Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath

Go down 
+52
Bigfullforward
thelads
bag of white
centreback
overthebar
MD
lomond
Lillyclane
kildaregaa365
the_skip
stanley
Loads of Pints
Jj76
Haggisgolf
Lillie2k13
Taibi
Frankel
kartman
Big Full Back
KILL BILL
TommyKeegan
rob11
cilldara
fatherted
B'side blues
BelieveToAchieve
lilysavage
Jimmy winning matches
McLovin_Ward
totalgaa
patw14
Dido
walsheman
lilywhites on tour
Athyman
flourman
TheManInTheStands
murof
jim
Ogie
the young lad
OutTheGap
LillieLad
lillyboy
kickingking
topcat
SeamusMurphy
Gaa1928
steviegenius
Westside
micky murphy
Bad News Baba
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
cilldara
Junior A
Junior A

Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 6:17 am

I agree with the idea of Stapleton being looked at again as he has been very prominent for an improving monastrevin team over the last few years.
I am not convinced about O'Keeffe from Athy though..Speaking to a few players from Athy during the year they were astonished how he even managed to keep his place on the club side
Back to top Go down
rob11
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 7:07 am

team for tonight:

1. ciaran heneghan
2. paul o sullivan
3. sean kennedy
4. james o connor
5. donnacha mc donnell
6. eoin naughton
7. peter warren
8. conor canning
9. conor brophy
10.jason acton
11. robbie dunne
12. alan mc dermott
13. cian bolton
14. ray cahill
15. conor murphy

subs
marcus duke
david duke
eoin kelly
colm fagan
austin allen
tom byrne
Back to top Go down
Athyman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 7:55 am

cilldara james Eaton was one of the best forwards in Kildare when we won the champship, he was not picked for kildare, the next year he was not great but still got on the panel. I agree with you O Keeffe has not set the world alight this year for Athy, but he has great potential strong player pace to burn, and an eye for a goal, he scored two goals in a match in the league this year within 4 minutes of each other the like of the goals I have not seen in a long time, he does deserve to be picked, he has all of the attributes necessary to be an inter county player, would you like to name these so called players from Athy or PM me it would be interesting to know.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 8:20 am

Meath 2-14 Kildare 0-8 (C Murphy 0-6(3fs), C Canning, C Brophy 0-1 each)
Back to top Go down
Athyman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 8:45 am

Jesus that was a bit of a hammering
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 8:59 am

Athyman wrote:
shane o rourke and stephen bray were play for meath
Back to top Go down
TheManInTheStands
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 9:12 am

Well IMO Danny O'Keefe is not an intercounty footballer, struggles to hold down a starting spot for Athy and i'll be baffled if he is some how selected. No disrespect to the chap just dont think he's up to the standard. Thats my opinion anyway
Back to top Go down
cilldara
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 10:42 am

Athyman I believe it would be unfair of me to name these players to you or anyone.It is not just this year he hasn't set the world alight, don't think he did much last year for Athy or at least I can't remember him doing much and he didn't start for them in 2011 the year they won the championship.I agree he has some good attributes like his speed and athletic ability but I just don't believe he is good enough for intercounty football.no offence to the chap just my opinion
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 7:22 pm

Meath would be a lot more established at this stage with a settled panel, with the greatest of respect to the lads that togged out i would only pick 3-4 as good footballers. Looks like the team that played Laois was the strongest.
Where from here does he pick the best 15-20 from these games and play another trial game?
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 7:58 pm

Athyman take the rose tinted glasses off, O'Keefe is only a decent club player and he defintiely does not have all the attributes of a county footballer. Eaton is a far better footballer and didnt make the grade so I dont know how O'Keefe would.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 8:06 pm

Anyone at the match last night, who played well and might be worth another look?
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 8:17 pm

Not saying Danny O'Keeffe is the answer to all our problems but he did play very well against Laois and would deserve another look. Otherwise, what is the point of having these trials?

Often players can improve a lot playing and training with the best players in the county so I wouldn't be so quick to write them off. I certainly think we need to find some new players this year because it's hard to see how we are going to improve much with the exact same panel as last year.
Back to top Go down
Athyman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 9:21 pm

Obviously I have to defend an Athy player, O Keeffe played 2 years minor and 3 years under 21 for Kildare so obviously he has the talent, Lads who did well in the trial games should be given a chance and if they do not succeed then fair enough, sometimes all a lad needs is a chance and if they have the right attitude then they will succeed, it will also depend on what type of players that Jason Ryan is looking for. Also if you stand out in a game against other county players does that mean you are not good enough, if any of our lads get a call up I will be delighted if they dont make it then i will have no issue with that.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 10:36 pm

fone wrote:
Athyman wrote:
shane o  rourke   and stephen bray were play for meath
Goes to show difference between top club players and intercounty players. Should be remembered when lads saying A or B should be on the panel because they had a great county championship campaign. Worth a look, sure, but difference is usually night and day and most club players aren't able for the speed, physicality, skill levels or commitment.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 10:42 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Theres no reason why we cant bring New Players trough, and lets not BE afraid to drop the Ones that are clearly not up to it, and hanging on to the County Panel for a while now.. Sometimes it can be harder to get on the Panel than get off it.. Give the Geezer His due, He brought trough New Players Last Term in, Kelly, Brophy, Dan & Hylo.. Now hopefully that trend can continue.
Good to see Young Stapleton & O Keefe doing well.. One thing about Stapleton, yes He has all those atributes mentioned by micky, but most of His best Football was as a Sweeper.. I hope He can adapt to the orthodox role.
You won't let that old chestnut go Seamus, even though 2013 clearly showed it as a lie with a huge turnover. But don't let the truth get in the way of etc. etc... And as any manager will tell you, there's no point making change to bring in someone of the same level. They need to be clearly better. I would say if three or four made it through from these - because there will be a few more of the 21s/minors called in too - that would be good. Then hopefully they can flourish in a professional set-up and with improved fitness/conditioning.

Like you Seamus, I would love to see Eoin Stapleton go well - as you know him well, he's sound out and he was absolutely pivotal in Monasterevin winning the intermediate last year. Played that sweeper role to a tee.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 10:52 pm

Regardless of how many of these lads actually make it onto the panel next year, these three games were a worthwhile PR exercise for the management. 61 players were used over the course of the last week. By my count only 4 out of that 61 have played for the Kildare seniors before - Ciaran Fitzpatrick, Podge Fogarty, Tommy O'Neill and Conor Brophy. Hopefully the small bit of goodwill that this will have generated among the clubs for the new management can be built upon in the new year.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 10:56 pm

David Bray was playing for Meath not Stephen. I wouldn't be getting too worried about the final score either. The 3 matches were about trying to identify players who have certain attributes that might make it at inter-county level. 61 players were used over the 3 games so hopefully the management have seen enough in a few players to give them another chance.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 11:20 pm

You're a great lad for the PR kickingking, something that will be worth the square root of damn all if we lose more than we win. If the season goes badly and certain delegates go off on one again having good PR wont save you.

However in saying that knowing how some people work in this County they would prefer the county manager massage their egos and lose than win and care not what they think.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 11:26 pm

Ogie, I wouldn't agree that the players coming in have to be "clearly better" than those already on the panel. What they should have is the "potential to be better" than those already there. Most of the players who are mentioned here would not have the physical training that those on the panel have had so its hard to compare the two.
I honestly believe a good young player had more scope to improve than someone who has been on the panel for the last 5 years and clearly doesn't have the speed needed at this level anymore. Hopefully the manager will take a longterm view and introduce players who can make a difference in 2015. The young players introduced last year are the ones who will make the difference next year.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 11:31 pm

Baba O' Reily wrote:
You're a great lad for the PR kickingking, something that will be worth the square root of damn all if we lose more than we win. If the season goes badly and certain delegates go off on one again having good PR wont save you.

However in saying that knowing how some people work in this County they would prefer the county manager massage their egos and lose than win and care not what they think.
Alienating the clubs is ultimately going to come back to bite a county manager on the arse. We all know that's what put pay to the McGeeney getting another year. If you can't generate enough grassroots support from the clubs who are at the coalface of Kildare GAA then you are on a hiding to nothing from the outset.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 11:42 pm

Is that what put pay to McGeeney, I'm sure lads were arguing it was the training, or the lack of speed or the results or overlooking certain players. Nope it was bad PR apparently. Great County.

I do agree with you on one similar aspect that certain clubs and thus delegates have such an over inflated sense of worth that they see themselves as the authority on all things Kildare GAA instead of being a part and custodian of Kildare GAA.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 11:54 pm

Baba O' Reily wrote:
Is that what put pay to McGeeney, I'm sure lads were arguing it was the training, or the lack of speed or the results or overlooking certain players. Nope it was bad PR apparently. Great County.

I do agree with you on one similar aspect that certain clubs and thus delegates have such an over inflated sense of worth that they see themselves as the authority on all things Kildare GAA instead of being a part and custodian of Kildare GAA.
There's certainly an element of that out there alright and there probably always will be. That's why these trials can be viewed as a step in the right direction in my opinion.

It was no accident that the three matches were spread out geographically across the county rather than all being played in Hawkfield or wherever. Have no doubt that Ryan will have been in contact with plenty of club managers/administrators over the past few weeks inquiring about players or meeting them at the matches and so on. If these people and the 61 lads who have been involved in the last week go back to their clubs with a positive impression of the new management, then those clubs are more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt when Kildare meet with a few bumps in the road. If you make the clubs feel like their input counts for something and their efforts are appreciated the more likely it is that dissenting voices will be ignored.
Back to top Go down
Athyman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 1:15 am

l agree with poster here the trials have been well worthwhile, I also agree if a player has potential then he should be given a chance rather than the lads who are on the panel with no hope of getting on the first 20, the lads I mentioned from Athy Brian Kinihan, Darroch Mulhall, Danny O Keeffe all have potential and if they get a chance and dont make it then so be it. One other thing about inter county attributes would not pace, power, and athleticism be in the top 5 that a good intercounty player should have?.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 1:42 am

murof wrote:
Ogie, I wouldn't agree that the players coming in have to be "clearly better" than those already on the panel. What they should have is the "potential to be better" than those already there. Most of the players who are mentioned here would not have the physical training that those on the panel have had so its hard to compare the two.
I honestly believe a good young player had more scope to improve than someone who has been on the panel for the last 5 years and clearly doesn't have the speed needed at this level anymore. Hopefully the manager will take a longterm view and introduce players who can make a difference in 2015. The young players introduced last year are the ones who will make the difference next year.
I agree totally with you Ogie, however, in sport as you well know the luxury of being afforded a longterm view is a rare commodity, with one very obvious case in point last year..........sorry, still finding it difficult to move on.... Sad 
Back to top Go down
Athyman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 2:11 am

I think Jason Ryan should be given time, I was talking to a wexford man who comes from the same club as Jason and he said to me that the players in the club hold Jason in high regard, he seems to be a good man manager he also has the the advantage of 1 year already with Kildare, I believe a manager should get 5 year term and stick with him through thick and thin, there will be bumps on the way we must remember that we have no god given right to win anything. I do firmly beleive that we will win another leinster within the next 3 years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next