Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Derry v Kildare

Go down 
+44
kickingking
teedee
hawker
lillyboy
if_in_doubt
kildareking
Onhisboot
jimmers
lilysavage
micky murphy
steviegenius
learmus
shoutitout
Flamingo
LillieLad
The Lillywhite
White Bridge
Shergar
shoeshine
Rex
Ohtoohtobe
Cilldara_2000
easyfromdsideline
KILL BILL
Gaa1928
Ogie
flourman
TommyKeegan
OutTheGap
Borderline
Xavi
murof
Captain1928
Highball
moatesports
Kildaremad
Onechance
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Kildare98
kildaregaa365
topcat
Jimmy winning matches
SeamusMurphy
Taibi
48 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 12:01 am

Broadly agree except I don’t mind O’Rourke quite that much. Spillane is particularly woeful though.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 6:27 am

The thing I can't understand is how the hierarchy of the GAA can watch that week after week, year after year and think it's good for their "product". They pump millions into Dublin to promote the game yet they have Statler and Waldorf running it down every chance they get and doing serious damage. I haven't watched them in years and it makes everything easier and more enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 7:03 am

It's quite incredible how badly RTÉ cover our national games... Then they start whinging when Sky get in on the act.

Sky's coverage is far superior... They actually had the revolutionary idea of McGuinness, Horan and Canavan doing an informative and entertaining tactical analysis of the game and being respectful of the teams.

I think it's unbelievable how insulting the RTÉ lads are to the likes of Fermanagh & Carlow. I see one of the Fermanagh lads said he doesn't give a toss what the RTÉ panel thinks. The amazing thing is that no one else does either and they they still subject us to them week after week!!
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 7:19 am

I was thinking today about this Derry game no one cares about and I was thinking has there ever been a team to go to such extremes as this Kildare group....

Beat Dublin (twice) at minor - then lost to Longford.
Won Leinster at U21 then lost AI semi final.
Got promoted to Div 1 and reached Leinster final at senior - then crashed and burned spectacularly the following year.

Consistency most certainly does NOT be thy name...
Back to top Go down
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 7:43 am

https://youtu.be/cJ5iKRpE41E

For the week that's in it and, appropriately, it's from Jekyll and Hyde!
Back to top Go down
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 7:45 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:

Here are the facts: O'Rourke played against Cork in 1990 which remains by far the worst All Ireland final I have ever seen; Brolly was substituted - in tears – during an utterly dismal semi-final against Galway in 1998; Spillane played in countless utter farces for Kerry that make Dubs' current Leinster routs look like nerve-shredding cliffhangers.

So, please - shut up the three of you and stop talking rubbish (fat chance).

Your point being?
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 am

My point being they constantly say the game was better in their day - Brolly literally saying the other week "the game was better in my by day" - when as plenty of us who saw them in their day can attest, it is fake news.

Back to top Go down
shoeshine
Junior A
Junior A
shoeshine

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 10:51 am

Will be at the match on Saturday. 1st win in a while. Never say no. There is still a game or two left for these lads.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 2:13 pm

I'd get a bit radical for this one, and bring in three of the under 20s. Our senior team is more important. The whole thing needs freshening up, and by the way, after the league we had, we should also have gone cap in hand to Ollie Lyons and Eoghan O'Flaherty to add a bit of experience and quality.

It's also long past time that Daniel Flynn was brought out the field and Paddy Brophy was played in his best position.

1 Mark Donnellan
2 Peter Kelly
3 Mark Dempsey
4 David Hyland
5 John Byrne
6 Eoin Doyle
7 Cian O'Donoghue
8 Paul Cribbin
9 Kevin Feely
10 Brian McLoughlin
11 Niall Kelly
12 Daniel Flynn
13 Neil Flynn (if fit)
14 Paddy Brophy
15 Jimmy Hyland
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 5:57 pm

I can only assume you weren't at the two under 20 games O2B.
Mark Dempsey was extremely poor in both games. His direct opponent scored two goals v Laois and against Meath he couldn't handle their no 19 who scored four points from play off him. He also failed to come out to the inrushing attacker for the two goals when he was the only defender back. Allowed them to run clear in on our keeper.
Brian McLoughlin has been in good form but is clearly only just getting back to fitness and would be in no way able for a game of this size at this stage. Looked lost even in the O'Byrne Cup. Don't get me wrong he's a brilliant prospect but I'd hold him back.
Hyland is a real candidate all right but I'd hold him back for the u-20s particularly as he is only edging his way tentatively into the senior ranks. Can't believe you'd drop Kevin Flynn who was one of only two to perform anywhere near the required standard last week. Finally, Byrne ahead of Murray? Please explain..

i agree with you about Daniel and Paddy
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 5:58 pm

I see. Attack the messengers instead of the message, is it?

There is no doubt that the football right now is dire. That it was also dire at some stage in the past is irrelevant. And the contrast with hurling is particularly stark.

I also don't particularly care that Fermanagh showed very poor sportsmanship against Monaghan. My point was that their win cannot be heralded as anything significant at all because they only got the win by a flukey last minute goal.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 5:59 pm

After Dempsey's struggles on Monday and Mcloughlin not being 100% right, couldn't go with that.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 6:12 pm

Nah I’m abroad lads, didn’t see Dempsey, I’ll take your word for it. Was going on other times I’ve seen him.
K365 I don’t understand why you think Murray is an automatic. Yes he was great for Moorefield, but so was Eanna O’Connor, and look how that turned out.
As for Kevin Flynn, I’ve seen him twice and simply don’t rate him. O’Donoghue a better player in my book.

Last edited by Ohtoohtobe on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 6:48 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Nah I’m abroad lads, didn’t see Dempsey, I’ll take your word for it. Was going on other times I’ve seen him.
K365 I don’t understand why you think Murray is an automatic. Yes he was great for Moorefield, but so was Eanna O’Connor, and look how that turned out.
As for Kevin Flynn, I’ve seen him twice and simply don’t date him. O’Donoghue a better player in my book.

Jaysus lads for me when we sift through the ashes of this horrible season (thusfar) Kevin Flynn has been a real plus. I certainly wouldn't be dropping him for Saturday. There's a cut to him and he actually looks like he gives a shite unlike a few of his teammates.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 6:55 pm

I didn’t say Murray was automatic. I thought he was head and shoulders Moorefield’s best player and in particular shows the sort of drive, spirit and hardness that the current team is really lacking. Some of those tackles in the provincials and All Ireland semi.
I would absolutely put him in ahead of Byrne who is a good footballer but very conservative, somewhat slow and has been off form all season for Kildare.
I accept it’s a risk but less of one than playing an under-20 at full back whose been skinned at corner back two weeks in a row or a half-fit u-20 full forward at wing forward. Nothing against either player but Dempsey has a lot to prove for me and McLoughlin needs to stay with u-20s.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 6:57 pm

Cilldara_2000 wrote:
I see. Attack the messengers instead of the message, is it?

There is no doubt that the football right now is dire. That it was also dire at some stage in the past is irrelevant. And the contrast with hurling is particularly stark.

I also don't particularly care that Fermanagh showed very poor sportsmanship against Monaghan. My point was that their win cannot be heralded as anything significant at all because they only got the win by a flukey last minute goal.

Wrong thread perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Yes, wrong thread I think.

Incidentally on the idea of football currently being dire, the All Ireland final last year was the greatest of my lifetime. Indeed, the Mayo-Dublin saga of recent years has produced entertainment and quality on a par with any sport I have watched in that time. I was saying to someone recently it would make a great 30 For 30 documentary.

But apparent football is dead (or something).
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 7:28 pm

I can tell you categorically that psychologically, physically, tactically that the U20s aren't ready for this game (so they should fit right in then - lets get that gag out of the way).

I don't understand Murray not being involved. But then I don't understand Brophy playing half-forward, the sloppiness of our tactics against Carlow, or only using four subs.

Dublin beat Wickow by 20 points and used six. Anyone?!

Even if we win this weekend, it won't mean much to me. Beat Monaghan, Tyrone or Mayo, then we'll talk.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 7:33 pm

I don't think any player is an automatic - but Christ the time has long since passed where this team needs freshening up. We've lost 12 in row and there has been little or no change in the first 15 over that period (or the five introduced)

James Murray has been on the panel 3 months now and hasn't even started a game yet.

I hope (and assume) Cian O'Donaghue is injured for him not to be involved against Carlow.

I just want to see some changes, some reaction : we haven't won a game in a year FFS and the same 18/19 players have been exclusively involved over that period - sure that's just lunacy.

Barring injuries you could set your watch to Leper being the first sub called upon over the last year, and he hasn't influenced one game he has been involved in (same goes for Healy)

2 questions I'd be interested in answers to.

How many from the debacle against Carlow will start in Derry?
How many should start
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Yes, wrong thread I think.

Incidentally on the idea of football currently being dire, the All Ireland final last year was the greatest of my lifetime. Indeed, the Mayo-Dublin saga of recent years has produced entertainment and quality on a par with any sport I have watched in that time. I was saying to someone recently it would make a great 30 For 30 documentary.

But apparent football is dead (or something).
lack game changes on Bench. These players wanted o neill gone hard to see a change attitude in 13 days . Derry are physical side .
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 7:37 pm

Yeah look I thought Murray was fantastic the couple of Moores games I saw, I’m just saying it’s a different level. But I wouldn’t object to him starting. The point I wanted to make was more the players I was dropping in the above team. There’s some of them that are very athletic and catch the eye going forward but I’m sick of looking at them giving away possession or frees or both.
John Byrne is not one of those players. I think he’s a solid all-round footballer and I’d keep him in there.

Last edited by Ohtoohtobe on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 7:37 pm

Callaghan a great servant to Kildare but he's past it and has been 12 months. Yet another of the many things I dont understand about this management set-up of late.

Stating the obvious but none of this bodes well for weekend. I honestly think Derry are going to win.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Incidentally well done to The Supporter in The Nationalist on another fine column this week. I'm glad someone recognises how outraged the hardcore support are with the performances this year because the players & management don't seem to be getting the message.
Back to top Go down
The Lillywhite
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 8:58 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
I'd get a bit radical for this one, and bring in three of the under 20s. Our senior team is more important. The whole thing needs freshening up, and by the way, after the league we had, we should also have gone cap in hand to Ollie Lyons and Eoghan O'Flaherty to add a bit of experience and quality.

It's also long past time that Daniel Flynn was brought out the field and Paddy Brophy was played in his best position.

1 Mark Donnellan
2 Peter Kelly
3 Mark Dempsey
4 David Hyland
5 John Byrne
6 Eoin Doyle
7 Cian O'Donoghue
8 Paul Cribbin
9 Kevin Feely
10 Brian McLoughlin
11 Niall Kelly
12 Daniel Flynn
13 Neil Flynn (if fit)
14 Paddy Brophy
15 Jimmy Hyland

Cant understand why Keith Cribbin isnt been played wing back this year he was very good there last year. Kevin Flynn has to play he seems like the only player outside of Daniel Flynn with a cutting edge to his game.

A couple of those close games in the league could have had different results if those two players were in the panel. Would have been interesting to see if Flaherty would have went back. He was always good for a couple of scores and accurate with the frees areas we are lacking in.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 9:00 pm

I'd agree with Brophy at full forward, and would move Dan to centre forward.. there is also a change needed at full and centre back.. but does anyone really think theryll be any changes from the norm ?.. doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Derry v Kildare - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Derry v Kildare
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next