Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?

Go down 
+43
if_in_doubt
Misneach
SamMaguire
decbuck
flourman
bag of white
Fear An Geata
SeeTheStars
GaaHead
inexile
jj
Derfil
gaaman
Ogie
Dinny Breen
shortgrass
realfone
ChillDara
Cilldarcon
gaaweb
FearBan
tommyconlan
rgb
shoutitout
stanley
kildarecat
tomcruise
Stonecold
Always_White
LG1988
Exadmin
Sam1928
lilywhiteforlife
Yellow Pearl
Admin
centreback
Rex
johnsmyth
Cilldara_2000
lilypremier
Jimmy winning matches
walsheman
mrblobby
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 8:57 pm

You say the committe was formed back in April/May why did it take 4/5 months to get a new website & forum up and running. I'm not an IT guru but I can do both in 1/2 a day quite easily.

And yes I do find your rules draconian. Part of the reason good forums work is because they become self regulating. The old forum was that way, this one has evolved that way. There has been only a handful of interventions by the admin here and they haven't resulted in bans. It doesn't need 3 day, 5 day or permanent bans to operate a forum. What you will have is a dead duck.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 8:58 pm

The news is the key - can't see the forum being used because the board is much too sensitive to criticism... and 4 d luv of mother, if txt speak is gonna get me kicked out....
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:03 pm

Ohh and I use this at work and haven't found anything ott yet.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Having tried to join other forum for so long and with access being denied continuously I would be very reluctant to use it whatsoever. Keep us updated with results and tables etc and i'd be quite happy.
Ogie I must say I dread people constantly using text speak and whilst banning people may be a bit harsh it is no harm to try and minimise it as much as possible.
Back to top Go down
decbuck
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Stonecold wrote:
You say the committe was formed back in April/May why did it take 4/5 months to get a new website & forum up and running. I'm not an IT guru but I can do both in 1/2 a day quite easily.

And yes I do find your rules draconian. Part of the reason good forums work is because they become self regulating. The old forum was that way, this one has evolved that way. There has been only a handful of interventions by the admin here and they haven't resulted in bans. It doesn't need 3 day, 5 day or permanent bans to operate a forum. What you will have is a dead duck.

Perhaps we could have done it quicker. But a lot of time has gone into the fixtures in the past few weeks. Getting results etc entered is time cosuming for 3 or 4 people that do it, in their spare time. Not an excuse but listen we now have a site.

What rule/rules do you find draconian??

I totally agree with forums being self regulating. When the decision was made to run with the forum, it was made on the decision that the members would in time regulate themselves. We only made the penalties (which seem to be scaring people) to be open and transparent. It would save a bias approach to being an admin and insure everyone gets treated the same which is the norm on forums.
Back to top Go down
decbuck
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:06 pm

Ogie wrote:
The news is the key - can't see the forum being used because the board is much too sensitive to criticism... and 4 d luv of mother, if txt speak is gonna get me kicked out....

Text speak will get you a warning. Obviously this is not a die hard rule and if members want it reomved, then the majority will rule.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:06 pm

haha, ah I was taking the piss a bit - the text speak is fairly tough to read but kicking someone out for it as a bit harsh... like fone's posts aren't text speak but they're bloody hard to read... and yet it is always worth the effort because of the mine of information he is
Back to top Go down
decbuck
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:07 pm

jj wrote:
Having tried to join other forum for so long and with access being denied continuously I would be very reluctant to use it whatsoever. Keep us updated with results and tables etc and i'd be quite happy.
Ogie I must say I dread people constantly using text speak and whilst banning people may be a bit harsh it is no harm to try and minimise it as much as possible.

I read this a few times about people being "denied entry". I don't who or how the old forum was moderated.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:24 pm

Few issues I've had with the lack of Kildare website;
1. I live outside the county, I found it invaluable for keeping up to date with goings on within the county both in terms of my own club and general goings on.
2. We are in an All-Ireland semi-final and its a disgrace that there is no focal point.
3. There was a book of condolences opened on Leitrim GAA forum when Philly MGuinnes died in that tragic accident, it was massive and much respect to them, some of the thoughts and comments expressed there were from all over the globe. We should have had the same for Dermot Earley.
4. When you start talking about banning people you can forget about a forum.
5. Every junior club in the country now has a web-site and it can be linked to national and local fixtures, events and results. It doesn't take 4/5 months to do.
6. What is the function of the "IT" committee?
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:34 pm

No merchandising section on new website. Why not sell all the gear from the county shop on the site also. Missing a trick there.

Should have Podcasts and video links to RTE or youtube for highlights.

When posting new news you should always put a new pic beside the story to keep the site looking fresh and alive. Nothing worse than having the logo repeated for every story.

They are just some small things I picked up on.

It all means nothing unless someone sits down on a Friday and Monday and ensures all the results and fixtures are up to date.

I know this takes time and effort so I hope the right people are on board.

But look its there now and I only wish it success as it will benefit all of us. Good luck.

As for the forum I dont think it will ever take off like this one but will serve a purpose for some.

Finally it really is a thundering disgrace that during the best run we have had in years that there was no proper site running. Even thinking of revenue opportunities missed in terms of sponsorship.

Last edited by Sam1928 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Stonecold wrote:

Stonecold, I think you are being harsh on the new forum. Many of their rules appear in the "Forum Charter" on this forum - no text speak, inappropriate images, abusive language etc with potential bans being outlined as punishment. To my knowledge no-one has been banned from here. Walsheman was singled out and warned once for something fairly harmless but otherwise the forum has been incident free with little input from mods.

There was no excuse for the official website being down for so long, especially considering the great year we have had but at least they seem genuine in their attempts to get it back up and running now.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:39 pm

decbuck, since the county board had a problem with the old forum why bother with a new one when you knew this one was already in place?

Why not keep the website updated with news/fixtures/results etc.. which is what people have being missing out on over the summer.
Back to top Go down
decbuck
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:40 pm

Stonecold wrote:
1. I live outside the county, I found it invaluable for keeping up to date with goings on within the county both in terms of my own club and general goings on.
2. We are in an All-Ireland semi-final and its a disgrace that there is no focal point.
3. There was a book of condolences opened on Leitrim GAA forum when Philly MGuinnes died in that tragic accident, it was massive and much respect to them, some of the thoughts and comments expressed there were from all over the globe. We should have had the same for Dermot Earley.
5. Every junior club in the country now has a web-site and it can be linked to national and local fixtures, events and results. It doesn't take 4/5 months to do.

I don't think anything I can say will change your opinion. I appreciate your views, but there are always going to be negatives.
Back to top Go down
decbuck
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Sam1928 wrote:
No merchandising section on new website. Why not sell all the gear from the county shop on the site also. Missing a trick there.

Should have Podcasts and video links to RTE or youtube for highlights.

When posting new news you should always put a new pic beside the story to keep the site looking fresh and alive. Nothing worse than having the logo repeated for every story.

They are just some small things I picked up on.

It all means nothing unless someone sits down on a Friday and Monday and ensures all the results and fixtures are up to date.

I know this takes time and effort so I hope the right people are on board.

But look its there now and I only wish it success as it will benefit all of us. Good luck.

As for the forum I dont think it will ever take off like this one but will serve a purpose for some.

Finally it really is a thundering disgrace that during the best run we have had in years that there was no proper site running. Even thinking of revenue opportunities missed in terms of sponsorship.

I agree about the merchandise. It is something we will look at. We will get something about shop opening hours up in the short term and will continue looking into the online shop.

We are actively working on a media solution with a company within the county. In terms of youtube links, we can add them up alright. Any suggesitons?

The pictures beside the story is a difficult one. Most of the time an image is not available. We will keep reviewing this and see what the best option is.

Agree fully about the results and keeping the news up to date.

It is a shame no site was up. But we did push on a lot to get it up in time for the weekend. We have a facebook page that will be linked soon.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:46 pm

decbuck wrote:
Stonecold wrote:

I don't think anything I can say will change your opinion. I appreciate your views, but there are always going to be negatives.

Therein lies the problem. Post counts, on-line reputations mean nothing to me. I feel you, as in the IT committee, have let down Kildare people all over the world and you don't seem to have grasped that point.
Back to top Go down
decbuck
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:50 pm

shoutitout wrote:
decbuck, since the county board had a problem with the old forum why bother with a new one when you knew this one was already in place?

Why not keep the website updated with news/fixtures/results etc.. which is what people have being missing out on over the summer.

We discussed the forum quite a bit and a decision was made to go with it. We have a proper code of conduct with clear penalties. I know these are scaring people, but there were not designed for that. We looked at a lot of forum rules and picked a sensible set (we think). We knew this one was already in place, but for a lot of fans this would be unknown. A lot of traffic on forums would be just viewers, so we offer them the option to view a forum linked off the main site.

it was annoying the fixtures not being available. I think this will change and I think most people will like the new fixtures and results once they play around with it for a while. We will try and keep the data as up to date as possible.
Back to top Go down
decbuck
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Stonecold wrote:
decbuck wrote:
Stonecold wrote:

Therein lies the problem. Post counts, on-line reputations mean nothing to me. I feel you, as in the IT committee, have let down Kildare people all over the world and you don't seem to have grasped that point.

I don't understand your point about post counts or online reputations.

It is a pity you feel that the IT committee let down KIldare people all over the world. We have a task at the moment to deliver a website for the fans to have a clear reference point for news/ reference data (such as club contacts) / results and fixtures etc. We acknowledge that it is work in progress but we are open to listening and will take on constructive feedback on board. Don't forget that we are all Kildare GAA fans. I respect your opinion, but maybe give us a bit of a break here.
Back to top Go down
Misneach
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:04 pm

I wish you the best of luck anyhow decbuck. You were a brave man to come on here and face the music as so many people feel so strongly about the lack of website for the summer and about the old forum.

I for one though will be sticking with this forum. Smile
Back to top Go down
decbuck
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:10 pm

Misneach wrote:
I wish you the best of luck anyhow decbuck. You were a brave man to come on here and face the music as so many people feel so strongly about the lack of website for the summer and about the old forum.

Cool. Thanks. I did not come on a recruitment mission for the new forum. I firstly came on becuase of some of the inaccuracies etc. Anyway, I think I broke a rule about hijacking a thread!!!!
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:31 pm

decbuck wrote:

My point is I don't join forums to troll or have a high post count therefore I'm right ur wrong. I join for information, to give my opinion on something I feel very passionate about. As you say we are all Kildare fans but its only when you don't reside in Kildare you miss the link, especially living in Me-id. I try get to all the matches (O'Byrne cup, league, championship), I'm a member of Club kildare (ducks for cover) but I want the buzz of the build up, the banter, the gossip and living in Me-id jus doesn't do it for me. The web-site & forum to me was the link and now the fones, fionns, JME's, centrbacks, flourmans are now the link.

I wish you well and fly the flag proudly, I'll come visit.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:38 pm

decbuck wrote:
Misneach wrote:

Anyway, I think I broke a rule about hijacking a thread!!!!

Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Life_of_brian_allstar-5468
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:53 pm

I along with stonecold and other felt very let down by the shutting down of the old forum without warning and also the absolute neglect of the old website for years.
No results or fixtures updated, old League tables and it was the forum that provided up to date information on everything.

For people who cant make certain games both club and county, its forums like this that give people the low down of the happenings of the game, incidents, who played well ect ect...

The Championship draw this evening will be disucssed at lenght tonight, the morning and into the week, hopefully on this forum.

This forum has been excellent in recent times for League tables and results when it looked like not even the County Board knew what the league tables were for a while.
Back to top Go down
decbuck
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 11:39 pm

Stonecold wrote:
decbuck wrote:

My point is I don't join forums to troll or have a high post count therefore I'm right ur wrong. I join for information, to give my opinion on something I feel very passionate about. As you say we are all Kildare fans but its only when you don't reside in Kildare you miss the link, especially living in Me-id. I try get to all the matches (O'Byrne cup, league, championship), I'm a member of Club kildare (ducks for cover) but I want the buzz of the build up, the banter, the gossip and living in Me-id jus doesn't do it for me. The web-site & forum to me was the link and now the fones, fionns, JME's, centrbacks, flourmans are now the link.

I wish you well and fly the flag proudly, I'll come visit.

I don't this "I'm right, ur wrong". I just didn;t understand your point. No one said anything about trolling. If it is in the rules, then it is to stop people doing it, not pointing the finger at you.

Hopefully the site will be of benefit to you.
Back to top Go down
decbuck
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 11:41 pm

fionnmccool wrote:
I along with stonecold and other felt very let down by the shutting down of the old forum without warning and also the absolute neglect of the old website for years.
No results or fixtures updated, old League tables and it was the forum that provided up to date information on everything.

For people who cant make certain games both club and county, its forums like this that give people the low down of the happenings of the game, incidents, who played well ect ect...

The Championship draw this evening will be disucssed at lenght tonight, the morning and into the week, hopefully on this forum.

This forum has been excellent in recent times for League tables and results when it looked like not even the County Board knew what the league tables were for a while.

AS I said before, the county board did not shut the old forum down. The neglect of the site in recent years was poor, but it has been addressed now. Lets start afresh and work together to improve and enjoy the website.
Back to top Go down
rgb
All-Star
All-Star
rgb

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 11:55 pm

I step away from the computer for two hours and all hell breaks loose.....

To quote the scousers: calm down, calm down!

Sam, every time I see/think of/hear that scene from "The Life of Brian", it brightens me up for the day.

"Are there any........WOMEN............. here today?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?   Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!? - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare GAA Official Forum Closed?!?
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next