Dublin in 2000. That's how good they were.
I'm not going to single out players because everyone of them deserve to be recognised in the same light. All heroes who put the pride firmly back in the white jersey.

The scenes on the pitch at full time will live long in the memory. What joy, what release. I've never taken any drugs in my life but I bet nothing comes close to that feeling at the final whistle.

To the management and particularly Cian, you led the County this week with your strong and eloquent words. You deserve huge credit and hopefully this will be just the beginning.

Finally I don't like to finish on any negative but we must follow this up next week. To win against Mayo the lose the following week will negate all of this week's work. The players know how good they can be. They must maintain that.

Cill Dara Abu.

Back to top Go down
All down the line
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 7:33 am

Quote " I've never taken any drugs in my life but I bet nothing comes close to that feeling at the final whistle. "
There is no greater emotional high than rising from the depths of despair after the Carlow game to the intense high of Saturday evening. Plus there's no hangover/crash just a feeling of wonderful contentment with the odd fist pump of joy.
While I always felt we had the law on our side (although I'm glad we didn't have to go there) a poor performance against Mayo would have taken from our "victory" earlier in the week.
Back to top Go down
bite the pillow
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 9:39 am

My Father, God rest his soul, brought me to my first match in 1964. New dawns, false dawns, some highs, but mostly lows, were the "lot" of Kildare players and fans since that time. However, the events of this week have made me so proud to be a Lily. From the Co board statement, Cian laying his cards on the table, through to holding the line against the threat of expulsion, our spirits were lifted and the whole County was galvanised around the "NEWBRIDGE OR NOWHERE" cause. What we all knew was that we had right on our side as per the draw rules. Having won that battle it was now on to the real deal. Could the players channel the pent up emotion and energy and focus on conquering the mighty, experienced and streetwise Mayo team. We knew the talent was there (only for a few missed frees in 3 of our league games this year we would still be in Div 1) but could they deliver ? Well as they say the rest is history. Congratulations to each and every one of them. This one wasn't going to slip ! I wore my Kildare jersey again today with pride. I suppose it's time to get out the persil tablet and get it ready to go again next w-end. Can't wait !!!
Back to top Go down
Liffey Likes
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 10:10 am

Fantastic achievement by team and management. A great one for the memory bank and up there with great memories of the nineties and noughties. Beating Laois with 13 men from the 5th minute in 1997 sparked a great  era for us and hopefully this will be the catalyst for something positive.

Hard luck to a brilliant mayo team. I was a little disappointed in Aidan O S antics. I don't mind that he has developed a cynical and hard edge but he is not doing himself or his team any favours by constantly whinging to the referee. He better sticking to what he is good at.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 12:13 pm

That was some night.

It was more than just a football match from a Kildare point of view. The CCCC did us a tremendous favour. The whole county rallied behind the stance taken by the team last Monday. They were going to be in Newbridge on Saturday evening ready to perform and by god they were true to their word. I have not witnessed a Kildare support as animated or as passionate during a game in Newbridge in a long time. The team fed off the crowd and to their credit they gave us plenty to cheer about.

We've been too docile on and off the field for too long. There has been a fragility and lack of self-belief that has dogged Kildare GAA for the last few years. Tullamore five weeks ago epitomised that brittleness. We were outbattled on the field and outnumbered in the stands. Increasingly, it looks as if that match was the straw that broke the camel's back in a positive way. There was evidence in Derry and in Longford that we were showing signs of life again and the last seven days have been the perfect storm. Kildare were not going to be messed around, on and off the field. The people of Kildare responded and the outpouring of emotion at the final whistle last night was the culmination of a week that should never be forgotten.

It's probably as significant a win as any other since Micko - the quarter final win over Meath in 2010 the only other result up for debate. It has been far too long since Kildare enjoyed days like these. There are a whole generation of Kildare people who don't remember 1998 & 2000. We need that generation getting behind the white jersey. I'm sure I'm not alone in getting the sense that our identity as a county has been diluted over the last decade with the huge demographic changes. Hell we even had the Derry manager three weeks ago saying that Kildare was only "an extension of Dublin". We're as proud of our county as any Mayoman, Dub or Kerryman are of theirs. Thanks to the Kildare team and management for showcasing that pride to nation over the last week.

NEWBRIDGE OR NOWHERE!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 6:45 pm

e.s.b. wrote:
Well done all, from top to bottom a great week for Kildare, some brilliant displays yesterday. Lets try and keep the feet on the ground, some dangerous opponents lying in wait in 1 weeks time, but if we maintain and build on that performance i'll be a happy man

I'm forever saying stop losing the run of yourselves, in defeat and victory (the new manager thread looking a tad embarrassing now for example, as it was in 2008 after Wicklow, though if rumours are true, it applies as CON has a new job that will preclude him from doing this gig anyway) - but absolutely no way should the supporters of Kildare be keeping their feet on the ground after Saturday. Not obviously talking about winning the whole shebang but celebrating wildly and enjoying it like it was winning the whole shebang. A rare great day, meaningful victory against one of the very best. And if reproduced consistently, there is potential to go further. You can only go on form and right now, Kildare are on the right trajectory.

But, can they reproduce that zeal and tenacity, particularly defensively, without the cause they had last week - because while there were so many heroes all over the field, had Kildare defended as they have in the last six years, they would have been beaten. I'd say 2011 was the last time Kildare were consistently up the arses of the opposition forwards the whole way, tracked all the time, put in tackles and hits. There was intent, passion, desire - the lackadaisacal approach that was so Kildare in recent years and evident as recently as the first half against Longford was gone. That to me suggests these lads believed they only needed to turn up. Now hopefully they know this workrate should be bottom line against everyone because if you don't work, you'll be done by work. If you wanted to really measure how far you've come on since Carlow, you'd look for Fermanagh.

Anyway, ramble again. That was mighty Saturday. Enjoy it - leave the coming down off Cloud Nine to the players.

Last edited by Ogie on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Kildare V Mayo - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare V Mayo
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next