Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath

Go down 
+52
Bigfullforward
thelads
bag of white
centreback
overthebar
MD
lomond
Lillyclane
kildaregaa365
the_skip
stanley
Loads of Pints
Jj76
Haggisgolf
Lillie2k13
Taibi
Frankel
kartman
Big Full Back
KILL BILL
TommyKeegan
rob11
cilldara
fatherted
B'side blues
BelieveToAchieve
lilysavage
Jimmy winning matches
McLovin_Ward
totalgaa
patw14
Dido
walsheman
lilywhites on tour
Athyman
flourman
TheManInTheStands
murof
jim
Ogie
the young lad
OutTheGap
LillieLad
lillyboy
kickingking
topcat
SeamusMurphy
Gaa1928
steviegenius
Westside
micky murphy
Bad News Baba
56 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Empty
PostSubject: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 9:42 am

So these trial games coming up, anybody know any player going to that we should be keeping an eye on.

Since it's probable that the players will be getting their one big chance in these games will there be selectors or even a S&C coach there to view them. Ryan is hardly going to be able to spot everything himself. It's only fair they get a decent crack.

Lastly if we don't win all three is Jason under pressure from certain quarters Wink
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Great idea from Jason Ryan shows he is going to be his own man and his own team and idea's i hear he feels he was not listened to enough last, i assume the 3 games are located so that he uses players from the 'south' of the county in athy v offaly, so we will see players from Athy/Laurences/Castledermot/Grange/Rheban/Castlemitchel/Monasterevan/Ballykelly/Ellistown/Rathangan and Towers. The 'middle' clubs of the county in hawkfield v laois and the 'north' of the county v meath in kilcock.
So we should virtually see 3 different teams so around 70 players, he will have to have his backroom team there to get full benefit whether they are in full view or in disguise will be another question!!
So its like the X Factor for Kildare GAA!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Good idea but its hard to see who out there is going to improve the actual starting team, I really hope we find a couple of diamonds in the rough though.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 9:43 pm

I dont know how this is going to go, most players would have played no football in the last 2 months and then they have to turn up and perform for the new management????????
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 10:02 pm

[quote="steviegenius"]I dont know how this is going to go, most players would have played no football in the last 2 months and then they have to turn up and perform for the new management????????

I agree, total waste of time and unfair on the players and possibly just a P.R. exercise, should have back room team in place and use the O'Byrne Cup as trials. Also exclude the players that he already has in mind as definites for the panel from his experience last year.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 10:06 pm

steviegenius wrote:
I dont know how this is going to go, most players would have played no football in the last 2 months and then they have to turn up and perform for the new management????????
Thats a good point Stevie.. and maybe some Players wont bother, as they may feel their on a hiding to nothing.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Can see what ye are saying lads but think it is a worthwhile exercise to try and enearth some new talent i'd say he will take a number of these guys to the O'Byrne cup panel. If guys are interested they will show up and i'm sure he will take account of the lack of football but will also see desire / heart / spirit / drive / ambition etc.

I say fair play to him for trying if he didn't a lot of people would be on here saying why hasn't he done open trials - chap can't win with some people...
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 11:17 pm

It really depends how much of a panel he is planning to carry whether this will be of much value. If 8-10 lads star in these trial games, is he going to drop that many of last years panel to make room? I doubt it but I don't know. So far only 2 of last years panel of approx. 37 are not available for next year, namely Dan Flynn and Roli. So Jason Ryan is either going to have to drop lads off the panel or carry a very large panel!!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 11:29 pm

This is a welcome development. For a start, it's helping in a small way to build bridges with the clubs by asking them to nominate players who they think could be up to the level required. Hopefully this will mean there will be less of the "our lad never got a chance" attitude out there.

If a few lads show well in these games they might put a bit of pressure on some of the more established players in January. The more competition for places on the panel, the better. No one can fall into a comfort zone when that's the case.

I presume we will carry quite a big panel for the three O'Byrne Cup games and then it will be cut back once the league gets into full swing. That's normally how it works anyway.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 12:27 am

He has to start somewhere, so while not ideal timing it's as much as he can do. I don't think lads let themselves get as much out of shape as back in the day either and realistically that's not an option for anyone looking to play inter county so hopefully it pays off.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 12:42 am

Agree he has to start somewhere. I think this exercise is more about seeing who might have the dedication required. It's well reported the number one quality needed for IC is dedication followed by talent. If lads don't turn up to the first set of trials then they have no chance. Playing well is secondary.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 2:56 am

Shit myself there topcat, thought that said Daryl Flynn...and Ryan couldn't have done anything more than what he did, a lot of people were calling for other players to be giving a chance hopefully we un-earth a couple of gems im not sure who but hopefully we do that can challenge some of last years panel...Onwards and upwards can't wait til the O'Byrne cup now!! Good owl weekend in store though off college, the match tomorrow in hawkfield then hopefully seeing Johnny tog out for Ireland and kicking a few scores!!
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 3:13 am

I know 3 lads from my own club were ask to attend, the one lad that I think has the best chance of making a go of it is injured and wont be back doing anything for a few weeks I wonder will he or any other lad get another chance that cant make the trials now
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 4:13 am

I'd be surprised if any Moorefield or TMH players will be playing in the trials given their upcoming Leinster campaigns and players still in our Under 21 championship might not be available either.
I wouldn't agree that players who haven't played in a while would be at a big disadvantage. I think lads with inter county ambitions should keep themselves ticking over in the off season.
I think the trials are a good idea and I hope they are well supported. I'd say the best 8-10 players will be added to the squad for the O'Byrne Cup and hopefully some can go on to challenge for a place on the team.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 6:47 am

If 8 - 10 Players are added to the Panel, it will be a dam big Panel.. If so, I hope their allowed to play with their respected Clubs, and not just to make up the numbers for training Matches.. Seen this happen far to often now... I agree its a start, but Trials are not ideal, and Players who are on the radar, should be watched with their Clubs.
Back to top Go down
the young lad
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 7:57 am

pitch in hawkfield looking well,sanded brushed spicked and goal mouth sodded bounce ,,because it was in some state affraid but i hear the offaly game is on pitch 2,
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Jaysus you can't please some people... lads are played in the O'Byrne Cup and are dropped after and it's said they got no chance. Lads train with the squad for three or four months before leaving and it's said they got no chance. Lads start games and are brought on in games in league and championship, and it's said they got no chance. People say there's oceans of talent out there being ignored, that there is no change in the panel (which is flagrantly untrue) and trials are organised and now the players aren't getting a chance. What exactly constitutes a chance and how many players have to get that chance? I mean you're having clubs allowed to put lads forward here... there'll be guys no more of inter-county standard than I am playing. It's such a PR exercise but a clever one and definitely needed. Jason will press a bit of flesh while he's down there too. Smile and chat. That will go down well. But I'd say if you got one player from it that will be playing in the summer, that would be a massive bonus. If you got three or four that might come into the squad in the long term, it would be excellent. How many players did ye propose Athyman?!
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 7:36 pm

If Athy don't have at least 6 starting come the summer Marty will be sharpening the knife so mind your back Jason.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Athy had 3 starters last year which is more than most clubs so I dont think they feel hard done by. Think James Eaton is worth another look but other than that I dont think they have anyone else likely to make it but no harm in trying guys like Mulhall, Reynolds or O'Keefe in the Laois game in Athy.
Back to top Go down
TheManInTheStands
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 9:29 pm

murof wrote:
Athy had 3 starters last year which is more than most clubs so I dont think they feel hard done by. Think James Eaton is worth another look but other than that I dont think they have anyone else likely to make it but no harm in trying guys like Mulhall, Reynolds or O'Keefe in the Laois game in Athy.
Well we wont be seeing Reynolds as he plays for Leitrim and that's a fact
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 10:04 pm

TheManInTheStands wrote:
murof wrote:
Well we wont be seeing Reynolds as he plays for Leitrim and that's a fact
I thought he only declared for Leitrim because he was not getting a chance with Kildare. However I dont think his form is good enough this year either way. If we can get 4 or 5 players out of these trials for the O'Byrne Cup then it will be wortwhile. Its likely a couple of the minors might come into the equation later on after the U21 is finished.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 10:16 pm

Are the 15 / 20 Players from this Season good enough ?, . Is JR going to get something out of this Group that Geezer couldnt ?,. . I have no doubts we need to find and bring trough New Talent.... Are they out there ?,.. a Centre Back of real quality, a natural scoring Forward / Free taker, a Midfielder with a serious engine, Im not so sure.. In all honesty, Roli still looks the best Club Player out there.
Back to top Go down
TheManInTheStands
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Well he's struggled with injury all year and hasn't had a lot of game time. Is a quality play maker imo but he's happy enough where he is with Leitrim
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 10:39 pm

There is definitely 3 or 4 or more players out there that are not on the panel that have not got a chance. I know for a fact last year that if a player that thought he was good enough all he had to do was ring Kieran McGeeney? surely the management went to club games and could see if there were wait a minute? any clubs games last year the Kildare panel always had a training session hopefully that will change. Smile 
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 11:01 pm

I assume we will also need to replace Dan Flynn & Sean Hurley ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath   Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trials: Offaly, Laois, Meath
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next