Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Dublin

Go down 
+41
FearBan
Lilly18
LillieLad
Fizzer
lilywhites on tour
smokey
parcel
jj
KILL BILL
kickingking
moatesports
Shergar
Caprea
steviegenius
Highball
walsheman
Lilly5hite
shoutitout
DONTPULLOUT
OutTheGap
Cilldara_2000
lomond
Xavi
White Bridge
maccie
Ohtoohtobe
Gaa1928
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
lillyboy
flourman
topcat
kildaregaa365
Jimmy winning matches
Rex
SeamusMurphy
jim
bigball
murof
Flamingo
TommyKeegan
Kildare98
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 4:19 am

LillieLad wrote:
It seems like in the last few matches if Feely doesn't win with a clean catch in the midfield we will get fuck all ball. Our plan just seems to be kick it long to Kev. Kick outs need to be worked on. A proper defensive structure needs to be worked on too, seems a bit mad though considering Cian is in the job 3 years now....A call should be made to Ollie Lyons other than Doyle and Hylo he's our best back. Our half back line is doing feck all other than Doyle...
slim chance Lyons getting a call in now .
Back to top Go down
Lilly18
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 4:31 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
True, Donnellan was just lorrying them onto Feely in that third quarter when it's obvious that approach was a busted flush. Lyons has actually stepped away from panel – "a mutual decision". Couldn't agree more re half backs - would also extend it to the corner backs.

The thing about Mayo is that they have seven or eight Eoin Doyles. That's a high standard obviously, but it's where we need to get to if we're going to seriously compete with Dubs instead of just troubling them for periods.

Cian released Lyons from the squad. Looking at the lack of backs it was a very strange call. Apart from him I think the best players are in the squad already.
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 4:38 am

The usual shite from some here. Everything is blamed on heart and bottle and character and all those other "skills" that can never be measured and therefore never disproven. Actual quantative appraisal is always left at the door by many because that might mean they would have to show an understanding for the game beyond the bar stool.

When 1 lad was questioned here to define what bottle and desire was they even admitted themselves that if they knew what it was, they wouldn't be writing on this forum. In fairness JJ, you're not alone because if not having a clue was the qualification mark for posting here, not many would be contributing.

I then had to laugh when our first half was described as so so? 2 points ahead against the 3 in a row All Ireland champions is so so now? What Kildare team do we expect? The team that only exists in all our hearts and dreams or the team of young lads looking to learn their trade against arguably the most skilful, fittest, most all round football squad ever to play our game in a venue that is a) their home and b) perfectly set up for them to perform at that level?

Lads, wake up and smell the coffee, for Kildare to make the leap to even living with the dubs for 70 minutes on a consistent basis, it is going to take 10, maybe more years of brutal hard work, soul searching and a huge amount of luck. In the mean time, it's the small incremental improvements we need to look out for.

Some here are talking about Boltons interview on Saturday as a sign of tension or unrest.... That interview simply reflected a man that fully knows what is needed for us to compete against Dublin. A player with his two eyes open and self aware. Many more here could do with looking a bit closer.

Now the league starts for Kildare. 4 home games to get 3 wins. If we maintain Div 1 status and further extend our learning curve, we should all be very satisfied.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 5:02 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
I keep hearing this lately "Kildare without their Moorefield contingent "..... who are the Moorefield Players that are going to come in ?.. havnt most been in already previously  ??.

At most Dempsey and maybe Murray I'd say. Both unproven at county level and not a panacea.

We have what we have by and large -- irrespective of what clubs they come from I don't think the selection of the panel is the problem here. We all might have a preference for one or two different unselected players but it's not like there were 10 or 11 standout club players who should have been in. Look how little an impact the new guys made in the OBC. Granted that may not be the best proving ground.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 5:38 am

Eanna O Connor will surly be asked back in. He's playing serious football and he can score something the vast majority of our forwards struggle with.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 9:17 am

I might be in the minority here but I'd prefer to have only Kildare lads on the Kildare team.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 9:19 am

100% agree with you there ohtoohbee. Huge huge game this weekend.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 9:30 am

[quote="Ohtoohtobe"]I might be in the minority here but I'd prefer to have only Kildare lads on the Kildare team.[/quote

So would you get rid of Kevin Feely?]
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 10:04 am

Bit of a difference there Feely’s family moved here as a teenager.

But I suspect you know that.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 6:42 pm

I do know that. But O2B said he would like only kildare men on the team. I don't see the difference. If a guy moved here from Nigeria at 15 would you say he's a kildare man?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 8:06 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
I might be in the minority here but I'd prefer to have only Kildare lads on the Kildare team.

I respect that OTB.. but then I think back to the Karl O Dwyer and Brian Lacey influence.. I'd say it's a divided one.
Back to top Go down
Snowwhite
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 8:26 pm

Great seeing the post from FearBan, what you say makes sense....
On another note, very frustrating the way the press have taken a quote from O´Neill and made more of it than was intended. I personally don't think that he was making excuses for Kildare, quite the opposite in fact. He seems to know where we are failing, I am just not sure the lads have enough in them to correct the school boy errors they made and continue to make on Saturday night. That knee connecting with Feely´s head certainly looked cynical to me.. As for the comment on only Kildare lads playing for Kildare, please...... Lets move into the 21st century...
Back to top Go down
Onechance
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 9:17 pm

FearBan wrote:
The usual shite from some here. Everything is blamed on heart and bottle and character and all those other "skills" that can never be measured and therefore never disproven. Actual quantative appraisal is always left at the door by many because that might mean they would have to show an understanding for the game beyond the bar stool.

When 1 lad was questioned here to define what bottle and desire was they even admitted themselves that if they knew what it was, they wouldn't be writing on this forum. In fairness JJ, you're not alone because if not having a clue was the qualification mark for posting here, not many would be contributing.

I then had to laugh when our first half was described as so so? 2 points ahead against the 3 in a row All Ireland champions is so so now? What Kildare team do we expect? The team that only exists in all our hearts and dreams or the team of young lads looking to learn their trade against arguably the most skilful, fittest, most all round football squad ever to play our game in a venue that is a) their home and b) perfectly set up for them to perform at that level?

Lads, wake up and smell the coffee, for Kildare to make the leap to even living with the dubs for 70 minutes on a consistent basis, it is going to take 10, maybe more years of brutal hard work, soul searching and a huge amount of luck. In the mean time, it's the small incremental improvements we need to look out for.

Some here are talking about Boltons interview on Saturday as a sign of tension or unrest.... That interview simply reflected a man that fully knows what is needed for us to compete against Dublin. A player with his two eyes open and self aware. Many more here could do with looking a bit closer.

Now the league starts for Kildare. 4 home games to get 3 wins. If we maintain Div 1 status and further extend our learning curve, we should all be very satisfied.

Completely agree with the comment above regarding Bolton. Now there is a man who knew what it took to be competitive and challenging for trophies and was willing to give his all on the pitch for Kildare, you can imagine how he feels looking at the two current wing backs knowing the current management fancied both over him.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 10:28 pm

Listened back to Bolton - Really don't think he sounded bitter at all lads?

Surely he was as realistic as we all are if we are being completely honest especially about how to tackle the dubs.

For me realism doesn't equal negativity..

The only point he put across that peaked my interest was that he never spoke to O Neill about leaving the panel - It was all done through Roly. That sounds like there was something personal at play but then again, I could be jumping to conclusions.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Lads concentrate on what we have and not on retired players both of whom are well past their best. I would be a lot happier seeing O'Donoghue making mistakes and learning from them than watching an older player who is not going to get any better with practice.
As for O'Connor, to the best of my knowledge he is living, working and playing club football in Kildare for a number of years. He is well qualified and entitled to play for Kildare if he is good enough imo.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 12:05 am

I'm with Murof - O'Donoghue is raw but he has real potential and he's learning.

I actually only got to look back at this game again last night - I thought there were real positives to take from it, particularly the first half performance. And like last year, even when the Dubs got on top of us, we kept going and Flynn's goal at the end was a sublime finish. It wasn't a pathetic implosion like the Jason Ryan years. I was delighted as well that we shoved them around the place before half time and knocked a few of them of their arses. It was the most excited I'd been at a Dublin-Kildare match in a long time - I was my feet roaring them on!

Dubs simply awesome at start of the second half and Brian Fenton... Jesus that's one of the best midfield performances I've ever seen in Croke Park. The good news though is that's a level of football no other team in the country is currently capable of. On to next weekend...
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 2:06 am

The thing with all this, not only do we have a team who had a few lads relatively new to this level, but their manager is also one of the best around.
Even if O'Neill does all the hard work he is simply not at Gavin's level and I don't mean that as some huge slight. So, on the field and on the sideline we need everything to work perfectly to beat them.
I'm off to the Monaghan thread as I think that is a better measure of where we are at and where we should be.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 6:33 am

jim wrote:
I do know that. But O2B said he would like only kildare men on the team. I don't see the difference. If a guy moved here from Nigeria at 15 would you say he's a kildare man?

I don't see why we wouldn't welcome him to our team if he wasn't playing in the county. You wouldn't?
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 6:49 am

Id welcome Eanna O Connor the same way as I'd welcome Kevin Feely
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 8:37 am

That wasn't what I was asking - I was asking about the Nigerian fella..
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 9:49 am

FearBan wrote:

Brilliant post, couldn't agree more. Too many fans don't take into account the quality of the opposition; win and things are great, lose and the players have no heart.

Some of them will be over the moon if we beat Monaghan by a point, but in reality, beating Monaghan by a point and losing to Dublin by seven takes about the same level of performance.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 10:00 am

If the Nigerian fella gave his all for Kildare I think we all would and should take to him.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 10:14 am

jim wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
I might be in the minority here but I'd prefer to have only Kildare lads on the Kildare team.[/quote

So would you get rid of Kevin Feely?]

Of course not.

It's not an exact science, but I think there's a difference between a lad who moves from Waterford at 15, a hypothethical Nigeran 15 year old immigrant, and a lad who played minor and U21 for Kerry and moved to Kildare as an adult.

It wouldn't kill me to see him play for Kildare again but I think it sends the wrong message and we should be looking at homegrown talent instead. You would in effect be saying to our young lads, who we've put years of work in to that "sorry, we're going to take a look at this Kerry lad who didn't make it a couple of years ago again, because we don't believe in you".

Just my opinion and nothing against Eanna O'Connor, who is playing very well.

It's not about him. It's about moving away from a culture where we are forever looking for quick fixes.

Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 10:21 am

If a Nigerian lad moved into kildare at 15 i would say he was from Nigeria.  My point was that OTB says he'd prefer just kildare men on the kildare team of which Eanna isn't a kildare man. I asked the question would he call kevin Feely a kildare man. Because in my opinion no different than the Nigerian, kevin isn't a Kildare man he's from Waterford.  Just debating different opinions. Me I'd welcome Kevin, Eanna or the Nigerian if they played their club football in the county and were willing to commit to the county team.

Last edited by jim on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 10:25 am

jim wrote:
If a Nigerian lad moved into kildare at 15 i waoud say he was from Nigeria.  My point was that OTB says he'd prefer just kildare men on the kildare team of which Eanna isn't a kildare man. I asked the question would he call kevin Feely a kildare man. Because in my opinion no different than the Nigerian, kevin isn't a Kildare man he's from Waterford.  Just debating different opinions. Me I'd welcome Kevin, Eanna or the Nigerian if they played their club football in the county and were willing to commit to the county team.
Feely born in Belgium
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Dublin
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next