Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Next Kildare Manager?

Go down 
+33
SeamusMurphy
BelieveToAchieve
topcat
Sam1928
Big Full Back
Lilywhite forever
Borderline
Stonecold
Cranky
micky murphy
KILL BILL
Rex
jimmers
kildaregaa365
northernlily
stanley
paddyr
kickingking
Cilldara_2000
lilysavage
shoutitout
MD
Loads of Pints
bag of white
Westside
Kildare98
lillyboy
Gaa1928
murof
Bad News Baba
if_in_doubt
Botch
Taibi
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Sure there were lads on here banking on him to take over. In the next few days more will rule themselves out then the shit will really hit the fan when the realisation dawns that nobody of merit wants it.

If O'Neill passes and Ryan passes. Who's left? Those two were the fallback for the Anti McGeeney crew.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:16 pm

Kevin McStay mentioned - like we need a Mayo man to show us how to win All Ireland's..(I might regret that comment in 2 weeks time but I suspect not). At least we'll only shoot from the "hot zone".

Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:17 pm

jimmers wrote:
whiteknight wrote:
Exactly Haunted graffiti  if we dont retain division 1 status beat Dublin or win Leinster in the next two year then it is a failure!
On top of that it has to be a high profile manager one that the players will play out of their skins for one that the players wont jump to ship to america one that puts in a lot time to fundraising,getting sponsorship spending days with kids at open days and kildare camps
and most importantly commited to Kildare GAA they just thrown that candidate out and stabbed the players and supporters in the back.
Where is this notion of Jack O Connor come in did somebody say he was a teacher in Kerry?
Really there was no alternatives and they got rid of a manager with no one in mind to replace him!
Why do we need a high profile manager? Mick O'Dowd wouldn't be regarded as one yet did a good job with Meath this year with little fuss and they made real progress. Why can't someone similar do the same for Kildare? You want a manager the players respect and hard as some on here may find it to believe, McGeeney is not the only manager in the country capable of getting the respect of the players.
Indeed, and with a group of players that Kildare teams have been beating up a stick at underage and at senior level for most of the last decade.

Plenty are angry that McGeeney is gone and that's fine. They're entitled to their views and I would share some of them. However I don't subscribe to this belief that Kildare are suddenly going to collapse overnight. Once this dies down, which it will, and the emotion subsides from the debate, Kildare will still be in a good position to kick on over the next few years and be competitive at the latter stages once again.

Last edited by kickingking on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Spot on Rex, the silence from the anti's will be deafening........
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:19 pm

Crofter wrote:
Kevin McStay mentioned - like we need a Mayo man to show us how to win All Ireland's..(I might regret that comment in 2 weeks time but I suspect not). At least we'll only shoot from the "hot zone".

Well he has won a Club All Ireland.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:23 pm

KK you were a big supporter of O Neill or Ryan. If both say no which looks likely who do you want then?

McStay won't give up the cushy RTE gig, he's a non runner.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:27 pm

[/quote]Indeed, and with a group of players that Kildare teams have been beating up a stick at underage and at senior level for most of the last decade.

Plenty are angry that McGeeney is gone and that's fine. They're entitled to their views and I would share some of them. However I don't subscribe to this belief that Kildare are suddenly going to collapse overnight. Once this dies down, which it will, and the emotion subsides from the debate, Kildare will still be in a good position to kick on over the next few years and be competitive at the latter stages once again.[/quote]

Exactly - people are assuming that no one will touch the Kildare job. Who knows? Whoever takes over inherits the under-age potential within the county and thanks to McGeeney they will start off with a far better base than he did. I know the repercussions from last night will linger and the players will also have their say tonight but I don't believe this will frighten off interested parties.

Last edited by jimmers on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Rex wrote:
KK you were a big supporter of O Neill or Ryan. If both say no which looks likely who do you want then?
I wouldn't be opposed to either getting the job as I think both have strong qualities. If neither of them are interested or available then I would consider someone like Brian Lacey as a good candidate. He has had success at club level and has good experience with inter county teams. I hope Murphy is made the new u21 manager.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Seriously KK, you would be happy to go from McGeeney to Brian Lacey. I just find that mind boggling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:43 pm

kickingking wrote:

I wouldn't be opposed to either getting the job as I think both have strong qualities. If neither of them are interested or available then I would consider someone like Brian Lacey as a good candidate. He has had success at club level and has good experience with inter county teams. I hope Murphy is made the new u21 manager.
My god. You surely are on a wind up KK. Surely?
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Rex wrote:
Seriously KK, you would be happy to go from McGeeney to Brian Lacey. I just find that mind boggling.
You asked if O'Neill and Ryan were not interested. If that was the case then yes, Lacey would be third choice in my eyes.

McGeeney got an awful lot right in his six years but I believe that the time was right for a change and a fresh voice. Kildare seem to have lacked a spark in the past two years and I was skeptical as to whether they would ever get it back under McGeeney. I see a lot of merit in some of the arguments that were there to keep him on but after six years I think a change of tack is needed. He deserves great credit for his work here and the way he was treated at the end was wrong and undignified. Nevertheless the next man in deserves support and I don't see why we should write off the next few years.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:00 pm

I asked because reports say O'Neill is not interested, Ryan has said he has no passion for it. You can change tack, but Lacey is really not the way. You are moving a man from minor selector to senior manager. The players will never accept that. As soon as the first poor result comes along there will be carnage from supporters. This really was not thought through.

I have a feeling we'll be searching the bargain bucket for a manager.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:06 pm

From managing Nurney, to Limerick to selector , to Kildare Minor selector. That has been the last 3 years for Brian Lacey.

You do realise he nearly got nurney relegated to junior?

And he is being suggested as a Kildare manager to replace Kieren McGeeney.

I'm sorry KK but you my friend have lost your marbles.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Rex wrote:
I asked because reports say O'Neill is not interested, Ryan has said he has no passion for it. You can change tack, but Lacey is really not the way. You are moving a man from minor selector to senior manager. The players will never accept that. As soon as the first poor result comes along there will be carnage from supporters. This really was not thought through.

I have a feeling we'll be searching the bargain bucket for a manager.
Sure time will tell. I think there is a lot of black and white polarised opinions on both sides of the debate at the moment because it is so emotive. Once that emotion dies down and those involved have time for reflection the hunger for football will return. I know most people on here will be right behind Kildare next year regardless of who is on the line or on the pitch wherever you stand on this particular debate. I'm certain most would have thrown their full backing behind McGeeney too had the vote gone the other way. The county as a whole has got to be bigger than any individuals. Kildare football will still exist long after we're all gone.

The one positive I think we can all take from this is that there is huge passion in Kildare for the team. That is clear from all the activity and debate both for and against over the last few weeks. That passion is good to see because there are plenty of counties where only a handful give a damn.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:11 pm

I mentioned on here a few weeks ago I think Dermot earley could be the right man for the job, kildare legend and a great leader with the right team around him could be the right man to build a new team
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:15 pm

Walter White wrote:
From managing Nurney, to Limerick to selector , to Kildare Minor selector. That has been the last 3 years for Brian Lacey.

I was asked who would I consider if O'Neill and Ryan were not considered and suggested Lacey as a third choice. Preferably I would like to see O'Neill or Ryan.

You seem completely unable to accept that people might not share your own opinions. We wouldn't bother with sport if we all agreed with one another. Leaving aside your support for McGeeney for a minute, if you were tasked to select the next Kildare manager who would you be looking to interview?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:17 pm

micky murphy wrote:
I mentioned on here a few weeks ago I think Dermot earley could be the right man for the job, kildare legend and a great leader with the right team around him could be the right man to build a new team
I reckon Dermot could do a job too incidentally. The manager is important but just as important is the people he surrounds himself with.

McGeeney always surrounded himself with top people. Grimley, O'Rourke,Jason Ryan to name but a few.

Julie Davis is highly regarded around Ireland as a top top trainer also.
Back to top Go down
northernlily
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:20 pm

micky murphy wrote:
I was just about to post the same. If Cian O'Neill pulls out then Dermot would probably be my choice. A natural born leader who is passionate about Kildare and knowledgeable about the club scene. He also may be the only man who can win back players and supporters after this farce.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:25 pm

kickingking wrote:
Walter White wrote:

I was asked who would I consider if O'Neill and Ryan were not considered and suggested Lacey as a third choice. Preferably I would like to see O'Neill or Ryan.

You seem completely unable to accept that people might not share your own opinions. We wouldn't bother with sport if we all agreed with one another. Leaving aside your support for McGeeney for a minute, if you were tasked to select the next Kildare manager who would you be looking to interview?
I suppose it really depends on who is available. And maybe needs some outside the box thinking also.

Jason Ryan
Dermot Earley
Peter Canavan
Daragh O'Se
Cian O'Neill

Someone who has not been out of the game or the management loop for too long. I'd also be very interested as to who they'd bring on board with them.

I'd look to speak to them all but prior to that I'd lean towards Dermot.

I've heard mentioned Sean Boylan - No thanks.
I truly don't believe Glen has nothing to offer
Kevin McStay - No way.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:28 pm

northernlily wrote:
micky murphy wrote:
I was just about to post the same. If Cian O'Neill pulls out then Dermot would probably be my choice. A natural born leader who is passionate about Kildare and knowledgeable about the club scene. He also may be the only man who can win back players and supporters after this farce.
Surely its too early for Dermot (excuse the pun). He would still be close to many on the panel and needs to distance himself from them for a while before he could go back in. Working with the under-age structure would be a better way-in to the Senior team.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:35 pm

I'd agree with Earley being a decent option too.

Being involved last year would make it a bit of an easier transition for the younger players, and considering how united behind McGeeney the players were there's not many people out there that would almost instantly command a similar level of respect. The supporters too are going to be divided over any new manager, a legend like Glen Ryan would still leave some feeling somewhat sceptical about our chances next year, Earley though would surely be somebody all of us would be united behind?

As far as surrounding himself with the right people goes is it reasonable to suggest Jason Ryan might hang about if somebody already involved takes over? It's hard to imagine him being there under a new manager as it was said before that a big part in him coming here was McGeeney himself, but if somebody he's already familiar with like Earley were to take over then maybe there's a chance he'd stay.

As jimmers says, maybe it's too soon given his close connections to the panel, on the flip side maybe there's nobody else that could unite everybody as much.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:46 pm

Dermot could be a great shout. Definitely you would get the supporters behind him. But if it goes wrong I shiver at the thoughts of the abuse he would get. Being a Kildare legend would not shield him from the hordes if results go south.

For that reason I would be very dubious of him being selected. He doesn't need the hassle.
Back to top Go down
Cranky
Junior A
Junior A
Cranky

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:53 pm

kickingking wrote:
Rex wrote:
Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 111
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:58 pm

I think Dermot said when he retired that he would not be going into management anytime soon in the interview with Kfm.
I hope some club nominates Kieran could you imagine the faces of the lads that did that last night affraid as the lads on Newstalk said if he did come back Kildare panel would be some force next year!! They also said that last night decision was the most stupid decision they have seen in Irish sporting history in a long long time.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 6:07 pm

What management experience did McGeeney have 6 years ago? None, but it took some lateral thinking on behalf of Syl Merrins to take that gamble. Maybe Syl should be asked to spearhead the new search..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next Kildare Manager?
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next