Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2011 All-Stars

Go down 
+40
learmus
TheFrenchCannotBeTrusted
carra2323
ElGuerrouj
Highball
tomcruise
shoutitout
Big Full Back
carburyman
Onhisboot
Jimmy winning matches
GaaHead
lastline
stanley
naked-lilly
Ogie
kildaregaa365
Derfil
Lily8
Botch
steviegenius
Frankel
Could'nt Trap Cement
Rex
Ohtoohtobe
centreback
Loads of Pints
champ
hawker
Come on the Boys in Blue
walsheman
Taibi
lilywhites on tour
parcel
Fear An Geata
kelf
kickingking
TommyKeegan
sean boylan
BelieveToAchieve
44 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 5:14 am

Heres one to debate lads and lassies. Can we expect any nominations or indeed winners this time round??
Back to top Go down
sean boylan
Junior A
Junior A

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 5:26 am

Mick Foley is the only one with a chance for me.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 6:50 am

Had this in another topic. My list, which will obviously change, would be as follows... Granted it'll differ hugely due to performances in final and Kerry and Dublin will probably take 10 between them and rightly so. Some positional changes to fit in best players, but as it stands 3 Dublin, 3 Kerry, 3 Kildare (we won't get that, in fact may just get one), 2 Donegal, 2 Mayo, 1 Tyrone, 1 Wexford...

1. Shane Connolly (Kildare)
2. Hugh McGrillen (Kildare)
3. Neil McGee (Donegal)
4. Marc O Se (Kerry)
5. Bryan Cullen (Dublin)
6. Karl Lacey (Donegal)
7. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
8. John Doyle (Kildare)
9. Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone)
10. Darran O'Sullivan (Kerry)
11. Ben Brosnan (Wexford)
12. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
13. Colm Cooper (Kerry)
14. Andy Moran (Mayo)
15. Alan Brogan (Dublin)
Back to top Go down

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 7:21 am

Tommy i'd hate the dubs as much as anyone but Cluxton is nailed on for the goals unless he has a taibi on Sunday. Think John Doyle our only hope at the moment. Into defence will go at least one of the dublin full back line as well as Kevin Cassidy. Cant see Seanie Kavanagh getting one either
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 7:24 am

Midfield has been very poor this year and can't see two standing up in final, which means one of Johnny or Kavanagh should get one. Cluxton cannot get another one for doing so little can he? Nothing against Dublin but for me but he is so overrated. Diving to save shots straight at you shouldn't get you an All Star and his frees have been even hit and miss. He's well down list in terms of keepers I'd have thought, behind Connolly and Durcan certainly and not all that far ahead of the Longford keeper who has had a superb year as has Hennelly in the Mayo goal.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 7:46 am

It'll be all change after the final as usual but sure it's always a good barstool debate:

1 Stephen Cluxton - Dublin

Can't think of many other stand out candidates this year (hopefully Connolly will get a deserved nomination). Cluxton deserves it for thumping Jason McAteer alone!

2 Neil McGee - Donegal
3 Rory O'Carroll - Dublin
4 Marc Ó Sé - Kerry

All three are full-backs but I think all three will be accomodated. I can't see this line changing barring an absolute abberation from either O'Carroll or Ó Sé on Sunday. Foley and McGrillen should get nominations but I can't see either getting in unfortunately.

5 Tomás Ó Sé - Kerry
6 Karl Lacey - Donegal
7 Emmet Bolton - Kildare

I think Bolton is our only genuine chance and I do think he'll get the one he missed out on last year. Hard to argue with the other two lads.

8 Anthony Maher - Kerry
9 Michael Friel - Derry

Not a lot of standout midfielders this season. I could see JD getting a nomination with the likes of Alan O'Connor but he didn't end the season like he started it. If Dublin win on Sunday one of their pair might sneak in.

10 Darran O'Sullivan - Kerry
11 Declan O'Sullivan - Kerry
12 Alan Brogan - Dublin

Hard to call it any other way on the evidence so far.

13 Colm Cooper - Kerry
14 Andy Moran - Mayo
15 Bernard Brogan - Dublin

Cooper deserves one for his display against Mayo alone. Mayo will get one after putting Cork out and Moran is their best bet. Bernard will get one because, well, he's Bernard Brogan........

6 Kerry, 4 Dublin, 2 Donegal, 1 Kildare, 1 Mayo, 1 Derry
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 7:49 am

One in and one out I'd strongly debate there Kicking King. No Paul Flynn? If he has a big final and Dublin win I'd have him close to Footballer of the Year! And Friel? Cmon, Doyle and Kavanagh missing out for a guy that had one good game?
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 7:53 am

John Doyle has to nailed on after such a brilliant year and Mick Foley close
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 7:56 am

I think Foley was our stand out player this year and have a feeling he'll be accomodated at cornerback (as the journalists and commentators seemed to be in love with him too); with McGee getting the fullback position.

Others that should get nominations would be McGrillen, Bolton and JD but although I'd love to see them recognised I wouldn't be confident of any of them getting awards this time.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 8:02 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
One in and one out I'd strongly debate there Kicking King. No Paul Flynn? If he has a big final and Dublin win I'd have him close to Footballer of the Year! And Friel? Cmon, Doyle and Kavanagh missing out for a guy that had one good game?

Calling it how I think the media will see it TK and not necessarily what I'd go with myself. Paul Flynn has had a great year but I think the two O'Sullivan's are nailed on and Alan Brogan will get one too unless they accomodate him in the full-forward line.

Friel had a good year and there will be a token nordie (6 counties rather than Donegal). I didn't see a lot of Tyrone this year I must admit but I didn't think Cavanagh was at all impressive. If you were picking an all-star team from May-June then JD would be footballer of the year but lets be honest, the great man was not at his brilliant best against Meath/Derry/Donegal and I think he'll be overlooked because of it.
Back to top Go down
parcel
Senior
Senior

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 am

I'm half a Kerry man and honestly have to say Marc o se will be lucky to get a nomination up to now... Not his best year by a long way... Maybe Flynn in for Moran with darran in the corner... Will all change Sunday tho
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 9:17 am

Mick foley will definatley get a nomination. Hopefully he gets an actuall one
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 9:23 am

umpireonditch wrote:
Tommy i'd hate the dubs as much as anyone but Cluxton is nailed on for the goals unless he has a taibi on Sunday.
There was alot of swerve on that Matt Le Tissier shot i'll have you know Smile
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 10:16 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Midfield has been very poor this year and can't see two standing up in final, which means one of Johnny or Kavanagh should get one. Cluxton cannot get another one for doing so little can he? Nothing against Dublin but for me but he is so overrated. Diving to save shots straight at you shouldn't get you an All Star and his frees have been even hit and miss. He's well down list in terms of keepers I'd have thought, behind Connolly and Durcan certainly and not all that far ahead of the Longford keeper who has had a superb year as has Hennelly in the Mayo goal.
over rated,he is class,kick out start every attack,its not his fault shots are hit straight at him,he is defo the countrys number one gaa goalie
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 3:17 pm

I hope JD gets one , and MF should get a nomination , after that lads I wouldnt care if Dublin got none , as long as they all get a Celtic Cross each , that would be enough for me cheers

On a serious note ,

1 Stephen Cluxton - Dublin
2 Neil McGee - Donegal
3 Rory O'Carroll - Dublin
4 Marc Ó Sé - Kerry
5 Tomás Ó Sé - Kerry
6 Karl Lacey - Donegal
7 Emmet Bolton - Kildare
8 Anthony Maher - Kerry
9 Michael Friel - Derry
10 Darran O'Sullivan - Kerry
11 Declan O'Sullivan - Kerry
12 Alan Brogan - Dublin
13 Colm Cooper - Kerry
14 Andy Moran - Mayo
15 Bernard Brogan - Dublin

I would agree with entire of KK prediction , pretty spot on or remarkable close
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Bernard Brogan and no Paul Flynn Vodafone????? That's going purely on reputation. Alan has to be in corner on your team to make room for Flynn. Bernard has not had a good championship. Was marked out of it against Kildare, selfish and wasteful before being taken off against Wexford, overshadowed by Connolly and Alan against Tyrone and ineffective against Donegal. The guy got his trip to the White House just because of his name when it went to Graham Canty that was All Ireland-winning captai, no way can he get an All Star this year when there's Darran O'Sullivan, Declan O'Sullivan, Colm Cooper, Paul Flynn, Alan Brogan, Diarmuid Connolly, Andy Moran, Michael Murphy, Eoin Bradley and Ben Brosnan all ahead of him for a spot on the forwards.
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Todays picks from Examiner by John Fogarty

Cluxton

Foley
McGee
M o Se

T O Se
Lacey
Nolan

Cavanagh
Sheehan

Flynn
Dec O Sullivan
Darr O Sullivan

B Brogan
A Moran
A Brogan
Back to top Go down
champ
Junior C
Junior C

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 9:00 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
Bernard Brogan and no Paul Flynn Vodafone????? That's going purely on reputation. Alan has to be in corner on your team to make room for Flynn. Bernard has not had a good championship. Was marked out of it against Kildare, selfish and wasteful before being taken off against Wexford, overshadowed by Connolly and Alan against Tyrone and ineffective against Donegal. The guy got his trip to the White House just because of his name when it went to Graham Canty that was All Ireland-winning captai, no way can he get an All Star this year when there's Darran O'Sullivan, Declan O'Sullivan, Colm Cooper, Paul Flynn, Alan Brogan, Diarmuid Connolly, Andy Moran, Michael Murphy, Eoin Bradley and Ben Brosnan all ahead of him for a spot on the forwards.
I have to disagree with you here TK, Bernard Brogan has maybe not had as good a championship as last year but he still deserves an all star. You say he was marked out of it against Kildare - it hates me to say it but he won the free and scored the winning point, not great against wexford I agree but Molloy is a good player. Against Tyrone he still score 5 points ( 4 from play) and he set up frees for Cluxton, points for Cahill, Flynn and Alan Brogan. You say he was ineffective against Donegal? Everytime he was near the ball there was 5 lads around him (that is no exaggeration - you saw the game) and he still managed to win ball that he had no right to. He won countless frees and scored them under pressure. There is no way any of them players you mentioned are ahead of him in the pecking order for the full forward line. Also - if he is to have another stormer and win man of the match in the final, which he is well capable of doing, I dont think too many people would complain(other than yourself) if he was to win Player of the Year again!
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 9:02 pm

well that is just laughable, no gooch yet a bernard brogan. cavanagh? Rolling Eyes

and if any member of the dublin HB line gets one its a joke, possibly the weakest half back line ever to reach an AIF.

Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Champ it's not just about scores, Paul Flynn is close to being football of the year yet Vodafone left him off his team for a guy that's been way, way, way off the pace. The half-back line and midfield will see little competition in the All Stars, not the forwards though and unless Bernard Brogan wins the final for his team there is absolutely no way he should get one. In fact if he has a poor game again I wouldn't give him a nomination. Clearly this is not an anti-Dublin thing because regardless of the final result I'd give Alan Brogan and Paul Flynn All Stars right now.

I've already listed the forwards that thus far have had a greater impact on the season, been more crucial to their teams and in most cases scored more and averaged more. The quality of opposition hasn't been outstanding, granted Graeme Molloy is one of the best full-backs in the country and should get an All Star nomination himself, but Bernard Brogan is there to score and regardless of what you said he hasn't been doing that. He's averged 4.5 points per game this year, including handy frees, and less than two points a game from play. That is a very poor return for a team that play a two-man full-forward line and where he is always the one given the ball to shoot. That is not All Star form considering unlike other players in the forwards he is neither a dirty ball winner or playmaker and can't kick long frees. Whereas someone like Ben Brosnan does all of those things and has scored more on a weaker team. All Stars should be based on facts, not reputations!

Back to top Go down
champ
Junior C
Junior C

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 10:36 pm

I fully agree with you about Paul Flynn and Alan Brogan, both having fine seasons. Whether they will get all stars or not will depend on how they perform in the final. The two O'Sullivan's are also in the running and whoever perofrms the best on Sunday will surely come away with all stars. Them four players will make up the guts of the half forward line.
The players you mentioned for the full forward position were Colm Cooper, Diarmuid Connolly, Andy Moran, Michael Murphy and Eoin Bradley.
Colm Cooper - class act having a super season, will win another all star.
Diarmuid Connolly - definitely not more crucial to Dublin than Brogan. Granted he did have one outstanding game, he has been substituted on more than one occasion and getting sent off in the last game ( the red card was wrongfully given but it was silly to have his hands up so high). You mentioned that Bernard's points from play average was not great, there was no chance he was going to score from play against Donegal, Dublin only got two scores from play that day and if you remember he set up both, a super flick for McManamon and a great ball across the goal for Cullens point. He won and scored 4 frees. INEFFECTIVE - i think not. To say that Connolly has contributed more than Brogan is simply not true. Brogan has been brilliant this year.
Andy Moran - super season, I hope he gets a deserved all star.
Michael Murphy, havent seen much of him other than his sending off against Cavan which should not have beem. He did make a huge impact againsy Kildare unfortunately. Deserving of an all star - im not so sure!
Eoin Bradley - good footballer but has not contributed more to his team than Bernard.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Okay, so he got his frees against Donegal and was bottled up and couldn't score in the open. But what about the other games this championship? 0-3 against Laois from open play, 0-1 against Kildare, 0-1 against Wexford and 0-4 against Tyrone. Hardly spectacular stuff and not deserving of an All Star. Unless Donnacha Walsh has massive game on Sunday, half-forward line should be O'Sullivan, Brosnan and Flynn and Alan Brogan should accommodated in the corner beside probably Gooch if he has a big game and maybe Andy Moran unless Donaghy scores 10-10 or Bernard Brogan scores about 2-6 in the open.
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 11:02 pm

ManBearPig wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:
over rated,he is class,kick out start every attack,its not his fault shots are hit straight at him,he is defo the countrys number one gaa goalie

agree manbearpig with out a shadow of doubt hes the best keeper in the land kickouts alone are so crucial to dublin or any team if they had his kickouts, as for his shot stopping i think he is a really good shot stopper not many better in the country, tommy you named connolly and durcan but these lads didnt make any great saves this year for super shot stoppers they are brilliant under the high ball but so is cluxton.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 11:04 pm

Name me a great Cluxton save this year so? Cluxton is nowhere near as good as Connolly or Durcan under the high ball and the best goalkeeping performance this season has been Sheridan v Tyrone, made some sensational saves. He is hugely overrated and has been Dublin's token All Star in quite a number of seasons!
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 11:47 pm

Jimmy white wrote:
I'm half a Kerry man and honestly have to say Marc o se will be lucky to get a nomination up to now... Not his best year by a long way... Maybe Flynn in for Moran with darran in the corner... Will all change Sunday tho

well said jimmy i think everyone is just including him in there teams because of who he is but to be honest he hasn`t had a great year he was alright in the munster final, played well in the quarter final and had one of his worst games against mayo so for me it would be an insult to the likes of o`carroll magee foley mcgrillen and higgins if he got one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2011 All-Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 All-Stars   2011 All-Stars Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2011 All-Stars
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next