Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Dublin

Go down 
+41
FearBan
Lilly18
LillieLad
Fizzer
lilywhites on tour
smokey
parcel
jj
KILL BILL
kickingking
moatesports
Shergar
Caprea
steviegenius
Highball
walsheman
Lilly5hite
shoutitout
DONTPULLOUT
OutTheGap
Cilldara_2000
lomond
Xavi
White Bridge
maccie
Ohtoohtobe
Gaa1928
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
lillyboy
flourman
topcat
kildaregaa365
Jimmy winning matches
Rex
SeamusMurphy
jim
bigball
murof
Flamingo
TommyKeegan
Kildare98
45 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 10:40 pm

Just thought I may as well get the ball rolling on this, even though it's still a couple of weeks away.

Has been a lot of talk about our defence going into this season, and rightly so - in the Dublin and Armagh games last summer, we conceded the astronomical grand total of 3-40.

One of the keys to Mayo's competitiveness with Dublin has been the tightness of their defence. When you look at our wing backs and corner backs, do we have players with the stickiness of Keegan and Higgins, the warrior qualities of Boyle and Durcan. Currently, you'd have to say not. But you know, I wouldn't rule out O'Neill - who knows the Mayo story well - getting a big improvement out of the players currently there as time goes on.

It's actually instructive when you look at the Mayo team sheet from the notorious Longford disaster that initiated the Horan revolution... A lot of the same personnel. Funnily enough, the general tone of despair is one that's all too familiar to me as a Kildare supporter!

http://mayogaablog.com/?p=5464

The difference between us and Mayo, of course, being that we ultimately want to beat the Dubs in the championship, for a win we will never, ever let them forget. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 10:52 pm

Not saying more important than players physical qualities but I'm wondering after the last however-many-years if there's a fear factor around Dublin as well, an idea we won't and can't win, and an idea that keeping it to single figures is a job well done. Which means we'll never win.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 pm

I actually don't think so Tommy. However, financial doping means the periods of dominance such as Kildare (late 90s/early 2000s) and Meath enjoyed over them in the past are unlikely to be repeated. Still think with one huge, Mayo/Donegal-like effort we could do them some year.

Doesn't change the fact the ludicrous advantages Dubs enjoy in terms of finances, resources, population, home advantage etc etc need to be addressed.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 11:07 pm

Oh don't disagree for a second, they've better players and we all know why. Just wonder if the last decade has effected the psyche in Kildare to the point an already large gap is accentuated.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Again, I honestly don't think so, and it shouldn't. There was a great defiant post on the Mayo blog after the All Ireland last year. While allowing for Dubs' well-documented advantages, it made the entirely accurate point that Mayo are one of the few counties who haven't just caved pathetically (something we've certainly been guilty of more than once in the last few years).

Anyway, the author said, "We don't bow to them and we never will". And I for one am in the same boat. I think that spirit is there in the Kildare camp. Obviously up to them to show it in the only place that counts – the field.

Also, I wouldn't be following this team if I didn't think that spirit wasn't there. I do think Mayo fans sometimes can't see the woods from the trees, but they demand that their team goes to war every time they take the field, and we should do the same with Kildare.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2018 12:04 am

I think that all but one or two counties actually admit defeat playing Dublin these days over the past few years in Leinster especially. Meath talk a good fight but don't do it on the day.
I know everyone read a bit too much into the Leinster Final but we didn't lie down after a horrendous start. I don´t think the current crop are in awe of the Dubs.
It will be good to blow the cobwebs off and a win on the 27th would set us up rightly. A good performance and lads showing well in Croke Park is a must.

I still don't get how teams don't just bomb it in on top of Dublin more. Most county teams might have one big man inside but we have Flynn and Brophy who are far more mobile than most big men.
I still say let it rip on top of them a few times early on and see how it goes.
Then flood in for the breaks. I sometimes think county teams overthink things. If it is not getting any joy then switch it up.

Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2018 12:12 am

Flamingo wrote:
I don´t think the current crop are in awe of the Dubs.

I agree. And when you think about how hyped the Dubs' underage machine is, N Flynn, Healy, Sherry and the boys took them on at minor in 2013, and didn't just beat them - humiliated them in their own back yard. Virtually every single player in the squad has beaten Dubs and/or had provincial success at underage. We have a head-start over a lot of counties in that regard.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2018 11:13 pm

I have a feeling at least one or two newcomers will be thrown in at deep-end. As such, don't expect this to be the starting line-up, but allowing for injuries, I'd go for something like...

Donnellan

O'Grady
Hyland
Peter Kelly

Byrne
Doyle
Cribbin

Feely
Moolick

Conway
Niall Kelly
Paul Cribbin

Neil Flynn
Daniel Flynn
Paddy Brophy

Serious options off the bench. I just hope we get stuck in and are seriously competitive. Still think we're a bit "standoff-ish" when playing Dubs, and don't quite tear into them the way Mayo and Kerry do. Time to start putting that right.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2018 2:06 am

That's a very similar team that started against Dublin last year HG. Would like to see a couple of changes in defense if the result is to be any better this time. Also on last years form none of that half forward line deserves to start in front of Slattery.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2018 2:47 am

Yeah wouldn't have any objections to Slattery starting, probably in place of Conway. Like I say, I'd expect there will be one or two changes and probably in defence, so I don't expect that to be the starting a line-up at all. It was more just a basic starting 15 to work off.

I really hope a few of the new defenders are showing well in training, I'd imagine they are. No one really put their hand up in the O'Byrne Cup so hard to gauge who might start.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2018 9:04 am

Looking forward to this one i think...
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2018 8:02 am

Few injuries I'm hearing
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2018 8:34 am

bigball wrote:
Looking forward to this one i think...

You might be the only one.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2018 9:19 am

jim wrote:
Few injuries I'm hearing

Is it any other way.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2018 9:59 pm

Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Panel for league will be known at weekend
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 am

Maynooth and Carlow IT both in Sigerson action next Tuesday..

Feely, D Flynn, Healy, Brophy, M Hyland, O’Giollain, P Cribbin all playing according to the Irish Times.

Great!
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 6:58 am

While Sigerson not ideal for preparing for the Dublin game. I'm sure the scolarships some of the players receive are very welcomed by the players.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 9:57 am

Any more Kildare lads involved in sigurson?
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2018 6:36 am

Keith cribbin is out of Dublin games with AC joint injury happen last Saturday in match among match themselves
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2018 6:39 am

Lovely
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2018 6:45 am

Kildare beat down. 2-16 to 0-10. In challenge One half of 35 Minutes and two periods of 20 Minutes
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2018 8:28 am

Well with Lyons also gone that's at least two defensive slots up for grabs from last year's team. Don't suppose anyone has line-out v Down..
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2018 8:37 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Well with Lyons also gone that's at least two defensive slots up for grabs from last year's team. Don't suppose anyone has line-out v Down..
whole squad from Leinster Leader . 8 players playing Sigerson Cup on Tuesday
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2018 8:45 am

Haven't seen Leader! Starting line-up? Just trying to gauge clues for next weekend...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kildare v Dublin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Dublin
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next