Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How will county board reduce debt ?

Go down 
+50
Athyman
ChopperDalton
lilly-exile
midfieldmaestro
ohluckyme
Cassanata
murof
tomcruise
peile
Dual
lastline
steviegenius
Ohtoohtobe
SamMaguire
Sam1928
Could'nt Trap Cement
Highball
milltownmary
ndog
stanley
SeeTheStars
Come on the Boys in Blue
Lily2016
BelieveToAchieve
jafm
kickingking
fargo
analysis
Loads of Pints
Big Full Back
rgb
wingback
TommyKeegan
Ogie
jj
Frankel
if_in_doubt
jim
Fear An Geata
centreback
Stonecold
Botch
lillyboy
losthope
Jimmy winning matches
Rex
fanofkildare
Taibi
kelf
Gaffer
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:08 pm

We are in the midst of the worst recession in living memory. People are out of work, companys are going bust, SME's are struggling, banks will not loan money, disposable income has been decimated.

People would do well to remember all that especially the finger pointing ones. In times like this you have to cut your cloth to suit. Losing money is not the crime here by the county board. Its really the size of the debt and how it was allowed manifest and grow over a number of years.

Dragging the senior team and their "training camp" into all of this is out of order in my opinion.

Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Agree Sam, nothing to do with training camp and in fairness team mgt have done their bit in reducing costs. Travelled to Galway on the day instead of overnight accomodation and cut panel among other things.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Well why then can't something be done to shut the likes of Breheny up?

I said here a few weeks agho, when this training camp topic was reaised, that is was nobodys buinsess. It was organised and funded by the senior panel. I was shot down at the time and told that it was peoples business and what harm could discussing it do.

Now - theres people debating and arguing over it all over the place.
Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:59 pm

BTA what exactly do you disagree with what breheny said? i do agree with you he should be on about the mayo debt aswell. i have no problem at all with the portugal training camp at all and fair play to the players raising the money but would you not agree it will make it harder for county board to fundraise as they are hitting up more or less the same people the whole time for this money and people do not have as much money as in the past to give
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:10 pm

I would go one further and ask you WHEN do the county baord EVER fundraise??
They get income from inflated match entry fees. The get funding from Croker for NFL games and they get funds from the Supporters club. What events do the actual officers run themselves?

We have been told that Mr. McEvoy and McCreevy and co have put together a plan to raise money from local businesses and company's, was it something like €100 from 100 companies?

I disagree entirely with Breheny thinking he is entitled to an opinion on all things GAA purely because he works for the Indo. The inner workings of a county - however good or bad - are not the business of people the opposite end of the country.
Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:18 pm

of course he is entitled to an opinion on it when gaa hq is giving us 300 k bailout and thats what it is, also when an outsider is appointed to over see our finances, so be so f***ing stupid and dont be so bloody insular.
any way that is getting away from the point of how CB will reduce debt!
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:46 pm

BelieveToAchieve wrote:
I would go one further and ask you WHEN do the county baord EVER fundraise??
They get income from inflated match entry fees. The get funding from Croker for NFL games and they get funds from the Supporters club. What events do the actual officers run themselves?

We have been told that Mr. McEvoy and McCreevy and co have put together a plan to raise money from local businesses and company's, was it something like €100 from 100 companies?

I disagree entirely with Breheny thinking he is entitled to an opinion on all things GAA purely because he works for the Indo. The inner workings of a county - however good or bad - are not the business of people the opposite end of the country.

http://kildare.gaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=474:kildare-players-to-star-in-manor-mills-fashion-show&catid=197:club-kildare-news&Itemid=206

http://www.kclub.ie/christmas-candlelight-kildare-gaa

http://kildare.gaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=967:county-fundraiser-at-punchestown-races-&catid=41:home-news&Itemid=183

just a few off the top of my head....

Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Why is Breheny only having a go at Kildare are Mayo not gone off on a training camp and as far as I know there debt is well in the millions interesting. Question
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Whats missing in Kildare and has been for a long time now and covers all aspects of Kildare GAA is strong and decisive leadership at the top table and especially when it comes to dealing with Leinster councils and HQ and to some extent the media.

A good strong voice out front that acts swiftly and decisively to quell rumours, give facts, give direction and fights our corner nationally has been lacking I think.
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 10:27 pm

I have to say that I find this all totally depressing. Why is it always us ?

We are one of the best supported counties in the country and it's one bit of bad news after the other..

I have to say that I have always despised some of the power trippers and smug faces that congregate in that little room at the top of the dressing rooms in Newbridge , particularly on the big days. It's time now for them to get their fingers out and do something worthwhile.

Also I suspect that we are getting this coverage ahead of the likes of Mayo because we went looking for the bailout ( even though we are denying it , like some politicians that we all know ) and other counties are dealing with their own problems themselves. I might be wrong though.

Again , i ask why is it always us ?

Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 10:56 pm

tomcruise wrote:
I have to say that I find this all totally depressing. Why is it always us ?

We are one of the best supported counties in the country and it's one bit of bad news after the other..

I have to say that I have always despised some of the power trippers and smug faces that congregate in that little room at the top of the dressing rooms in Newbridge , particularly on the big days. It's time now for them to get their fingers out and do something worthwhile.

Also I suspect that we are getting this coverage ahead of the likes of Mayo because we went looking for the bailout ( even though we are denying it , like some politicians that we all know ) and other counties are dealing with their own problems themselves. I might be wrong though.

Again , i ask why is it always us ?

Tom, sometimes it not just us........

How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Balotteli-WhyAlwaysMe
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 11:20 pm

GAA County Boards have gone from committee meetings in shabby barns that were called club houses to multi million euro organisation incorporating everything involved with running a highly successful modern company.

Problem is the same people who were meeting in hay sheds 10/20 years ago to discuss the county boards fortunes are more or less the same people calling the shots currently.

The same way the game has evolved over the last decade the running of it has evolved more so.

To be head of a county board now you need to possess some of characteristics a CEO of most successful companies . An excellent PR person and communicator being top of the pile.
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Fionn even in business it's hard to find these kind of people except the multinationals, Glanbias' etc These CEO's are making mega bucks and spend every waking hour on their jobs. Think the likes of retired success guys are what's needed, like McCreevey.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:52 am

Just had a read of the Indo to see whats being said. Have to say that I dont see much wrong about Breheny's article. The only charge laid against us is that the CB were negligent in allowing the debt to rise to its current level. It was inevitable that the team holiday in Portugal would be raised but he does acknowledge where the money to fund it came from. Its also fair to argue that fundraising of this nature might affect the CB own sources of income and that is a debate that could go on for a long time. Still think that McEvoy and McCreevey have the abilty and knowhow to come up with innovative ideas to reduce the debt. Finally if you think the Indo was hard on Kildare try reading the articles on Meath who may have less debt than us but apparently less "decency" also!
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 1:01 am

www.hoganstand.com

Auditor spells it out for Kildare
18 April 2012

St. Conleth's Park NewbridgeAn auditor has told Kildare GAA officials that they need to raise cash quickly.

Kildare GAA's financial woes have been well documented in recent months and only this week, it has been revealed that Croke Park have agreed to give the Short Grass County an advance on monies that is due to them.

However, auditor Brendan Waters has urged the county board to raise more money in order to avoid major cuts that could affect the preparations for all county teams.

"If costs are not contained and revenue doesn't come in, we'll be a in a bigger mess in three of four years time," Waters told the Kildare Nationalist.

"The County board can't keep kicking the can of hope down the road. To my mind if the county board wants to maintain it's level of expenditure, particularly on its teams it's going to have to put a deadline on money coming in and I don't think that deadline can be as late as September."
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 1:29 am

Mayo debt €11M ??

Portlaoise Club is it €3 or €7M

Clara ?????

Probably plenty other Clubs & County Boards in similar and yet

Ke at €0.75M the big story for Breheny.

Tells the story.

Whats the story with his beloved Galway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 1:38 am

Big Full Back wrote:
www.hoganstand.com

Auditor spells it out for Kildare
18 April 2012

St. Conleth's Park NewbridgeAn auditor has told Kildare GAA officials that they need to raise cash quickly.

Kildare GAA's financial woes have been well documented in recent months and only this week, it has been revealed that Croke Park have agreed to give the Short Grass County an advance on monies that is due to them.

However, auditor Brendan Waters has urged the county board to raise more money in order to avoid major cuts that could affect the preparations for all county teams.

"If costs are not contained and revenue doesn't come in, we'll be a in a bigger mess in three of four years time," Waters told the Kildare Nationalist.

"The County board can't keep kicking the can of hope down the road. To my mind if the county board wants to maintain it's level of expenditure, particularly on its teams it's going to have to put a deadline on money coming in and I don't think that deadline can be as late as September."

That highlighted bit is interesting. I wonder how much of the debt can be attributed to Hawkfields re-development plus the failed move towards Tougher Park and the sale of conleths. Surely some consultancy costs there anyway. The auditor makes a point of mentioning the counties "teams".....

Some excellent points were made before on this forum by some about how Dublins huge sponsorship deal with Vodafone elevated them above the rest in terms of funding their teams and in some respect gaining a huge competitive advantage over other less financially astute counties. We could be seeing quite harshly what lack of sponsorship could possibly do in Kildare if we dont sort out this mess.

Its not an easy one as many counties dont have the huge companies or the same level of access to potential investors as the likes of Dublin and Cork would. They have the populations and they have the industries and consequently the money.

I think Croke Park cant wash their hands of this either. Fionn made a good point about the hayshed mentality. The responsibility should have been Croke Parks to help and guide all the various county boards in recent times. Instead it seems they took a head in the sand approach and were only happy to let counties like Kildare and Mayo flounder . The GAA likes to think of itself as modern and innovative. Hahaha....they couldnt be any more backward if they tried when it comes to stuff like this.

Croke Park should be the Corporate HQ overseeing all its subsidaries ensuring all GAA members hard earned cash is being allocated and budgeted wisely. Yes it would take an investment by the GAA in manpower but it would be money very well spent and indeed in the simplest terms a template for sound financial management and budgetary control could have been issued to all counties with monthly reporting on variances by county board treasurers back up to HQ where the full time professionals can monitor and take action quickly or at the very least guide and advise how much can and cant be spent.

Theres not too many variables in Gaelic Games. At the start of the year you know how many teams you have, managers and staff required, fixture list and travel requirements. You can make a very strong estimate of likely costs that can roll on or off depending on championship progress. You can make a decent estimate of your income from said fixtures and county championships, set your fundraising targets etc to match your income shortfalls and then you say to team managers this is your individual budget, get on with it etc.

The GAA cant have it both ways. They cannot have the professional approach and professional dedication of players, managers and county board officials without investment financially and still expect to remain this great bastion of Amatuerism that they make themselves out to be.

Apologies for long post.

Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 2:21 am

A lot of shite posted here as if no-one is putting in any effort to solve this, plenty is being done, for example:

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/sport/gaelic-games/thousandaire-to-the-rescue-hopefully-1-3746737#.T47Y9CZ8P4c.twitter

It's not an easy job trying to fund the huge money it takes to run our county teams, particularly the senior footballers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 2:29 am

Of course there is lots of effort being put in. The horse has already bolted.

That thousandaire is a fantastic idea and credit must go to McEvoy. He's putting in huge work.

But going forward we need more innovative people like McEvoy steering the ship. People who are use to running a business. That was my point.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 2:54 am

And my point is the GAA HQ needs to be more helpful and more involved with ALL county boards.

I wonder would a nationwide "financial cap" on Senior team expenditure be a way to level the playing field and also stablise individual county board finances?

Fair play to McEvoy. That is a good idea and good to see he tried finance from the states.
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 2:59 am

great idea sam as we all know the big team spenders tyrone kerry cork and dublin were all reported for having team expenses of 1.5 million plus(kildares was 800,000) and guess what they are the only teams to win an a.i. in the last 10years, so if kildare want to push on to win this they need to spend more and raise more money not cut costs but if sams idea was in place then everyone would be on a level playing field
Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:06 am

I wonder how much extra cash playing in Division 1 will bring in. Surely attendances will be up but the reduced capicity of St. Conleth's is not going to help.
Back to top Go down
fanofkildare
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:30 am

I honestly don't believe that the thousandaire project will realise the monies that the drivers of it believe. The potential market have already subscribed or should have subscribed to Club Kildare. There is only so much water in the well.
The feeling with club kildare is that it goes for the benefit of county teams but this thousandaire has the feeling of a county board bailout about it.
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 7:29 am

In my opinion it wont realise anything of any consequence either ,people are struggling to pay the 100 Euro household charge much less give 1000 Euro to an organisation which cant manage its own affairs and compounds it by failing to be transparent to its clubs.
Back to top Go down
ohluckyme
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:00 am

Agree with the last two posts, we all know Marty McEvoy deserves credit for pursuing this dream !! but there are not as many punters around with a €1,000 to give away, and let's call a spade a spade that's all they are doing is giving it away.

People need to be assured that if there is a contribution made that they don't find themselves back in the same muck in another 12 months time.

A suggestion for what it is worth, why doesn't every club in the County over the next 12 months do some form of fundraising towards the debt, it would not be treated as a levy and all clubs would then feel they contributed in some way toward helping out, there are over 60 clubs and if over the 12 months each club raised just €1,000 it would make a serious contribution towards the debt, in return the County Board would give each club 10 tickets to Kildares home games in Div 1 League 2013 and the clubs could then raffle the tickets and get there contribution returned.

I am sure there are holes to be picked in this suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How will county board reduce debt ?   How will county board reduce debt ? - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How will county board reduce debt ?
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next