Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Tyrone

Go down 
+34
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Stonecold
TommyKeegan
Taibi
Dinny Breen
Rex
Ogie
kildaregaa365
Onhisboot
hawker
johnsmyth
if_in_doubt
flourman
Sam1928
bag of white
Ohtoohtobe
lilywhites on tour
Westside
gmaccc
inexile
bite the pillow
bob12
jimmers
teedee
fatherted
OutTheGap
lillyboy
shoutitout
LillieLad
Gaa1928
Jimmy winning matches
kickingking
SeamusMurphy
topcat
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 6:03 am

TK is getting a lot of unnecessary stick over stating a point of view and he is right in that a lack of TCUP costs us that game yesterday. The lineball by Hurley was a mental error and the fact nobody dragged down Mattie Donnelly was also a mental error. These errors get punished at this level. If I was a forward on that Kildare team at the moment I would be very disappointed with our defending. To score 24 points and lose is shocking! Against Mayo we had to score 25 points to get a 1 point win. There will come a day where we don't score that much, will the backs bail out the forwards on those days!
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 6:10 am

Ballyboy you clearly read what I wrote but sadly didn't take it in, because I made my views on it "just being a league game in March" clear in terms of its importance for several reasons. I even said I believe staying in Division One for the next few years with so much youth is more important to our development than summer results. I also tried to bring some psychology to the debate but clearly you'd rather just skip such opinions based on football and have a pop at a guy who, despite being 8940.72 kilometres away only managed to listen from start to finish on radio and see 10 minutes of highlights within the last 24 hours when they aren't exactly readily available. And you can say I'm only harping on about the last minute, but it was my belief that the point of football was to win and from that aspect that last minute just happened to be the most defining, cost us the game and given the importance of the result in terms of staying up, of course it's what people are going to talk about! But apologies for highlighting what I believe to be abysmal errors regardless of the time of year, and apologies for bringing in an aspect of sport that most people tend to believe is vital given the margins. Maybe you are more old school, we can forget the ending and the result and just beat the legs off a table in Croke Park next week and "go out and tear into them".
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 6:20 am

TCUP? More like dcup. Cos we made a tit of that game.
Back to top Go down
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 6:49 am

IMO the positives from yesterday totally outweigh the negatives. I do agree that if we are to win anything we have to find that killer instinct and the know-how to win a game, whatever the circumstances. If lessons are learned from yesterday then it will be a worthwhile exercise. I think we have shown enough to have every chance of staying up
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior
Dinny Breen

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 9:56 am

Came across this last week and thought it was appropriate

THE MAN IN THE ARENA
Excerpt from the speech "Citizenship In A Republic" delivered at the Sorbonne, in Paris, France on 23 April, 1910

Teddy Roosevelt

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 10:00 am

But sure what did Roosevelt ever win Dinny?
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 10:03 am

great man for the auld quotes was Teddy
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 10:04 am

Jesus, I'm glad I wasn't around the county in 1998 - I can only imagine the grief...
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 10:18 am

Considering those who were around to see it have still not got over it, 1998 was to quote Dickens "it was the best of times. It was the worst of times".
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior
Dinny Breen

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 10:23 am

Was in Croke Park that day, have never watched the game since!!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 10:27 am

2000 cut a little bit deeper than 1998 for me. As heartbreaking as the final was, there was the consolation of the first Leinster in 42 years.

Galway were there for the taking going into the last few minutes of that semi final in 2000 and a few things just went against us.

Some day, the gods will smile on us. I just hope I'm alive to see it!
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 10:47 am

Ogie, I was around in 98 and I can assure you while there was huge disappointment there was nothing like the hysteria posted here in the last 24 hours. Some of the comments are akin to Pat Spillane's rant at half time in the
2000 Leinster final, silly stuff indeed. Been out and about today and have to say I didn't come across anything like what's been written here, wonder why that is ??
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 11:03 am

You're getting very precious in your old age ballyboy. Funnily enough, I heard a lot worse on my travels today than what was said on here.

People paid €15 into that match yesterday, they're entitled to their opinion.

I think my sig sums it all up.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 12:42 pm

Ah Dinny, love your posts, but you are quoting a man who thought if you weren't a politician you shouldn't interfere. So fair enough, I shouldn't talk about intercounty football having been nowhere near it. But by that logic no one here should be allowed a view on politics, film or music, cause you haven't made it. Sums up an self-protecting opinion from the confirmed racist Teddy was! Just that pathetic argument really angers me, and you're above it. But it's cool, presume you won't watch an ounce of commentary on any channel of Ukraine or a moment of analysis of any sport from a non ex-player. Just presume you stand by the quote, not just when it suits.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 12:56 pm

ballyboy wrote:
Ogie, I was around in 98 and I can assure you while there was huge disappointment there was nothing like the hysteria posted here in the last 24 hours. Some of the comments are akin to Pat Spillane's rant at half time in the
2000 Leinster final, silly stuff indeed. Been out and about today and have to say I didn't come across anything like what's been written here, wonder why that is ??

You sound like Micko - "I can assure you". Erm, I was around in 98 too, there was no internet forum for a handful of people that care about Kildare GAA more than most, including you no doubt, so you are just making stuff up to suit now. Mere words based on nothing. You even thought me referencing sports psychology was hysteria by sounds of it as well as fact I had to emigrate and only saw some of the game. Time warp here. You also sound like a local councilor.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Only one missing now is Baba
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 8:56 pm

One of the sane ones you mean. Or is the new man immune from criticism.
Nothing wrong with what TommyKeegan has said or any one else who criticised that result on Sunday. To not analyse and criticise a team losing a five point lead in sixty seconds is unnatural and shows a distinct lack of ambition and a will to win.
We were told so often last year that it's a results business. At the moment business is bad.
That could all change, lets hope it does but those last sixty seconds could have ramifications for years to come. Playing Div 2 football could set us back years, we had our survival in our hands and like a few players handling it slipped straight out.
Standards must be set and being happy with that loss and making excuses to beat the band will only lead to one thing, failure.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Your been a little to sensitive Tommy, nothing wrong with spots psychology but where would the words stupid, thick, and the term lack of football intelligence fit into a psychology programme, those are the words you used weren't they ?

As for the mere words comment, in the course of my job I meet meet many football people on a daily basis, I have yet to meet or hear anything that comes even close to some of the shite that's posted on here. The trouble with the more extreme posters on here is they like to think that their's is the common view, I haven't seen it and it's certainly not my view
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Ah Stonecold did you have to call him/her out !!
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 pm

I don't think anyone defended throwing away a 5 pt lead or were happy about it, what i saw was people trying to put some balance and context into the debate rather than ignoring the play for the vast majority of the game. Criticism and review is vital if we as a county are to improve but it must be reasoned and constructive. we all i presume want Kildare to be the best they can whether we're good enough to win national honours time will tell. Sunday was a kick in the guts but if we're good enough we'l stay in Div 1 it won't be based on one result but seven.

we can all be a little sensitive on here but it's only banter and opinions with no ones more important than the next
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 9:22 pm

+1
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 9:26 pm

ballyboy wrote:

An obvious reply from someone can't debate a point like an adult, who knows their argument is made of paper and no matter how far they dig they refuse to put the shovel down.

When you want to debate like a grown up let me know and we'll duke it out (Queensbury rules of course) as I said to you before I can take it. Whether you can is questionable. I'm not the only one who is seeing it now.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 9:29 pm

ballyboy wrote:
in the course of my job I meet meet many football people on a daily basis, I have yet to meet or hear anything that comes even close to some of the shite that's posted on here. The trouble with the more extreme posters on here is they like to think that their's is the common view, I haven't seen it and it's certainly not my view
A comment and a question ballyboy -
You're obviously moving in very polite circles in your job if you heard nothing worse than the comments here.
Would you include your own posts in "the shite that's posted on here"?  affraid 

Just asking!

Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 10:20 pm

That's my opinion, as far as I'm concerned it'as valid as anyone else's, you don't have to agree of course but you will have to learn to live with it.

Baba, would your Queensbury rules include your usual juvenile name calling ??

Last edited by ballyboy on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 10:25 pm

ballyboy wrote:

Baba, would your Queensbury rules include your usual juvenile name calling ??

I refer you to the below. When you're ready to debate let me know.

ballyboy wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone   Kildare v Tyrone - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Tyrone
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next