Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mayo V Kildare

Go down 
+43
intheback
OutTheGap
Cilldara_2000
reichenhall
jj
jemser
spot on
kildaregaa365
rob11
Ogie
TommyKeegan
lilywhites on tour
murof
shoutitout
jim
Ohtoohtobe
Kildare98
jimmers
Botch
if_in_doubt
Onhisboot
lilysavage
Big Full Back
tomoneillandhissisteranne
moatesports
johnsmyth
Fear An Geata
flourman
Xavi
Gaa1928
Lily8
Rex
Taibi
Shergar
topcat
Jimmy winning matches
kickingking
ixus
SeamusMurphy
Caprea
inexile
KILL BILL
MD
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 7:39 pm

I am not sure we can implement the defensive system, regardless of how severe it us. Look back at some of Offaly's early scores for example. Their second point, we had three on two back for a 50-50 ball forward yet Emmet Bolton as the extra man took himself out of the play by getting completely positionally lost and ending up yards in front of where it lands. Their third point, we had 14 men in our own half yet they played a ball from the middle down the middle into the acres of spaces in front of the full-forward, he turned and popped over. For their fourth point, a lumped ball into the corner had Peter Kelly lose it over his had and by the time he recovered the man who got it on the stand side of him was inside of him. Their sixth point was from a free that came about because we touched it on the ground after a woeful hand-pass of about six feet under limited pressure. Then when the pressure came on in the second-half, their goal was from us overplaying it, their 13th point was a bad kickout as either Donnellan is too slow or the outfielders don't know the system in July, their 14th point came from a position here we had four defenders on their scorer and three chances to clear. On top of that there's a fear of putting boot to ball when we get cornered coming out of defence and there are men clear across the field in endless room. Offaly firstly couldn't profit from that and secondly cannot defend, whatever you say about Mayo they will profit with goals as they are faster, stronger and more ruthless, plus they can defend!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 9:07 pm

Which is short for we're f*cked.
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 9:56 pm

Rex wrote:

I'm not expecting a win. I am expecting us to compete. I am expecting us to leave everything out on the field and for the players to give it a really good shot.

All I want from Kildare football, management and players at all levels is that they make best use of what we have available to us.

If you die with your boots on, you cannot ask anymore. Sometimes you are beaten by a better team and there is no shame in that. Clare, Wexford and Westmeath were all shameful. Lets hope this isn't a repeat of same.

On the defending, If you put Peter Kelly, Fitzpatrick and Ollie beside most corner forwards in the country on the end line and both to sprint to the 45 in a race you will not find any of the 3 wanting for pace against almost anyone and even at that they wont be left standing. The problem is not pace, it's our defenders ability to read the game and anticipate whats happening in front of them. It's something that really needs to be worked on.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 10:33 pm

Who else is sensing one of our favourite type of results in Kildare... the moral victory!

Re defending - leaving aside systems, our full back line are nowhere near tight enough for my liking. Even with the kings of blanket defending, Donegal, they had a pair of absolute animals in the full back in the McGee brothers. McGuinness said his in his book that he suspected that Eamon had actually scared guys on the field and I can well believe him.

When you're playing an attacking style, it becomes even more paramount. Obviously I hate Dublin and Kilkenny, but you have to admire the manner the way Jim Gavin and Brian Cody insist that their defenders win their man to man battles. You better your direct opponent or you're sitting on the fucking sideline. It helps when you have such an extensive array of talent but it pays to be ruthless.

Anyway, when we play the blanket, it's like some kind of inverse of Tyrone / Donegal. I was at the first league game v Down last year and for one of their attacks in the first half, we got the entire 15 men behind the ball. Result? They scored. Honest to god - they scored.

You'd wonder how managers aren't carried by men in white coats half the time (and I'm not talking about umpires).
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 10:56 pm

' Win the physical battle, then win the mental battle and then our football ability will win us the match ' has always been my mantra.

However as someone has previously stated you have to have the players capable of achieving the above against Mayo, not sure we have at this moment and time.

I am going to be optimistic and say we will still be in the game entering the last 10 minutes and who knows what might happen then.

All the above is based on not playing a very defensive system.

Cill Dara Ubu.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 11:50 pm

Rex wrote:

Very good lol!

Galway beat mayo in castlebar, fermanagh were a tad unlucky not to inflict the same... if our fellas can be positive and have a bit of belief in themselves why can't we beat them ?. If we approach it negatively then we're in big bother.. and I know it's not as simple as that.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 10:00 am

Id taje a moral victory now
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 5:36 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Rex wrote:

Very good lol!

Galway beat mayo in castlebar,  fermanagh were a tad unlucky not to inflict the same... if our fellas can be positive and have a bit of belief in themselves why can't we beat them  ?. If we approach it negatively then we're in big bother.. and I know it's not as simple as that.

You left out Kildare's results / performances in that equation. And if Kildare have cause for optimism despite the average defending against Offaly, by virtue of showing guts and determination to dog it out after a dreadful loss, doesn't the same apply to Mayo after being six points down against Fermanagh, whose results and form under Pete McGrath are much superior to Offaly's. And if Mayo are slightly rehabilitated as Kildare are, haven't they just been in a completely different planet for the past three years?

That's not to say it won't happen and Kildare can definitely get scores. But I'd be very concerned by the defence without the sweepers. I would definitely play the two extra defenders + beg them not to give away so many silly frees + to maintain the concentration that has seen them concede some very poor goals. It's about pace and intent and energy with the ball then. But you've got to be still in the game with 50 minutes to go.

To be fair, I'd have probably said the same before Offaly. I'm told that game gave them a real infusion, that the buzz was good after. But then it was after the Cork game last year too. Fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 5:40 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Brilliant article from Darragh O Se and if he thinks Roscommon and Galway were afraid he should have seen us against Westmeath.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-fear-doing-football-more-harm-than-defensive-systems-ever-will-1.2719455

I'd love to see us be a bit different. I'm not saying we have to go man for man and leave acres of space in our own half - by all means get extra bodies back when we don't have it.

But I do mean I'd love to see us go for the throat when we have the ball. For the first time in my life, we have a heap of forwards coming in the next few years who are capable of it.

You can do that AND be defensively sound though O2. The massive obvious problem has been the lack of movement and support for the player in possession, the absence of runners - one jogging instead of three sprinting off either shoulder, no-one taking defenders for a walk inside, no creation of space.

The thing is, even when there are numbers back, Kildare are still conceding dreadful frees. And the comedy of errors goal is happening a bit too regularly too.

Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 7:44 pm

Fingers toes and everything else crossed as usual Ogie... I suppose I was trying to look for any bit of positivity that can be gained.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 10:58 pm

This goes back to the league and the management not deciding to implement this system from day 1, this would have given us some hope of being familiar with it come championship.

What it would also have done is given the players the necessary belief that it would work as it is now, the players don't believe in it as evidenced by our first two performances against Wexford and Westmeath, this leaves us with the situation, go with a defensive system the players don't believe in or go at Mayo with the distinct possibility of getting hammered.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 12:00 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Fingers toes and everything else crossed as usual Ogie... I suppose I was trying to look for any bit of positivity that can be gained.

No, you're right Seamus. As a supporter, you need that and I get it of course. If Mayo make no progress and are a basket case and haven't recovered, and Kildare have improved, there's a chance.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 2:30 am

Good luck to the lads on Saturday evening. Up the Lilies!
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 2:50 am

Ok, here goes, I think that the seniors will lose by the same amount that the minors win by.   Work that one out. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 3:31 am

Minors by 7. Basketball
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 4:32 am

Kildare to win .............. with the 7 point head start from the bookies. As for the real game, don't know what to expect but I'm optimistic about our chances because of Mayo's own issues.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 4:40 am

Tyrell is out and Lyons is doubtful.. no left footer for frees, it's a concern.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 6:11 am

Mayo (SFC v Kildare): David Clarke; Brendan Harrison, Kevin Keane, Keith Higgins; Lee Keegan, Colm Boyle, Patrick Durcan; Seamus O'Shea, Donal Vaughan; Kevin McLoughlin, Aidan O’Shea, Diarmuid O'Connor; Evan Regan, Andy Moran, Cillian O’Connor
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 6:18 am

There is an alternative left footer for frees if hes chosen in the starting 15 - Fionn Dowling
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 6:33 am

Lily8 wrote:
There is an alternative left footer for frees if hes chosen in the starting 15 - Fionn Dowling

Aye
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 6:39 am

On their best form that Mayo team would destroy us. Lets hope they are in serious decline and don't have the stomach for a fight anymore. I think our best hope is to really have a go at them and put up a decent score. If we try to play defensively I really fear for us.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 6:52 am

Sums it up murof
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 6:53 am

Lily8 wrote:

Think I'd prefer frank dowling
Sorry that's a bit harsh. Apologies
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 7:35 am

Kildare team

Donnellan, Fitzpatrick, Hyland, Lyons, Byrne, Doyle, Bolton, Moolick, Feely, M O'Flaherty, Conway, E O'Flaherty, McNally, Kelly, Flynn

2 changes - Fitzpatrick for Kelly and E O'Flaherty for Tyrell
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 7:39 am

Bench
McNamara, Kelly, O'Donoghue, Dowling, Smith, Healy, Callaghan, Murnaghan, O'Neill, K Cribben, Dar. Flynn

Tyrell, Dan Flynn and P Cribben all injured
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mayo V Kildare
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next