Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dublin v Kildare

Go down 
+37
micky murphy
lillyboy
Ogie
Shergar
totalgaa
stanley
Caprea
Bad News Baba
OutTheGap
kildarecat
Ohtoohtobe
murof
teedee
Onhisboot
jim
inexile
tomoneillandhissisteranne
kildaregaa365
Jimmy winning matches
LillieLad
kickingking
if_in_doubt
Kildare98
johnsmyth
win_draw_win
Westside
Rex
Gaa1928
SeamusMurphy
jj
Taibi
shoeshine
shoutitout
Stonecold
MD
topcat
flourman
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage

Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 5:24 pm

Why has there been very little change in personnel considering we've lost the last 2 games.

Daryl Flynn, Paidi O'Neill, Hyland, Mikey Conway, Hugh Lynch, Mark Donnellan, Fionn Dowling, Podge Fogarty.

Are one or two of these not worth a go from the start?
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Out of them I would bring in Hylo for McGrillen and Daryl if fit for Conway and move Chalky back and play Flynn in midfield. Podge could be in there not sure who Id take out though Mullhall is a good man for the frees, links up play well and good left boot on him can blow in and out of matches though so maybe him. I don't rate O'Gara and think he's incredibly dirty.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 7:04 pm

the game tomarrow could won on kickouts
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 7:20 pm

I'd say it'll more likely be won on goals and points fone - I just checked the rule book.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 7:26 pm

jw1888 wrote:
Out of them I would bring in Hylo for McGrillen and Daryl if fit for Conway and move Chalky back and play Flynn in midfield. Podge could be in there not sure who Id take out though Mullhall is a good man for the frees, links up play well and good left boot on him can blow in and out of matches though so maybe him. I don't rate O'Gara and think he's incredibly dirty.

Hard to argue with Hylo for McGrillen although he's been playing a fair bit of football including Wed night. I'd also bring Chalky back to CB with Hurley back to midfield and either O'Neill or maybe Dan Flynn to wing forward. Couldn't agree with dropping Mulhall who's a very un-Kildare-like forward who has been a revalation so far. Against my better judgement I'd stick with TOC and see how he goes with Fogarty as Plan B. Still think we're in for a hiding..
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 8:50 pm

McGrillen nearly always seems to produce a good performance when he's under pressure. He was our best player against Cork in 2012 when there was speculation that he would be dropped beforehand. He was also one of the few players we had who came out of last summer's game against Dublin with any credit. I would be confident he will regain his form sooner rather than later. I would have greater concerns about Foley. He has never let Kildare down over the past ten years but he does look to have lost that half yard of pace which can be cruelly exposed in Croke Park. I hope I'm wrong.

Hyland is a real talent but his long term future will probably be at half back rather than in the corner. He has a habit of turning his back to the ball which is not a good trait in a corner back.
Back to top Go down
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 9:46 am

It would be great to get a result tonight, but for me that is irrelevant to some extent, we are putting a new team together, with some fantastically talented players, they need these big games to gain experience, the squad is building towards the summer, we have some important players to return from injury, for me the focus now is all about improving our team play and system and for the younger lads to keep progressing and gaining experience, I am convinced tat there are good days ahead in the not too distant future
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 11:24 am

Ah I definitely don't think its irrelevant if we get a result it would be fucking brilliant!! Fed up loosing to these but I do get what your saying the championship is a lot more important and experience for the likes of Mick O'Grady and the likes is more important, and too Crofter ah Mullhall has been class and wouldn't take him out either, Podge is some player to have on the bench if O'Connor is not working out he's been class this year as well but the balls into him have too. One gripe I have with Jason Ryan he takes an age to make a substitution but at the moment he has us playing well, and a lot of the players look fit and able.
Back to top Go down
teedee
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

tonights performance and not the result, will define how our season will pan out. we need to put it up to dublin and show them that last yrs 2 maulings, and they really were that, will not be happening this yr. in the league game last yr, we let them play from the back uncontested, disaster! in the championship, we went one on one,despite goin 1-2 up, another disaster. so will be interesting to see what plan jason has for tonight. i really feel we will give it right go and if if we win? brilliant. but as long as we give them a good rattle and keep it interesting till the end, the players, management and us supporters can look forward with optimism for the rest of the yr. another hiding? well it could be a long or short summer, depending on which way you look at it. believe!
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 12:50 pm

Agree to a point, really don't think we'll win, but whatever about a performance to build on towards the championship, think a performance so that we can get the wins we need in the last three games to stay up is key. Remember, in terms of systems, structures and building experience and talent in younger players, Division One again next year is and the year after and so on more important than this summer. As I say, think we'll ship three or four goals and lost by more than 10, but we'll see. And crucially for some, I'll see! Have the internet feed raring to go!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 1:18 pm

The result tonight is second to the system that we play. Everyone and his dog in Kildare knows we are soft down the middle. We have been soft there ever since the Donegal quarter final.
Jason has had all last year to look and multiple matches this year to solve our biggest weakness. If we ship another big score tonight with the parting sea defence in evidence I think we can justifiably begin to worry a bit.

Heading up in hope, looking for a full blooded effort from the lads.
Back to top Go down
teedee
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 2:59 pm

i agree with you tommy k that it is possible we could concede a few goals, and no better team than dublin to exploit any defensive weakness. the dubs in full flow look like they can score goals every attack. would hope we can get enough breaking ball in the middle and stop cluxtons short kick outs, resulting in our forwards putting up another big score. the more possesion we have-the less scoring chances theyll get, its as simple as that. hurley is really the only fielder we have so if dublin target him, its up to every kildare player to get in where it hurts and scrap for possesion, just like we did last week.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Always say it about Dublin, the very first key to getting close is the forwards, midfield and half-backs being alert after every score or wide to the quick kick out. It's not just the short kickout where he picks out guys, he does it 45 down the field if you aren't awake from start to finish. Make him kick it into a proper midfield scrap and you save yourself a few scores. Second key is not turning the ball over and pointed this out before our championship hiding last year. Kick a bad pass or turnover ball in the tackle and you'll be swamped at the back. Not sure how much that will apply this time of year, but do those two perfectly from start to finish and you've a shot.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 3:33 pm

Glad to see you'll get to see it TK. Hopefully there'll be enough positives to alter your view of declining standards. I'm not optimistic particularly but eventually the worm turns so maybe tonight..
Back to top Go down
teedee
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 3:51 pm

agree. a lot of cluxtons kickouts are gathered chest high in their wing back positions by either of their midfielders or wing forwards dropping deep, noin where the ball is goin. we know that tommy and so should jason ryan and the players. stopping it is the plan as like ourselves, mccauley or osullivan are not natural fielders so been switched on at all times is so important. how many times do we see our lads kicking wides and the balls been kicked out without them realising it. i agree that we must move the ball before the tackle as dublin are so strong in that area. if we do the simple things right and keep our shape we wont be too far away.even last week at times in the 2nd half, when tyrone got on top,our natural instinct was too many forwards dropped too deep. im a believer that if you invite trouble, trouble will take advantage. against cork toc was the only player inside their 45 at times. even if he gets the ball theres no one to give it to. very easy to mark one forward.
Back to top Go down
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks for the link Tommy
Back to top Go down
inexile
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 8:21 pm

listening to it on kfm on the internet. Commentators are very critical of Kildare. We don't seem to be at the races at all.
Back to top Go down
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 8:24 pm

That defence is a serious problem...nothing new in that statement .....but it becomes more obvious and worrying with every match.
Back to top Go down
inexile
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 8:28 pm

Sounds like a repeat of last year. Shouldn't be too surprised I suppose
Back to top Go down
inexile
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 8:32 pm

Kfm commentary did we get a second goal or not
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 8:38 pm

Pathetic. Another humiliation and let's not kid ourselves if this or that hadn't hit the crossbar, same could have been said of last year if we took early chances. If you are in the same ballpark you don't lose in what amounted to a training game for the players of your great rivals and a light warm-up to a night out for their fans. Absolutely no competition. Awful stuff and sorry but I won't conceal my frustration by the fact we lost by less than the last time, but still double-digits.

Can't take frees but don't change free-taker, can't finish goal chances, cannot change kickout strategy when they've done their homework, break ball around Hurley and have numbers there to win, whereas where was our homework? And really cannot defend. Not going to mention last season's manager tonight, but I have these questions... 1. What players have actually improved from last season? 2. What players have regressed hugely? 3. While we score more, we concede awfully, so has the gameplan progressed or were we better off as a whole then? 4. Has in-game management improved? 5. And incorporating other seasons, are our shorts brown and are we beaten before we even play them, ie terrified?

That question four relates to the likes of Tomas O'Connor. They didn't have a full-back and while I've argued he needs to be used as a decoy in the past, that involves kicking the ball in now and again! Just utterly headless stuff. Billy Joe Padden on the line said Jason Ryan left the stands at around half an hour to tell them to all sit back and isolate O'Connor at a point when we were already behind. Now either that was his gameplan and wasn't listened to, or he saw it too late.

Look, others might be delighted with that and say its progress, I say they are those that accept Kildare being utter muck. And that was utter muck. And one last question as we give out about injuries. Compare our likely line-up for summer versus our teamsheet tonight versus the A team Dublin have to return. Beating will be far worse then, but then again, all part of a process I'm told. (Please don't make this about an agenda, I feel humiliated enough tonight without it being part of some grand agenda.)

Last edited by TommyKeegan on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 8:40 pm

Waiting for the excuse merchants again. Excuse, excuse excuse.
Totally outplayed for the third game in row against Dublin. Defence is a joke. Ryan has in no way improved that defence. Infact it's worse than ever.
What did they learn from last year, nothing that's what.
Can't pass, can't defend, can't tackle, won't track back, tactically naive and basically crapped themselves again.

We are getting relegated. Kerry will pull us apart because we have no idea. Ryan's honeymoon period is over.
Joke of a performance.

And no I did not go, I watched it in the TV.

You reap what you sow.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Ronan Sweeney on Setanta just now: "I think Kildare's loss is clearly Armagh's gain."
Back to top Go down
inexile
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 8:55 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
Ronan Sweeney on Setanta just now: "I think Kildare's loss is clearly Armagh's gain."
That's rubbish. Especially after the two fiascos last year.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 8:57 pm

inexile wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:
That's rubbish. Especially after the two fiascos last year.

Yes, yes. Journalists are rubbish when they don't agree with you. Fans are rubbish when they don't agree with you. Ex-players are rubbish when they don't agree with you. Current players are rubbish when they don't agree with you (look at reaction of camp). I'll tell you, rubbish applies in a couple of different instances this week, one in Athy, one in Croke Park. (PS Kildare losing margin to Dublin 08-12 was under 8 points and that was a massive indictment and deciding factor.)

Last edited by TommyKeegan on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dublin v Kildare   Dublin v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dublin v Kildare
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next