Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

O'Byrne Cup 2022

Go down 
+48
CantonasCollar
KILL BILL
jim
TommyKeegan
White Bridge
Onechance
seamymurphy
Southern Gael
centreback
Thin Blue Line
Bigfullforward
Copthefeckon
Curraghofkildare
flourman
Kildaremad
Taibi
learmus
bite the pillow
murof
Shergar
Cassanata
Manhatten21
Fizzer
Liffey Likes
lily4fr
FlourBag_1
TopOfTheLeft
BearintheSquare
Rex
smokey
CillDara71
lilysavage
Ohtoohtobe
Clubman
SplitThePosts
lomond
bloodsub
fatherted
Badger85
Gaa1928
if_in_doubt
micky murphy
GoDownOnIt
Flamingo
CILLDara 1998
Highball
Curraghplains
jimmers
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
murof
All-Star
All-Star

O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2022 11:35 pm

Think it's the first time I ever saw the words Paul Galvin and skills in the same sentence. By his own admission he reinvented his style to make himself more confrontational to match what Armagh and Tyrone were doing. If he can do something similar with Kildare and stop others seeing us as a soft touch then it's a good appointment imo.
Our best spell from 97 -00 coincided with a tough and streetwise set of defenders. Or was that mean defense the reason we did so well!
Back to top Go down
CillDara71
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 12:22 am

I don't get too excited over O'Byrne cup win, lose or draw to be honest. It's all about the league. Can't wait for it to get going again. Kerry will be a great atmosphere & hopefully we can pull off a shock but realistically Donegal is a bigger game.
(I'm basing that on Donegal, Armagh & Monaghan being the teams we are most likely to need to finish above to stay in Division 1)
Back to top Go down
seamymurphy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 12:23 am

I wouldn't say Mr. Galvin comes cheap.
Back to top Go down
seamymurphy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 12:26 am

Watching the Armagh v Tyrone Match and noticed just how direct Armagh were.. long balls to the FF line all through the match.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 12:40 am

I've seen clips with Rodman from the Chicago Bulls being interviewed and he was explaining all the homework he did to read the rebounds. He played the part of the lunatic but he did the grind.
Just in terms of Galvin, some of his best work was getting that dirty ball and that would be great to get some coaching on.
I am not saying he was Maurice Fitz but his short kick-passing game was very good, so that might help feed into out FF line.

Ger on KFM mentioned he had a word with Neil Flynn in the car park last night in passing and he said he was two weeks away from playing.

We do need him. Lookit, it's never great to play badly and lose but players have been given runs and now it's time to cull.

We need to really aim for Monaghan and Donegal. Being realistic we do not match up with most other teams in this Division so we might need to cool the jets after any losses.
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 1:27 am

Back to top Go down
GoDownOnIt
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 1:58 am

The David Hare appointment is arguably the more significant of the two and has more potential for impact!! Anyway, we'll know more Sunday week.... will be intrigued by team selection for this one and how we set ourselves up to play against them.

BTW, I totally agree with Billy Sheehan in the paper today saying penalties are not a skill of the game and we should be deciding games by taking points from 45 mts out or something like that.... penalties is bullshit

CillDara71 likes this post

Back to top Go down
CILLDara 1998
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 2:01 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Shea Ryan and Brian McLoughlin seem to be playing well in Sigerson so I’d expect them to be in the reckoning. I also see Daragh Ryan starting for UCD and I’d imagine Paddy McDermott would be in the picture too. Eoin Doyle should be in decent shape after the club campaign.
What’s the story with Feely, Neil Flynn, Alex Beirne and Darragh Kirwan, are they all out?

Darragh ryan was very poor last night not good for inter county football

He can’t tackle

I did watch game
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 2:17 am

GoDownOnIt wrote:
The David Hare appointment is arguably the more significant of the two and has more potential for impact!!

How long will it be before someone takes issue with him being a Dub and working with a senior club there?

Worked with Glenn when he was over Longford, involved in their back to back promotions from Division 4 to Division 2 whilst there and more recently involved heavily with Offaly and in particular their underage teams. Would have started working with the group of players who won last years U20 All Ireland when they were still U16/U17.

Very impressive appointment anyway.

lilywhites on tour likes this post

Back to top Go down
Curraghofkildare
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 3:17 am

Conway feely Neil flynn Kirwin and bernie are injured at moment
Back to top Go down
Curraghofkildare
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 3:17 am

Conway feely Neil flynn Kirwin  and bernie  are injured  at moment
Back to top Go down
GoDownOnIt
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 4:08 am

if_in_doubt wrote:
GoDownOnIt wrote:
The David Hare appointment is arguably the more significant of the two and has more potential for impact!!

How long will it be before someone takes issue with him being a Dub and working with a senior club there?

Worked with Glenn when he was over Longford, involved in their back to back promotions from Division 4 to Division 2 whilst there and more recently involved heavily with Offaly and in particular their underage teams. Would have started working with the group of players who won last years U20 All Ireland when they were still U16/U17.

Very impressive appointment anyway.

Yes and I see on his CV he's done some coach development work too. I wonder will he be involved in the Kildare Gaa talent academy?

Looks like a really good appointment.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 5:25 am

Guess what county has won the most obyrne cups ?
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 6:41 am

Back down to earth with a bang last night. Have to agree on the referee but that's not what lost it. Four scores in the first half; three in the second. Five penalties missed. Inability to kick a point from thirty yards out. Can't say I'm looking forward to the Kerry match. I think it'll take a season and, very likely, relegation to get a squad in real shape for Leinster.
Back to top Go down
kildareking
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2022 12:23 am

Kildare 2000 wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Shea Ryan and Brian McLoughlin seem to be playing well in Sigerson so I’d expect them to be in the reckoning. I also see Daragh Ryan starting for UCD and I’d imagine Paddy McDermott would be in the picture too. Eoin Doyle should be in decent shape after the club campaign.
What’s the story with Feely, Neil Flynn, Alex Beirne and Darragh Kirwan, are they all out?

He can’t tackle

I did watch game

Id disagee strongly darragh ryan is a very talented player. It takes time- look at tony archbold looks like a proper player when last couple of years he has gotten no game time. (BTW tony was always quality just was unlucky not been given a chance). Paddy woodgate has been phenomenal and the raheens man has been kildares best player so far this year.

Was very nice to see paddy and tony both playing well against laois when our senior 'proven' players like dan,kevin f, jimmy, hylo ect not showing up. Perhaps the tough training regime is taking its toll.
Back to top Go down
kildareking
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2022 12:26 am

Midfield is a a problem area. Feely will not be match fit for kerry- potentially one trial match before kerry so i dont think that would be enough. Kev ocallaghan has impressed me and been very eager and direct when he has been called upon. Could we potentially look at a Mazzy callaghan partnership for Kerry. or Callaghan Power
Back to top Go down
GoDownOnIt
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2022 12:59 am

kildareking wrote:
Kildare 2000 wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:

He can’t tackle

I did watch game

Id disagee strongly darragh ryan is a very talented player. It takes time- look at tony archbold looks like a proper player when last couple of years he has gotten no game time. (BTW tony was always quality just was unlucky not been given a chance). Paddy woodgate has been phenomenal and the raheens man has been kildares best player so far this year.

Was very nice to see paddy and tony both playing well against laois when our senior 'proven' players like dan,kevin f, jimmy, hylo ect not showing up. Perhaps the tough training regime is taking its toll.

I'm not sold on Woodgate yet at all.... nice footballer but light and not deadly enough for an inside forward. I don't think you could say he's been Kildare's best player in the O'Byrne cup, if he wasn't taking frees he wouldn't be showing up that much IMO.
Back to top Go down
CILLDara 1998
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2022 1:51 am

kildareking wrote:
Kildare 2000 wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:

He can’t tackle

I did watch game

Darragh he shadows tackle all time
Archibald is miles ahead of Darragh at moment

Brain McLaughlin probably will start in front of woodgate Brian very sharp for last Wednesday night scoring 1-2
Back to top Go down
BearintheSquare
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2022 3:59 am

kildareking wrote:
Midfield is a a problem area. Feely will not be match fit for kerry- potentially one trial match before kerry so i dont think that would be enough. Kev ocallaghan has impressed me and been very eager and direct when he has been called upon. Could we potentially look at a Mazzy callaghan partnership for Kerry. or Callaghan Power

Masterson did very little versus Laois. Id be going for Ocallaghan and Kevin Flynn
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2022 4:47 am

No need to throw babby out with the bath water either in terms of Kevin Flynn. He still has a lot to offer in the middle.
Back to top Go down
Thin Blue Line
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2022 5:04 am

Woodgate has been very good in the three games, his workrate and link up play has been excellent. Wouldn't be a natural inside forward but has delivered score wise in the three games.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

O'Byrne Cup 2022
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9