Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

O'Byrne Cup 2022

Go down 
+48
CantonasCollar
KILL BILL
jim
TommyKeegan
White Bridge
Onechance
seamymurphy
Southern Gael
centreback
Thin Blue Line
Bigfullforward
Copthefeckon
Curraghofkildare
flourman
Kildaremad
Taibi
learmus
bite the pillow
murof
Shergar
Cassanata
Manhatten21
Fizzer
Liffey Likes
lily4fr
FlourBag_1
TopOfTheLeft
BearintheSquare
Rex
smokey
CillDara71
lilysavage
Ohtoohtobe
Clubman
SplitThePosts
lomond
bloodsub
fatherted
Badger85
Gaa1928
if_in_doubt
micky murphy
GoDownOnIt
Flamingo
CILLDara 1998
Highball
Curraghplains
jimmers
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
TopOfTheLeft
Junior C
Junior C

O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 9:03 am

How people can observe a game and claim that Mick O’Grady is under pressure to keep his place baffles me, he’s my first name on the team sheet along with the Don, just because he doesn’t kick pretty and make runs up the field doesn’t define him as a player, he had his marker in his pocket today and won almost every ball that was there to win!

lily4fr, lilywhites on tour, Fizzer, Liffey Likes, Manhatten21 and Southern Gael like this post

Back to top Go down
FlourBag_1
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 9:37 am

Good run out to start the year today. That's exactly what you want and expect from a Glenn Ryan team - tough tackling and aggressive. Great to see some debutants impressing. Tuohy looks to be an exciting prospect, I haven't seen much of him, he was good today, he looked at ease at this level, got a few scores in the first half too. Paddy Woodgate was very sharp, although he needs to work more on his right foot, he is very left footed. He might get some game time in the league now that Kirwan looks set to miss the first few games. Great to see Paul Cribbin back in a white jersey. Jimmy got his customery few scores, he's such a clever player. Carlow on Thursday up next, will we expect to see many other new faces ?
Back to top Go down
lily4fr
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 10:25 am

Couldn't have asked for any more today. Huge effort and intensity. I'm sure Glen and the lads will be thrilled with that. Onwards and upwards!
Back to top Go down
Liffey Likes
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 7:56 pm

Positives
1. Decent workrate, from the full forward line all the back. They worked for each other.
2. High press - there was good pressure on opposition kickouts.I was glad to see this because I can never understand why any team concedes possession, this tactic effectively concedes the game e.g. Leinster final v Dublin last year.
3. Good game plan / tactics. It suited and worked well. The ball was moved at pace with some good kick passing.
4. The players appeared to understand their roles and played together as a team and not as individuals. Especially in the first half.
5. The new recruits took their opportunity to impress. There was some encouraging performances. Even some of the established players done good in new position e.g. Ryan Houlihan bulked up and done well.
6. Good to see Paul Cribbin back in good form after his injury. He worked well, broke some tackles and had a decent game in his roll. He did however give one silly free away after great work by his teammates which resulted in a Westmeath point. We need to eliminate this before the league. He also took the role to instruct younger players during the water break
7. There was good encouragement coming from management, they encouraged rather than berate young players who made a mistake. The management won't tolerate slackers but they balance it by appearing to instill confidence and encouragement in young players.
8. J Hyland was excellent. Looking forward to  seeing Kirwin and Flynn in there too.

Negatives
1. I can't overstate that the opposition was extremely poor.
2. Kildare shape fell apart as the game wore on. Even by half time they were not playing with the same fluency. They got tired and their shape got worse as several substitutes came on.
3. On a few occasions there was some lapses and we brought the ball into contact and lost it easily, especially the newer players as you would expect, this would be magnified if we were playing a division 1 team.
4. The strike rate needs to improve, in the next few weeks our opposition will improve by several degrees and there will be even more pressure on the kicker.
5. The return from frees needs to improve.
Back to top Go down
Fizzer
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 9:53 pm

Really good performance but O'Byrne Cup and really poor opposition. Its a bit like hearing about a horse working great on the gallops. Lots of hope but we won't know to later what it means!

However a few things to ponder.

Kevin Flynn brings great pace to midfield. On dryer ground he would be even more effective. However against top class division one midfielders is he tall enough to compete? Is that necessary anymore with kickouts going short ? Is mobility more important than size ?

Tony Archibald was outstanding. Again the question of size comes into it but in terms of football ability he really looks inter County level.

Ryan Houlihan at corner back was a revelation. I don't know if he won a tackle but he won every ball by getting to it first.

Mick O Grady had a good game but I don't know if that's true of Shea Ryan. We did well at midfield, dominated the game and you'd expect the centre half back to be prominent when that happens. He wasn't. Am I missing something?

After the Leinster Final I thought we had big issues with our half forward line. Paul Cribbens return is a big help but its unclear who our 10 and 12 will be. A strong half forward line is essential.

Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 2:49 am

Some kildare players will be playing Sigerson cup on Tuesday and Wednesday this week
Back to top Go down
GoDownOnIt
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 3:52 am

O'Grady is most definitly under pressure for his place.... he needs to improve and bring more to the table. He fouls too much and has stopped being effective coming out with the ball... I hope he brings that element back into his game and stops doing silly fouls giving away easy scores. Agreed he wasn't under too much yesterday but doubts remain and I saw nothing new from him. Lets hope he improves with the new management team. Wasn't it great to see Johnny Doyle talking to Jimmy Hyland and Paddy Woodgate during water breaks yesterday! Maybe Brian Lacey can work a bit with O'Grady?

People are blinded when it comes to Paul Cribbin, the good aul "Kildare madness" has him pegged as a super star when in reality he's average. Just so we're all on the same page, the "Kildare madness" is defined by the Oxford dictionary as "an inflated opinion of the ability of Kildare footballers that is held by people within the county".

I think people see him getting on a lot of ball and they see him score a spectaculer point or two and they think he's great. What they don't notice is that he runs down blind alleys, slows the ball down and makes poor decisions frequently (especially when shooting). This won't hurt us in the O'Byrne Cup against a poor enough division 3 team, but it will kill us in the league and champ.

P.S. Some of the comments about antigen tests and fevers and all that were hilarious, really hilarious. You lads and lassies are some craic!!
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 4:19 am

GoDownOnIt wrote:
O'Grady is most definitly under pressure for his place.... he needs to improve and bring more to the table. He fouls too much and has stopped being effective coming out with the ball... I hope he brings that element back into his game and stops doing silly fouls giving away easy scores. Agreed he wasn't under too much yesterday but doubts remain and I saw nothing new from him. Lets hope he improves with the new management team. Wasn't it great to see Johnny Doyle talking to Jimmy Hyland and Paddy Woodgate during water breaks yesterday! Maybe Brian Lacey can work a bit with O'Grady?

People are blinded when it comes to Paul Cribbin, the good aul "Kildare madness" has him pegged as a super star when in reality he's average. Just so we're all on the same page, the "Kildare madness" is defined by the Oxford dictionary as "an inflated opinion of the ability of Kildare footballers that is held by people within the county".

I think people see him getting on a lot of ball and they see him score a spectaculer point or two and they think he's great. What they don't notice is that he runs down blind alleys, slows the ball down and makes poor decisions frequently (especially when shooting). This won't hurt us in the O'Byrne Cup against a poor enough division 3 team, but it will kill us in the league and champ.

P.S. Some of the comments about antigen tests and fevers and all that were hilarious, really hilarious. You lads and lassies are some craic!!  

you watch a different game yesterday from everyone. else

O Grady was very good yesterday and has been for few seasons

Tell us who should play replace o Grady

Southern Gael likes this post

Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 7:08 am

Will the Carlow game be streamed?
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 7:24 am

Badger85 wrote:
Will the Carlow game be streamed?
Carlow gaa could do it

Carlow on Thursday night then again against Westmeath 2 days later
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 10:18 am

I think Cribbin was excellent in 2018. For example he scored 1-5 from play against Kerry when we were getting hammered and was brilliant in the win against Mayo. I agree he hasn’t hit those heights since but he’s had serious injuries which is hardly his fault. Hopefully he can get a clear run at it, great to see him back on the pitch.

CillDara71 and Southern Gael like this post

Back to top Go down
Manhatten21
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 10:53 am

TopOfTheLeft wrote:
How people can observe a game and claim that Mick O’Grady is under pressure to keep his place baffles me, he’s my first name on the team sheet along with the Don, just because he doesn’t kick pretty and make runs up the field doesn’t define him as a player, he had his marker in his pocket today and won almost every ball that was there to win!

Couldn’t agree more with TopOfTheLeft. Anyone who went to that match yesterday and though Mick O Grady had a bad game and is under pressure for his spot is living in Cuckoo land. One of the best defenders in This county for years and still is, if not the best.

Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 11:29 am

Mick O'Grady should be under pressure for his place though. Hes been a good servant and generally does well against Division 2 and lower teams. Take the point though that there is nobody there to replace him. We have been particularly vulnerable when it came to cover for that line. Am hopeful that our best ever back will be able to rectify that.
Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 8:27 pm

It would be brilliant if O'Grady was under pressure for his place as competition is always good but the reality (well my reality at least) is that he is the best defender we have for the last few seasons.

On Cribbin, he can be fantastic, score the spectacular point from way out and he always puts in a serious shift but unfortunately, like many other players we have, can be extremely sloppy and wasteful at times. As people have mentioned he can run into blind alleys but also mess up a simple 10 yard hand pass under no pressure. Hope he can prove me wrong but in my belief with a fully fit squad he doesn't start.
Back to top Go down
CillDara71
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 8:32 pm

Everyone getting very animated over an O'Byrne Cup match 😀 At least it shows interest is high for Glenn's reign I guess.

For me, our biggest single positional issue is - and has been for a number of years - no.6. Finding someone to fill that role effectively is crucial.
Back to top Go down
GoDownOnIt
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 8:48 pm

Newbridgeornowhere wrote:
GoDownOnIt wrote:

you  watch a different game yesterday from everyone. else

O Grady was very  good yesterday and has been for few seasons

Tell us who should play replace o Grady

A few new defenders have been uncovered from Naas and also in the Westmeath match. These lads should be given every chance to come through. There are now at least 3 more options in a backline of 6 - hence, O'Grady is under pressure to retain his place.

For the record, I said I saw nothing new from O'Grady on Saturday. What I did see was the same as what I've seen from him for the last number of years. A fine commited individual he is without doubt, but he needs to improve.

There's no room for sacred cows here, we've been very very average for the past number of years.

BTW, I presume that comment about him being good in 2018 was taking the piss??
Back to top Go down
Fizzer
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 9:00 pm

Paul Cribben scored 4 points from play against Mayo in 2018. (Newbridge or nowhere ) I think two with each foot.

Thats not just good, it's exceptional.

Back to top Go down
Shergar
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 11:38 pm

Think back to the Clare game last year and he was caught napping for the goal and you can find a few more examples over the years but its not as simple as saying O'Grady should be under pressure. Do we have enough of quality players to play in the full-back line to put him under pressure for his place? We haven't had that since he was first selected in 2014. We have to go by what we see in the coming months.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 11:43 pm

In fairness to Paul he was starting to build form last year and then another poxy injury had him back to square one. He needs a run of games.

McDermott and Browne will surely be pushing hard in the half back line and that could release Kevin Flynn. Like most teams have one lad to fetch and a runner, so Flynn and Feely could work.
Depending on the half forward line would Conway drop to 6?
Who else is in or out? Is Luke Flynn around (if he is I'd like to see him at full back).

Daniel and Kirwan inside with AN Other would probably be in pole position. I would have had Neil Flynn in there but his passing and link-up play was so good last year you'd leave him at it at centre-forward.

I am only going on the radio but the lads were saying that the team pushed up and didn't drop off for kickouts and were trying to turn it over.

Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 11:58 pm

I would imagine Jimmy Hyland is ahead of Kirwan in the pecking order, even without Kirwans injury.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 12:04 am

bloodsub wrote:
I would imagine Jimmy Hyland is ahead of Kirwan in the pecking order, even without Kirwans injury.

Ideally if all goes well you could have Jimmy, Dan and Kirwan inside.
That's a nice mix there. Then N Flynn at 11 and the wing forwards are up for grabs.

Liffey Likes likes this post

Back to top Go down
CillDara71
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 12:56 am

'In fairness to Paul he was starting to build form last year and then another poxy injury had him back to square one. He needs a run of games.'

Hit the nail on the head there Flamingo. It takes time to find form after a serious injury & just when it seems he is doing so, he then seems to get another one. I think he has been desperately unlucky with injuries....but a fit & in form Paul Cribbin is a super player to have around imo

Back to top Go down
Liffey Likes
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 6:49 am

CillDara71 wrote:
Everyone getting very animated over an O'Byrne Cup match 😀 At least it shows interest is high for Glenn's reign I guess.

For me, our biggest single positional issue is - and has been for a number of years - no.6. Finding someone to fill that role effectively is crucial.

Kildare have been pining for a dominant No.6 since the 90's. Plenty of people suggest Fergal Conway. A wild card who might be worth a spin is Kevin Feely.
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 7:01 am

bloodsub wrote:

Jimmy is best forward in county at moment

Kirwan Dan Flynn jimmy would cause some trouble any full back line in country
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 7:19 am

That's the full forward line sorted then. Any ideas on the half forward line? Neil Flynn and Conway if fully fit would be my choice and not sure on the other one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2022   O'Byrne Cup 2022 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

O'Byrne Cup 2022
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next