Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Meath

Go down 
+35
Cilldara_2000
Lily8
Gaa1928
Big Full Back
bigball
OutTheGap
Fizzer
Dinny Breen
Borderline
jim
lilysavage
moatesports
Xavi
learmus
sarsno1
Captain1928
lilywhites on tour
kickingking
white boy
kildaregaa365
Taibi
jj
Flamingo
flourman
Highball
Ogie
Jimmy winning matches
murof
Rex
Shergar
shoutitout
jimmers
MD
SeamusMurphy
Kildare98
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 08, 2017 12:50 am

Ogie you are dead right about the underage development and I really believe we need to keep it going until we make the senior breakthrough. That's why I hope people get out and support the minors against Dublin next month as well - would be another huge boost to beat them again. Believe me, all these wins count. Really develops players and gives them great belief in themselves.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 08, 2017 9:29 am

So true re underage. Also even though these lads are young they don't shrink at the sight of a Dublin jersey and that's a great winning mentality to bring in.
I think ourselves and Meath are building nicely but we gave so much more time for lads to peak.
Also we seem to talk about the pace if Wallace, OSullivan and Reilly's ability. If N Flynn comes back we have him, Healy and Dowling to come in as impact on top of potentially Brophy.
Thats our bench and those lads all bring sonething different.
Conway sitting in at 6 would do me grand and then Doyle drops a few mire yards back to hold the middle.
Both teams have come on a lot and we are rightly exoecting a belter!

Last edited by Flamingo on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 08, 2017 9:53 am

Strongly believe that we have the better players in most areas but like so many the obvious concern is being got at down the middle with runners. If we can manage that potential issue we'll win . Really think some of these Meath players are being blown up out of all proportion.
It's a massive game for us in this teams development. It would give us the edge on Meath for future years whilst also building our confidence and in the process allowing us to pit ourselves against Dublin which is what these lads surely want. I really believe a couple of big game wins could transform this team into something pretty serious for the next few years.
No better time to start lads .....
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 08, 2017 10:03 am

Agree with the above. The potential in this group is massive and with McCormack, Flynn and Brophy to return you can't help but feel excited. No better man, in my opinion, than O'Neill to guide them. He's very honest which is refreshing, not afraid to admit his mistakes either (Westmeath last year).

I'd like to see Brophy in from the start in place of Slattery. That Meath full-back line and keeper are very suspect.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 08, 2017 10:26 am

I know on one hand its so early for Brophy but as I said earlier he cant be compared to the other ex-AFL lads as he was more established than any of them before he left.
As the year progresses he is a big man to have in the corner and another ball winner with D Flynn.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 08, 2017 9:34 pm

Yeah, the underage needs to be worked on and kept going forever. And it's when you're winning that you need to nearly redouble your efforts, cash in on the profile. Laois took their eye off the ball - thought it would happen organically, with minor, U21 All-Irelands and that Leinster. Cork did the same at hurling - believed in the mushrooms thing. Paid a heavy, heavy price. Of course Cork football showed that good underage structures and players aren't absolutely everything - but that's a whole other day's work.

Agree on Brophy in that he was established when he left - but he still missed two and half years of football. The big issue about not parachuting him straight back in though is that he's only just back in the panel. But come the Meath game, he will have been in over a month, it's not like he is behind in terms of conditioning, so if he's showing well - and by all accounts he is - he will be in the 20. And before the campaign is over, he will be in the 15. A huge boost, and to have that physical option in the attacking half of the pitch, is a massive boost.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 08, 2017 10:30 pm

I hope I am not losing the run of myself but I was thinking back to Mayo Cork in the 2011 quarter final. Mayo were 4/1 Cork were all Ireland champs. Mayo had a young team and laid a marker that day. the profile of their team then reminds me of our team now. Hopefully we can have a landmark mentality transforming win this campaign to give that confidence to drive on like that Cork victory did for Mayo. I don't think beating Meath would be that victory but it would be equivalent to Mayo winning the Connacht that year!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 1:04 am

Nice dream umpire but let's hold the horses. We've only beaten an abject Laois after another no show in the big house against Galway. Steady as she goes. Potential is all it is so far.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 1:22 am

kildaregaa365 wrote:
Nice dream umpire but let's hold the horses. We've only beaten an abject Laois after another no show in the big house against Galway. Steady as she goes. Potential is all it is so far.

Without a doubt 365 but it's hard not to think that IF we do manage to get a big game win that it could accelerate this teams progression.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 3:55 am

This is a big game as everyone is saying for both teams. Things go well and it gives a massive lift.
I think, which is great to see, that neutrals are looking forward to the game as well. I think it's an Irish thing about how we are seen outside our county or country borders.
I just like the fact that we are relevant again and that we are actually of interest again.
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 7:56 am

Just on the meath fans foram. It all about how much they are going to win 5 or 6 points. Am I missing something here,have they set the gaa world alight at under age or senior in the last 10 years. The only thing I remember is them robbing Louth out of a Leinster rugby style over the goal line. They have a chance like us 50/50 I hope we stick it to them the league game was a fluke I know it won't be like that this time. You wonder who won the league game the way the go on .
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Meath have no respect for us. Never have. There in for some shock next weekend
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Took my first wander onto the Meath HS forum for a few years there and a few observations:
1. They're similar to us in arrogantly thinking they've the better players. We'll see on Saturday
2. Wallace seems unlikely to keep his place. Poor against Louth apparently
3. Their full back line is seen as their weakest line. Mickey Burke is still in there - wow. Cian should get Paddy Brophy in there without a second thought in my view. Either for McNally (harsh) or Slattery.
4. They hate Tullamore as it has bad memories for them. Drew with Carlow and lost to Laois there.
They think only Meath can give Dubs a run for their money in the next few years in Leinster.

Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 11:05 pm

That certainly adds nicely to the options
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 11:49 pm

Interning interview given by Andy McEntee to the Meath Chronicle.

"Kildare and Meath is always a huge battle," said McEntee. "Kildare have enjoyed a lot of underage success in recent years and have a few stylish players. However, we adhere strongly to the traditional style of Meath football - bogging the ball from 70 yards into the full forward line and systematic tactical fouling. Hopefully that will be enough. If not myself and Gerry can always run in and skelp a few Kildare lads when the ref isn't looking."
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 7:00 am

" a man should know himself like the palm of his hand, know the exact number of his defects and qualities, know how far he can go, foretell his failures - be what he is. And, above all, accept these things."
Albert Camus

Sounds like McEntee is there already..
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 7:07 am

Come on lads it's all very quiet. Galway v Mayo really whetted my appetite for our game. What are thoughts on the team Cian should select? For me 1 to 12 couldn't change but Conway needs to be back shielding more. I'd like to see Brophy Flynn and Slattery in the FF line assuming N Flynn wont be quite ready. I know McNally did really well v Laois but I think we can get goals against that Meath FB line and Slatts is more likely to get them. Brophy should play all day long particularly if they've Burke in there. Total mismatch and give them a serious question to answer in addition to Daniel's pace.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 7:32 am

1-12 is nailed on, no real discussion there. If Brophy is ready to go I'd like to see a two man full forward line of himself and Flynn. That would allow us to drop another back in beside Doyle to plug that area. We would then have McNally and Slattery with the possibility of N. Flynn to come into attack late on and use their pace to go at that suspect Meath full back line. However I 'd say Cian will stick with the traditional set up and not change a winning team. The introduction of Brophy and again if fit Flynn could see us over the line.

If we can secure the centre that will go along way to a Leinster final. I think Meath have only one way to play. If we can nullify their running game we will win. That's why the two man inside could see us do a lot of damage. Brophy or Flynn versus Burke could be carnage.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 8:48 am

Paidi O'Se was a Camus fan - not even joking!

Anyway, speaking of existential questions - who to play in full forward line. Neil Flynn I'd imagine is a 15-20 minute option. Brophy is surely pushing hard for a starting spot. In any case, don't think there's any way they'll name him in the team during the week. Seeing him start on the day might be nice little surprise for Meath defence.

McNally's good but he's not a corner forward - his game is all about getting on the ball facing the goal and running at defences. But we'll see... I'm hoping if we tie down Meath attack - as Rex says they are pretty one-dimensional - our greater variety upfront will do it for us.

We have a top class playmaker in Kelly, Cribbin to take people on, and Flynn as an excellent target man, who also has explosive pace and offers a real scoring threat. Plus N Flynn and Brophy to come in.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 8:51 am

I think a two-man inside line wouldn't be good, because Mickey Bourke realistically wants to be running around out the field. I think, unless there is some serious stuff in Hawkfield, the men who did the job the last day hold their jerseys.
The only tweak as noted is that Conway drop more and sit in the middle, or just Tommy Moo sitting there and being a big roadblock.
Also this talk of Meath going back to their old ways is all well and good, but they can't because their players can't do what the old lads did.
I just hope we really fuckin go for it and don't let them dictate the game for a second. With the JTB lads right on the border, plus Donnellan and N Flynn from Maynooth you would think fire shouldn't be an issue.
Like I said as well we are talking about P Brophy and N Flynn and we are not mentioning what Healy and Dowling could do coming on as well.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 8:55 am

I'm with you Flamingo. All great points.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 9:11 am

Well said Flamingo. I remember in 2014 reading an article the day of the meath game - an interview with the cribbens and how personal it was to them playing against their cross border rivals. They spoke of the devastation at losing to meath and how Kildare were hungry for the win. All the sounds of dictating the game to meath and taking them on. However later that day, none of the above happened, in fact meath completely dominated the game. I hope that is part of the incentive to beat them on Saturday. I felt that the last two championship meetings we were in much better shape than them and yet we had two horrible games - 12 and 14- and looked like the weaker team. Hopefully we will prove ourselves on Saturday and tear into them with fire.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Flamingo wrote:
I think a two-man inside line wouldn't be good, because Mickey Bourke realistically wants to be running around out the field. I think, unless there is some serious stuff in Hawkfield, the men who did the job the last day hold their jerseys.
The only tweak as noted is that Conway drop more and sit in the middle, or just Tommy Moo sitting there and being a big roadblock.
Also this talk of Meath going back to their old ways is all well and good, but they can't because their players can't do what the old lads did.
I just hope we really fuckin go for it and don't let them dictate the game for a second. With the JTB lads right on the border, plus Donnellan and N Flynn from Maynooth you would think fire shouldn't be an issue.
Like I said as well we are talking about P Brophy and N Flynn and we are not mentioning what Healy and Dowling could do coming on as well.

All good points, but I would take the chance of Burke running up field if it left Flynn and Brophy man on man or with extra space to run into. Plus with the added man in the defence he should not be having that much effect.

But Cian seems loyal to lads who have got the result in the previous game. I'm not expecting any changes to the starting team.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 11:43 pm

Joe mc Quillan is referee for Saturday night
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Meath
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next