Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mayo V Kildare

Go down 
+43
intheback
OutTheGap
Cilldara_2000
reichenhall
jj
jemser
spot on
kildaregaa365
rob11
Ogie
TommyKeegan
lilywhites on tour
murof
shoutitout
jim
Ohtoohtobe
Kildare98
jimmers
Botch
if_in_doubt
Onhisboot
lilysavage
Big Full Back
tomoneillandhissisteranne
moatesports
johnsmyth
Fear An Geata
flourman
Xavi
Gaa1928
Lily8
Rex
Taibi
Shergar
topcat
Jimmy winning matches
kickingking
ixus
SeamusMurphy
Caprea
inexile
KILL BILL
MD
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 1:56 am

One sure positive is that Joe McQuillan will not be refereeing next week.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 2:21 am

Mayo are playing us on Saturday for a reason. From looking at their performances this year they are no where near the level they were at. They are definitely vulnerable and would get nowhere near Dublin or Kerry.

Decent time to play them as all the pressure is on them. Time is running out for that group of players.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 2:27 am

Rex wrote:

Decent time to play them as all the pressure is on them. Time is running out for that group of players.

I don't see that to be honest, how many of their starters are more then 30, Keith Higgins only? It's clear there is a problem there likely to be related to the management team but in terms of the players they have, I can't see anything but a routine Mayo win.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 2:34 am

Had a look for accommodation for Saturday night.. looks like I'll be sleeping rough.

We're up against it alright, but Longford showed what can be achieved if the belief is there.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 4:00 am

Very unfair on Kildare mayo Saturday night minor final in Dublin Sunday need to be printing money
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 4:08 am

Caprea wrote:
Rex wrote:

I don't see that to be honest, how many of their starters are more then 30, Keith Higgins only? It's clear there is a problem there likely to be related to the management team but in terms of the players they have, I can't see anything but a routine Mayo win.

I wouldn't be coming from the perspective of age, more of the amount and type of defeats they have had. We have seen it all to recently with a lot of our own lads. They are relatively still young or at their peak but just are broken by hard to take losses. Another one or two for this Mayo squad and I think it will break them to.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 6:41 am

Fear An Geata wrote:
Taibi wrote:
Not a great draw but going on their performance on Saturday against Fermanagh, you wouldn't be running scared of them.

Don't ever remember playing Mayo in the championship, must be a while ago. Any of the old fogies know?

http://www.the42.ie/kildare-mayo-1935-2872490-Jul2016/?utm_source=shortlink

Great footage - looks like an almost different sport.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 8:30 am

Round 3B - Elverys MacHale Park, Castlebar
19:00hrs
Mayo V Kildare

Referee: Derek O Mahoney
Broadcasting on Sky Sports
Extra Time if Necessary
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 5:37 pm

Any word on the fitness of p cribben and Dan flynn ?.

P Kelly might struggle to keep his place, although as other's have said, we do have a very limited panel.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 5:43 pm

Can see a dired up O Se doing a bit of damage against us. He destroyed a weak Sligo full backline last year and i dont know if we have anyone to mark him. Hes twice the width of Hylo . Kelly mught be better option but not the tallest.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 5:43 pm

Can see a fired up O Se doing a bit of damage against us. He destroyed a weak Sligo full backline last year and i dont know if we have anyone to mark him. Hes twice the width of Hylo . Kelly mught be better option but not the tallest.
Back to top Go down
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 6:32 pm

Think thats a great draw for us, nothing to lose, hopefully get a big support to travel down and get behind the lads
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 8:13 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Any word on the fitness of p cribben and Dan flynn  ?.

P Kelly might struggle to keep his place, although as other's have said, we do have a very limited panel.

Cribbin is out long term and won't be back this year. He only had an operation there the other day. Not sure what the story is with Dan Flynn.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 8:40 pm

Just looking there at the draw for rest of Championship. We have five games to win and given which pot we are in and also the fact we cannot meet Westmeath the likely patch will be

Mayo (away), Donegal, Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone...no hassle!

Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Lily8 wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:
Any word on the fitness of p cribben and Dan flynn  ?.

Cribbin is out long term and won't be back this year.

Compromise Rules my arse -
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 9:36 pm

Team wise how are we looking.

I think Peter Kelly is struggling big time and Fitzpatrick did well when he came in. I'd also move him to full back as O'Shea when not swan diving may be too physical for Hyland.
Another change I would make would be Smith for McNally. McNally's pace could be used better coming in with 20 to go.

Donnellan
Hyland
Fitzpatrick
Lyons
Bolton
Doyle
Byrne
Moolick
Conway
Morgan
Eoghan
Feeley
Smith
Kelly
Flynn
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 9:43 pm

I think we will be close to them in points scored however this is a huge step up from anybody we have played this year to date and I fear we could be undone by goals.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 9:53 pm

Lyons went off injured last week, is he a definite starter this week?
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 10:05 pm

I think it might be worth looking at putting somebody like Byrne or even Conway on O'Shea. He's big and he's mobile but he's not exactly McManus or O'Donoghue when it comes to beating his man for pace or peeling away into space.

I don't think there's a need to make too many changes from the last day. I'd be inclined to start McNally again as the Mayo half back line love to get forward and as much of a benefit his pace could be in the last half hour, it'll be badly need to track back.

It's going to be a massive test, Mayo have hardly impressed this year but they've enough players capable of racking up a big score if they're in the mood.

More importantly there's a quaint B&B in Islandeady in for a rude awakening in the early hours of Sunday morning...
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 10:46 pm

Lads we need to up our game against Mayo big time. Lets not kid ourselves. They are not playing their best but even at that would be considered raging hot favourites. Best chance is to keep in the game until the last 10 minutes. If we can do that I think they may have more doubts. And more importantly if we are in teh game with 10 to go WE NEED TO GO FOR IT. Not just stay to the system.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 11:29 pm

I reckon cian will go back to the system, feck those two words are used more than fiscal space , and becoming as annoying.. love to see us having a go, but I doubt we will.
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 5:44 am

If he returns to the defensive system its an absolute cop out. I dont understand why managers seem to think that because Donegal perfected it and won an All Ireland with it that everyone can do the same. The fact of the matter is that the Donegal winners from 2012 were a special bunch of players with a special manager. It was the perfect fit. The fact is that most teams in the country now do not have the likes of the Mcgee brothers, runners like Thompson and Lacey and quality forwards like Murphy, ,Mcbearty and Mcfadden. They perfected the transition from defence to attack because they had the players to do it but we dont and all were doing by playing this way is attempting not to humiliate ourselves on the pitch. Defeatist from the start. Donegal knew they could counter attack to win games and had confidence in what they were doing. I dont believe any other county attempting to implement this system believe in what is being asked of them. We need to go out on Saturday and give Mayo an absolute rattle, play on their fragility and seize our opportunity. The likes of Flynn, Kelly and EOF have the ability to put up big individual scores, we need to give them the opportunity to do this by playing to their strengths. In many ways GAA is such a simple game that gets completely over complicated by tactics and systems.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 6:06 am

MD wrote:
If he returns to the defensive system its an absolute cop out. I dont understand why managers seem to think that because Donegal perfected it and won an All Ireland with it that everyone can do the same. The fact of the matter is that the Donegal winners from 2012 were a special bunch of players with a special manager. It was the perfect fit. The fact is that most teams in the country now do not have the likes of the Mcgee brothers, runners like Thompson and Lacey and quality forwards like Murphy, ,Mcbearty and Mcfadden. They perfected the transition from defence to attack because they had the players to do it but we dont and all were doing by playing this way is attempting not to humiliate ourselves on the pitch. Defeatist from the start. Donegal knew they could counter attack to win games and had confidence in what they were doing. I dont believe any other county attempting to implement this system believe in what is being asked of them. We need to go out on Saturday and give Mayo an absolute rattle, play on their fragility and seize our opportunity. The likes of Flynn, Kelly and EOF have the ability to put up big individual scores, we need to give them the opportunity to do this by playing to their strengths. In many ways GAA is such a simple game that gets completely over complicated by tactics and systems.

+1
Completely agree. People seem to forget that while Donegal perfected the defensive style they still had excellent runners and forwards up front. We need to play to our own strengths. The best way we can try cause problems for Mayo is to attack. If we sit back it's basically inviting them to attack us and if that happens we still won't be able to keep them out so may as well play the way that suits out players, try to get our own scores and give it a good rattle.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 7:10 am

Lily8 wrote:
MD wrote:

+1
Completely agree. People seem to forget that while Donegal perfected the defensive style they still had excellent runners and forwards up front. We need to play to our own strengths. The best way we can try cause problems for Mayo is to attack. If we sit back it's basically inviting them to attack us and if that happens we still won't be able to keep them out so may as well play the way that suits out players, try to get our own scores and give it a good rattle.

+2
We failed miserably to implement the defensive system against two division 4 teams - we lost to one and beat the other by one point (only scoring 9!). The players looked totally uncomfortable with it. I accept we need to adapt our style gradually to become more competitive against the top teams but not to the extent that we neutralise the parts of the game we are actually good at.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 8:57 am

Jim McGuinness's article in the Irish Times today is so, so right - and we are among the counties most culpable of what he is talking about.

What we saw against Wexford and Westmeath was a dire imitation of Donegal at their zenith - badly coached and badly played. The masters of the defensive, counter-attacking system are Tyrone and Donegal and we were so far off the standard it would be laughable if it wasn't so utterly galling.

I think it also sticks in the collective Kildare craw - and again McGuinness addresses this - that we are going out against those counties and abandoning the traditions of Kildare football. The archetypal Kildare players I grew up loving were Martin Lynch, Niall Buckley, Anthony Rainbow, Eddie McCormack, John Doyle - stylish players who loved to attack and take the game to the opposition.

Yes, defensive solidity is paramount but the first two championship displays were a travesty of Kildare football at its best. Thankfully, the Offaly game was more like it and our underage team still prioritise flair and panache over Monaghan/Cavan-style dour defensive crap.

Now, that I've got rant out of my system - the Mayo game. I don't like saying this and obviously hope I'm totally wrong - I was about the Offaly game - but to me this match already has the horrible feel of a missed opportunity.

If we'd nailed down a definite gameplan and the team was playing with real conviction, I believe Mayo are vulnerable in this game. I watched the Fermanagh game - the Mayo sweeper system is a shambles and the chronic choking tendencies are still there. Also it was an absolutely scandalous penalty decision that won for them in the end.

We played with far greater intensity and belief v Offaly, and some of the attacking play was outstanding, but defensively we are still not right. It is so frustrating that we are still addressing this basic stuff in the middle of July - systems and tactics should have been nailed down months ago.

I saw enough looseness against Offaly to convince me that if Mayo get good ball into O'Connor and O'Shea, and support them with their marauding half back line (best in country along with Dublin), they can seriously carve us open.

And I'll be honest - I think if Mayo get that attacking strategy right and build a decent lead early, this could actually get ugly. Maybe not as bad as Dublin and Kerry last year, but distinctly un-pretty.

Again, I hope I'm wrong but O'Neill has spent all year tinkering with different systems and I still don't think he's nailed down one that really works. This is not the position you want to be in going in against a team who, despite their poor form this year, have been inches from an All Ireland these past few seasons.

I'm erring on the side of pessimism - that's being a Kildare supporter for you - but I have feeling we may be looking to the minors for another pick-me-up on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mayo V Kildare   Mayo V Kildare - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mayo V Kildare
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next