Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How will county board reduce debt ?

Go down 
+50
Athyman
ChopperDalton
lilly-exile
midfieldmaestro
ohluckyme
Cassanata
murof
tomcruise
peile
Dual
lastline
steviegenius
Ohtoohtobe
SamMaguire
Sam1928
Could'nt Trap Cement
Highball
milltownmary
ndog
stanley
SeeTheStars
Come on the Boys in Blue
Lily2016
BelieveToAchieve
jafm
kickingking
fargo
analysis
Loads of Pints
Big Full Back
rgb
wingback
TommyKeegan
Ogie
jj
Frankel
if_in_doubt
jim
Fear An Geata
centreback
Stonecold
Botch
lillyboy
losthope
Jimmy winning matches
Rex
fanofkildare
Taibi
kelf
Gaffer
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
milltownmary
Intermediate
Intermediate

How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 9:06 am

Is it true that at the county board meeting it was disclosed that they are spending 700 euro a week getting gear washed, dont know about you but I would wash and dry 20 sets for a tenner each.I was also told that 35,000 was spent on admin and postage..... postage I tell ye..... ever heard of email
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 10:15 pm

I had the misfortune to read Joe Brollys article the other day where the Kildare County board got a big mention about their debts and the fact McGeeney and the team were "jetting out" to Portugal for their training camp thus plunging us futher into debt.

This is a shocking piece of writing as we know the players funded the trip. I hate that shite where relevant facts are casually ommitted from an article that would change the whole tone of it or show it in a different context.
Back to top Go down
fanofkildare
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 10:36 pm

We all know what Joseph Brollys attitude about kildare is.
He also is not a fan of Mr. McGeeney so his article would have a degree of pre determined bias.
That is the problem with celebrity columns in the rags. No journalism training or not able to check sources.
The editor should have insisted on this but hey we live in the days of blogs, instant gratification re news etc
Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 12:12 am

milltownmary wrote:
Is it true that at the county board meeting it was disclosed that they are spending 700 euro a week getting gear washed, dont know about you but I would wash and dry 20 sets for a tenner each.I was also told that 35,000 was spent on admin and postage..... postage I tell ye..... ever heard of email

well they have to cover up how much is been spent on management costs someway.
Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 1:06 am

This debt issue is a serious problem and there doesn't seem to be enough urgency about tackling it.

The €300k we're getting from headquarters is apparently an advance on income we would have received later in the year anyway from coaching grants etc. The question to be answered is, what's going to replace that income later in the year? Is there not going to be funding in place for coaching?

As for the trip, regardless of who raised the money, considering the financial straits we're in, the €20/30k spent might have been put to better use by funding the team's regular training costs for a few months instead of being spent on a few days in Portugal. Those regular costs will have to be paid for somehow and it'll be the county board who'll shoulder the burden.

Is it not crazy to see the county board getting emergency funding the very same week that the senior footballers are on a training camp in Portugal?
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 1:12 am

Sam, the players raised that money themselves. So it's got nothing to do with county board coffers. At least that's my understanding of it.
Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 1:25 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Sam, the players raised that money themselves. So it's got nothing to do with county board coffers. At least that's my understanding of it.

I know they raised it themselves and that point was thrashed out earlier in the thread.

All I'm saying is, it may have been better to use that money to fund their regular training costs instead of on a training camp abroad. It would have been €20/30k that the county board wouldn't have had to come up with to spend on the team's costs.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 1:33 am

SamMaguire if the players decided at the start of the year They will raise the money for a training camp out in Portugal there should be no argument what so ever its there money and they can do what ever they like with it. They are saving the county board money here and I know for a fact they also raise money for there training at home as well.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 3:10 am

Regular training in recent times = regular failure ( in terms of delivering the badly needed silverware)

I would see Portugal as an added extra exceptional cost item that normally would not be covered by the regular budget and therefore was funded by the team themselves.

Who knows???..this exceptional item might finally get us over the line this year. I dont see it as a player or manager issue how the county boards costs are managed. The burden should certainly not be on the team to help reduce the training costs.

The squad and management have every right to ask for as much as possible in order to achieve desired results. Its up to the county board and those in charge of finances to divide up the pot as best they can to facilitate ALL teams and squads in the county.

I would very much see this as a failure of the county board and put it down to bad financial management.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:07 am

The team decided against a team holiday at the end of last year in order to take in this training trip to Portugal.

At the start of the year the County Board set out parameters for spending on the running of intercounty teams within budget restraints that they knew was coming. This 300k deficit didn't happen over night. After that whatever the county team raise themselves and spend that money on is entirely up to themselves.

If they want to blow it on beer and hookers so be it, its their money. They raised it.

Jog on SamMaguire.

Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:29 am

Well I see from the Nationalist that the auditor has voiced his concerns very strongly. Either raise revenue or reduce costs and if it's reduce costs then he says it has to be done immediately.

Maybe you should tell him to jog on Fionn!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:45 am

I'd tell him to jog the fuck on just the same as you. He's an accountant that see's nothing only figures on a piece of paper.

He couldn't give a bollix about Kildare football.
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:58 am

hope im wrong on this but i can see the co board approach all the clubs for help on this and you will see the clubs forking out money to clear this debt. bit like the household charge but a clubhouse charge. we are already paying yearly towards hawfield. i think the only quick fix for this is through sponship like the dubs did a couple of years back. if it involves naming your team on a friday at a press conference with the sponsors name on a placard behind the manager then so be it. we shouldnt have bein so quick to knock it a few years ago. makes good financial sense.
Back to top Go down
Dual
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:15 am

Players raising the money themselves is fair enough - issue is with the county officers they have already ran over the budgets they set at start of the year for this period looking at recent figures released - they don't seem to have any concept of how serious things are
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 10:58 am

Hope I'm wrong but this is not going to end well, something has to give, its unsustainable at its current level
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 6:14 pm

On the sponsorship side of things, I'd like to know how much Tegral are contributing to the pot considering Kildare's profile in the last 5 years.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Now what sort of event would get 30,000 people to part with €10 hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by Stonecold on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:26 pm

Martin Breheny having another cut at Kildare in todays indo, he seems to have a problem with us in general.Not happy with the training camp while county board in debt
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:31 pm

The supporters club 20 euro draw was very badly supported last year, these tickets should be on sale outside the matches, no better time to flog them than after a good win
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:45 pm

What business is it of Breheny? Or any other of his fellow vultures for that matter?
Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:46 pm

By Martin Breheny

Wednesday April 18 2012

REMEMBER the famous occasion when former Fianna Fail ministers Noel Dempsey and Dermot Ahern shook their heads in unison, as if training for synchronised swimming, before solemnly informing TV viewers that Europe's bailiffs weren't on their way to Ireland?

"No story here -- move on," implied the pair to an incredulous populace who had already heard contrasting -- and ultimately more accurate -- reports that the men with the dark glasses were ready to book into a swish Dublin hotel and wait for the Government to turn up with the deeds of our economic sovereignty in return for a loan to pay off a debt incurred by others.

Seventeen months on, the Kildare County Board has taken something of a Dempsey-Ahern approach to their imminent €300,000 bail-out from Croke Park.

Granted, they aren't showing quite the same degree of denial, having acknowledged that a deal is in place. However, they claim it's not especially significant which, of course, it most assuredly is.

Kildare are describing it as an advance payment. They classify it as money which would be coming to them anyway in the course of normal subventions from Croke Park and Leinster. However, it's being paid much earlier because of Kildare's urgent needs.

Now if everything were so simple, what has former Munster Council secretary Simon Moroney got to do with what Kildare imply is a relatively small timing adjustment for payments?

The truth is that he has been appointed as Croke Park's man on the Curragh, keeping a beady eye on Lilywhite loot.

Kildare say he's an 'overseer' as opposed to an 'administrator' and that he will be available to give advice if required. He is being portrayed as a friendly figure on whom Kildare can call to repair the calculator if it overheats and they can't complete their homework.

Like hell, he is. Now, Simon may be the kindest soul, who would stay up all night to assist struggling students with their sums, but whatever Kildare may say or think, that's not his function with them.

No. Simon is to Kildare what Troika officials are to the Irish Government -- a watchdog whose job is to bark if instructions from on high aren't being implemented. In Kildare's case, 'on high' is Croke Park, where there is serious concern over the possibility of contagion arising from the Kildare experience. Kildare today, where tomorrow?

If Croke Park trusted Kildare to get their own affairs in order, they wouldn't have imposed an outsider to monitor their finances. And, as this country knows, outsiders aren't always as understanding as the natives.

Ironically, the Kildare bail-out comes at a time when their senior football squad are on a 10-day training camp in Portugal.

The cost of the venture has, apparently, been raised by the squad itself through various fund-raising ventures.

Presumably, the vast majority of the money emanated from Kildare people or connections, since people don't tend to contribute to anything that might improve a rival county.

So here's a key question: did the squad's fund-raising make it harder for the county board to build their finances, since the same sources can't be tapped all the time? Also, didn't team costs over previous years contribute enormously to Kildare's slide into financial trouble?

And while the squad may have raised the money for this training camp, other team expenses are the county board's responsibility.

In effect, Kildare appear to have two financial systems, one run by the county board, the other for -- or by -- the senior footballers.

And if the latter is impinging on the former -- as it surely must be in terms of fund-raising, which is a finite source everywhere -- it's unfair on other counties that Kildare get bailed out when their finances spin out of kilter.

Presumably, Croke Park had no choice but to intervene when such a major constituent body as Kildare ran into trouble, but as players from other counties feel the April chill at training tonight, they will envy their Kildare counterparts, who are away in sunnier climes despite their county board's serious financial problems.

Truly, it's a paradox which even the Troika would find difficult to fathom.

- Martin Breheny

Irish Independent

hard to argue with any of what he says imo, esp where he is basically saying that the players are getting their money for the portugal trip from the same sources in general as the county board would and could get money to reduce the debt. this is a big problem and somebody needs to show leadership in the county board in resolving this.
Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:48 pm

BelieveToAchieve wrote:
What business is it of Breheny? Or any other of his fellow vultures for that matter?

he is a gaa journalist and when the money is coming from gaa headquarters of course its not just our business
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:51 pm

SamMaguire wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:

I know they raised it themselves and that point was thrashed out earlier in the thread.

All I'm saying is, it may have been better to use that money to fund their regular training costs instead of on a training camp abroad. It would have been €20/30k that the county board wouldn't have had to come up with to spend on the team's costs.

So as well as being amateur and all the sacrifices that go with it, they'd actually have to raise a shedload of money so that they can do regular training?
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Not hard to argue what the fuxk it has to do with him tho!

Amazing - jut amazing how certain Kilsre quarters were clamouring for success for the embarrassing decades between 1926 and 1998. The humiliating eras between 2000 and 2008. And indeed this year after the loss of our first 2 NFL games.
Since those 2 irrelevant blips, we have won virtually all our games and qualified for te league final.
Still the vultures circle. We hve won promotion, but let's just watch these vultures circle in the hope that we lose the NFL final. Sickening!

Paidi O'Se's term comes to mind. "A shower of fucking animals"...
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:58 pm

fat full forward wrote:
BelieveToAchieve wrote:

he is a gaa journalist and when the money is coming from gaa headquarters of course its not just our business

Would the millions of Euros debt that's been incurred in Mayo not be bigger news?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How will county board reduce debt ?
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next