Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Next Kildare Manager?

Go down 
+33
SeamusMurphy
BelieveToAchieve
topcat
Sam1928
Big Full Back
Lilywhite forever
Borderline
Stonecold
Cranky
micky murphy
KILL BILL
Rex
jimmers
kildaregaa365
northernlily
stanley
paddyr
kickingking
Cilldara_2000
lilysavage
shoutitout
MD
Loads of Pints
bag of white
Westside
Kildare98
lillyboy
Gaa1928
murof
Bad News Baba
if_in_doubt
Botch
Taibi
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:12 am

I dont think the Kildare job is very attractive right now for anybody the fallout from this is far from over and will be imense.
Fairplay to Syl though for thinking outside the box at the time and they sure as hell need to think outside the box again because the candidates that have been named so far are not good enough IMO
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:19 am

I'd say Syl is as bemused as anyone about last nights carry on, he probably wouldn't want to be associated with the CB.

Kickingking, you are normally spot on on most things on here and I'd regard you as a poster I'd have a lot of respect for but I'm sorry, Brian Lacey should get nowhere near the managers job however he is a very good trainer and was highly regarded in Nurney despite our woes (we were decimated with injuries at the time). From reading interviews with this years minors he is obviously hugely respected among those lads too. He also trained the Limerick team that should've dumped us out of the qualifiers two years ago.

Jason Ryan should be given the reigns if he wants them.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 am

The thread should be called the manager after the next manager because the bloke coming in is on a hiding to nothing. He should be a sacrificial lamb. Let him take all the heat so the next fella gets a clear run.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 am

Taibi wrote:
I'd say Syl is as bemused as anyone about last nights carry on, he probably wouldn't want to be associated with the CB.

Kickingking, you are normally spot on on most things on here and I'd regard you as a poster I'd have a lot of respect for but I'm sorry, Brian Lacey should get nowhere near the managers job however he is a very good trainer and was highly regarded in Nurney despite our woes (we were decimated with injuries at the time). From reading interviews with this years minors he is obviously hugely respected among those lads too. He also trained the Limerick team that should've dumped us out of the qualifiers two years ago.

Jason Ryan should be given the reigns if he wants them.
You're clearly in a better position than me to judge given his previous involvement with Nurney. I only suggested him if both Cian O'Neill and Glenn Ryan were not in the running to be fair. There has been nothing concrete yet to suggest that is the case. The circumstances in Kildare have changed significantly since both last spoke publicly.

It's a savage commitment and whoever puts themselves forward deserves tremendous respect. I wouldn't manage a county team for all the tea in China such is the level of abuse those men put up with.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:18 am

Kfm understands that @cian_oneill will rule himself out of the running for the @KildareGAA SF manager position as he will remain with Kerry

haaaaaaaaaaa now who else is really going want it you would be a fool to take it knowing the players dont want you and you dont have the support of the clubs the clubs will dictate the finances are a shambles the resources available to prepare the team will be cut and half the supporters will take a long time to take to you nah wouldnt want to be the next manager who would any piece of hair on head will fall out!!!
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:34 am

Well if that's true and unless either of the Ryan's have had a change of heart about making themselves available for inter county management it means the three favourites for the job are ruling themselves out of the running.

It's alright though because Paddy Power have installed McGeeney as 4th fav at 5/1.

If the county board get their wits about them soon they'd be lumping money on somebody and we'd be clear of the debt with the winnings.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 am

hmmm... "If the county board had their wits about them.."

Couldn't possibly comment on that !
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:46 am

Crofter wrote:
hmmm... "If the county board had their wits about them.."

Couldn't possibly comment on that !
Probably should have added the caveat that it may need to be a new county board for the county board to actually have their wits about them...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:50 am

Im putting a few bob on Kieran meself @5/1 Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:53 am

Larry Tompkins could be just the sort of outside the box thinking we need.

Ticks all the boxes.

Kildare man.

Successful playing career.

Intercounty management experience.

And with odds of 15/2 we'd all make a few quid out of it too.
Back to top Go down
Borderline
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:29 am

When all is said and done, the fact still remains that he has had Kildare for the past six years, has been given everything he wanted by the county board, the supporters and some very well off friends of Kildare. He even got to bring in an outside "duel player" superstar to help the cause and the only achievement of note was getting out of Div.2

He divided Kildare on the infamous Seanie Johnson case, divided us on several occasions on his player selection and now we are at each others throats again over him after SIX years and no silverware to show for it...

It wasn't down to him that young players have developed, thats all down to the club volunteers who are now being slagged off because they dared to go against "the great one". He had a job to do, got VERY well paid for it and ultimately failed to do what he was brought in to do.

Now the great one is gone, the duel player is gone back medal hunting and they have left behind them a divided county with a huge financial noose around our necks.... and we still want him back..??

All I can say is God Help Us.............
Back to top Go down
Lilywhite forever
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:41 am

Borderline wrote:
When all is said and done, the fact still remains that he has had Kildare for the past six years, has been given everything he wanted by the county board, the supporters and some very well off friends of Kildare. He even got to bring in an outside "duel player" superstar to help the cause and the only achievement of note was getting out of Div.2

He divided Kildare on the infamous Seanie Johnson case, divided us on several occasions on his player selection and now we are at each others throats again over him after SIX years and no silverware to show for it...

It wasn't down to him that young players have developed, thats all down to the club volunteers who are now being slagged off because they dared to go against "the great one". He had a job to do, got VERY well paid for it and ultimately failed to do what he was brought in to do.

Now the great one is gone, the duel player is gone back medal hunting and they have left behind them a divided county with a huge financial noose around our necks.... and we still want him back..??

Good God what a load of guff you just posted there. 11 posts to your name. You should really keep it at that my friend after what you just posted there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:43 am

Move along bordeline move along....
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:23 am

Borderline wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:39 pm

whiteknight wrote:
I dont think the Kildare job is very attractive right now for anybody the fallout from this is far from over and will be imense.
Fairplay to Syl though for thinking outside the box at the time and they sure as hell need to think outside the box again because the candidates that have been named so far are not good enough IMO
I think whiteknight at them moment among all the hype it might not look attractive but if you see we've had good minor teams over the last few years who have been close on a few occasions to silverware, a Leinster winning U-21 team and a number of them progressing on to the senior team. I know one swallow doesn't make a summer and other counties have had great success at underage and never really converted it into senior success but you've to take stock of what you got and its going forward now is the aim. Back when Syl had the foresight to go after McGeeney we all thought he was mad but hey it has brought us forward. I feel we are not quite in the top 6 but certainly a lot nearer to it than to middle 16 or so before he started.

I'd love to see the foresight again maybe someone like Kevin McStay. A man who won an All Ireland Club Championship, a man who knows Dermot Earley well so no doubt someone who would be an asset even possible selector with him and now that he's recently retired from the army he's some time on his hands. Yeah in the future he possibly would like to manage Mayo but the gigs sown up for a few years.

I agree with you and I'm not jumping with some of the names being touted and I feel its going to be very hard for an insider to get a bit of unity back because this them and us rift will no doubt surface when the going gets tough in the future.

We're not starting from scratch but trying to move on from what we've gained. Please whoever the power brokers are this time around like as you said. Head back to the outside.

Last edited by Big Full Back on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:43 pm

Borderline wrote:

I dont see too much wrong with that. Maybe the tone is a bit overbearing but the facts are quite clear.
The bit about the young players is very relevant in terms of how this mess is playing out as a club v county thing.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:47 pm

whiteknight wrote:
I think whiteknight at them moment among all the hype it might not look attractive but if you see we've had good minor teams over the last few years who have been close on a few occasions to silverware, a Leinster winning U-21 team and a number of them progressing on to the senior team. I know one swallow doesn't make a summer and other counties have had great success at underage and never really converted it into senior success but you've to take stock of what you got and its going forward now is the aim. Back when Syl had the foresight to go after McGeeney we all thought he was mad but hey it has brought us forward. I feel we are not quite in the top 6 but certainly a lot nearer to it than to middle 16 or so before he started.

I'd love to see the foresight again maybe someone like Kevin McStay. A man who won an All Ireland Club Championship, a man who knows Dermot Earley well so no doubt someone who would be an asset even possible selector with him and now that McStay's recently retired from the army he's some time on his hands. Yeah in the future he possibly would like to manage Mayo but the gigs sown up for a few years.

I agree with you and I'm not jumping with some of the names being touted and I feel its going to be very hard for an insider to get a bit of unity back because this them and us rift will no doubt surface when the going gets tough in the future.

We're not starting from scratch but trying to move on from what we've gained. Please whoever the power brokers are this time around like as you said. Head back to the outside.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:55 pm

Reading the Damned United at the moment and it strikes me that the next Kildare manager is going to be our answer to Brian Clough!!

The next manager is going to have to be a much better politician than Geezer was as he was unable to plamás (excuse my spelling) enough people to keep him in the job.

I have said on numerous occasions I think Tony McEntee is the best manager around that is available but whether he would step on Geezer's toes given that they were colleagues with Armagh and good friends by all accounts!

Given that we will need a manager to unite everyone, clubs county board executive and players, Glenn may be the only one that can do that given his standing within the county.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:59 pm

Rather Tony McEntee anyday over Glenn. Only fooling yourself if you think Glenn is the man to reunite everybody. He's not the popular choice.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Where does McEntee live? If he is in Armagh then its probably a non runner for him as Grimley and O'Rourke found it hard going. Very unlikely he would accept it given the way McGeeney was ousted anyway.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:04 pm

If Tony McEntee has any interest in the position at all County board should move heaven and earth to get him, not that they will but I guess that is another argument entirely.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:05 pm

He finished up with Cross in Feb of thsi year so I would imagine he still lives up there alright.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:07 pm

McEntee spoke very well on the sunday game the other day tactics were spot on.proven all ireland club winning manager him over Glenn all day long
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:08 pm

McGeeney is highly respected throughout the country. You only have to see the level of support he received from former team mates, current players from other counties and past players and managers.

There isn't too many will touch this the way it has been handled. There's not many counties would conduct an open floor vote on the future of their intercounty manager and have the results known before the manager did.

Forget about a big name appointment.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:13 pm

The 2 names I've just hers are a joke. And if either get the job, Kildare football will be back where it was 6 years ago.

I really do not believe how arrogant a certain club has become in a short space of time. In the wilderness for 30 years. Win one championship and now they want to tell us all how to play football. Joke, absolute joke
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager?   Next Kildare Manager? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next Kildare Manager?
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next