Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mayo V Kildare

Go down 
+43
intheback
OutTheGap
Cilldara_2000
reichenhall
jj
jemser
spot on
kildaregaa365
rob11
Ogie
TommyKeegan
lilywhites on tour
murof
shoutitout
jim
Ohtoohtobe
Kildare98
jimmers
Botch
if_in_doubt
Onhisboot
lilysavage
Big Full Back
tomoneillandhissisteranne
moatesports
johnsmyth
Fear An Geata
flourman
Xavi
Gaa1928
Lily8
Rex
Taibi
Shergar
topcat
Jimmy winning matches
kickingking
ixus
SeamusMurphy
Caprea
inexile
KILL BILL
MD
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
rob11
Senior
Senior

Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 7:51 am

murof wrote:
On their best form that Mayo team would destroy us. Lets hope they are in serious decline and don't have the stomach for a fight anymore. I think our best hope is to really have a go at them and put up a decent score. If we try to play defensively I really fear for us.

Yes but that Mayo team are nowhere near their best at the moment and like us they are struggling with what system to use. I'M not expecting us to win but I think we can certainly put it up to them.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 8:36 am

I can't believe that padraig o Neill does not get a mention
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 6:06 pm

Lads I noticed Eanna O'Connor isn't listed as a panel member - has he left the panel?
Back to top Go down
spot on
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 6:22 pm

enna o connor finished with kildare back with moorefield,ryan houlihan still dropped.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 8:10 pm

He was tagged out v westmeath
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 10:39 pm

What happened houly ?

Looks like it's back to the defensive system looking at that team.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 11:49 pm

Dermot Earley on newstalk he right Dublin have a golden generation but I'n a couple of years time with good planning and the right underage structure in place Kildare should be next in line to challenge and beat them
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 12:38 am

There's been an awful lot of crap in the media about Dublin's unbeatable underage structures.

Con O'Callaghan is the only outstanding player they've produced in the last few years.

When the Jim Gavin era passes, that's our chance. I saw an interview with Ciaran Whelan a while back. He keeps a keen eye on Dublin development squads and he said, realistically, the next wave of players isn't as good - hence our success at minor. We have to be ready when the time comes - although god knows Kildare have rarely been guilty of long-term planning.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 12:43 am

It was Westmeath we needed to be beating, not Dublin.

Anyhow best of luck to the Kildare team today and safe travelling to everyone. Just about to hit the road. Hoping to see a good performance with plenty of heart and spirit.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 12:45 am

I didn't realise daryl flynn was still on the panel.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 3:27 am

What I was saying was Kildare at underage are going better than the rest in Leinster it's building blocks time for senior team we need patience and it will happen
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 5:36 am

An absolute mess.
Back to top Go down
jemser
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 5:42 am

You can blame management all you want but the decision making of the players is absolutely retarded,we must have some of the thickest inter county players in the country
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 5:44 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
An absolute mess.

Or a vastly superior team exerting their superiority. Like Belgium vs Ireland in the euros. Anyone who thought we had a chance in this game was deluded. Look at the players they have. Look at what we have. Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 5:50 am

Caprea wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:
An absolute mess.

Or a vastly superior team exerting their superiority. Like Belgium vs Ireland in the euros. Anyone who thought we had a chance in this game was deluded. Look at the players they have. Look at what we have. Nuff said.

Wandering down blind alleys into groups of defenders with no way out isn't down to the opposition, rather our decision making. Was just that which led to the first goal and the collapse, but doing it cost us over and over before that. I thought we were going to kick the ball more this year, and we might as well as we'd at least be trying to move it quickly/ The slow hand-pass game is advantageous for teams when you don't give it away but we hand-pass, run straight into trouble and turn it over. And in modern football the turnover is absolutely disastrous as you can't set your defence and the best teams get goals, like Dublin, Kerry, Mayo etc.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 5:54 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Caprea wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:
An absolute mess.

Wandering down blind alleys into groups of defenders with no way out isn't down to the opposition, rather our decision making. Was just that which led to the first goal and the collapse, but doing it cost us over and over before that. I thought we were going to kick the ball more this year, and we might as well as we'd at least be trying to move it quickly/ The slow hand-pass game is advantageous for teams when you don't give it away but we hand-pass, run straight into trouble and turn it over. And in modern football the turnover is absolutely disastrous as you can't set your defence and the best teams get goals, like Dublin, Kerry, Mayo etc.

In my view, a kicking game with that bad of a ball winning full forward line would be as stupid.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 5:55 am

Maybe, just don't see in playing a game where the main reward is keeping possession when we can't keep it because of the most frustrating blindness of players, can they not see what they are running into?!
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 6:19 am

Much better and more direct this half, midfield cleaning them out which makes this score more frustrating still. Johnny Byrne been good too as has Dowling off the bench. A lot down to Mayo easing up too, but still, any positives and all that. One sidenote though, Mayo's forwards are 100 times the tacklers our backs are.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 7:21 am

Fionn Dowling take a bow, much more positive approach in the second half at least. Same old mistakes cost us but may as well try and take the positives from that display. Roll on the O'Byrne Cup.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 7:25 am

The number of Mayo scores in the first half that came direct from our turnovers was shocking. Time after time we carried the ball into contact and lost it needlessly. It was over after the 2-3 Mayo blast in those 10 first half minutes.

Better performance in the second half but as alluded to above that was partly due to Mayo taking the foot off the pedal. The diagonal ball was tried quite a few times but it looked like it hadn't been practiced much as more often than not we lost possession from it.

A few decent performances - Fionn Dowling, Kevin Feely and Fergal Conway probably the stand-outs. Again, Niall Kelly for such a good player didn't get involved enough and I feel he should be demanding the ball far more than be does. Get him involved and he brings the players around him into the game.

Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 7:26 am

Shot selection was awful. Hand passing for the sake of it to a fella beside ya, shocking. Some of those fellas I hate to say are not willing to put their body on the line, and were pulling out.
Feely has improved and credit to fionn who gets a lot of stick.
Anyway another campaign over.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 8:14 am

Can take plenty of positives from that today. We need a bew fullbackline next year . Maybe move Doyle in there and hope we can find another player to go in there. Hyland could move out to halfbackline. Fitzpatrick not up to it. Few under 21s to come in and hopefully Cribbin and Flynn. Also possibility that we could get the two Aussies back so plenty of hope. Best of luck to the minors tmoro.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 8:39 am

Probably our best performance of the year and we get beaten by 9pts. Some encouraging performances to take away. Hopefully get all our main players on the pitch together early next year and kick on.
Can't help but think a few decent wins in div 2 would transform the mentality within the team. I think a lot of our errors can be attributed to lack of confidence and fear rather than our playing ability. At least that's what I hope.
Strangely upbeat after a 9pt defeat all in all. Mayo were no more than 4 pts better than us tonight
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 9:07 am

Until we lift the shackles completely at underage and start winning All Irelands we'll never fully compete with the big teams. OK we have had relative success given our pedigree at minor level the last number of years lifting a few Leinster titles but really if we're happy and content with that then we'll never really progress and have any confidence in ourselves or our ability.  We had a cracking u21 team a few years ago, I believe the best in the country that year and I think we were outdone by out own self confidence and lack of any meaningful tradition.

Someone said earlier that we seemed to lack confidence , well why would we not. No one on that our team has really has achieved anything worthwhile at this level. We travelled down to the home of 5 in a row connacht champions,  beaten All Ireland Finalists in 2012 and 13. Current u21 final winners who also won minors in 2013. Realistically how could we expect anything other than what we got today.

We need a massive massive change in mindset in the county. Our sense of entitlement is 2nd to none.  Until we start regularly competing at underage and lifting an All Ireland here and there along the way we're really need to alter our expectations.

We also need to blood some new defenders, particularly in the corner and full back positions . I looked at Mayo and I see an unbelievable tenacity and will to win in their defending and willingness to tackle and disposess and I just dont see that in us. Even Mayo's forwards tackling was better than our best defenders. It's something that really needs to be addressed.

There are some positives however. Young lads like Feely Hyland Moolick Conway Doyle Flynn have shown well, Niall Kelly has it but was hampered by injury  . We need to bring some more through because the older lads are battle weary at this stage and some don't have the legs any more . An interesting couple of years ahead for O Neill,  I'd certainly give him the 2 and reassess at the end.

If I was a school teacher assessing O Neill on his year in school it would be "Could do better".
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 9:13 am

Agreed JJ, exactly my thoughts, scoreline somewhat flattering for Mayo, some signs of promise for the future, disasterous defending though, playing open football is the only way forward.......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mayo V Kildare
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next