Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Dublin

Go down 
+41
FearBan
Lilly18
LillieLad
Fizzer
lilywhites on tour
smokey
parcel
jj
KILL BILL
kickingking
moatesports
Shergar
Caprea
steviegenius
Highball
walsheman
Lilly5hite
shoutitout
DONTPULLOUT
OutTheGap
Cilldara_2000
lomond
Xavi
White Bridge
maccie
Ohtoohtobe
Gaa1928
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
lillyboy
flourman
topcat
kildaregaa365
Jimmy winning matches
Rex
SeamusMurphy
jim
bigball
murof
Flamingo
TommyKeegan
Kildare98
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
jim
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Your right HG. I never mind a lads playing bad as you say it happens the best of them. I suppose you just expect lads to keep working at it and not give up. But maybe they were saving themselves for Saturday night.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 9:31 pm

Can't see them putting their body in harms way four days before they play Dublin in Croke Park. I feel a bit for J.D. He must know himself lads are not going to risk injury for a College game. As a result you get that kind of performance. The problem the Sigerson has is no one cares about it. We'd all be pulling our hair out if Brophy or Cribbin got a bad injury in this game. I bet Cian had a word about minding themselves.

Hsrd to get any enthusiasm about Saturday, yet as the match gets closer I feel the pull to go watch it even though it's against my better judgement.

I would live to see a bit of defensive solidity. For to long now we give up easy chances, thrre comes a stage where you need to be hard to beat.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 9:34 pm

Rex wrote:
Can't  see them putting their body in harms way four days before they play Dublin in Croke Park. I feel a bit for J.D. He must know himself lads are not going to risk injury for a College game. As a result you get that kind of performance. The problem the Sigerson has is no one cares about  it. We'd all be pulling our hair out if Brophy or Cribbin got a bad injury in this game. I bet Cian had a word about minding themselves.

Hsrd to get any enthusiasm about Saturday, yet as the match gets closer I feel the pull to go watch it even though  it's against my better judgement.

I would live to see a bit of defensive solidity. For to long now we give up easy chances, thrre comes a stage where you need to be hard to beat.
cian o neill was at Match yesterday
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 10:27 pm

Was that Brian Byrne from Naas that was corner forward for UCD ??
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Fone is Neil Flynn not in Maynooth ?.

Worrying more now about Saturday evening.. hope Jim puts out some of the OB Cup Team.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 10:47 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Fone is Neil Flynn not in Maynooth ?.

Worrying more now about Saturday evening.. hope Jim puts out some of the OB Cup Team.
not in Maynooth this year. Glen Ryan was part Maynooth backroom team. podge was full forward. Th
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 1:43 am

Rex wrote:
Can't  see them putting their body in harms way four days before they play Dublin in Croke Park. I feel a bit for J.D. He must know himself lads are not going to risk injury for a College game. As a result you get that kind of performance. The problem the Sigerson has is no one cares about  it. We'd all be pulling our hair out if Brophy or Cribbin got a bad injury in this game. I bet Cian had a word about minding themselves.

Hsrd to get any enthusiasm about Saturday, yet as the match gets closer I feel the pull to go watch it even though  it's against my better judgement.

They definitely minded themselves thats for sure. Funny Evan O Carroll laois, Jack Barry kerry, or Conor McCarthy of Monaghan weren't minding themselves they tore into everything.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 2:07 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
If we do retain Div 1 status this year the earthquake you feel will be everyone on here back pedalling Very Happy

I won't be one of the ones back-pedalling.  My position is pretty clear:

1. Beating Dublin is one thing (huge ask unless they put out a 2nd/3rd team and/or went on the beer on their hols which won't have happened). I expect us to lose by 7 to 10 points if they put out close to a full strength team although I can see us getting within 4 or 5 with a following wind.

2. Staying in Division One is not impossible and should be the aim of the team. Donegal are in transition, Galway are dreadfully inconsistent. Those are the two main teams I would target to finish below us. Mayo are also unlikely to be in good shape for this league and I could see them in the relegation mix. Monaghan are never a team I'd particularly fear and we should be aiming to beat them in Newbridge.  Tyrone have something of an identity crisis after their Dublin no-show and again we're at home in Newbridge. So it's all to play for and relegation would be pretty disappointing actually.

3. There's a cohort of players from the 2013 u-21 team primarily who have given me great joy as a Kildare fan over the last few years. Indeed that u-21 team played some of the best attacking football I have seen from a Kildare team. But as Cian himself said "it's time to sh1t or get off the pot" when it comes to this group. They're old enough now to have a bit more maturity and "spine" than they've shown in various outings - Galway and Armagh last year in particular. They have raw talent but do they have the mentality/willpower. It's a valid question and I make no bones about answering it. If it's not this year it's hard to imagine they'll develop it later given the age profile now.

4. From a coaching perspective it all seems a bit too "nicey nicey"...  we need a bit of "divilment" on the bench and in particular in our defence. And it may have to start on the sideline. Do the players need a cause / a siege mentality over something? Do we need to do something totally out-of-character against Dublin that says "we've changed"..   refuse to clap them out as champions (ffs..),  warm-up in front of the hill .... hit Dermo a few early belts?   I don't know.... I just feel it's all a bit too nice.  Roli may need to figure this out from his Moorefield experience.

5. We've got good forwards but can the likes of Ben McCormack, Brophy, Niall Kelly and Jimmy Hyland elevate themselves to the "great" level?  Two of those are very young and the other two belong to that u-21 cohort.  The best teams have one or two great forwards. Do we?

If you ask me what I expect to happen and I can back-pedal from there if results go differently?

- As I say I think we'll lose to Dublin
- I think we'll Beat Monaghan (H)
- Draw with Tyrone (H)
- Lose to Donegal (A)
- Beat Mayo (H)
- Lose to Kerry (A)
- Lose to Galway (H)

But realistically we should be looking to get a few more points than those five.. should be looking for 6 or 7.

It all depends whether we can have a solid sh1t on that pot or the far too frequent diarrhea.

Last edited by kildaregaa365 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 2:36 am

Is the Galway game not in Conleths? Great opportunity to beat that crowd eventually. If we are to target an away win which we should then Donegal is the one.
Agree on the "nicey nicey" comment but that was the same in the early 90's as well but changed as the players grew up and were well able for Dublin.
Of course that was a long time ago and Dublin are a hell of a lot better now!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 2:46 am

murof wrote:
Is the Galway game not in Conleths? Great opportunity to beat that crowd eventually. If we are to target an away win which we should then Donegal is the one.
Agree on the "nicey nicey" comment but that was the same in the early 90's as well but changed as the players grew up and were well able for Dublin.
Of course that was a long time ago and Dublin are a hell of a lot better now!

Yes in Conleths - still don't predict a win.

Re "nicey nicey" I had the pleasure of seeing the same in the 1970's, 1980's and 2000's.. (and it was apparently the same in the late 50s and through the '60s). The 1990's team saw a seismic shift in the Kildare football mentality but it was for an all-too-brief period. That's the standard/ mentality that's needed but you and I aren't the ones who'll make it happen.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 3:27 am

As things stand, this team is definitely too nice. Have to say, I wouldn't object to a "statement" moment on Saturday either: as you say, don't clap them onto the field; level one of the star players; start a punch-up - SOMETHING that says, there's a new gang in town.

It's not a quality traditionally associated with Kildare, but as mentioned, the 90s team had the same thing thrown at them for years. I think this team has huge potential, all the right ingredients, but the question is - can they develop that hard edge you need to compete with the Dublins, Mayos, Kerrys.

As the man says, we are about to find out.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
As things stand, this team is definitely too nice. Have to say, I wouldn't object to a "statement" moment on Saturday either: as you say, don't clap them onto the field; level one of the star players; start a punch-up - SOMETHING that says, there's a new gang in town.

It's not a quality traditionally associated with Kildare, but as mentioned, the 90s team had the same thing thrown at them for years. I think this team has huge potential, all the right ingredients, but the question is - can they develop that hard edge you need to compete with the Dublins, Mayos, Kerrys.

As the man say, we are about to find out.

One clarification on the "statement moment" desire on my part -- it has to be before the game or when it's still in the melting pot. I'm not talking about Feely taking yet another black card for a stupid drag down on Connolly when we're 13 points behind.. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 3:34 am

Oh yeah - I agree, not advocating anything stupid. But the way Lee Keegan for example obliterates the likes of Connolly and Kilkenny with a bit of "dark arts" thrown in - we need to start developing that kind of quality.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 4:10 am

Indeed
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 10:05 am

What's this shite about clapping them onto the field? Is that seriously a thing? Someone in Kildare needs to tell whatever gobshite in Croke Park came up with that to GTFO. They get enough love from Croke Park, the media, and their general public without needing it from our players as well. Perhaps we should all line up with bent over and our trousers around our ankles too?

365's analysis (in point no 2 about the general state of Division 1) above seems fair for any county other than Kildare. I'm not having a go at anyone but my expectations will remain low and I don't expect to be disappointed. Eugene McGee's quote on RTE.ie that "Kildare have been failing for 80 years, apart from the Mick O'Dwyer era" is bang on. I see no reason why this year would be any different.

Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 am

Isn't it a tradition that the AI champions are given a guard of honour for their first game?

If so we could conveniently forget that one and maybe lose our bearings and trot down to the Hill for our warm up.

GAA would probably dock us the 2 points for our temerity.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 am

When league games used to be played before Christmas, I do remember teams clapping the All-Ireland champions onto the pitch. I haven't noticed it since all the games are now in the following year, but we're so nice and accommodating we'll probably do it anyway!

I have to say I share the general pessimism on this thread. The main reason is we are not good enough defensively and too many of our players go into their shell when the pressure comes on. The big task for the management this year will be to inject some of the Moorefield fighting spirit and belligerence into the county team.

Having said that I'll be travelling on Saturday to support the team and will be only too happy to eat humble pie or back pedal or whatever if we do well. Playing the Dubs in Croke Park is a lot better than playing in Division 3 as we were a couple of years ago.
Back to top Go down
DONTPULLOUT
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 1:32 pm

GUARD OF HONOUR FFS I've heard it all now
its not RUGBY
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 5:54 pm

Ok I got the guard of honour thing wrong. Jeez..

Thought it was a thing as you youngsters say.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 7:34 pm

Pretty sure the clapping onto the field is still the done thing and I would have no problem with our players doing it on Saturday night, however, as they are doing it I would be expecting every player to a man to be thinking "I'm not doing this again and I am going to do everything in my power tonight to prove that these lads are not better than us". As soon as the ball is then thrown in the first hit of the night should be the hardest from every player in white.

Don't believe we will win, but will travel anyway, but we really need to see something from our team if we are to have any hope in hell of staying in Div 1.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 9:33 pm

No problem with clapping them onto the pitch if that is the tradition. Doesn't mean anything and Kerry often had to do it. We would look right eejits if we just ignored it and ran down to warm up in front of the Hill. Jesus lads be careful what you wish for, Dublin would absolutely hockey us if we tried a stunt like that.
Once the ball is thrown in then tear into them and score a few goals. That's how you earn respect and 2 pts as well.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 12:53 am

Agree murof.. I'm sure all will be informed in advance of the protocol re clapping or whatever.. then tear into them in the match, if we have the stomach for it.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 12:58 am

lomond wrote:
Was that Brian Byrne from Naas that was corner forward for UCD ??

Yes.. and Darren Maguire came on.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 3:25 am

murof wrote:
No problem with clapping them onto the pitch if that is the tradition. Doesn't mean anything and Kerry often had to do it. We would look right eejits if we just ignored it and ran down to warm up in front of the Hill. Jesus lads be careful what you wish for, Dublin would absolutely hockey us if we tried a stunt like that.
Once the ball is thrown in then tear into  them and score a few goals. That's how you earn respect and 2 pts as well.

Exactly! Look like a bunch of tools laying down markers and then not doing the business when the ball is thrown in. It is tradition as far as I know so let's do it and then put up or shut up.
Back to top Go down
Lilly5hite
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 4:15 am

Don’t we usually turn up to play the Dubs bent over with our trousers down? They won’t want us getting any ideas for the Championship, can see the same happening again I’m afraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Dublin   Kildare v Dublin - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Dublin
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next